When will we get players back from injury?

Sylar

Our midfield and options will look a whole lot different with McT, Pogba, Matic available This should also see Bruno not having to come deep to get the ball (as we wont have to use Pereira in that position like we tried initially against Wolves which nullified Bruno).

The obvious worry is that we are getting so many injuries and its not a new thing. We used to get a lot under SAF too (that one point we had a back three of a cb, a lb and something else).

romufc

Why would a player that did good on loan, and played well in the little he's played for us not deserve the chance to make the spot his own before deciding on whether we should spend 75m on another CB?
He did good on loan in the championship. How many games has he played for us?

If you are comparing him to Lindelof, he has made mistakes too and looked very nervy Vs Newcastle away.

We have one of the best defenses in the league as well.

bsCallout

He did good on loan in the championship. How many games has he played for us?

If you are comparing him to Lindelof, he has made mistakes too and looked very nervy Vs Newcastle away.

We have one of the best defenses in the league as well.
Yes, he did good on loan, where he was. He hasn't played many for us because he came back in the summer, played in preseason, then picked up an injury early on.

I'm not comparing him to anybody. I'm saying I don't think Lindelof is good enough long term and gets exploited often and that I think Tuanzabe has shown enough to deserve the opportunity to play and show his worth before buying an expensive alternative. Hardly a revolutionary idea or unreasonable.

He is also 3/4 younger than Lindelof.

romufc

Yes, he did good on loan, where he was. He hasn't played many for us because he came back in the summer, played in preseason, then picked up an injury early on.

I'm not comparing him to anybody. I'm saying I don't think Lindelof is good enough long term and gets exploited often and that I think Tuanzabe has shown enough to deserve the opportunity to play and show his worth before buying an expensive alternative. Hardly a revolutionary idea or unreasonable.

He is also 3/4 younger than Lindelof.
I agree he did well and I too want to see a defender who is physical and quick.

I don't think he is ready yet, I would rather see him get Europa league games and prove he can stay fit.

The last thing we want to see is a promising CB who keeps getting injured.

Not saying we have quality CB's but the 3 backup CB's are not reliable one bit.

Jones, Bailly and Tuanzebe seem to be injury prone.

Mickson

Composure on the ball. And more importantly, good performances at centre half at the very highest of levels in the biggest of games. It’s not as simple as everyone who is faster and slightly stronger than Lindelöf is better than him. Going by Axel’s actual performances, there’s a disparity between the player discussed on here and the one on the pitch. The one on the pitch has performed worse than Lindelöf has. That doesn’t mean Lindelöf is the answer either, because I don’t think he is. But not sure what the basis is that Axel Tuanzebe is a better centre half than him. People see what they want. Always happens, until at some point, what they actually see and the actual performances align, and then the criticism of the youth players starts.

The main thing he doesn’t have is Mancunian youth team status of course.
Well, it's a fair point you are making. However, I have seen plenty of Axel - at youth level, at Villa, at United - that I see he has things that Lindelof doesn't have. Lindelof is ahead for two reasons 1) injury-free and 2) experience. IF Axel manages to stay free of injury, I'm sure he will be ahead in the future. Axel has the speed, the strength, the athleticism that Lindelof will never get. Axel has things to work on but there are things that he will get with age and more experience. But, as I said, if he stays injury-free.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Guessing we'll have Rashford for Brighton away at the start of April. March has City home, Spurs away, Sheffield Utd at home. Wouldnt think its smart to rush him back for one of those first 2, but maybe Sheffield. That would be another 9 games (1 fa cup, 2 europa), plus potential for 2 more europa league games if we get past Brugge (probably).

McTominay I'd guess either Watford or 2nd leg vs Brugge or Everton away (3/4 games out). Pogba either 1st leg vs Brugge or Watford to start? Probably bench against Chelsea?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well, it's a fair point you are making. However, I have seen plenty of Axel - at youth level, at Villa, at United - that I see he has things that Lindelof doesn't have. Lindelof is ahead for two reasons 1) injury-free and 2) experience. IF Axel manages to stay free of injury, I'm sure he will be ahead in the future. Axel has the speed, the strength, the athleticism that Lindelof will never get. Axel has things to work on but there are things that he will get with age and more experience. But, as I said, if he stays injury-free.
It’s all about the level of the player ultimately. Being faster and stronger than Lindelöf doesn’t make you a better centre half than him. Ro’Shaun Williams was similarly hyped once upon a time, and he had even more speed and strength than Tuanzebe.

I too have watched Axel play. I think his most impressive spell was under Mourinho, playing RB and DM for us. I agree that he was also very impressive at youth level, but if I listed the starting XIs of most of the teams played against back then, loads will be playing in League One and below today, some will be painters and decorators by now. Ultimately, a player has to deliver at senior level. Axel of course has plenty of time to do that, but he still has to go out and do it. Lindelöf, for all his flaws, has done exactly that, in the biggest of games, on a number of occasions. Saying he is not good enough is a relative statement. He’s not all that only in comparison to the very best centre halves in the world. That doesn’t extend to raw centre halves with 20 senior starts. I’ll be surprised if there are 10-15 better centre halves than Lindelöf in the PL.

mancan92

I do understand that.
My point is that United has really only had 3 players missing at the same time.

Pogba has hardly played all season. And when he has, he has made little impact.

McTominay is a loss but recently Matic has come in and played really well.

And of course Rashford is a big loss. No doubt about that.

But to compare them to Keane, Scholes, Yorke and Beckham is nothing like the same.
What are you on about? Its the same because thats literally 3 of our best players. The poster is abolutely right thats our current equivalent not that those players are as good as Keane and the likes.

billybee99

We will be equally as shit, it doesn't matter.
This. We have had plenty of games during Ole's tenure where the squad was fit, or close to it (because it's pretty much impossible to have every single player fit), and we still look poor and the results have been poor. Nothing seems to change much.

A-man

I think this is how you have to look at Tuanzebe, as something that can be developed in to something good. What I have seen so far, all his poor sides are things that have the possibilities to be improved with training and experience. Maybe he is a late bloomer due to the fact that he has played so little senior football. He played roughly 50% of the Championship matches for Villa last season plus a few minutes PL here and there, that’s about it. Is it even realistic to believe that he should have experience enough to be a starter for Manchester United with so few matches under his belt? The injuries really destroyed for him as I think he would have got plenty of chances this season.

mancan92

I'm sure you get my point though.

Fernandes is definitely better than Pereira and Lingard, that's not a question. Pogba in our team, even out of form, creates a lot of chances. I'm a fan of the little we've seen of Tuanzabe, and think he has some better attributes than Lindelof, he's certainly better than Jones and less likely to get sent off than Bailly. McTominay goes straight in. And for arguments sake, Matic can easily swap with Fred.

I think it is reasonable to assume the following team could be very good, especially compared to our recent lineups. The other important point is the ability to make genuine changes that could help us with a full squad.

De Gea
AWB
Tuanzabe
Maguire
Williams
Matic
McTominay
Pogba
Fernandes
Rashford
Ighalo

Bench -
Romero
Lindelof
Greenwood
Martial
James
Shaw

Why in the world would ighalo start? :lol:

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hmmm, where are you guys getting this information from? are they even back in light training ? I admire your optimism but think it’ll be some time before either is seen.
Pretty sure Ole had mentioned about Scott and Pogba returning after the winter break. For Pogba it would have almost been a month and a half since his surgery, which seeing as how it was a minor procedure, should be enough time for him to return. McTominay had been injured on Boxing day with the prognosis being a 2 month lay-off, so he's bound to be near a return as well come 17 February. He's been walking without crutches since end of January and he would not have lost that much muscle in one month to require a long recovery time. Unless he suffers a setback I would expect him to be playing either against Chelsea or the week after.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Pretty sure Ole had mentioned about Scott and Pogba returning after the winter break. For Pogba it would have almost been a month and a half since his surgery, which seeing as how it was a minor procedure, should be enough time for him to return. McTominay had been injured on Boxing day with the prognosis being a 2 month lay-off, so he's bound to be near a return as well come 17 February. He's been walking without crutches since end of January and he would not have lost that much muscle in one month to require a long recovery time. Unless he suffers a setback I would expect him to be playing either against Chelsea or the week after.
I'll believe it when I see them on the pitch, the weirdest thing about this season has been the random dates given for players returning from injury that have in some cases turned out to be completely wrong by months.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'll believe it when I see them on the pitch, the weirdest thing about this season has been the random dates given for players returning from injury that have in some cases turned out to be completely wrong by months.
Can't argue with you there.

bsCallout

Why in the world would ighalo start? :lol:

You've completely missed the point. But for arguments sake, I've said you could see them all(the missing players) in the starting line-up, with Martial being out of form and Greenwood being so young, or even just tactically, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ighalo up top with Rashford. Then you have the ability to make a genuine change with Martial and Greenwood to come on.

I'd be happy to see Ighalo start sometimes, as he does have talent, if I knew Martial and Greenwood were being rested and ready to come on and change the game. Compare that to the weekends options and that is the point I'm making.

I'm not saying he is the best striker available. Origi sometimes starts for Liverpool and Mane gets a rest and can come on. That is the importance of having these players available.

Red71

We have to hope that the return of (most of) the injured players, and the upcoming break for a thin squad which has been well and truly flogged, will have a huge effect on the performances for the remainder of the season. The additional quality they bring us is missed.

I think we almost have to forget about what’s gone before and say the season starts now. I think that the aim has to be win the two cup competitions we’re in and get ourselves into the CL spots.

Again, let’s hope that the returning players, as well as the new additions, reinvigorate the team and turn this season into something very decent. Ever the optimist....

mancan92

You've completely missed the point. But for arguments sake, I've said you could see them all(the missing players) in the starting line-up, with Martial being out of form and Greenwood being so young, or even just tactically, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ighalo up top with Rashford. Then you have the ability to make a genuine change with Martial and Greenwood to come on.

I'd be happy to see Ighalo start sometimes, as he does have talent, if I knew Martial and Greenwood were being rested and ready to come on and change the game. Compare that to the weekends options and that is the point I'm making.

I'm not saying he is the best striker available. Origi sometimes starts for Liverpool and Mane gets a rest and can come on. That is the importance of having these players available.
Ok fair enough

Eleven-Eighteen

Our first XI, fully fit, is actually pretty good...especially with the addition of Bruno. Really really sucks that we won't see that XI play together this season, at least until May.

De Gea-AWB-Maguire-Lindelof-Williams/ Shaw-McTom-Fred/Matic-Bruno-Pogba-Martial-Rashford

I think that's easily a Top 4 contending team, if not higher