g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

When can we truly be excited?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
2 months later and reality set in. Too many discussions back then where some thought we're highflying until the end of the season and that we play flawless football just because we scored goals. There is still to much wrong with our side and it looks like Jose cant find a solution

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I'm truly excited. We've been duff the last few games, still second. Long way to go in the season yet.

Marcky411

2 months later and reality set in. Too many discussions back then where some thought we're highflying until the end of the season and that we play flawless football just because we scored goals. There is still to much wrong with our side and it looks like Jose cant find a solution
Fully agree, keep seeing people saying with all our bad form we are still second and with Pogba returning soon we can get back to scoring ways. We are second in the league on goal difference only and one point ahead of 4th. Last season we were also on top at one stage and soon after the City game we were 6th and stayed there the whole year and ended up there at the end of the season. I too believe Mourinho doesn't know how to fix this and his body language and interviews aren't giving me much confidence for the rest of the season. The argument we are top of our CL group (an easier group you couldn't wish for), if we draw a decent team in the next round the chances we could be out of the CL is very good.
When can we truly be excited?
When the manger and the team start showing signs they are going in a certain direction, when performances start to improve and we can string a couple of wins together in a row with goals created from open play, not keeper errors, deflections or mis-hit shots (obviously will take them all day long).
If it turns out to be that the catalyst for our bad form was due to Pogba's injury then we have got a serious problem, as teams will know to play Pogba out of the game and then Utd become toothless, (like we did last year to Hazard in the Chelsea game at OT), still don't know why we didn't use the same blueprint at Stamford Bridge.

PK007

Don't worry you won't be eating that sandwich anytime soon. I agree with your analysis except for the part about the need for 2 or 3 players. I think we require a left back, right back, right winger and CM/AM at a minimum. Even 4 additional players would still leave us behind Man City and the best in Europe. In an ideal world we would have a clear out of the squad and remove about 8 players and bring in 6 or 7 quality players then we could go toe to toe with the big boys domestically and in Europe. To challenge the big boys I would think we would need to bring in Laporte, Ghoulam, Fabinho, Jorginho, Fekir/Savic and Leon Bailey or players of similar quality. Players like Darmain, Mika, Shaw, Blind, Carrick, Smalling, Lingard, Mata can't be part of our squad going forward if we hope to challenge for titles.
I agree with you mate.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Game on Saturday got me excited again. Pogba doesn't just make the difference in quality but I think the mental impact he has shouldn't be understated. And to add to that, we have the lion that is Ibra and his enormous ego which transforms us completely. I really think that, if we can keep injuries to a minimum, we can challenge (continue) City for the league. We look capable of winning almost all our home games so it's really about game management in the remaining away games.

Di Maria's angel

Same as before, I'll wait any match against a serious team (City) before getting officially excited.
You're putting too much weight into the big games. There are 28 other games and we could easily scored 80 goals in these games at the rate we're going and some won't be entertained.

M Bison

Supports
York City
What a difference a good performance makes. Following the Chelsea game there was an underlying tone and general unrest towards Jose.

I'm not getting carried away, Newcastle are average at best so the result/performance should have been a given.

Di Maria's angel

What a difference a good performance makes. Following the Chelsea game there was an underlying tone and general unrest towards Jose.

I'm not getting carried away, Newcastle are average at best so the result/performance should have been a given.
For who? This is the first time in years that we've consistently dispatched teams at OT, so it's not really a given. Credit to Mourinho that he's set these standards and has made Old Trafford the fortress it used to be.

19 goals in 6 games this year in comparison to 26 and 27 in the previous two seasons, respectively.

Zlatattack

If we hit the top of the league again, i think we can be excited.

Until then, i think we'll all be in default caf mode...

M Bison

Supports
York City
For who? This is the first time in years that we've consistently dispatched teams at OT, so it's not really a given. Credit to Mourinho that he's set these standards and has made Old Trafford the fortress it used to be.

19 goals in 6 games this year in comparison to 26 and 27 in the previous two seasons, respectively.
Yes but a club such as ours should be beating mid-table teams by those sort of margins, the fact that we havent done so in previous seasons isnt really the point. Jose doesn't need crediting with setting those standards, they exist regardless.

I suppose my main point is that only 1 game ago many were starting to turn on Jose and after 1 winnable game this thread resurfaces.

el3mel

Maybe when some more of the top ten are played?

Top 10:
Games 4, points 4/12, GF 2, GA 3
So, let's say, we beat Burnely and Brighton will that means we're good ? as they're top 10.

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
Cause the premier league is decided on who has the most wins against the top 10?
No.

It’s decided on form throughout the year, and especially against the teams nearest. Ie the ones who are getting similar results.

The table shows that United do well against teams who are doing generally badly, but not so great against similar positioned teams.

I’m unsure what the problem with the factual table is? It shows many games battering of the lower teams, and a few games against the top, not so battering.

JASR

Supports
City

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
It's been a really good and comforting start to the season, however, given all the false dawns over the last few years, I don't (and maybe many of you) want to get too far ahead of myself. At what point will you be comfortable enough to finally brush away the "false dawn" label - when we can truly be excited about whats to come this season?
Next Season, maybe.

JASR

Supports
City
Edit: quote seems to have gone. Heyho.

As Burnley are only 3 or so points behind yes. So approx Equivalent.

Brighton are more like Newcastle on actual points.

It would be useful if they showed actual points on that table.

I’ll email them

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No.

It’s decided on form throughout the year, and especially against the teams nearest. Ie the ones who are getting similar results.

The table shows that United do well against teams who are doing generally badly, but not so great against similar positioned teams.

I’m unsure what the problem with the factual table is? It shows many games battering of the lower teams, and a few games against the top, not so battering.
You know that 8th place and 16th place have just 6 point gap and form from last 2 weeks actually makes teams move up and down all the time? It's a bs point and same point some City fan brought up few weeks back and that too without any context. So beating Brighton means beating top 10. oh wait, maybe by the time we play them they might even go outside top 10 as Leicester win on friday means they will go above Brighton.

Looking at table now and saying team x played teams from bottom table is foolishness as teams always move up and down.

cyberman

Yes but the league is so tight that maybe the reason why we haven't played many top 10 sides is because 6 through 10 haven't dropped points to us?
It all tightens up if we took points from Watford, Brighton and Burnley compared to Newcastle, Southampton and Leicester facing easier opposition instead of playing United.
What does it prove if we beat Brighton next week and they fall a few places?
Edit dammit roonster09

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The state of someone's intelligence to talk about playing the top 10 a third of the way through the season.

roonster09

Scout
Yes but the league is so tight that maybe the reason why we haven't played many top 10 sides is because 6 through 10 haven't dropped points to us?
It all tightens up if we took points from Watford, Brighton and Burnley compared to Newcastle, Southampton and Leicester facing easier opposition instead of playing United.
What does it prove if we beat Brighton next week and they fall a few places?
Edit dammit roonster09
Why use your brain and think logically when you can just post something random that might be posted in Bluemoan.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
The state of someone's intelligence to talk about playing the top 10 a third of the way through the season.
Obviously they won't be the finishing positions but I very much doubt Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal will be finishing outside the top 10. Whichever way you look at it, City have been beating teams convincingly regardless of how strong they are on paper or how high or low they are in the league. Of the so-called Big Six, we've won all 3 games against them so far - scoring 9 and conceding 1. That's a huge improvement on our record against those sides over the previous couple of seasons and was something that needed addressing if we were to give ourselves a genuine chance of winning the league. Having a good record against the teams that are challenging with you for the league is hugely important. It's not always an exact science of course - I remember in 2008-09, United had a poor record in the head-to-heads against Liverpool, Arsenal, and Chelsea, but against the teams that finished in the bottom 12 you smashed pretty much everybody, winning 23 and drawing 1 of the 24 games (the draw being at home to Newcastle on the opening day of the season) and won the league as a result. That tends to be an exception rather than the rule though.

roonster09

Scout
Obviously they won't be the finishing positions but I very much doubt Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal will be finishing outside the top 10. Whichever way you look at it, City have been beating teams convincingly regardless of how strong they are on paper or how high or low they are in the league. Of the so-called Big Six, we've won all 3 games against them so far - scoring 9 and conceding 1. That's a huge improvement on our record against those sides over the previous couple of seasons and was something that needed addressing if we were to give ourselves a genuine chance of winning the league. Having a good record against the teams that are challenging with you for the league is hugely important. It's not always an exact science of course - I remember in 2008-09, United had a poor record in the head-to-heads against Liverpool, Arsenal, and Chelsea, but against the teams that finished in the bottom 12 you smashed pretty much everybody, winning 23 and drawing 1 of the 24 games (the draw being at home to Newcastle on the opening day of the season) and won the league as a result. That tends to be an exception rather than the rule though.
ManUtd lost both games against Liverpool but won home game vs Chelsea and drew away. Lost away to Arsenal but only needed a point to win the league so played for 0-0 at home.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
ManUtd lost both games against Liverpool but won home game vs Chelsea and drew away. Lost away to Arsenal but only needed a point to win the league so played for 0-0 at home.
Not sure what you're trying to say there mate - 5 points from 6 games in the top 4 mini-league represents a poor return would you not agree?

Shark

@NotShark

Well it helps that we finally got Pogba back along with Ibra and Rojo. That alone was bound to lift spirits. The performance was the cherry on top.

roonster09

Scout
Not sure what you're trying to say there mate - 5 points from 6 games in the top 4 mini-league represents a poor return would you not agree?
We only had poor results against Liverpool. Against Chelsea we got 4 out of 6 points. Against Arsenal we only needed a draw, so it's sort of leaving context to consider them.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
We only had poor results against Liverpool. Against Chelsea we got 4 out of 6 points. Against Arsenal we only needed a draw, so it's sort of leaving context to consider them.
True. I was just referring to the overall H2H record of the 4 teams that season. Individually, the results against Chelsea were good. However, the general point is that it's important to have a good record against your immediate rivals when winning the league but every now and then there's an exception.

Di Maria's angel

I think the bigger point is that even if we have a poor record against the top 6, we're more than capable of making the difference up from the remaining 28 games. Lets extrapolate:

After 12 games:
vs Top 6: Played 3; Won 1; Draw 1; Lost 1; GF 1; GA 1; Points 4
vs Rest: Played 9; Won 7; Drawn 1; Lost 1; GF 25; GA 5; Points 22

Lets say we continue the same pattern across all games, so we end up with something like this:

vs Top 6: Played 10; Won 3; Draw 4; Lost 3; GF 5; GA 5; Points 13
vs Rest: Played 28; Won 22; Draw 3; Lost 3; GF 78; GA 14; Points 69

We could end up with 82 points which probably wouldn't be enough to win the league given City's form, but it would definitely see us challenging without a good record against the teams around us in the league. FWIW, I think we'll have a much better record against the top 6 with Pogba, Ibra and Rojo back.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I think the bigger point is that even if we have a poor record against the top 6, we're more than capable of making the difference up from the remaining 28 games. Lets extrapolate:

After 12 games:
vs Top 6: Played 3; Won 1; Draw 1; Lost 1; GF 1; GA 1; Points 4
vs Rest: Played 9; Won 7; Drawn 1; Lost 1; GF 25; GA 5; Points 22

Lets say we continue the same pattern across all games, so we end up with something like this:

vs Top 6: Played 10; Won 3; Draw 4; Lost 3; GF 5; GA 5; Points 13
vs Rest: Played 28; Won 22; Draw 3; Lost 3; GF 78; GA 14; Points 69

We could end up with 82 points which probably wouldn't be enough to win the league given City's form, but it would definitely see us challenging without a good record against the teams around us in the league. FWIW, I think we'll have a much better record against the top 6 with Pogba, Ibra and Rojo back.
I'm not even sure we're disagreeing here. The example I cited was one where you had a poor overall record against your immediate rivals yet still won the league that season so yes, it can be done, but it's more of an exception than the rule when it comes to winning the league. If a low points total is required to win it then of course that gives more margin for error and the record against the immediate rivals probably isn't quite so important and it comes down to who can plunder the most points from the other games. I think in this of all seasons, unless City capitulate (it's City after all so it could happen) then you'll probably need to pick up serious points against both the stronger and weaker sides. Drawing games away at rivals isn't a bad thing usually but it may be that Mourinho will need a re-think and perhaps go for it more in those games, starting with Arsenal in a couple of weeks.

Last edited: