When can we truly be excited?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It's been a really good and comforting start to the season, however, given all the false dawns over the last few years, I don't (and maybe many of you) want to get too far ahead of myself. At what point will you be comfortable enough to finally brush away the "false dawn" label - when we can truly be excited about whats to come this season?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Honestly, I think you should be excited right now. Lukaku is the best squad-upgrade across Europe this summer ('cept for Neymar to PSG), and it finally looks like United have a team capable of playing the exact football Jose wants.

You vs City for the title.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think we should all be excited, football's back and United are looking good. We shouldn't get too carried away as we've only played two matches against average/poor opposition, but why not be excited?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Honestly, I think you should be excited right now. Lukaku is the best squad-upgrade across Europe this summer ('cept for Neymar to PSG), and it finally looks like United have a team capable of playing the exact football Jose wants.

You vs City for the title.
Still too early, I think Spurs deserve credit as a challenger. They seem to be the team everyone is writing off.

el3mel

I'm just enjoying the match on its own tbh, no thinking much about the future or what will happen during the season. Just enjoy the current match and let the future decide what will happen. We have an exciting team, a great striker, some great midfielders and great defense, so why worrying too much ?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Still too early, I think Spurs deserve credit as a challenger.
Not for me. No signings, not the happiest camp of players, new ground... Top 4, maybe Europa League. Kane & Lukaku will be close for goals, but you'll have more from elsewhere, plus a stronger midfield, and a much more experienced manager.

JmRssll555

We should enjoy every good performance and result, especially when we're scoring 4 goals. However, I don't think I'll begin to get excited about a run at the title until Christmas, realistically. Remember, LVG had us top by the end of November two years ago and we all know how that turned out.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I'd wager we have the best midfield in the league and one of the best defences, but we are still not there attacking wise and will probably struggle breaking down deep defences (like we saw today when Swansea played 3-5-2).

Won't allow myself to get carried away, been far too many heartbreaks in the last few years.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
It's been a really good and comforting start to the season, however, given all the false dawns over the last few years, I don't (and maybe many of you) want to get too far ahead of myself. At what point will you be comfortable enough to finally brush away the "false dawn" label - when we can truly be excited about whats to come this season?
October 14. 3-0 win away to Anfield.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Excitement should come when we are showing we can handle multiple competitions, injuries, and poor weather. Those conditions will be the real test.

But damn this is fun right now

Canagel

We aren't going to win every game 4-0 and there will be some games where we struggle as well. The key is to keep everyone fit and show the same desire and attitude in every game. Confidence seems to be the word on everyone's lips and it's important to build an understanding between the team especially the defence. We can't afford to chop and change too much because it will upset the balance. Chelsea found their winning team early last season and stuck with it. We need to do the same this season. I will be more excited if we're still at the top after 10-15 games but let's wait and see.

Reactions: Varun

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I think we can be excited right now. However I'd really love this kind of scoreline as well as performance against a big team.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Christmas. We're 2 games in at the end of the day. If we play like today and they'd equalised we might have been looking at a 1 all draw. Ifs and buts of course, but that could knock the confidence going into the next game. We don't how this team would cope with that yet.

That's assuming this is talking about the title.

Fooza

When we convincingly start beating the top 4-6 teams I'll start getting excited. It's only been two games and when the schedule starts getting busy and the rotating begins, that's when we'll see how good we are.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We can enjoy that with a couple of additions we have brought out the attacking threat we all thought we should have been seeing more of last year.

We can enjoy knowing that we can score a lot of goals, while being solid.

Full steam ahead to the Leicester game.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Mourinho's second seasons at a new club are always impressive. Even if we don't win the title this season, the evidence is already there that we'll go close as we're superior to most in the league. In Europe, I'd expect us to reach the quarter-finals and anything beyond that would be a welcome bonus. The Madrids and Bayerns are that bit more further along their development at the minute, but there's promising signs that we're closing the gap.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You can get excited when you see Mourinho get excited.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Christmas. We're 2 games in at the end of the day. If we play like today and they'd equalised we might have been looking at a 1 all draw. Ifs and buts of course, but that could knock the confidence going into the next game. We don't how this team would cope with that yet.

That's assuming this is talking about the title.
Think we deserve some luck this season. Most of it was going against us last season.

LARulz

Whenever you want but for me I won't be thinking about winning anything till at least November. If we are still performing well and getting results (mostly care about the latter) then excellent. A couple wins at the start, despite lots of goals and good performances can mean nothing in the first couple months.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
City won their first 6 games last season scoring 18 goals and only just scraped top 4. Long way to go yet.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
When we're playing in multiple competitions and going into games against "top" opposition without just parking the bus.

Shark

@NotShark
After we have played a few top sides.
Nobody wins the league by doing well against the top sides. We beat Chelsea convincingly last season 2-0, but it meant nothing, as we were dropping too many points at home to fodder. It's all about thumping the likes of West Ham and Swansea, and then you can lose the odd big game or two, which we certainly will do.

Moonred

Nobody wins the league by doing well against the top sides. We beat Chelsea convincingly last season 2-0, but it meant nothing, as we were dropping too many points at home to fodder. It's all about thumping the likes of West Ham and Swansea, and then you can lose the odd big game or two, which we certainly will do.
Yeah all league champions in the history of football won the league by not doing well against top sides. I'll get excited when I feel like we can beat them like a top side do. Thanks.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I still want to see how we play against similar/superior sides and to see how we handle going a goal down.

AndyJ1985

I'll be excited if we're in the race for the title after new year. Until then I'm not getting carried away.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm sure we're all pretty excited at the moment, we're playing the best stuff in years and the confidence and swagger seem to be back let's just take it game by game and enjoy it.

Next 2 games are Leicester and then stoke Away they'll provide a different challenge, if we're still maximum points after these games then I'll start getting very excited.

Dante

Average bang
Leftback is a weakness and the formula of the front 4 is unbalanced. I'll be really excited once we fix those two issues. They're weaknesses that can potentially be exploited. I'll be on the edge of seat until I'm confident about having all areas of the pitch covered.

I am kind of excited right now, to be fair. But I don't feel the full-on swagger of a Fergie side in its pomp.

Coxy

Once you've played one of the big boys you can get exited

Shark

@NotShark
Yeah all league champions in the history of football won the league by not doing well against top sides. I'll get excited when I feel like we can beat them like a top side do. Thanks.
I didn't say you don't have to do well against the top sides. I'm saying that it's more important to beat the others consistently, and then you can afford to lose the odd big game or two. SAF's record against the top four in his later years certainly wasn't perfect.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
When we convincingly start beating the top 4-6 teams I'll start getting excited. It's only been two games and when the schedule starts getting busy and the rotating begins, that's when we'll see how good we are.
Why? You don't need to beat those teams to win the title. You get the same amount of points beating Brighton at home as City away.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Give it 10 games or so I'd say.

City looked unbeatable at the start last season and we all remember how that ended up. United generally start poor when they win the league from my memory and then kick on.

You look impressive though. I'd still be wary myself as you've played two teams that'll quite probably be fighting relegation all season long. They still have to be beaten though and they have been.