What's the best way a club can honour former players/managers?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Here's what I can think of in order of prestige.

1. Naming the stadium after a player - this should only be done for very very special players/managers. I would say that only Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex would qualify for this honour at United.
2. Name a stand after a player - Same as the above but isn't as grand
3. Name a facility at the club after a player - things such as the training ground
4. Build a statue
5. Name a nearby street after the player
6. Name a room after a player - You could do this for your lesser legends.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Continue to be a success on the field so their legacy is talked about to a younger generation of fans.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Here's what I can think of in order of prestige.

1. Naming the stadium after a player - this should only be done for very very special players/managers. I would say that only Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex would qualify for this honour at United.
2. Name a stand after a player - Same as the above but isn't as grand
3. Name a facility at the club after a player - things such as the training ground
4. Build a statue
5. Name a nearby street after the player
6. Name a room after a player - You could do this for your lesser legends.
We should name the OT toilets after Alex Buttner

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
How is a building a statue considered less of a gesture than re-naming some training ground facility?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Sporting just renamed the academy

“Academia Cristiano Ronaldo”

In honor of the Goat.

RashyForPM

By actually honouring them, not tossing them away like pieces of trash. See Casillas, Bale and even one of the greatest players of all time, Ronaldo. That’s Madrid for you.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
How is a building a statue considered less of a gesture than re-naming some training ground facility?
A statue is generally forgotten and just sits there in the background with the other statues. If you name the training ground after someone, every day it's "meet you at the Ronaldo" or "he's at the Ronaldo".

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
A statue is generally forgotten and just sits there in the background with the other statues. If you name the training ground after someone, every day it's "meet you at the Ronaldo" or "he's at the Ronaldo".
Yeah for the employees at the club. Osgood is viscerally more remembered by the fans than Chopper Harris who has a match-day suite named after him, which isn't really the same as the training ground, but my view on how the two legends are remembered would remain the same if Chelsea renamed Cobham to Ron Harris.

Web of Bissaka

1. Name the bench seats under their name.

2. Make plentiful new awards using their name, the more the merrier.
  • eg. Season 20/21 Solskjaer's Super-Sub of the Season goes to...
  • Beckham's Assist of the Season
  • Tackle of the Season
  • Vidic's Heading of the Season
  • etc
3. Facilities naming.
  • eg. Phil Jones Medical Centre
  • Gym
  • Canteen
  • Parking area
  • etc
4. Goal posts
  • Schmeichel's Goal Posts (Old Trafford)
  • De Gea's Goal Posts (Training)
5. Corner Flags

6. Retire Shirt # eg. no more #7 and watch the world burns.

7. Every metre grass in old trafford.

8. Rooney's remote controller

I really hate these over honoring of players/managers with all these kind of honors. Honestly I feel nothing with the awards names, stands names, statues.. too artificial. Isn't memories and fondness with all the great feelings when we remember and tell the stories about them enough? But I suppose a lot of people are into it, whatever rocks your boat.

I think it should be reserved only for the greatest of the greatest eg. SAF, Busby, etc. Only those that are the biggest legend. The lesser legends shouldn't count. It's so going to be a big pile of mess considering we have so many legends. We're spoiled I know.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Continue to be a success on the field so their legacy is talked about to a younger generation of fans.
This is pretty much it. No one knows any of the nottingham forrest players as they have no fans today who bother to dig up their stories.

My grandfather used to always talk about Uwe Seeler being the best player he had ever seen, yet he seems to be totally forgotten by football fans today as HSV turned to shit so no one is upholding his legacy today.

RashyForPM

First and foremost, keep playing well to please him and as many people have said, uphold his legacy. Then, maybe name something after him. If it’s a massive club legend like Sir Alex or Sir Bobby, build a statue outside the ground or in the city centre too.

cj_sparky

After 12 seasons of service, Ed Woodward walks up next to you in the dressing room after the last game of the season and tells you that you won't be getting a new deal. Not giving you or the fans a chance to say a proper good bye.

Loon

:lol:
This is pretty much it. No one knows any of the nottingham forrest players as they have no fans today who bother to dig up their stories.
I don't think that's true. They've even made recent documentaries about that Clough Forest period; I think most Forest fans would have seen it and know of the players. It was a great documentary, BTW.

Loon

:lol:
I doubt they'd ever retire a number unless it was a tragedy like the lad at Ajax.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Give them a good job after they retire as a footballer to keep them from being shit pundits on TV and ruin their image for some of the fans, or them talking shit about the club just because.. well they're pundits, they should feel entitled.

Crustanoid

Phil Jones is coming up for testimonial year. We could name a pile of rubble outside OT after him

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If you have a massively successful manager, replacing him with a series of useless dipshits will ensure the fans love him even more that they did when he was manager.

There's no better way to cement a legacy.