When will we get players back from injury?

RedDevil@84

Hopefully we don't rush any of our players. Let them recover completely, be match fit and all.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think I read Pogba and McTominay are due back this month, Matic will be back next game thankfully. This break seems to be coming at a very good time for us, gives the new lads a chance to settle in and we'll hopefully have 3 midfielders back and raring to go, which hopefully spells an end to Pereira in midfield.

Albin Johansson

Still can't believe how unlucky Ole has been with injuries.

We really need Pogba, Rashfrod and McTominay back. I was also hoping Tuanzebe would take Lindelofs place in the team this season.
I disagree. I'm sure the squad have been as injury prone as previous seasons, only this time our lack of quality back-ups are exposing us game after game.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Injuries are a fact of life in professional football.
He is no more unlucky than any other manager where it is not unheard of to have 3 players missing.l at any one time.

His problem is lack of adequate squad depth, mainly self inflicted.
Name one team in the Premier league that has had their by far 3 most important outfield players long term injured this season at the same time

Banana Republic

Neither Pogba or McT are going to the winter training camp, so the earliest we could see them is likely to be late Feb or early March.
It might be later than that.
Matic should be back from suspension after the break and if he can keep up with his recent good form, the area where we’re most desperately short is the front line. Ighalo coming in should help, but apart from Bruno and Fred, who fills in the gaps?

sp_107

We can talk about RW, Strikers but I think since 2013 we are missing a solid Defensive Midfielder. If you look at few best games we had in recent times, It was when SMT on a roll. We really need someone like Neves, Soumare in next window to compliment SMT.

DM, ST, RW. If we get 3 top players in these positions, we will be in a better situation.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I do understand that.
My point is that United has really only had 3 players missing at the same time.

Pogba has hardly played all season. And when he has, he has made little impact.

McTominay is a loss but recently Matic has come in and played really well.

And of course Rashford is a big loss. No doubt about that.

But to compare them to Keane, Scholes, Yorke and Beckham is nothing like the same.
He’s probably, in a handful of games, created more chances than all of our midfielders, probably combined, so I don’t agree with you trying to make out he’s no loss at all. You are also using the fact that he’s hardly played this season as some sort of reason in itself that he hasn’t been much of a loss! Because we never had him? That’s the point! He’s contracted to us, we’d be better if we could actually use him.

Scholes, Keane and Yorke etc are simply examples of players who were as important to their team as Pogba, McTominay, Rashford and Martial are to ours now. It’s just not the same team if you take your best players out of it. Even if we had a bit more depth, like we absolutely should have, unless we had so much quality that we don’t even know our best XI, losing 4 of your best players for prolonged periods simply means you are not the same team. 5 players if you add Shaw.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I was actually thinking more along the lines of Lingard, Pereira, Mata ;)
Please don’t mention Mata and those two flops in the same breath. Mata has been wonderful to this club. At 31 he doesn’t have the pace and endurance, anymore, but he always does his best and he’s always the smartest player on the pitch. In games where we needed his particular style + skills, he’s been good for us, even this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Name one thing that Lindelof has that Axel hasn't.
Composure on the ball. And more importantly, good performances at centre half at the very highest of levels in the biggest of games. It’s not as simple as everyone who is faster and slightly stronger than Lindelöf is better than him. Going by Axel’s actual performances, there’s a disparity between the player discussed on here and the one on the pitch. The one on the pitch has performed worse than Lindelöf has. That doesn’t mean Lindelöf is the answer either, because I don’t think he is. But not sure what the basis is that Axel Tuanzebe is a better centre half than him. People see what they want. Always happens, until at some point, what they actually see and the actual performances align, and then the criticism of the youth players starts.

The main thing he doesn’t have is Mancunian youth team status of course.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pogba? Won't play again this season
Mctominay? Conflicting reports
Rashford? April/May
Tuanzebe? Unknown. Was due back weeks ago

JPB

Pogba and Fernandes could be a thing of beauty in a 433 with either Scott, Matic or Fred behind them. We need him back desperately.

Hammondo

Pogba and Fernandes could be a thing of beauty in a 433 with either Scott, Matic or Fred behind them. We need him back desperately.
Can't use that against top teams, we will get dominated in midfield.

Augustus Gloop

Neither Pogba or McT are going to the winter training camp, so the earliest we could see them is likely to be late Feb or early March.
It might be later than that.
Matic should be back from suspension after the break and if he can keep up with his recent good form, the area where we’re most desperately short is the front line. Ighalo coming in should help, but apart from Bruno and Fred, who fills in the gaps?
Scott and Pogba could be ready for Chelsea if they resume full training next week.

Scott will be strengthening his knee; when he was out injured last time he only needed one full training session before being ready for Spurs.

So I wouldn’t read too much into them not going to the winter training camp.

JPB

Can't use that against top teams, we will get dominated in midfield.
We would be the ones doing the dominating in midfield. We would actually have 2 players who can pass the ball for once.

Hammondo

We would be the ones doing the dominating in midfield. We would actually have 2 players who can pass the ball for once.
And you think that's all you need to dominate the midfield?

JPB

And you think that's all you need to dominate the midfield?
You're telling me it will be any worse than playing Andreas Pereira in central midfield?

If Pogba Herrera Matic worked for us so can Pogba Fernandes Matic. It should be even better.

Seb burrow

Scott McTominayKnee InjuryJan 10: "Scott's going to be out for a while. We won't see him before the winter break, we'll see him hopefully in February."23/02/2020NoneRuled OutTrack
Nemanja MaticSuspendedSending Off - Two Yellow Cards17/02/2020NoneRuled OutTrack
Axel TuanzebeThigh InjuryHamstring Strain17/02/2020NoneRuled OutTrack
Paul PogbaAnkle/Foot InjuryJan 01: "He's injured now and he'll probably need an Op on his foot. We've had a consultant looking at him and the club has done the scans. He'll probably be out for three or four weeks."17/02/2020NoneRuled Out
only issue is we’re not allowed to arrange international friendlies during the break to help give them some playing minutes.

reckon it’ll take them a few weeks to get match fit after the break.

desperately needed these 3 are.

Hammondo

You're telling me it will be any worse than playing Andreas Pereira in central midfield?

If Pogba Herrera Matic worked for us so can Pogba Fernandes Matic. It should be even better.
I did not say it would be worse than with pereira, that's called a straw man fallacy.

Herrera and matic do defensive work and know how to do defensive positioning/reading. So yes it worked, it's a well balanced midfield.

JPB

I did not say it would be worse than with pereira, that's called a straw man fallacy.

Herrera and matic do defensive work and know how to do defensive positioning/reading. So yes it worked, it's a well balanced midfield.
Fernandes is a better football player than Herrera. Also you think we paid 60 million for him to sit on the bench when Pogba's back? You better believe they're going to play together.

Even if it doesn't work against the big teams, that's not where we struggle. We struggle to break down teams who sit back and park the bus. So them two will be perfect to find a way through a packed defence.

Last edited:

romufc

Fernandes ist better football player than Herrera. Also you think we paid 60 million for him to sit on the bench when Pogba's back? You better believe they're going to play together.

Even if it doesn't work against the big teams, that's not where we struggle. We struggle to break down teams who sit back and park the bus. So them two will be perfect to find a way through a packed defence.
I don't get this when Pogba's back theory.

Realistically, how many games will they even start together ?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Reckon Pogba and McTominay will be in the squad for the Chelsea game. Rashford will probably be back after the international break in April. No idea about Axel.

Ludens the Red

Scott and Pogba could be ready for Chelsea if they resume full training next week.

Scott will be strengthening his knee; when he was out injured last time he only needed one full training session before being ready for Spurs.

So I wouldn’t read too much into them not going to the winter training camp.
Reckon Pogba and McTominay will be in the squad for the Chelsea game. Rashford will probably be back after the international break in April. No idea about Axel.
Hmmm, where are you guys getting this information from? are they even back in light training ? I admire your optimism but think it’ll be some time before either is seen.

bsCallout

Has Axel shown anything to suggest that he’s a better option than Lindelöf? Sounds like usual academy bias to me.
In my opinion, yes. BUT even if not, he deserves the chance to show whether he could be Maguire's partner next year as Lindelof definitely shouldn't.

Paul_Scholes18

Rashford might not be back this season sadly. We will see though. I hope he is not rushed back for the Euros. Could be like the Rooney situation and I don't think Rooney ever reached the same level physically after that.

I hope Scott and Pogba is back soon. Would not start them against Chelsea, but maybe against Brugge one of them could play.

bsCallout

It's unreal how much better we *should* be with Fernandes, Ighalo, McTominay, Pogba, Rashford, Tuanzabe & Matic all in the squad. You could argue they all start when fit, in a diamond formation.

We should expect that team to win the Europa in my opinion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In my opinion, yes. BUT even if not, he deserves the chance to show whether he could be Maguire's partner next year as Lindelof definitely shouldn't.
I’m not sure why Axel deserves anything. Even if Lindelöf is not the answer, we should certainly be going into the market. And even then, I don’t think it’s pressing.

Add to that the fact that Tuanzebe can’t stay fit. As things stand, I’d sell him before Lindelöf. He’s young and British and some team would probably pay £25m-£30m for him, which would of course be unwarranted, but will be considered his price. The teams that would pay such a fee for him are an indication of where he is currently too. It will be a mid-table side.

Again, I don’t think Lindelöf is all that at all and would gladly see him replaced. But with someone better than he is. Just because he isn’t the best doesn’t mean everyone is better than him.

Paul_Scholes18

It's unreal how much better we *should* be with Fernandes, Ighalo, McTominay, Pogba, Rashford, Tuanzabe & Matic all in the squad. You could argue they all start when fit, in a diamond formation.

We should expect that team to win the Europa in my opinion.
Feels like that is hyping up the guys that do not play much as our saviours.
With Rashford he would lift our attack like he has all season.
The hype there is justified given how many goals he has scored for us and that we have 0 league goals without him.
Bruno and Ighalo are totally unknown in our side so hard to know if we would improve with them.
Bruno should be much better than Lingard and Pereira, but is he better than Pogba as our number 10 and can they play well together?
Tuanzebe is worse than Jones and Bailly in my opinion from what I have watched. Gets hyped by not having played that much.
Matic has done very well recently and Mctominay has been great this season.
Although Fred should play so we might only have room for one of them. Good with more options though so we could rotate.
Pogba in form is amazing, but when it is out of it he can be totally crap. Remember the end of last season and start of this one.

Think our best 11 for big games should be Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Lindelöf, Shaw/williams, Fred, Mctominay, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Martial. Ighalo might be better than Martial so we should wait and see with him. I don't think anyone has watched him in China though so we just remember the days at Watford.

bsCallout

Feels like that is hyping up the guys that do not play much as our saviours.
With Rashford he would lift our attack like he has all season.
The hype there is justified given how many goals he has scored for us and that we have 0 league goals without him.
Bruno and Ighalo are totally unknown in our side so hard to know if we would improve with them.
Bruno should be much better than Lingard and Pereira, but is he better than Pogba as our number 10 and can they play well together?
Tuanzebe is worse than Jones and Bailly in my opinion from what I have watched. Gets hyped by not having played that much.
Matic has done very well recently and Mctominay has been great this season.
Although Fred should play so we might only have room for one of them. Good with more options though so we could rotate.
Pogba in form is amazing, but when it is out of it he can be totally crap. Remember the end of last season and start of this one.

Think our best 11 for big games should be Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Lindelöf, Shaw/williams, Fred, Mctominay, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Martial. Ighalo might be better than Martial so we should wait and see with him. I don't think anyone has watched him in China though so we just remember the days at Watford.
I'm sure you get my point though.

Fernandes is definitely better than Pereira and Lingard, that's not a question. Pogba in our team, even out of form, creates a lot of chances. I'm a fan of the little we've seen of Tuanzabe, and think he has some better attributes than Lindelof, he's certainly better than Jones and less likely to get sent off than Bailly. McTominay goes straight in. And for arguments sake, Matic can easily swap with Fred.

I think it is reasonable to assume the following team could be very good, especially compared to our recent lineups. The other important point is the ability to make genuine changes that could help us with a full squad.

De Gea
AWB
Tuanzabe
Maguire
Williams
Matic
McTominay
Pogba
Fernandes
Rashford
Ighalo

Bench -
Romero
Lindelof
Greenwood
Martial
James
Shaw

Last edited:

bsCallout

I’m not sure why Axel deserves anything. Even if Lindelöf is not the answer, we should certainly be going into the market. And even then, I don’t think it’s pressing.

Add to that the fact that Tuanzebe can’t stay fit. As things stand, I’d sell him before Lindelöf. He’s young and British and some team would probably pay £25m-£30m for him, which would of course be unwarranted, but will be considered his price. The teams that would pay such a fee for him are an indication of where he is currently too. It will be a mid-table side.

Again, I don’t think Lindelöf is all that at all and would gladly see him replaced. But with someone better than he is. Just because he isn’t the best doesn’t mean everyone is better than him.
Why would a player that did good on loan, and played well in the little he's played for us not deserve the chance to make the spot his own before deciding on whether we should spend 75m on another CB?

That's just common sense.

Whether or not he does make it his own is irrelevant until he proves he can or can't when the other options is Lindelof who isn't good enough long term.

If as your point states it isn't pressing then it doesn't matter if you give Tuanzabe a try and he gets injured again and you get rid of him, but you at least give him an opportunity after his injury.

What a weird idea to just say 'no, let's not play him again, even if he does turn out good'.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why would a player that did good on loan, and played well in the little he's played for us not deserve the chance to make the spot his own before deciding on whether we should spend 75m on another CB?

That's just common sense.

Whether or not he does make it his own is irrelevant until he proves he can or can't when the other options is Lindelof who isn't good enough long term.

If as your point states it isn't pressing then it doesn't matter if you give Tuanzabe a try and he gets injured again and you get rid of him, but you at least give him an opportunity after his injury.

What a weird idea to just say 'no, let's not play him again, even if he does turn out good'.
I didn’t say ‘let’s not play him again’ though. That would be weird. As weird as it would be to suddenly say, ‘let’s drop Lindelöf and replace him with a player who has not shown to be as good’.

You saying he ‘did good on loan and played well with the chances he got’ to me is a lazy and rushed assessment, lacking the detail. How well did he play on loan? I imagine for reds watching on, they were easily impressed. They would already be watching with a bias, with a view to being impressed. Objectively speaking, was he one of the best centre halves in the Championship? Did we have many PL teams offering us big money in the summer? ‘He played well when he got the chance’ - really? How well? Well enough to force his way into a Manchester United first XI? Not from what I saw. His sloppiness was just excused by those who already have a positive prejudice towards him. He wasn’t THAT good at Villa, to the point where he was United first team standard, and hasn’t been that good this season, to the point where he’s better than Lindelöf.

Now, Axel could become anything. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a chance to become a United regular. But in my opinion, this forum is ridden with sweeping overrating and giving of dues to youth players who have not earned it, every flaw being glossed over, every positive being exaggerated, to the point where there are two versions of the same player. As I’ve said many times, the reality is, most of them, and most players in general are not good enough to be in our first XI. The amount we hype up is so much bigger than those who are are actually good enough. Axel has shown me nothing that would suggest he’s near to being currently good enough for us. Eventually, when these players do make it through and turn out to be average by 24, everyone gets mad at them then. Andreas Pereira is a current example. Vastly overrated for ages. Clueless United not giving him a chance. Now he’s a villain. He was never that good. Even in our academy, he was never that good. The standard to play here is very very high. Tuanzebe, from what I’ve seen, is not above the Pereira, Welbeck, Cleverley level of talent, and my projection if I was forced to make one today is that he’ll be sold to a mid-table side for £25m within 2 years. That being said, I do recognise that at his age, he has a chance to improve and prove me wrong.

Hammondo

Fernandes ist better football player than Herrera. Also you think we paid 60 million for him to sit on the bench when Pogba's back? You better believe they're going to play together.

You do realize Herrera and Fernandes play 2 different roles right?

JPB

You do realize Herrera and Fernandes play 2 different roles right?
i know they are two different types of players, Mr. know it all.

what i was saying is, that we should try a 4-3-3 with Pogba and Fernandes and one of Matic, Scott or Fred behind them.