Where are Aston Villa going?…

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They seem to be spoken of largely in the context of doing well from a position of a potential relegation fight, but by all accounts, that appears to be no more than a comma in the overall story.

Due to the profile of Newcastle’s owners, the context there is largely around an inevitability of them going right to the very top. Villa seem to have gone somewhat unnoticed in that respect, but something is clearly happening there - beyond simply doing well to stay up. This isn’t a Brentford or Wolves. I have no idea who their owners are, but it’s clear that they are bad motherfeckers and are intent on making Villa a real force. They have spent some money, and are chasing after the likes of Vlahovic and Ferran Torres apparently. I think next season people will realise that their plan is much more than finishing 7th or 8th.

They have gotten in a proven top manager, and have nicked Barcelona’s sporting director too. Money appears to be there to spend, and they are playing very well. It looks like they are putting together a project to go after the top 4 to me.

Last edited:

justboy68

Probably just stay as a solid midtable/Europa challenging side for the foreseeable future. The competition is far too fierce to expect much beyond that.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think they'll plateau around 7 or 8th before Emery leaves for a bigger job.

I wouldn't be surprised if he found himself at a club like Spurs in the future.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They will make another top 6 challenge. The city and club are set up for them to be where they were around the Barry / O’Neil era.

I don't think Brentford will sustain their position and though Brighton could, history tells you it will blow up at some point. Leicester and Everton taking a nose dive has helped them too. Basically outside of the big clubs and Tottenham, it rotates who will be the club challenging for EL spots.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The thing is with clubs like Villa they can either be doing really well or getting relegated. Their previous relegation shows this and now Leicester are showing this too.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
They will make another top 6 challenge. The city and club are set up for them to be where they were around the Barry / O’Neil era.
Brum should have bigger really. The city itself is like 25th or something largest in Europe and the two clubs (Villa especially) draw fans from all around the West Mids.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Much rather have a serious go in the cups than stake everything on finishing 4th as we did under O'Neill and it all blew up as soon as he left.

Qualify for europa league and we can have a good run in that if we add another 3-4 decent players and don't lose anyone significant in next two seasons. If Emery can win the competition with Villareal he can do it with us. Frankfurt is also comparable club.

Back to front we look a serious team now. We've conceded about six goals in three months so that's terrific building blocks. What we need is more scoring options in final third as Bailey and Buendia are too inconsistent or simply not good enough to be serious players in any top 4 challenge so we simply don't score enough goals compared to likes of Brighton.

Got some decent youth proving themselves in championship so interested who secures a squad place next season or continues on loan at Boro if they get promoted.

SAFMUTD

Unfortunately for clubs like these, its almost impossible to reach the top places. City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and us. Those are 7 teams fighting for 4 places in UCL and 2 in EL. Plus there's also Brighton, Brentford and there's always a cinderella who's punching above his weight.

Aston Villa might challenge for europa league but they wont reach UCL, just as Brighton.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
They’ve done a really good job, Emery has done an amazing job. If they’re able to build on it I can see them sustaining a challenge for a Europa league place with a potential to make 4th if more teams like my own continue to feck about.

ForeverRed1

I think the owners are showing intent and theyll
Be a dark horse next season or over the next few. It’s down to if they can keep their best players and recruit well. They have all the ingredients to do well though and cause some upsets.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
As good a job as can be expected without having a wc player land for them through the academy or scouting.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They have spent big money and will continue to do so going by reports, also Villa is one more example in the ever-growing list of examples where right manager turns the entire club and all the talk about structure is just a reverse engineering based on results.

On the topic, can see them challenging for Europa places. Top 4 might be bit too much of a ask but top 6-7 should be achievable for them.

I like how Watkins plays as CF, works his socks off and a good player to lead the line.

Emery has done exceptional job.

KeanoMagicHat

Good team but quite a gap between CL level football and 7th/8th. Same applies to Brighton. Newcastle have done it but with Saudi money. Both Chelsea and Spurs have been shite this season, to get top 4, they'd have to finish ahead of those two teams again plus Liverpool, United, Newcastle, Arsenal. Big ask.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Good team but quite a gap between CL level football and 7th/8th. Same applies to Brighton. Newcastle have done it but with Saudi money. Both Chelsea and Spurs have been shite this season, to get top 4, they'd have to finish ahead of those two teams again plus Liverpool, United, Newcastle, Arsenal. Big ask.
Have Newcastle done it? Bruno and Isak are key players for sure but 90% of that squad is the same shite that battled relegation every year. It’s too early to say. Let’s see how much they improve their depth in the summer first.

KeanoMagicHat

Have Newcastle done it? Bruno and Isak are key players for sure but 90% of that squad is the same shite that battled relegation every year. It’s too early to say. Let’s see how much they improve their depth in the summer first.
They'll have an unlimited supply of money so every window they'll keep adding and adding without losing their players. If it was Newcastle of 5 years ago, then Isak, Bruno etc would be tapped up and bought by another club in the summer, but Saudi will just match the wages and then some of whatever that team offers, so they won't leave. That's the difference with Brighton or even Villa, who can't compete on that level financially.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I've always been surprised Villa weren't seen as a big vehicle to success from a loaded owner.

They come from one of the most populated cities in the UK with a huge local **** following, they are by definition a 'big' club in the UK, their infrastructure in terms of developing talent whilst not world class, is actually decent.

They have far more heritage than Newcastle too. Like the OP I've no idea who the owners are, or even their intentions but there's so much potential.

Emery is doing a great job this season.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If everyone plays to their potential (which is rare tbf) then the top 7 is wrapped every season. Then you'll have well run clubs like Brighton, Brentford and Villa making up 8th to 10th which doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, exactly.

The owners are more ambitious but I think they'll be stuck in the West Ham/Leicester zone where they are good enough to fight for 5th-7th, not quite good enough to fight for top four (although 5th will get a CL place from now on), and end up getting squeezed as they need to spend enough to have a squad big enough for Europe but without huge revenues and no guarantee year to year that they will actually make a European competition.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If I were a Tottenham fan I'd be fairly nervous not at the prospect of missing top 4 next season (that's a given), I'd be more worried at the gang of Villa, Brighton, Brentford overtaking.

Borninthe80ts

I actually see this as one of the more interesting aspects of football at the min, how the teams with history or from footballing cities so to speak can grow in the modern game.

For Villa I believe they have definitely have a good foundation to build on and potentially establish themselves as competitive with the traditional big boys and maybe even challenge for Europe regularly. They have a good manager, experienced players used to the league and a variety of attacking players that mainly lack consistency.

I think their biggest asset though is their academy. They have about 5 players 17 to 21 that can go on to being international quality. The problem though is that Villa normally sell them after a good season or two. Next season year will determine their next cycle I’m sure, especially if they get into Europe.

Fully Fledged

Brum should have bigger really. The city itself is like 25th or something largest in Europe and the two clubs (Villa especially) draw fans from all around the West Mids.
Only Villa really. The Baggies have a wider spread fan base than the Blue Noses. Villa on the other hand have fans from all over the West Midlands and Staffordshire.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Only Villa really. The Baggies have a wider spread fan base than the Blue Noses. Villa on the other hand have fans from all over the West Midlands and Staffordshire.
I knew plenty of Blues fans in Halesowen.

Fully Fledged

I knew plenty of Blues fans in Halesowen.
Yeah, I'd expect them around the southern end of the West Midlands.
Not many around Walsall or Wolverhampton. You get the odd one. I know plenty of Villa fans from both Walsall and Wolverhampton and as far a field as Cannock.

Borninthe80ts

I do think their one of the weird teams that have fans beyond their borders that you wouldn’t except. I’d say it’s maybe to do with the early success so to speak in the beginning of the premiership era and cup competitions. Feel like they were some fans second team until they started beating us recently. Definitely best supported team in the second largest city so potential is there.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wherever it is they are going they’re certainly heading there fast.