g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What's wrong at Manchester City?

Jaxa

Nothing, they've just been missing a few key players the past few games like Kompany and Da Silva and then Today Hart was injured as was Toure and Aguero hasn't clicked yet, but he will, most likely against us no doubt.

They have a fantastic squad, but they aren't as good as the media hype them up to be but thats the nature of the media, they will be your friend when your winning and then become your enemy when you lose a few games,

I thoroughly expect it to be Us and them fighting to the end with Chelsea and Arsenal right up our Arses.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I havent seen the matchday thread or anything but has anyone made a note of how poor Aguero has been this season so far since such a big note is made of Costas poor start?

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I think their defence lets them down, the current available options anyways. Their fullbacks are poor. Kolorov or any left back also gets no support from Sterling, and Sagna isn't exactly great either. They are getting beaten easily especially on quick counters. Then you have the fact that Kompany has injury problems and Zabaleta is also missing but is pushing on a bit too, they need improvements there for sure.

2 set pieces and a joke of 4th goal sums up their defence for me.

RU Devil

A lot of leading men either hurt or off form. Aguero was hurt in a previous game and I thought it'd be awhile, while it surprised me that Nasri doesn't start while Silva is out. Also seems the loss to WHU dispelled some of the fear factor, while Spurs were lucky to not get the equalizer chalked off for offside (plus Kane's goal). Let's see how they get to the international break before thinking this is more than a wobble.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Injury list - Silva, Kompany, Toure, Bony, Kelechi, Hart, Clichy, Zabaleta, Mangala, Delph.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Is Zabaleta injured? Odd that Sagna has been playing so many minutes. Wasn't too long ago that many thought he was the best right back in the PL.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Their CM can't control games, neither on the ball nor off the ball. It's their biggest weakness, it's why they go on great runs and follow it up with bad runs every season. It's difficult to be consistent when you can't predict how your own team plays. So much is about momentum with them, about the run one of their stars is on. It's also why they struggle so much in Europe where control is much more important. When City is on flow, they're almost impossible to contain for PL sides, because few teams in England can control the game and the more open it is, the more City excels. Yaya is the perfect example for the problem, a great individual who struggles heavily to fit into a bigger concept.

Trizy

They're not good as everyone made them out to be after their great start. League favorites due to the quality they've purchased but the best squads don't always win the league.

It'll be a long season but I bet you if they do win it - it won't be by this massive margin people are shitting on about.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Their attack hasn't been the same since Silva's injury. Huge loss for them. Front four of Aguero, Sterling, Silva, and De Bruyne looks devastating on paper.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This thread is totally outrageous.

This happens all the time. In fact, the team that last won the Premier League had an equally bad if not worse drubbing by this very team.

RU Devil

BTW, was Toure hurt today? Taken off for Navas early in the 2nd half and went straight to the lockers. Seems to be a creaky spine for City. If that continues they'll drop more points than the pundits expected.

RedStarUnited

This happens all the time. In fact, the team that last won the Premier League had an equally bad if not worse drubbing by this very team.
They have just lost 3 games on the bounce. And they have gone from being 5 points ahead to a point behind in like a week.

Bwuk

Injuries to key players.

If Bastian, Martial, Mata, Smalling, Blind, De Gea were all injured we wouldn't be top. I think we have better depth than City though.

Still think they'll win the league.

Winrar

think they're just unlucky at the moment. will be a concern for them if this bad spell keeps up though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

If we had lost 3 games in a row, there would be a media and opposing fan frenzy. All sorts of theories would be put forwards.

There are obviously issues and some have been teased out in this discussion so far:
  • A massive injury list
  • A sudden loss of confidence
  • Having trouble adjusting to simultaneous CL and PL football
  • Aguero horrible out of form
  • Sterling having issues settling in
I suspect this will carry on for City through October and it wont be before November til they hit full stride again. If Im right, its great for us as we can build in some comfort points for when the business end of the season from March onwards.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Their midfield is pissweak. Fernandinho looks to have returned to form and has been very good. Fernando is such a nothing player. Yaya Toure doesn't have the same drive and mobility he did in those first 2 or 3 seasons where he was more of a box to box player and involved in nearly everything. Now he just strolls around. Fernandinho is looking like Carrick from a few years ago when he was a one-man-midfield. They don't have many CM options but even Delph's return would improve them I feel. He plays with a lot of gusto, which they have none of in the middle.

Kolarov is also a shite defender. He offers quite a bit going forward and always looks a threat, but defensively he is nothing. Nearly all of Spurs' joy came from attacking down City's left. They should play Kolarov on the wing and get an actual left back.

And injuries. They seem to always have great luck with injuries compared to us. I can't remember them facing any injury crisis' which seem to happen to us once or twice a season every season. They've definitely not had that luck so far and they're feeling it.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Injuries to key players, and Aguero struggling. Last season Aguero carried them at times, but he's not in good form just now.

RedStarUnited

Their midfield is pissweak. Fernandinho looks to have returned to form and has been very good. Fernando is such a nothing player. Yaya Toure doesn't have the same drive and mobility he did in those first 2 or 3 seasons where he was more of a box to box player and involved in nearly everything. Now he just strolls around. Fernandinho is looking like Carrick from a few years ago when he was a one-man-midfield. They don't have many CM options but even Delph's return would improve them I feel. He plays with a lot of gusto, which they have none of in the middle.

Kolarov is also a shite defender. He offers quite a bit going forward and always looks a threat, but defensively he is nothing. Nearly all of Spurs' joy came from attacking down City's left. They should play Kolarov on the wing and get an actual left back.

And injuries. They seem to always have great luck with injuries compared to us. I can't remember them facing any injury crisis' which seem to happen to us once or twice a season every season. They've definitely not had that luck so far and they're feeling it.
Kompany and Aguero do have a lot of injuries.

suheilsworld

Trying to fit in new signings. But over a period of time this will smoothen out. Nothing wrong with them. They will always be our rivals, talking in footballing sense

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Their fans are diabolical, they've won the lottery yet still continue to embarrass themselves with their shite support and small time mentality, which is why they'll never get anywhere in Europe, they know they're a shite club.

They'll still win the league by 10 points though.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Their CM can't control games, neither on the ball nor off the ball. It's their biggest weakness, it's why they go on great runs and follow it up with bad runs every season. It's difficult to be consistent when you can't predict how your own team plays. So much is about momentum with them, about the run one of their stars is on. It's also why they struggle so much in Europe where control is much more important. When City is on flow, they're almost impossible to contain for PL sides, because few teams in England can control the game and the more open it is, the more City excels. Yaya is the perfect example for the problem, a great individual who struggles heavily to fit into a bigger concept.
Best description of their weaknesses IMHO. Bastian would have been perfect for them, he would have brought more control.

I havent seen the matchday thread or anything but has anyone made a note of how poor Aguero has been this season so far since such a big note is made of Costas poor start?
I noticed this since a couple of weeks ago.

MDFC Manager

Nothing, they're still (rightly) going to be favourites for the league.

It's a blip. It happens. The fact that Aguero is out of form, Silva is injured and Kompany has been out would always have an effect on them anyway.
Add on Hart as well. In fact, he's been very good this season and is easily a bigger miss than Kompany.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
The injuries and integrating new players are the obvious answers to the questions but as a blue I'm a bit concerned that once a team gets ahead of us we're not successfully battling back. Snatching at chances and leaving the back door open at times.
We will be OK but the media did overhype at the start of the season.

EDS, U18's and U16's all won well though. Silver linings and all that :).

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
They have become everything they claimed to hate about us but it seems to be okay now.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
A lot has been made of the form of Costa, Kane, Rooney, Sanchez etc but Aguero, barring the Chelsea game, has been diabolical. You can usually count on him banging in a world class goals every other week (especially if it's Spurs) but not this season. Doesn't help that Bony has been useless. Also their defense is crap regardless of injuries. I give it a couple of weeks before Kompany returns to being a headless chicken and less said the better about the travesty that is Mangala. And if the Spurs game is anything to go by Otamendi is not going to be much of an improvement over Mangala which is just plain sad when you think about it. Almost 80m spunked on a pair of clowns.

Aguero (once he returns to form) and Silva are two of the best in the league though and will mask a lot of their other problems. Maybe De Bruyne as well - looks fecking class tbh.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
A lot has been made of the form of Costa, Kane, Rooney, Sanchez etc but Aguero, barring the Chelsea game, has been diabolical. You can usually count on him banging in a world class goals every other week (especially if it's Spurs) but not this season. Doesn't help that Bony has been useless. Also their defense is crap regardless of injuries. I give it a couple of weeks before Kompany returns to being a headless chicken and less said the better about the travesty that is Mangala. And if the Spurs game is anything to go by Otamendi is not going to be much of an improvement over Mangala which is just plain sad when you think about it. Almost 80m spunked on a pair of clowns.

Aguero (once he returns to form) and Silva are two of the best in the league though and will mask a lot of their other problems. Maybe De Bruyne as well - looks fecking class tbh.
Oh no, there's no hope for us. I'm off to support Tottenham.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
They had a great first 30 minutes yesterday and it looked like this was going to be a long day for Spurs, and then they lost their intensity and let Spurs back into the game. The goal before half time changed everything. Pellegrini's choices were also weird, De Bruyne was affecting the game out wide and moving him inside completely took him out of the game; trying to throw every attacker on was a bit daft as well and left them exposed. Their defence had an awful game and I agree with the comments above about their CMs weaknesses: when they can just press and have that intensity, they're quite good, but as soon as that goes down a notch, they lack the intelligence (Fernando mainly, Fernandinho too to a certain extent) to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.