g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What's wrong at Manchester City?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Absolutely nothing wrong at Manchester City, the small club that won the lottery. Their performance yesterday was a typical display by them. They went behind, their players dropped their heads and they couldn't be arsed to get them up again. Having no love for the club or fans they couldn't give a shit. It's why Kompany is so important to the team, he brings the passion on the pitch.
White Text

Fahad Jawaid

There is nothing wrong with them as others have mentioned, in the last two games which they have lost, they had some very good chances, yesterday against spurs they went one nil ahead and it felt at that time they would run away with it. i believe they will be right up there, they just have far too much quality players not to, but their defence and CM specially will always give you a chance, and i believe if we control the pace of them game against them and run them ragged we will get alot of joy against them.

Another thing i have noticed is, if they have Ageuro, Silva, Sterling and De Bruyne and Toure playing thats 5 players out of the front 6 who will not actually do much of the running and tracking back, so surely they will be very vulnerable on the counter or any half decent team who can control the pace of the game will make use of it. I remember us even when we had Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Berba, we mostly played 3 of them and had three Cm's in Europe or played Park, so that we don't get overrun, they might have to sacrifice their one attacking player otherwise they will have alot of 4-2, 3-4 scorelines.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Absolutely nothing wrong at Manchester City, the small club that won the lottery.
White Tet
Pre takeover City weren't a small club, they were a medium - large club who had suffered from some rank bad management on and off the pitch, but we had enough about us to make ADUG choose City as the club they wanted to invest in.
Is how "big" the club is a major factor in your opinion of whether a club merits your support or not?
Do a club need to have 700 gazillion fans in every country in the world before they warrant your attention?
For all your "20 times" smugness your club took only the retirement of your excellent manager to seriously undermine United's status and you still have a long battle ahead to regain that.

Reactions: Eboue

MDFC Manager

Pre takeover City weren't a small club, they were a medium - large club who had suffered from some rank bad management on and off the pitch, but we had enough about us to make ADUG choose City as the club they wanted to invest in.
Is how "big" the club is a major factor in your opinion of whether a club merits your support or not?
Do a club need to have 700 gazillion fans in every country in the world before they warrant your attention?
For all your "20 times" smugness your club took only the retirement of your excellent manager to seriously undermine United's status and you still have a long battle ahead to regain that.
In what way has our status been seriously undermined?

Kostur

海尔的老板
I'm actually pretty sure that your pre takeover status has got nothing to do with your fellow Arabs throwing oil money at you. To be fair I'm pretty sure that it's us who's one of the main reasons they've picked you.

Woodzy

The quality of the PL is unmatched. The strongest squads can and will lose a lot of games they are predicted to win easily. It doesn't mean there is a crisis, and i'd still have them as favourites to win the league.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
I'm actually pretty sure that your pre takeover status has got nothing to do with your fellow Arabs throwing oil money at you. To be fair I'm pretty sure that it's us who's one of the main reasons they've picked you.
They had a clean and new stadium as well as a local derby against one of the biggest clubs in the world. It makes sense to buy them.

However if spurs had a new stadium i think they would have been brought before city

Gambit

:lol:

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
For all their reinforcements they are still overly dependent on Silva.

Without him there's no flair in their game eventhough they still have players capable of making something out of nothing, but he's the one that keeps ticking them over and almost all attacking play goes through him, it will very hard for them to replace him once he's gone.

MDFC Manager

They had a clean and new stadium as well as a local derby against one of the biggest clubs in the world. It makes sense to buy them.

However if spurs had a new stadium i think they would have been brought before city
This is correct. IMO, even without Spurs having a new stadium, they'd have bought them if they were cheaper to buy.

They just made the cheapest/most economically viable purchase

VanGaalEra

I've said it a lot this season, that this city side still has a lot of weaknesses in it.

The MF is average-decent at best (won't go through it again as I've said it so often).

At the back, Zaba is not the same player he was, Kompany seems to spend half the time injured, Mangala/Otamendi (poor yesterday) still need adjusting to the league and both their LB's are average.

Up front, they've got a misfiring Aguero (surely will come good soon?) and Bony backed up by an 18 year old!

They're relying a lot on the front 4 to fire them to the league and you don't cakewalk the league just by being top heavy. It will win you the title on occassions, it will get you close, but you won't walk the league in the manner everyone was saying they would just two weeks ago.

shivab

Same thing which would be wrong with us if we had De Gea Smalling Carrick missing and to make matters worse Rooney would be off form. Their key players are missing including their captian (hart komapny Silva) while aguero is going through a rough patch.

Sterling will take time to settle and so will de bryune. Don't expect them to be consistent this year especially with the spine of the team being injured.

Gambit

That is also true. I will now refer to them as Man City, the small club that won the lottery because of Manchester United.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Their defense looked wank yesterday inspite of starting Fernando and Fernandinho in the midfield. Kompany is such a huge miss for them in his current form, they can still play without Silva, but Demichellis isn't that great and Otamendi needs time settling in.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Weren't they massive? Got news for you. These rich folk buy smaller clubs not clubs that would have cost them around 2 billion. In addition to that, City were an obvious choice since they are our neighbours. Don't flatter yourself. They bought you, because you got Manchester in your name. Uniteds status is fine but the fact is the media are immature and society is going down the toilet with inbreeding surely on the rise. I wouldn't exactly use that to verify anything. All it shows is people don't respect history - which is why City have more supporters then they used to, before they were bought by a sugar daddy who is of little interest to anyone - which is probably why he bought a football club for to have some friends.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
For the love affair that happened on here during the summer, Otamendi looks nothing special.
Good player, lots of passion and aggression but not worth the price.

KM

Same thing which would be wrong with us if we had De Gea Smalling Carrick missing and to make matters worse Rooney would be off form. Their key players are missing including their captian (hart komapny Silva) while aguero is going through a rough patch.

Sterling will take time to settle and so will de bryune. Don't expect them to be consistent this year especially with the spine of the team being injured.
We already had the De Gea being out and Rooney being off form for the first five matches thing and funnily nobody made these excuses for us. Carrick isn't that important for us these days. Even if he's out, we've got very good options.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
In what way has our status been seriously undermined?
Most fair minded football students used to look at United at the start of each season and expect them to win the PL and be in at least the SF stage in CL.
Now you have lost that aura. You sacked Fergie's hand picked successor after less than a season, panic bought some players who added nothing much and were quickly jettisoned and were on the point of revolt against LVG a few short weeks ago.
United have made up some of the lost ground in recent weeks with Martial, Shaw, Smalling and Depay showing some good form but that can quickly change.

shivab

We already had the De Gea being out and Rooney being off form for the first five matches thing and funnily nobody made these excuses for us. Carrick isn't that important for us these days. Even if he's out, we've got very good options.
There are certain areas where we have cover and certain areas where we don't. Its just a question of having injuries in areas where you don't have much cover. I personally think Romero cost us at Swansea so yes De Gea being absent did affect us. It would be hard to get wins without Mata too. Hes been important to the way we have play. Its not an excuse its a fact. Any team would suffer against quality opposition without 3-4 of their key players.

Steven Seagull

Most fair minded football students used to look at United at the start of each season and expect them to win the PL and be in at least the SF stage in CL.
Now you have lost that aura. You sacked Fergie's hand picked successor after less than a season, panic bought some players who added nothing much and were quickly jettisoned and were on the point of revolt against LVG a few short weeks ago.
United have made up some of the lost ground in recent weeks with Martial, Shaw, Smalling and Depay showing some good form but that can quickly change.
We're top of the league lolz

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
"Your fellow Arabs"?
I'd laugh but the camels in my Salford back garden need feeding.
"Arabs and oil money"
Is that money tainted in comparison to American/Jewish/Irish investment obtained from leveraged buyout parasites and a man who sold condemned meat to schoolkids and who died before he could be properly held to account for his actions?

And to suggest that ADUG wanted to piggyback United's fame when choosing their club is just risible.
London, Merseyside, Newcastle were all alternative destinations for their investment but they want to build a world class club here in Manchester providing increased wealth, employment and opportunities for this previously deprived region.

KM

"Your fellow Arabs"?
"Arabs and oil money"
Is that money tainted in comparison to American/Jewish/Irish investment obtained from leveraged buyout parasites and a man who sold condemned meat to schoolkids and who died before he could be properly held to account for his actions?

And to suggest that ADUG wanted to piggyback United's fame when choosing their club is just risible.
London, Merseyside, Newcastle were all alternative destinations for their investment but they want to build a world class club here in Manchester providing increased wealth, employment and opportunities for this previously deprived region.
The main reason why ADUG chose City was that because they got a new shiny stadium for absolutely peanuts thus saving any new owner potentially hundred of millions. It had nothing to do with wanting to increase employment, wealth and opportunities for the people of Manchester. That's just a very good side effect.

Kostur

海尔的老板
"Your fellow Arabs"?
"Arabs and oil money"

Straight outta Bluemoon that. :lol:

No, of course not, they've wanted to challenge the most successful club in England that's been the most dominant team in England since Premier League was created, seems like a natural pick if you want to create a competition. They knew that there'd be this narrative in which we'd be mentioned a lot and you'd benefit from it due to our commercial success spreading across Asia and basically all over the world. They wouldn't get half the recognition if they picked Newcastle or Liverpool for that matter. (as in cities, not clubs before you jump it)

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
For the love affair that happened on here during the summer, Otamendi looks nothing special.
Good player, lots of passion and aggression but not worth the price.
And he has a weirdy beard.

MDFC Manager

None of that has "undermined" our status though.

"Your fellow Arabs"?
"Arabs and oil money"

You're really gullible if you think you were bought as an act of charity.

Gambit

"Your fellow Arabs"?
"Arabs and oil money"

Yes the money is tainted as it comes from an autocracy taken from the GDP of an actual nation under a ruling family in charge of one of the largest human trafficking violations in history. Money spent on City should be spent on bettering the migrant slave class situation in their country rather than the actions of business people living in a free market. To make a comparison to the owners of any other club they would have to be the rulers of a nation as well.

Like it or not the only reason the current growth and lottery win happened was because of Manchester United. The purchase of city took place because Thaksin Shinawatra was looking to sell, not because Mansour personally wanted City due to it's size or history as they were looking at other options. Thaksin wanted to sell to make a profit and he approached them. Thaksin himself only wanted it so he could leech off the United fame with the only other club with the words Manchester in the title in the most popular league in the world.

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Most fair minded people thought that because we had the best team, the best coach, a winning mentality and our competition for the title was no where near as strong as it now. Plus the rest of the premier league wasn't as close in terms of overall ability in teams. We were the best, no doubt about it.

Now that there's a genuine 3/4 horse race for the title, as well as teams like Swansea, West Ham, Crystal Palace & Stoke being capable of beating anyone on their day, no one can say with certainty that any one team will walk the league.

Before the season started Chelsea were favourites. Then after their collapse - City became favourites with Arsenal behind, if we win our next few matches and keep our advantage over City we'll be favourites. It doesn't mean that these analysts know what they're talking about, it just means that no one can predict the league anymore.

There's a narrative that United are sleeping giants, we're past our best and won't reach the levels of where we were before. That's what most opposition & neutral fans and journalists and "analysts" alike want, because we've dominated for so long, we're the team that everyone wants to beat. Even in defeat, opposition fans get glory out of us losing, regardless of their own team results. That's why so many clickbait articles reference Manchester United in the title, because if it just had Manchester City it would hardly get any clicks or comments. :)

So while it's taken us a couple of years to get adjusted to life without SAF (as any other club would if they had the greatest manger ever) to suggest that we've lost our aura is ridiculous at best.

Akshay

Staff
Yes, the Arabs invested in City because they wanted to help the people of Manchester out of the goodness of their hearts. Because out of all the places in the world Manchester was the most deprived region they could make a difference, and they could do so best by spending hundreds of pounds on transfer fees and footballer wages. Are you serious?

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
The main reason why ADUG chose City was that because they got a new shiny stadium for absolutely peanuts thus saving any new owner potentially hundred of millions. It had nothing to do with wanting to increase employment, wealth and opportunities for the people of Manchester. That's just a very good side effect.
Make your mind up.
Are the investors so rich that they throw money around carelessly or are they hard nosed businessman looking for a bargain?
Just go back to Stockport County. It's nearer. ;)
OT is nearer still. Get a map you may find it.

KM

Make your mind up.
Are the investors so rich that they throw money around carelessly or are they hard nosed businessman looking for a bargain?

The money they've saved on a stadium they've spent it on players. Keep on deluding yourself that they only bought City because they wanted to develop Manchester.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
It's pretty simple.

Silva is out who is their best player and the catalyst of most good things they do.

Aguero suffers as a result and is also woefully out of form.

De Bruyne is doing well in terms of goals but doesn't offer what Silva does (horrific mistake yesterday too).

Their goalkeeper had a horror show yesterday too, and Demichellis looked back to his clown-like best at times too.

Their fully fit starting 11 is almost certainly the best in the league, but once you start removing pieces they look much weaker.

VanGaalEra

@Gentleman Jim - what did you think of your summer transfer business?

Sterling/KDB are quality buys, but I think you could have done with only one of them and instead strengthened in CM (obviously tried with Pogba, didn't happen) and at LB (Kolarov and Clichy don't really inspire any confidence). Otamendi obviously needs time.

Also, losing both Dzeko and Jovetic (especially Dzeko) has left you light up front.

Needham

Like every other team on the planet, they are not as good when their best players are out. That is all.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Make your mind up.

Not the old, you are not from Manchester and don't even know where the stadium is' crap, is it?