Where are Aston Villa going?…

RuudTom83

That is what you get when you have a top class coach.
Yeah, with years of managing (sometimes failing) in different leagues, but given time and the right environment you can flourish and get good results.

Something fans can learn from to.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah, with years of managing (sometimes failing) in different leagues, but given time and the right environment you can flourish and get good results.

Very good point.
I have continually backed EtH. But even I am starting to lose patience.
It is always one excuse after another.

gajender

Emery is a good coach what he is doing with Villa isn't unexpected he has done that though out his career , he is in an Environment which he finds himself comfortable with and excels at he had his chances at top Clubs but didn't exactly cover himself in Glory .

CallyRed

If they had any sense they should be trying to get away from Birmingham

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wherever it is they’re going, I want us to go there too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Turns out they were heading to the Champions League after all.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Much rather have a serious go in the cups than stake everything on finishing 4th as we did under O'Neill and it all blew up as soon as he left.

Qualify for europa league and we can have a good run in that if we add another 3-4 decent players and don't lose anyone significant in next two seasons. If Emery can win the competition with Villareal he can do it with us. Frankfurt is also comparable club.

Back to front we look a serious team now. We've conceded about six goals in three months so that's terrific building blocks. What we need is more scoring options in final third as Bailey and Buendia are too inconsistent or simply not good enough to be serious players in any top 4 challenge so we simply don't score enough goals compared to likes of Brighton.

Got some decent youth proving themselves in championship so interested who secures a squad place next season or continues on loan at Boro if they get promoted.
Leon Bailey turning into his counter attack Bundesliga self again was a huge success of this season. Hopefully there's more to come from Diaby as what people saw v Liverpool is how he's pretty much been, some fantastic runs but the end product is then so wasteful.

I think with regards signings a DM will be first in as Kamara won't be back until December so basically out of our CL campaign and none of the others are comfortable playing as the 6 bar Tielemans maybe.

Maybe another CB as think we'll be seeing plenty of Konsa at RB in the CL games given some of the left wingers we'll be coming up against.

Getting all of Mings, Buendia and Jacob Ramsey back fit in August will give us much needed options to rotate for prem games straight after.

I'd still also like another top forward in but Duran could alight after that Liverpool cameo so let's see how he starts next season first.

This is all after giving Unai a 20 year contract extension with 500m buyout clause obvs. :D

Todd

Fair play to them but I'd bet they'll pull a Newcastle. They won't make it out of their group in the CL.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fair play to them but I'd bet they'll pull a Newcastle. They won't make it out of their group in the CL.
They’ll probably immediately be stronger than half the teams in there.

OldSchoolManc

Fantastic to see Villa qualify for the Champions League.

Why are Bayern not going for Emery?
Have Villa got fairly rich owners recently? There’s possibly more money and job security at Villa for Emery

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have Villa got fairly rich owners recently? There’s possibly more money and job security at Villa for Emery
This is a perfect job for Unai. He certainly didn't enjoy his experiences at Arsenal and PSG with the egos flying around there so a squad that wants to learn is ideal for his next 2-3 years.

He's only 52 so still will probably get another crack at a CL contender eventually.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Newcastle were actually pretty unlucky in the end. Toughest group by a long way and they took 4 points off PSG (should've been six but for that ridiculous penalty in 97th minute). The home and away defeats to Dortmund also need context now they've made the final six months later.

I actually dislike going into the new format simply due to how Football has changed in last decade, playing more games just to see fewer teams knocked out than in the current format.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Villa in the Champions League and Birmingham in League 1 is pretty rough on those blues.

Tap

Yes and the signs of progress are clear to see in terms of results, without needing to blow hundreds of millions and an endless list if excuses

Last edited:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Remember how abysmal they were when they got relegated not so long ago? To go from a few seasons in the championship to the Champions league in such a short space of time is incredible.