When is a Red Card not a Red Card? Aaron Wan-Bissaka vs Kevin De Bruyne

Jericholyte2

I can't see a thread on this so feel free to merge if I've missed something.

Watched the PSG / Man City match and saw KdB get a yellow card for the EXACT same foul that saw AWB get a straight red (and just now announced that his ban will be extended to a 2nd game)! Now I'm not saying that AWB shouldn't have got a red because it's an ankle-breaker, but it's no less than KdB's foul yesterday.

A bit of consistency would be useful!

(Ignore the audio)

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Inconsistent application of rules. The level / standard of refereeing isn’t good enough and this is with video help.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
My first car was red.

Edit
Just realised it says card in the title, not car. Ignore me.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
TBH, I thought that KDB went for the ball, AWB was kind of also late but in a clumsy way.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
KDB's looks worse. Just seen UEFA have extended AWB's ban as well. Laughable.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They were both red cards. Doesn't really matter if de Bruyne touched the ball, it was ultimately the more dangerous challenge. Wan-Bissaka having his ban extended is the bigger joke though.

Matriac

The only possible explanation I've seen some say is that AWB messed up his first touch to lose control of the ball before going in a millisecond late to a 50/50 tackle that ended up badly.

I didn't see the KDB situation live, and from the above video it appears KDB is still technically in control of the ball as they both go into the tackle?

That players are punished worse for the AWB incident to encourage players to not attempt risky tackles as a reaction to just screwing up and losing the ball. (I think AWB's red was tough, but fair. Don't think he should have been given the additional game extension though.)

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
And he’s black. Same goes for Nani and Rafael.
Come on. KDB's oponnent kind of slides beneath him.
AWB just goes rather straightforward for the foot.

It's not the same kind of challenge. I am not saying they're both red, so many players have gotten away with a challenge like that from AWB.

Withnail

TBH, I thought that KDB went for the ball, AWB was kind of also late but in a clumsy way.
They both went for the ball and stood on the opponent. I don't see a huge difference between the two challenges.

I certainly don't see how one is a two-game ban and the other is a yellow.

Jaxa

Refereeing this year is in the gutter,

VAR will never be useful if the people operating it are idiots who have no common sense or clue about our game.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
They both went for the ball and stood on the opponent. I don't see a huge difference between the two challenges.

I certainly don't see how one is a two-game ban and the other is a yellow.
In a different way though. Also KDB's was more accidental/unintentioonal (or can be perceived as such).

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It was a blatant red card. I have no idea how they came to the conclusion that it wasn't. And got to love the fact that the commentators just breezed past it. Moving swiftly on...

Lynty

Both reds. AWB was late and clumsy. De Bruyne was late and out of control.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the difference is that AWB was 100% reckless, whereas the incident yesterday came about because both players made a risky challenge and strictly speaking Gueye mistimed his. I still think red would have been the better card, but maybe that created enough room for interpretation that VAR didn't deem the yellow card a clear mistake.

sebsheep

In a different way though. Also KDB's was more accidental/unintentioonal (or can be perceived as such).

Shows both with more angles. At 42 seconds shows just how bad that KDB one was.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
They are the same but I actually don't think either should be a red card. Anyone who's ever played football honestly tell me you'd pull out of either of those challenges?
Ohh... of course... especially AWB's happens very often even when we are playing just for fun. It's not intentional, more clumsy than anything else.
KDB's is more rare - in my football universe - cause usually one of the two would pull out of the challenge, quite possibly both.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea

Shows both with more angles. At 42 seconds shows just how bad that KDB one was.
I saw that but you realise that KDB's opponent slides in kind of horizontally.?

izzydiggler

You have studios of ‘experts’ with incidents at multiple angles, slow motion etc and they come to different conclusions, not to mention the fans in pubs and social media etc…

’Consistency’ is a pipe dream…it has never existed in any sport ever.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

It's not the same kind of challenge. I am not saying they're both red, so many players have gotten away with a challenge like that from AWB.
This.

sebsheep

I saw that but you realise that KDB's opponent slides in kind of horizontally.?
I see that, but the issue is how KDB goes into the challenge. Gueye coming in a different way wouldn't change that.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I thought the ref last night was just far more lenient than our ref last week. Barely any cards, let loads of stuff go (which you have to when you have both Grealish and Neymar on the pitch, or else there'd be no football). Whereas our Young Boys ref was clearly excited at his audition for the future Mike Dean role of spotlight ref.

I've advocated this before: if there are going to be throw-in coaches, there should be ref scouts as well for clubs. A match with Martin f*cking Atkinson is completely different from one with even Deano. I honestly doubt given Ole's general levels of preparedness his players even know who the ref is until they're out there shaking hands.

RUCK4444

They are both red cards. Pointless expecting anything of a decent level of consistency from refs in my opinion.

VAR hasn’t fixed that and I called that it wouldn’t from the outset.

Withnail

You couldn't really say AWBs was intentional.

Beside, I don't think intent comes into these decisions, does it?

They both made similar contact with the player and there isn't enough difference for me to justify the wildly different punishments.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Both reds - don’t understand how VAR watches that and says yellow card is justified.

AWB’s may or may not be worse but both are still reds.

sebsheep

But players reaction was no where near as dramatic, young boys player went well over the top trying to get AWB sent off and it worked.
True. That is how refs know what card to give.

arnie_ni

No one is arguing awb isn't a red fyi

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
If anything De Bruyne's looks more wreckless. WBS feels much more innocent.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You’ve got to feel that UEFA choosing to extend AWB’s card today over a week after the incident and when the incident was trending with people questioning why it was a red and a worse challenge a yellow is just a pure two fingers up at United. feck wayfer.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
That's really frustrating with inconsistencies. I understood match official could have interpreted the other way but at least var should have some consistency with help of videos.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Not sure what to make of these kind of tackles where the player wins the ball but follows through, not really much you can do once you've committed to the tackle is there?