When have gambles on less than fully fit players paid off?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Everytime I remember a manager taking a risk on a less than fully first player to start a game they always fail. For instance Wayne Rooney against Bayern in 2010 is a case in point, he was so far below his normal level in retrospect he shouldn't have played.

My question is though, which of these types of gamble have actually paid off?

LoneStar

Robben to Bayern maybe? I had heard he was super injury prone for Real.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Everytime I remember a manager taking a risk on a less than fully first player to start a game they always fail. For instance Wayne Rooney against Bayern in 2010 is a case in point, he was so far below his normal level in retrospect he shouldn't have played.

He scored and got an assist in that game. I think it paid off somewhat.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Probably loads which we haven’t got a clue about. Players don’t tend to reveal their weaknesses before matches and you tend to only hear about them as an excuse when things don’t work out.

Players get injections before games and play through pain on a regular basis.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Probably loads which we haven’t got a clue about. Players don’t tend to reveal their weaknesses before matches and you tend to only hear about them as an excuse when things don’t work out.
Yeah, I thought that was likely to be the case. As you say, players take injections before games. I just wondered if there were any obvious examples when it had worked even if we depend on ex-pro testimony years later.

tomaldinho1

I can only think of times it's failed like Kane in the CL final or Rooney when he was rushed back for England + all the times United have subbed on players coming back from injuries (Martial, Jesse off the top of my head) and then they'd had to be subbed off again later that game.

iHicksy

Well United wise there was...

Hargea...oh
Jones..ah
Well there was Falc...oh
Bail...no not him either.

But in all seriousness Ruud had a pretty serious injury which called off his initial transfer to us and we took a gamble that'd he'd ever be the same player.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Many players mentioned that they weren't fully fit and had to take injections before playing the games. So players starting when not fully fit went well many a times.

Although injections are not as common now, they are still used today. Holland manager Ronald Koeman revealed Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk has been requiring “constant injections” to allow him to play with two broken ribs.
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...r-league-football-painkiller-addiction-214278

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Ronaldo Nazario only played a little over 1000 minutes of football in the three seasons before the 2002 World Cup. He was out most of 01-02 and only returned in April. They still took him to the World Cup and he scored 8 goals and won the damn thing.

0le

Ronaldo Nazario only played a little over 1000 minutes of football in the three seasons before the 2002 World Cup. He was out most of 01-02 and only returned in April. They still took him to the World Cup and he scored 8 goals and won the damn thing.
GOAT.

Siorac

He scored and got an assist in that game. I think it paid off somewhat.
He didn't score. He did get an assist, technically speaking:

But he wasn't great, he was limping hard by the end of the first half and was subbed in the 55th minute, after the Rafael red.

Brightonian

Fabregas played against Barca with what turned out to be a fractured bone in his leg, including salvaging a draw by scoring a penalty which was clearly agonising.

I don't think they knew before the penalty that he had a broken leg but there must at the very least have been some discomfort.

Oranges038

But he wasn't great, he was limping hard by the end of the first half and was subbed in the 55th minute, after the Rafael red.

Fecking Gibson.

There's a lad who saw his career go down the drain fairly quickly.

Djemba-Djemba

Per Mertesacker had missed pretty much the entire 16/17 season after injuring his knee in pre season.

Made his first start of the season in the FA Cup final against Chelsea, played brilliantly and Arsenal won the cup.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Both of our centre backs in the Champions League final in 2012 hadn't played since their injuries and first trained 2 days before it. They were both huge gambles but they both came through it okay.

gfive

You could say RVP was a bit of a gamble considering his injury issues at Arsenal before his final season there

Robben to Bayern maybe? I had heard he was super injury prone for Real.
Well United wise there was...

Hargea...oh
Jones..ah
Well there was Falc...oh
Bail...no not him either.

But in all seriousness Ruud had a pretty serious injury which called off his initial transfer to us and we took a gamble that'd he'd ever be the same player.
You could say RVP was a bit of a gamble considering his injury issues at Arsenal before his final season there
All didn’t read OP.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
RVP was considered an injury risk when he joined but that worked out well considering he won us a title.

Deery

Dreary
Maybe Zidane 2006 didn’t play all season then turns up and balls it but to ultimately fail in the final..

Herman Toothrot

21 goals and 15 assists from Rashford last time out, playing with injury for the entire season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maybe Zidane 2006 didn’t play all season then turns up and balls it but to ultimately fail in the final..
Zidane played normaly in 2006, he only missed games at the start of the season.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

I went off of the BBC website, in fairness to me I am at work and have read it wrong in my haste, so yeah, my bad.

But still. feck Bayern.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Probably loads which we haven’t got a clue about.
Yeah, first thing I thought when seeing the thread.

There are several documented cases of this too, of course - can't be arsed to provide links. But it's common enough.

I'd agree, however, that there aren't many cases of players who were known to be injured (to some extent) by the general public and then played to (varying degrees of) success.

MayfieldsFinest

Paul McGrath had no knees left when he joined Villa from United. Went onto be POTY in 1993 and nearly inspired Villa to the league the same year, which would have been at the expense of United's first under SAF.

Blackwidow

Schweinsteiger went through the World Cup tournament in 2014 injured and just could play because of injections. Afterwards he missed half a season.

Robben during the 2010 World Cup - afterwards he missed half a season...

If you do not remark it then - you might do that afterwards...

ChaddyP

Harry Magurie for the euros. Came back right after getting over his ankle injury and looked like he'd never stop playing

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Liverpool rushed Torres back from injury, and he was never the same again. Worked out pretty well for us.