What's your darkest moment as a United fan?

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
5 - 1 at Maine Road in 89, comlately shellshocked, seemed to come from nowhere. Was a difficult trip home :(

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Like now you mean? :wenger:
Actually no. Future is bright. Erik is a very good coach (shit DoF though :lol: ) and new owner will come before next season.
So with new owner, new Dof will come and we are ready to fight for PL next season.

Last edited:

Caellum

As a 12 year old I was in the crowd every game for that awful 73-74 season but the low point had to be the final game of the 1974 season United were relegated, and Denis Law (one of my hero's) scored for city only time a football match made me cry.

After that it has to be the day they appointed Moyes, he worked wonders at Everton keeping them in the Prem, with his park the bus football but he was never a Champions League Manager.

zaafi

Agüero vs QPR. I just knew, which somehow made it even worse. Genuinely cried that day. I took my ball, went to the ball pit not far from my house and repeatedly smashed the ball in rage, crying in pouring rain :lol:

Josh 76

1. Fergie waving goodbye after that 5-5 draw against West Brom. I somehow knew we would be in for a very tough time.

2. The 4-1 loss at home against Liverpool in 2009. Didn’t really matter but I just remember how angry I was after that.

3.The loss in the CL final against Barca in 2009. I genuinely believed we had a chance.

Though the last years have been tough they’ve been colored by the fact the club is run by a bunch of clowns. I’ve learned to not be that involved emotionally anymore.
I agree.
the 1-4 loss to the scousers in 2009 and losing the 2009 CL final were very low moments for me as a UTD fan. Maybe because I was younger and football meant so much more to me than nowadays.

the loss to West Ham in 1991 was another one that was hard to take. Cost us the title. I'll Never forget how up West Ham were for the game. They had feck all to play for.

Giggsyking

City winning the PL in 2012. Leverkusen knocking us out in CL. Real Madrid Knocking us in CL 2013.

RVN1991

Reading some of the comments from Manchester United fans in the MG thread is pretty high up to be honest.
This. No amount of shit football will surpass the disappointment of reading some of the mental gymnastics and comments on that thread.

ScholesyTheWise

I think the final 1-2 weeks leading up to Mourinho's dismissal were the most painful I felt about United.
Don't know why. or maybe I do?

All the shit that's been accumulated since the Moyes and LVG days, leading up to us appointing the person I disliked the most in world football, ending up quite expectedly in him self-sabotaging, the entire club being toxic...

I'm still addicted and will never stop being a supporter, heck I spend so many hours writing and reading an internet forum about United...
But I put myself in a much more "remote" place emotionally after Jose.

bdspeedy

Tomorrow may be. F- rated window. Most of the deadwood is still here. Most of the most glaring needs were ignored or papered over. Looks like the Glazers are no where near leaving but we fans are still putting up with them and GIVING THEM MONEY. If we don't strike the club and bankrupt these parasites, we'll never win anything and we will have allowed it to happen.

Moriarty

Getting relegate but the gloom didn't last. We knew we would be back. The loss to Southampton in 1976 was grim but the Doc promised we would return and we did. The Moyes appointment wasn't dark, just baffling.

Vanrouge

Assuming we were old enough to remember them, how can it be anything other than:

1. Munich
2. Relegation

For what it's worth, for me it was 2., as Munich happened before I was born, while I was going to Old Trafford for the first time in the relegation season.

Kopral Jono

Moyes appointment i.e. the day we stopped being a serious, class-above-the-rest football club. I knew from day one the Fergie model was nigh on impossible to be replicated, let alone by someone of Moyes' capacity.

In more recent memory -- the tail end of the 2018/19 season was absolutely grim.

Red_Aaron

Probably not the absolute darkest moment but the 2005 FAC final still gets my blood boiling

That was a really good arsenal team that we'd shared a lot of close games with over the years so losing on pens doesn't seem a big deal on the face of it, however on the day we absolutely battered them, it was as dominating as we'd been against them in a long long while (think they had 1 shot on target in 120 mins or something) and yet somehow we conspired to draw a blank. Then scholesy who was brilliant that day missed the pen

Seeing that cnut Vieira cheesing with the trophy after turns my stomach, a lot of arsenal players had the good graces to at least look embarrassed given the hammering they'd received but not that arrogant prick

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
My personal dark moment was thinking we could do better than Fergie. We were still winning games, and leagues, but I felt football was moving on and leaving our style of play behind. Thought that, even though it was a sad day, that a change might actually do us some good.

I hate myself for thinking like that during his final few years.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Sir Alex retiring.

It wasn't just an icon leaving the club, it was far greater than that.

SAF has his DNA woken into the Manchester United quilt. When he left, it tore the club apart.

Might seem dramatic, but the club is now a shadow of what it was, on and off the park.

I don't know if the club will recover.
Yeah I find it hard to explain but things have just never felt the same since SAF left. It's like we lost the soul of the club.

Cloud7

The second CL final loss to Barcelona. I’ve never seen us be comprehensively outplayed like that under SAF, never mind in a CL final

Moriarty

Assuming we were old enough to remember them, how can it be anything other than:

1. Munich
2. Relegation

For what it's worth, for me it was 2., as Munich happened before I was born, while I was going to Old Trafford for the first time in the relegation season.
I was a toddler when that happened so I have no memory of it. However, my dad told me in later years that grown men who had seen action in the war, were crying their eyes out when the news came through. United fans, City fans, it didn't matter because the whole City of Manchester mourned the loss.

Vanrouge

I was a toddler when that happened so I have no memory of it. However, my dad told me in later years that grown men who had seen action in the war, were crying their eyes out when the news came through. United fans, City fans, it didn't matter because the whole City of Manchester mourned the loss.
For sure, it almost felt like I remembered it because, like you, family members (especially my Grandad, who'd fought in the war) and close family friends talked about it so much and about the impact it had on the city and even the country. Sometimes I feel like I was there to see those newspaper hoardings in Piccadilly Gardens blaring their awful news.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’s pretty dark right now. All the MG stuff, the excitement of a club sale has been well and truly extinguished, the CR7 saga, we’re playing like trash again and not fun to watch, our transfer window has been a bit of a bummer and now it appears we are broke. Oh and our away kit abomination.

Hughie77

I was at the game, it was brutal. We actually played some great attacking football, but we looked like conceding every time we didn't have possession.

City would've won the title eventually, but this felt like the game that handed it to them and started it all off. We were singing Campiones at 3-1 and 4-2. Grim.
Same here, and Evra hit the post with a header for 5-2. Then they go up the other end and scored. This game was the one that lost us the title, imo. The darkest though is how football has changed since the dirty money has been put into it and we have to try and keep up with dreadful owners and a board of bottlers..

Matt Varnish

Relegation in 1974 but fortunately that was followed by the most wonderful season of my times following United
You beat me to it, the Law back heel and him walking straight down the tunnel summed up the season for me.
Taking the old 2nd Div by storm, and still beating every home gate in the league the following year eased the pain a little.

Matt Varnish

I've never been as angry and disappointed as that Man City vs. QPR game on the final day of the 11/12 season. You get your hopes up, and then to see QPR completely just hand it to City by basically giving the ball away after the kick-off at 2-2 was infuriating.
You should never rely on other teams results for your own success

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Aguerro goal. One of the locals shouted it's in the bag with a minute to go and I told him you've just fecking cursed it.

He was a cock before that so I don't speak to him anyway.

bosskeano

it's going to be this season....this entire season is going to be fecking dire

we won't finish in the top 6