When crowds return, is there any possibility of an organised boycott?

I honestly think our only chance of removing the American slugs is via a full boycott, with all the embarrassing consequences that would bring them. Boycott season tickets, memberships, merchandise, clubs sponsors, TV broadcasters. The only thing they care about is income, so, if we deprive them of that, perhaps we can finally force them out. Put it this way: what's the alternative and what do we have to lose?

United fans on strike, however long it takes. When this has been mooted previously some fans have said it would hurt the team in addition to the Glazers. However, I would say this is more important than short term results: it's about the long term future of the club. The players have already spent more than a year without crowds, so what's the difference?

Do you think it's the right thing and do you think it's achievable? I think we need a central, unified body to organise it, rather than leaving it to individuals to sort it themselves. It needs leadership. Following the Super League debacle and the total contempt the Glazers displayed towards us, I think we now also need to take the nuclear option. The Glazers were willing to do anything necessary to destroy football; we need to take the same approach now.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
No it's not achievable

And football has continued even with empty grounds - revenue is down but they can survive without matchday revenue

izzydiggler

People won’t do it...if people en masse stopped buying merch/subscriptions and watching the games, the Glazers would be gone within weeks.

I don’t blame fans though...I love watching Manchester United too but if you tune in tomorrow, it’s exactly why they won’t sell...ticket sales for games are nothing in comparison to sponsorship and TV money anyway, so really it’ll be down to that, rather than ticket sales.

No it's not achievable

And football has continued even with empty grounds - revenue is down but they can survive without matchday revenue
So how do we remove them, barring violence and mayhem? We need a peaceful, unified strategy to get them out. The Glazers aren't invincible and hitting them financially is the one thing they would understand. How else could we do it?

People won’t do it...if people en masse stopped buying merch/subscriptions and watching the games, the Glazers would be gone within weeks.

I don’t blame fans though...I love watching Manchester United too but if you tune in tomorrow, it’s exactly why they won’t sell...ticket sales for games are nothing in comparison to sponsorship and TV money anyway, so really it’ll be down to that, rather than ticket sales.
As I said, we should we looking at boycotting everything, including sponsors and TV. If we do that and campaign constantly and keep the pressure on, I think there would have to come a point when it would become more trouble than it's worth for the Glazers. However, it requires solidarity, organisation and constant persistence. The only thing we can do is try to make their tenure unbearable. If we don't, we just continue with their sordid regime of debt and decline.

izzydiggler

As I said, we should we looking at boycotting everything, including sponsors and TV. If we do that and campaign constantly and keep the pressure on, I think there would have to come a point when it would become more trouble than it's worth for the Glazers. However, it requires solidarity, organisation and constant persistence. The only thing we can do is try to make their tenure unbearable. If we don't, we just continue with their sordid regime of debt and decline.
I agree...it’s why I won’t be watching tomorrow but there won’t be enough people, especially long-term. I don’t even blame people - I want to watch the game too, I’ve just been taken to the edge and am making an (albeit tiny) stand. I very much doubt this lasts a few weeks, just like the ‘green and gold’ campaign. Again, I’m not mocking these people, it’s just very unlikely to lead to anything. Hope I’m wrong.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'd say the odds of pulling it off are better with a 3bn Kickstarter campaign.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So how do we remove them, barring violence and mayhem? We need a peaceful, unified strategy to get them out. The Glazers aren't invincible and hitting them financially is the one thing they would understand. How else could we do it?
Government reform is the best option so write to your MP, sign petition etc https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/583310

You also might consider joining MUST https://www.imust.org.uk/

Still protests like the ones yesterday are useful for awareness and there will be another before the Liverpool match

I'd say the odds of pulling it off are better with a 3bn Kickstarter campaign.
Government reform is the best option so write to your MP, sign petition etc https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/583310

You also might consider joining MUST https://www.imust.org.uk/

Still protests like the ones yesterday are useful for awareness and there will be another before the Liverpool match
I have already written to my MP, mate, and have been a member of MUST, plus giving a donation to them since 2006. Where has that brought us? I'm at the end of my my tether; the Glazers are killing us. We now need maximum pressure and to starve them out. We need a collective boycott to the death, IMO.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So what is our suggestion?
Sad to say, I really don’t see one.

They will leave on their own accord on their own time frame.

And there won’t be a concerted effort put forth by enough supporters to create the critical mass needed to speed that along.

We couldn’t do it before. The effect of this disastrous fiasco will also be largely blunted due to the pandemic.

They’re basically too big to fail right now & for the foreseeable future.

Sad to say, I really don’t see one.

They will leave on their own accord on their own time frame.

And there won’t be a concerted effort put forth by enough supporters to create the critical mass needed to speed that along.

We couldn’t do it before. The effect of this disastrous fiasco will also be largely blunted due to the pandemic.

They’re basically too big to fail right now & for the foreseeable future.
Only if we don't even try. As I said earlier, what do we have to lose? We must take this all the way. To surrender to their money would mean we deserve their tyranny. Can't we come together at last?

Tarrou

I think it's possible but highly unlikely as these things are extremely difficult to organise

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Only if we don't even try. As I said earlier, what do we have to lose? We must take this all the way. To surrender to their money would mean we deserve their tyranny. Can't we come together at last?
Not saying that it shouldn’t happen, that attempts shouldn’t be made.

Just realistically describing the outcome.

It’s also a very loose definition of tyranny. It’s football, after all.

Not saying that it shouldn’t happen, that attempts shouldn’t be made.

Just realistically describing the outcome.

It’s also a very loose definition of tyranny. It’s football, after all.
But in football terms it is the tyranny of money over those who love this club and this game. It's their way or nothing. What input do we have? We either fight or die here, but we need to make an effort to change our game. The ultimate question is whether we are prepared to destroy vulture capitalism, in order to save our game or not? Are we all driven by Thatcherite values now?

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
But in football terms it is the tyranny of money over those who love this club and this game. It's their way or nothing. What input do we have? We either fight or die here, but we need to make an effort to change our game. The ultimate question is whether we are prepared to destroy vulture capitalism, in order to save our game or not? Are we all driven by Thatcherite values now?
Again, I agree with you.

But this isn’t a Marvel movie, this is real life.

This is nothing new. It’s been this way for quite some time. This isn’t going to be a hill to die on. It’s not going to affect the owners one iota. It’s marvelous that we negated the SL, but the ownership isn’t going to change because of this.

There won’t be a concerted groundswell of opposition soon to the Glazers no matter how much Braveheart-ing is done, no matter how many calls are made to rise up against the ‘tyrants.’

That’s a fever dream. It’s one I would love to see actually come to pass, but it ain’t going to happen. Especially in the next couple of years.

I could potentially see something occurring right now if there were fans in stadiums, but they’re aren’t. And bluster over the internet isn’t going to accomplish what we would like to happen.

It’s a shame, but that’s reality.

Again, I agree with you.

But this isn’t a Marvel movie, this is real life.

This is nothing new. It’s been this way for quite some time. This isn’t going to be a hill to die on. It’s not going to affect the owners one iota. It’s marvelous that we negated the SL, but the ownership isn’t going to change because of this.

There won’t be a concerted groundswell of opposition soon to the Glazers no matter how much Braveheart-ing is done, no matter how many calls are made to rise up against the ‘tyrants.’

That’s a fever dream. It’s one I would love to see actually come to pass, but it ain’t going to happen. Especially in the next couple of years.

I could potentially see something occurring right now if there were fans in stadiums, but they’re aren’t. And bluster over the internet isn’t going to accomplish what we would like to happen.

It’s a shame, but that’s reality.
So what do we do: nothing? What's the plan? Surely we need to try something, rather than do nothing. If we fail, at least we tried.

Water Melon

Fans protest caused abandonment of ESL. This is huge. The leeches were banking on the easy money and they have lost hundreds of millions per year. Just imagine losing potential 300 million for the next 20 years. It is six billions. The rats will not spend much come summer, so even library supporters at OT will be disappointed. Hardcore fans will not forgive the betrayal anyway. Two three fans with a couple of bedsheets made the news. Imagine massive protests around and inside the Theatre of Dreams also supported by Gary Neville and the likes. There is not much milk left in the Glazers cash cow, so we need to do something before they take another loan and the debt grows further. If the borders open and travelling is allowed, I am ready to sacrifice my summer vacation budget to visit Manchester come new season and protest along with other reds. At least I will have tried to do my best.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Until when?
What are your demand?
If your demand is unrealistic, how long would you boycott?
How many of you are involved?
Would you willing to buy a ticket, and not attend in protest?
How many of you are ready? How long?

Boycott needs real sacrifices. You need to buy the ticket, and not attending. Attending late 10 minute, not clapping etc etc wont gonna do the job.

How far would you sacrifice for this boycott?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
And this is where it all falls down.

Why would the Glazers sell up when the grounds still full and they're still making money?

Protests and hashtags can only go far.

It's great that people have a fight in them and yesterday's turnout was good but we'll need to up the ante otherwise it will fizzle out like Green and Gold did in 2010.

In 2005, there were far larger protests going on and it didn't bother them.

And this is where it all falls down.

Why would the Glazers sell up when the grounds still full and they're still making money?

Protests and hashtags can only go far.

It's great that people have a fight in them and yesterday's turnout was good but we'll need to up the ante otherwise it will fizzle out like Green and Gold did in 2010.

In 2005, there were far larger protests going on and it didn't bother them.
I agree, we need an all or nothing approach. Either we see it through to the bitter end or we are stuck with them. The Glazers don't give a toss about green and gold scarfs; this has to be a fight to the death via a total boycott and constant pressure, but is it achievable? If we keep turning up to games, they win.

cyril C

Do you mean you will fully pay for the season ticket first, then refuse to show up? You are welcome.

Spoony

The People's President
A full boycott (of buying tickets and attending) would be the most effective way to get rid. Sponsors would hate it, TV firms would hate it.
Will the majority of fans care? The best way is to have a whip-round. We could collect billions.

Spoony

The People's President
Rebuilding OT would cost close to a billion. I get the feeling the Glazers have screwed the club. Just a hunch though.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Surly we're not worth more than 4 billion?? I bet that would've doubled with the SL.
The value would have increased hugely - our revenues would have been over 1bn a year. Oddly enough they would likely have looked to sell then - currently they think we’re undervalued to what our potential value is because the broadcasting revenue is still untapped.

Water Melon

If people even turn up to the games and have anti Glazer chats for a long time, they will notice it. Imagine the whole stadium chanting "We hate Glazers". Cameras will catch it it will be shown all over the world. Ten games in a row with constant anti Glazer chants and the pressure is even more. Much better than sitting at your PCs and discouragimg people to do anything. If all fans were sheeple, we would have been in ESL now, with zero chance of getting rid of the cnuts in the next 20 years.This is hell of an achievement, cost the leeches several billions.

Spoony

The People's President
The value would have increased hugely - our revenues would have been over 1bn a year. Oddly enough they would likely have looked to sell then - currently they think we’re undervalued to what our potential value is because the broadcasting revenue is still untapped.

I think they could've pulled it off had they incorporated some sort of promotion and relegation. Giving a chance to the likes of Leicester and Fenerbahce. They still would've earned bucketloads. A closed shop is so American, fans simply font like the idea of on his side of the pond.

Until when?
What are your demand?
If your demand is unrealistic, how long would you boycott?
How many of you are involved?
Would you willing to buy a ticket, and not attend in protest?
How many of you are ready? How long?

Boycott needs real sacrifices. You need to buy the ticket, and not attending. Attending late 10 minute, not clapping etc etc wont gonna do the job.

How far would you sacrifice for this boycott?
We need to go all the way. As I said, it would have to be a fight to the death: no tickets, no merchandise, boycott sponsors and TV until they are forced out. Make it impossible for them to have a day's peace. The only alternative is to let the Glazers remain and do as they wish. It's one or the other here; do we really want to remove them?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Then they can just block all incoming transfers because "we dont have the money".

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think they could've pulled it off had they incorporated some sort of promotion and relegation. Giving a chance to the likes of Leicester and Fenerbahce. They still would've earned bucketloads. A closed shop is so American, fans simply font like the idea of on his side of the pond.
Absolutely. A few tweaks and engaging with stakeholders beforehand would have seen this pass the PL clubs. Which is why it hasn’t gone away - the idea that suddenly these clubs now have no power is absolute fallacy. This was just the first iteration in its purest form.

If people even turn up to the games and have anti Glazer chats for a long time, they will notice it. Imagine the whole stadium chanting "We hate Glazers". Cameras will catch it it will be shown all over the world. Ten games in a row with constant anti Glazer chants and the pressure is even more. Much better than sitting at your PCs and discouragimg people to do anything. If all fans were sheeple, we would have been in ESL now, with zero chance of getting rid of the cnuts in the next 20 years.This is hell of an achievement, cost the leeches several billions.
It wouldn't work as they would have your money, which is all they care about. An empty stadium and minimal income is all they would notice. We tried protesting at games fifteen years ago, but nothing happened. They are shameless.