What's the latest news on MH370?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I am pretty sure there was a thread on it but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, has there been any news of note since they found some of the debris? The plane has been missing for over 3 years now...

wr8_utd

:'(
I think apart from the stuff they'd found off those islands near Africa there's been nothing found. Some Australian scientists claim they know what particular part of the ocean it probably is in but I don't think there's another search planned anytime soon.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I'm surprised we aren't yet at the level of technology to find a plane more quickly in such a case.
Why is it a surprise? You know how big the ocean is? You know all the pieces of the plane that were not taken away on the currents are now deep under water amongst all the other stuff on the bottom of the ocean?

JustAFan

I think apart from the stuff they'd found off those islands near Africa there's been nothing found. Some Australian scientists claim they know what particular part of the ocean it probably is in but I don't think there's another search planned anytime soon.
Last I heard the area it was narrowed down to still left it akin to finding a needle in a gigantic haystack.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Search ws suspended in Jan 2017 as the whole 120,000kms had been searched. Some scientists recommended extending the search to the North after further working of telemetry data but this would have cost another $40 million and neither China nor Malaysia put their hand up to fund it so Australia wasn't going to go it alone.

Moby

Dick
Why is it a surprise? You know how big the ocean is? You know all the pieces of the plane that were not taken away on the currents are now deep under water amongst all the other stuff on the bottom of the ocean?
We have the surface of the moon better mapped than the bottom of the oceans, much less underneath the strongest current on Earth.
All true, is there any place that lists the number of initialtives along with their funding that have been taken to explore the depths of our seas in comparison to the Space Exploration ones? There's definitely been a hue and cry over it by the Marine Sector and I've heard plenty of people being disappointed at it being neglected given we could find a lot of potentially groundbreaking resources or materials down there, not to mention that it's all relatively more accessible than the dirt on the surface of Mars and should ideally be prioritised.

A lot of Space Exploration is purely academic as opposed to the Marine Exploration which could probably provide solutions to some of the current limitations we face in the extent of our technology.

JustAFan

Actually started watching a documentary on this last night, and one of the "experts" had a good response when asked about how a plane could just disappear like that and not be found, she said "Most people really have no idea just how big the world actually is."

She did not come across as condescending when she said it, more just matter of fact.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Next month will be the 4th year that MH370 has been missing.

Where the feck is this plane?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Next month will be the 4th year that MH370 has been missing.

Where the feck is this plane?
I heard that recently a boat searching for it went off radar for a few days (turned its transponders off, ironically). One theory is that it found something and as they will be paid according to what they find, they likely went off grid so they could go back and investigate it fully and also keep the location a secret so they can exchange it for their fee.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I heard that recently a boat searching for it went off radar for a few days (turned its transponders off, ironically). One theory is that it found something and as they will be paid according to what they find, they likely went off grid so they could go back and investigate it fully and also keep the location a secret so they can exchange it for their fee.
I guess that theory is grounded now.

baskinginthesun

The Malaysian government, I think, just released it's final report. Basically, nothing conclusive came of it. The highlights were: there is no evidence of suicide, there is no evidence of terrorist attack, there is no evidence of a third party intervening..... you get the idea.

While there is no conclusive answer, they cannot rule anything out either. Makes sense, how can they with the lack of information or evidence to back any theory up.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The Malaysian government, I think, just released it's final report. Basically, nothing conclusive came of it. The highlights were: there is no evidence of suicide, there is no evidence of terrorist attack, there is no evidence of a third party intervening..... you get the idea.

While there is no conclusive answer, they cannot rule anything out either. Makes sense, how can they with the lack of information or evidence to back any theory up.
It was shite for such a long report that took years. Basically said they have no fecking clue.
Any hope nosedived when you read it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just dawned on me that this plane is actually still missing. Happened almost 5 years ago (March 2014).

I think last November new debris washed up in Madagascar.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Shouldn’t planes just ping GPS every 30 seconds or so? That would surely solve the problem. Also speaking as someone who has absolutely no clue about aviation.

Patrick08

Shouldn’t planes just ping GPS every 30 seconds or so? That would surely solve the problem. Also speaking as someone who has absolutely no clue about aviation.
It can only work till the transponder unit inside the plane is still working and not switched off manually or stopped working due to some reasons like fire or malfunctioning.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Think short of major technology advances to make combing the ocean a much easier task, we might never find the main bulk of the plane or know what happened to it.

Truly fascinating story, just have to hope that eventually someone comes up with a way of finding it and the interest is still there to find it when it happens.

Green_Red

They do, but the pilot actually deactivated the tracking systems on the plane, which is why it is lost. Also, pinging a GPS is considerably easier when you are on the surface of the earth as opposed to underneath thousands of feet of water. Another interesting point is that GPS only works in certain conditions. Anyone here that does some hiking will be aware of the dangers of relying on GPS in areas where there are silver / gold mines, so it's far from a perfect technology.

Patrick08

Think short of major technology advances to make combing the ocean a much easier task, we might never find the main bulk of the plane or know what happened to it.

Truly fascinating story, just have to hope that eventually someone comes up with a way of finding it and the interest is still there to find it when it happens.
May be decades later just like titanic was found at the bottom of the ocean somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I said in a previous thread but I was involved in helping the search for it. One of our Clients was in charge of the search and we leased them all the subsea Sonars (that I maintained) etc that were used. A few of my friends were actually the ones operating the equipment in the Ocean. I was meant to be going to help but left the company a week before I was scheduled to go. Most of the equipment was able to scan 5km below the seabed (was a few years ago now but think it was mainly EM 2040s that were being used). Scanned a huge area and virtually nothing was found bar some debris that wasn't 100% from the plane.

Think barring some massive advance in technology or new information regarding the search area, it probably won't be found. The technology used was already very good, not sure how much further it will advance in next 10/20 years.

Patrick08

I said in a previous thread but I was involved in helping the search for it. One of our Clients was in charge of the search and we leased them all the subsea Sonars (that I maintained) etc that were used. A few of my friends were actually the ones operating the equipment in the Ocean. I was meant to be going to help but left the company a week before I was scheduled to go. Most of the equipment was able to scan 5km below the seabed (was a few years ago now but think it was mainly EM 2040s that were being used). Scanned a huge area and virtually nothing was found bar some debris that wasn't 100% from the plane.

Think barring some massive advance in technology or new information regarding the search area, it probably won't be found. The technology used was already very good, not sure how much further it will advance in next 10/20 years.
May be they were just searching at the wrong place.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
May be they were just searching at the wrong place.
Possibly, there was a decent area searched but obviously the ocean is huge. Can't remember the exact measurements of the area searched. They did narrow it down to a specific area that they were confident it was in though.