Television When They See Us

Big Andy

Bloke
Watched this last night...absolutely brilliant limited series about the Central Park 5...

Big Andy

Bloke
Spectacular show but made my blood boil.
Yeah, how they were convicted with no evidence is beyond me...

That prosecutor with the perm and the blonde copper boil my piss...

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Good series, especially the last episode. Some of the stuff was too much on the nose though.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Powerful show with some very good performances. Ridiculous how they got convicted.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Watched the first episode tonight... One of the most difficult/sad/painful hours of television I've ever seen. Can't imagine it gets any easier...

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's brilliant but incredibly infuriating and painful to watch. Another damning indictment of the American justice system.

Were Huffman and Farmiga's characters such absolute cnut's in real life or was it dramatized?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Just watched the first episode and think I'm gonna finish it tomorrow, great watch but so sad that you could almost predict the outcome.

Pleasantly surprised to see Michael Kenneth Williams in it as well.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Remember it all. Wilding all of that. When it happened there was outrage against the kids. Everybody assumed they were guilty. Everybody.
What a different world it was. Stopped watching as it made me too angry at the system.

Massive Spanner

Finished it last night. Incredible show, this. If it wasn't for Chernobyl I'd be calling it the best miniseries I've seen in years.

Still clearly biased towards the boys and against the police officials, but I guess that's to be expected. It's hard to believe all five of them were so squeaky clean and all of those officers were such assholes. Also apparently every prison officer except Tom Hardy's twin is a complete dick.

Jharrel Jerome is a fantastic young actor.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just finished it. Absolutely heartbreaking and infuriating, especially that last episode. Poor Korey. My missus walked out halfway through the first episode, she couldn’t hack the injustice of it all.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Considering there is absolutely nothing to watch on Netflix I will for sure be watching this. Looks good and have heard good things about it.

wr8_utd

:'(
That 4th episode was, at times, amongst the finest television I've seen. Heartbreaking and infuriating in equal measure. Korey is the one you really feel for the most.

lsd

The Oracle
It's brilliant but incredibly infuriating and painful to watch. Another damning indictment of the American justice system.

Were Huffman and Farmiga's characters such absolute cnut's in real life or was it dramatized?

I would say they were total cnuts you can see the real video confessions on you tube and they were so accurate on the show especially Korey's .

One thing I've learnt is they actually arrested more than 5 at the time and you can see the other confessions too .

They all try to make the boys blame each other and implicate themselves doing so .

Plus what society sends a 16 year old to an adult prison?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Finished it. One of the most heartbreaking and infuriating shows I've ever seen. I felt so bad for the lot of them but especially Korey, who wasn't originally even on the list and just went along to support his friend. As he says, "It's not the Central Park 5, it's the Central Park 4 Plus 1".

That last episdoe was absolutely harrowing but I do wonder, what happened to the officer played by Tim Hardy. Seemed like a decent bloke.

Crazy how they're still living in the states, run by a moron that tried to have a bunch of minors face the death penalty.

Tarrou

Finished it. One of the most heartbreaking and infuriating shows I've ever seen. I felt so bad for the lot of them but especially Korey, who wasn't originally even on the list and just went along to support his friend. As he says, "It's not the Central Park 5, it's the Central Park 4 Plus 1".

That last episdoe was absolutely harrowing but I do wonder, what happened to the officer played by Tim Hardy. Seemed like a decent bloke.

Crazy how they're still living in the states, run by a moron that tried to have a bunch of minors face the death penalty.
It was the fake Tom Hardy I think mate

diarm

Jesus that was a tough watch. Rare that you get two series as good as this and Chernobyl so close together but it was superb. The kid who played Korey should be up for every award going.

Massive Spanner

I've seen the documentary so I've not watched episode 3 or 4 yet as I basically know what happened - Worth me watching by the looks of this thread?
Episode 3 is probably the weakest (but still good). 4 is absolutely superb because the guy who plays Korey is amazing in the role, so definitely worth watching.

Sterling Archer

Finished it last night. Incredible show, this. If it wasn't for Chernobyl I'd be calling it the best miniseries I've seen in years.

Still clearly biased towards the boys and against the police officials, but I guess that's to be expected. It's hard to believe all five of them were so squeaky clean and all of those officers were such assholes. Also apparently every prison officer except Tom Hardy's twin is a complete dick.

Jharrel Jerome is a fantastic young actor.
So like someone else noted, actual interview tapes et cetera corroborate. But you expect level of integrity to only get better as you move to the top. Cops being rough assholes is expected, because by default they are dealing with mostly individuals causing trouble. What the attorney does is just... unspeakable wrong.

Also keep in mind the time. Before Guliani cleaned up NYC so there was already a lot of fear any honestly, petty crimes all over. Whether the boys were squeaky clean is completely irrelevant. Black youth are viewed and treated much more severely for even petty crimes. Something like stealing candy or gum from a deli gets them branded as criminals (especially back then by American society) versus the same crime by a suburban white teenage girl. They weren't just easy targets, they were the exact scapegoat most of the city was looking for. It's a real real shame

RedFish

High quality drama. First 2 episodes killed me, and the final episode finishes off a stunningly poignant story. Watching it you can't help feeling that anyone who hasn't seen this should watch this.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Each episode was too long. Either make it 6 episodes or get an editor. Overall it was good though. When you see what the police and prosecutors did in this high profile case and paid no price for their actions, it's really something to think of the thousands of times this happened and no one ever got even the small form of justice these kids did.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It must have been stressful acting in this. Omar from The Wire ages two decades in 4 episodes :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Crikey, this is fecking infuriating to watch.

Also, did time stop for Famke Janssen or did she just do a botoxception.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I can't really say I enjoyed it. It just makes you feel bad and angry..

Omar being in it, counts for a lot of points though.

onemanarmy

I watched the first episode last night. I didn't know the story about the Central Park 5.

It was infuriating, felt very uncomfortable watching it. Not the most relaxing show to see on a Sunday evening, to say the least. Gonna watch the rest in the next couple of days, I hope it maintains it quality during the next episodes.

youngrell

I watched the first episode last night. I didn't know the story about the Central Park 5.

It was infuriating, felt very uncomfortable watching it. Not the most relaxing show to see on a Sunday evening, to say the least. Gonna watch the rest in the next couple of days, I hope it maintains it quality during the next episodes.
It certainly does. And I'm afraid to say it gets even more uncomfortable to watch in parts. Brilliant piece of work.