What's with Chelsea and hijacking transfers?

Eplel

It feels like they do it more often that pursuing their own targets.

Robben,Obi Mikel, Willian , Lmaο Felix, FDJ, to name a few sagas.

You'd think they'd learn their lesson when Barcelona did it to them 3 times in 1 window, but now they've hijacked Mudryk.

Chairman Steve

Peter Kenyon had the boardroom wiretapped 20 years ago when he left us for them, and no-one at United has been able to locate the tapping gadget in that time.

Seij

I think Boehly got traumatized by Barcelona over the summer and is hellbent on "I'M THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!" thing.

You gotta give him credit for being able to get this done so quickly though.

Seij

They're like us under Woodward (Sanchez, Fred, Maguire), only more shit.
No way. Woodward was far worse than Boehly. At least Boehly doesn't dillydally trying to save a few quids and gets his business done very quickly.

Boehly's a bit of a clown right now but Ed was a disaster.

Pronewbie

Peep
Boehly, a financier, is acting like he's baked in hyperinflation in the west and wants to quickly invest all his dollars into "assets".
That's the only way I've been able to rationalise his behaviour.

bringbackbebe

Let's hope they compete with Everton for our Swedish wonderkid who's available for a cut price of 80m. 10m off, only for Chelsea.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It feels like they do it more often that pursuing their own targets.

Robben,Obi Mikel, Willian , Lmaο Felix, FDJ, to name a few sagas.

You'd think they'd learn their lesson when Barcelona did it to them 3 times in 1 window, but now they've hijacked Mudryk.
John Obi Mikel was not poached. He signed an illegal contract with your club for which the courts rules Chelsea were owed the money back by Lyn Oslo and their manager received a suspended jail sentence. We paid your club to get the player early instead of waiting forever for the legalities to end. You’ll find Chelsea was originally involved in bringing Mikel to Europe earlier than the transfer to your club.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What lesson? Do you think that Barcelona looked at Chelsea’s transfer history and thought “someone should show them how it feels”?

If anything, it should only encourage them to do it more.

OmarUnited4ever

As long as the player does well for them, then it's not really a hijacking as in just signing the player to block the other team from having him, and right now, that Chelsea side needs an overhaul anyway so they need to sign a ton of players.

ColvaleGoa

No way. Woodward was far worse than Boehly. At least Boehly doesn't dillydally trying to save a few quids and gets his business done very quickly.

Boehly's a bit of a clown right now but Ed was a disaster.
100 per cent true!

AndySmith1990

Just highlights a lack of internal planning and a scattergun approach. It's common to see from incompetent management

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They do have a real lack of their own identity.

Right now, they could have a squad that included Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Tomori, Guehi, Lamptey/Livramento, Musiala etc…. They could have saved hundreds of millions and had players who love the club in their squad.

It would give them a real identity and they could bring in specific targets, world class players to enhance what they have. There would be a real heart to the team.

But they just buy a lot of average and let these players go for peanuts. Meanwhile, they continue to search for their own identity and their merry band of mercenaries continues to go up and down depending on how much they like the manager.

Boelhy was a chance for a reset and it looks like he will just accelerate the madness.

McTerminator

I think Boehly got traumatized by Barcelona over the summer and is hellbent on "I'M THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!" thing.

You gotta give him credit for being able to get this done so quickly though.
We never gave Woodward credit for dramatically overpaying and scuffing the wage structure though?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They do have a real lack of their own identity.

Right now, they could have a squad that included Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Tomori, Guehi, Lamptey/Livramento, Musiala etc…
Abraham can't get a game in Italy, CHO isnt exactly tearing up trees in Germany plus Lamptey, Livra and Musiala rejected contract extensions, they'd all be at Chelsea if they had wanted to be.

Selling Guehi and Tomori for something like 50 million was a mistake in my eyes but it certainly wasn't "peanuts".

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
John Obi Mikel was not poached. He signed an illegal contract with your club for which the courts rules Chelsea were owed the money back by Lyn Oslo and their manager received a suspended jail sentence. We paid your club to get the player early instead of waiting forever for the legalities to end. You’ll find Chelsea was originally involved in bringing Mikel to Europe earlier than the transfer to your club.
Regardless of all that, Chelsea never seem to have any long term planning in place. You literally dont have any plans on how to shape up your squad. All you do is flap around in the transfer window and go after whosoever is available.

You matched our Lukaku bid but he chose us(sad, but funnier when he returned to you). You stepped in and got Cucurella when City were about to sign him. Doing the same with Mudryk. Tried to do the same with Raphinha. Did the same with Jorginho when City were negotiating. Did the same with Pedro when he was heavily linked with us throughout the window. Alisson?

We never hear about any players being on Chelsea's radar. The only time you had great league seasons were when you planned your window properly - when you got 3 players from Atletico, Matic, Fabregas under Jose and then signed Kante, Rudiger, Alonso etc under Conte.

Maluco

Abraham can't get a game in Italy, CHO isnt exactly tearing up trees in Germany plus Lamptey, Livra and Musiala rejected contract extensions, they'd all be at Chelsea if they had wanted to be.

Selling Guehi and Tomori for something like 50 million was a mistake in my eyes but it certainly wasn't "peanuts".
That’s the issue though, they have left because they couldn’t see a pathway through to the team. It’s such an amazing youth system. I can’t think of any English team that has produced as many good players as Chelsea have in recent years.

Keeping Abraham and investing game time in CHO would have been much better than Lukaku/Werner, for example. Average players like Ziyech and Pulisic litter the squad when it could be two of your own.

I just think that Chelsea’s identity is on their doorstep and if you are going with a long term strategy, that academy should be at the very center of it. Early signs point to a further descent into madness.

duffer

Scout
That’s the issue though, they have left because they couldn’t see a pathway through to the team. It’s such an amazing youth system. I can’t think of any English team that has produced as many good players as Chelsea have in recent years.
Lamptey and Livramento's pathway was blocked by another academy graduate, Reece James. Not really much we could do about that.

Musiala didn't leave because he thought he couldn't make the first team, he left because he wanted to play for Bayern Munich.

Maluco

Lamptey and Livramento's pathway was blocked by another academy graduate, Reece James. Not really much we could do about that.

Musiala didn't leave because he thought he couldn't make the first team, he left because he wanted to play for Bayern Munich.
It is almost as if depending on Reece James as a sole attacking right back couldn’t possibly backfire!

duffer

Scout
It is almost as if depending on Reece James as a sole attacking right back couldn’t possibly backfire!
As I said, we tried to keep both Lamptey and Livramento but they both decided to not stay and fight with James for a spot.

Ironically they've both also had horrible injury problems.

Maluco

As I said, we tried to keep both Lamptey and Livramento but they both decided to not stay and fight with James for a spot.

Ironically they've both also had horrible injury problems.
That is fine if you really think that Chelsea and their constant manager changeovers and erratic market spending doesn’t influence player’s and agent’s decisions, but I think it does.

Far, far too many have gotten lost in the shuffle at Chelsea. If they had contingency, clearer pathways to the first team and more stability in their coaching set-up, maybe these players would want to sign and these talented young players wouldn’t have such a start-stop progression to minutes and the first team.

Potter won’t succeed as a long term solution with short term sporadic moves in the market. It’s just more high-paid players who came for the money that won’t respect him.

duffer

Scout
That is fine if you really think that Chelsea and their constant manager changeovers and erratic market spending doesn’t influence player’s and agent’s decisions, but I think it does.
Those things have certainly had an impact of course over the years, just not with Livramento, Lamptey (didn't want to spend years trying to displace Reece James) or Musiala (wanted to move home to Germany and Bayern Munich).

Houdini

Chelsea are the cancer of the EPL. Have been since they let the Putin's demon in.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You matched our Lukaku bid but he chose us(sad, but funnier when he returned to you).
I mean, we were pretty much chasing Lukaku from the moment Conte arrived. In this particular case it was very much you playing the role as hijacker.

We never hear about any players being on Chelsea's radar. The only time you had great league seasons were when you planned your window properly - when you got 3 players from Atletico, Matic, Fabregas under Jose and then signed Kante, Rudiger, Alonso etc under Conte.
Rudiger was signed the year after while Alonso was a last minute deal that came totally out of the blue (alongside Luiz returning).

BerryBerryShrew

Meh. We completely hijacked Lyon's deal with Feyenoord to bring in Malacia in the summer. It happens. Let another club do the legwork and then take advantage. Like the Vulture in Brooklyn99.

For Mudryk, it seems clear that Arse was his preferred option, so Chelsea just waited in the shadows to see if Arsenal would pay Shakhtar's asking price, and then pounced when Arsenal didn't. Nothing strange about that really. It's an intrinsically risky signing for an inflated fee, but the manner of the signing wasn't that unusual.

Blood Mage

Boehly swinging his dick around showing everyone who's boss (in his mind).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Chelsea are the cancer of the EPL. Have been since they let the Putin's demon in.
Their old poaching style was a lot lot better though. Robben and gang.

The players they're bringing in for insane fees now don't exactly worry us.

Irrational.

It's just part of their DNA. They're the equivalent of that traitor in The Italian Job played by Edward Norton who ends up living the others' dream lives. Nothing about that club is original.

McTerminator

Woodward paid huge wages for average players as every top target rejected us. Not sure Boehy is paying huge wages as well.
We don’t know that part yet, but so far he looks like Woodward 2.0 and I’m looking forward to watching it unfold!