Where do we go from here?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
It's clear we're in such a dire and rather worrying position right now. Top 4 is certainly gone, no way are we going to get past Conte's spurs or an in-form Arsenal. Might not even make it into the Europe league so it's the bloody conference League for us! Might be better to finish 8th and completely restart and prepare for next season.

The players haven't taken on anything in terms of what RR wants. 4-2-2-2 is also not working for us, so in terms of salvaging the remainder of the season it's not looking promising, can anyone really see us getting past athletico?

I'm feeling very down about us right now and I just can't see where we go from here...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Where do we go from here? Hope the next 5 months go quickly so we can look forward to next season with hopefully a competent manager

Kaos

Where do we go from here? Hope the next 5 months go quickly so we can look forward to next season with hopefully a competent manager
Pretty much. Season's gone now.

Just hope they're buttering up Ten Hag for the summer, and we see a swarm of players being shown the doors while we bring in some actual United quality players.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Sack the manager. Then watch the players throw his successor under the bus again in a few months time.

Rinse and repeat.

SAFMUTD

Top 4 is not certainly gone, we still have every chance to get it. But the performances are dross, we are not improving at all its like we dont even have the new manager bounce. Rangnick philosophy is no where to be seen, the 4-2-2-2 makes us look even worst than the 4-2-3-1.

We look like a shit team which depended on individual brilliance to win, now we look like a poor team with no individual brilliance at all.

Its really hard to keep optimism at this point, Ronaldo will surely go in the summer and maybe thats for the best but we went from "this squad can compete for major titles" to "we need to change the whole squad". Something is rotten within the club, many managers and player have come and go but the results are the same.

::sonny::

Needs an hard reset

Important not be involved in any other competition

Pogba to Psg
Ronaldo to Mls
Cavani to Barça

Restart with the youngsters

soapythecat

His post match interview stated how the players didn’t press and didn’t do what they were told to do. He needs to drop them and make up a team of players that will. Lingard will press, pretty sure DVB will press. Even Rashford will press better that Ronaldo or Edi did today.
RR can change the formation and many of the starting 11 but he needs to be ruthless.
I refuse to think we can play worse than we did today but that CM needs changing and changing quick.

Paul_Scholes18

Win the CL is the only hope or the Fa cup. If we can drop the likes of Ronaldo and Bruno and play on the counter with a hard working midfield we can maybe grind out 1-0 wins.

Atletico are bad too then we hope Sporting can knock City out and Salzburg Bayern. Inter beats Liverpool and then we got a chance.

The Hacker

The collection of players needs addressing. These guys have no motivation. No hunger to win. We used to attract players who just wanted above all else to win. I don’t wanna say we just attract those who want a payday, but they certainly don’t come here desperate to win.
We have too many who just shouldn’t be there.

But that’s a huge job. A massive risk and another rebuild.

where do we go? Depends on who thinks the right destination is!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Toss the league, we have to avoid the Conference next season.

Go all out for the FA Cup. Our only chance of glory.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We are in trouble. Only game i didnt see was the Palace game and in all the rest we have been poor.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That doesn't work. We got rid of Ole and brought in Ralf and it appears that Ralf has abandoned his much talked about (high energy, pressing) style, in favour of Ole's pragmatic, defensive style.
The question should be asked, why we are not playing using Ralf's high energy/press.

TheGame

Change the system. We need to be more solid in midfield. It was always tough for RR to make massive changes so quickly but he needs to start finding a system that works asap as we are far too open at the moment.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Pick players who can deliver to Rangnick’s pressing style and do not play those who cannot, prioritise the development of younger players over trying to squeeze out the last dregs from experienced players, sell anyone that does not want to be here, buy a entirely new midfield with emphasis on technical players, make sure we don’t qualify for Europe at all, give ten Haag the job.

Ixion

We need a reboot. We have a talented team with a weak mentality, it's all fine when things are going well but when it's not you get the past few months.

We're not building anything by having Ronaldo and Cavani up front, we're not bringing through youth players, the squad is full of players that think they've made it just by being at United regardless of winning nothing. I am writing off top 4 and just hoping by the end of the season there is some genuine improvement in our play, some sort of glimmer of hope for next year.

SER19

We're half a decade at least from even getting close to top. Need to accept it and go root and branch upheaval. Id leave it to the Germans

redshaw

We hire a current top manager to counter the poor running of the club.

I'd argue we've not done so since Fergie left, Jose was the closest but also he was damaged, it was a gamble I can accept but really we specialize in hiring anything but a top current manager and have the audacity to even snub the latest one available.

Idxomer

Win the CL is the only hope or the Fa cup. If we can drop the likes of Ronaldo and Bruno and play on the counter with a hard working midfield we can maybe grind out 1-0 wins.

Atletico are bad too then we hope Sporting can knock City out and Salzburg Bayern. Inter beats Liverpool and then we got a chance.
Best post today :lol: :lol:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Who here would start Ronaldo, Sancho and Cavani (after 3 games in a week) and expect us to press?

We simply don't have the players for his style, so he needs to adapt.

cabbs1989

Top 4 is not gone, what a strange thing to say, spurs have been underwhelming, drew to ten man saints, needed a 96th min to beat Watford , arsenal look better but they’ve been pretty lucky with covid, decent fixture list, they played well against city but I thought it was more city were poor, they crumble against anyone good, Liverpool are losing mane & salah, Chelsea losing mendy and have the lukaku situation.

i think ralf will of learnt a lot from today, I mean no one is really in fantastic form accept City, we are just half way through the season, let’s see how things play out, in a month things could be much different, this squad is way to good not to challenge for At least the top 4, it will click eventually

VivaRonaldo85

Deploy a 4-3-3 with the most energetic players you can muster.

Dalot, Varane, Lindelof, Shaw

VDB, McTominay, Fred

Sancho, Bruno, Lingard

and hope they do some work for you…..

Zoo

I don’t know but Rangnick needs to make some big decisions. Whoever isn’t on board (as Luke Shaw alluded to) should be sidelined, it’s been going on all season. I also believe he should think again about not going into the transfer market in January.

AndySmith1990

I really hope we get Ten Hag, and then when we aren't battering teams in the first 10 games it'll be fun to watch people call him crap and demand he's replaced with Poch, or Zidane, or the next flavour of the month.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

Possession focused. Simple tactics like looking getting crosses into the 2 best strikers of the past 10 years.

Counter attacking against more talented teams.

Coops73

We need a reboot. We have a talented team with a weak mentality, it's all fine when things are going well but when it's not you get the past few months.

We're not building anything by having Ronaldo and Cavani up front, we're not bringing through youth players, the squad is full of players that think they've made it just by being at United regardless of winning nothing. I am writing off top 4 and just hoping by the end of the season there is some genuine improvement in our play, some sort of glimmer of hope for next year.
How many of these bloody things do we need? The only booting we need is the fecking owners out of this club. When will this get into peoples heads?

Abraxas

In the short-term RR is going to have to try something different. Maybe something more basic. We are simply not performing. I don't like to pin everything on a formation or setup because it's rarely the sole reason but if you cannot get any performances then you have to find solutions within the squad. Whether that's different personnel or a different structure to our play.

Long-term is simpler, we need to appoint the right manager with this supposedly detailed recruitment process. Everything relies on that, the importance is massive as the scale of the task is to pretty much take us from a misfiring bunch of overpaid, mid table performing wasters to title contenders. You can only do that with somebody remarkable and as much as people here won't like...at least a season of rebuilding.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What we need quite honestly is new owners. All we will get under these lot is more of the same.

Abusian

How many of these bloody things do we need? The only booting we need is the fecking owners out of this club. When will this get into peoples heads?
It’s not possible, but even if it were, how would changing ownership translate into a better on-field performance in the near future? These are two very different problems and we shouldn’t conflate them. If we wait until the ownership changes before demanding progress, we’ll be in these doldrums a long while yet.

siw2007

There’s not a lot we can do at the moment. We can try to make the most of the January transfer window to give us the best possible chance and hope as supporters that Ralf can get this team to improve and get the results needed to get a top 4 position. The only other move I could see Ralf making is to revert back to 4231, the familiarity of the formation might help improve performances in short term.

Unfortunately, I’m going to be pessimistic and predict that United will fall short of the top 4 this season which will trigger an exodus in the summer. The long term vision of the 1st team is important so getting in a manager that fits that vision is vital. I don’t know what that vision is yet but I’m willing to bet that the club will appoint Poch.

RedChisel

I was ridiculed for saying we are in a crisis the other day but we totally are. This is a dead team and no one is interested is getting better.

We get outplayed by every team we play and nothing is going to change any time soon. We are no longer one of the big boys and we need to make peace with that.

UpWithRivers

We need to stop this cycle of everyone is sht and start again. We need to start supporting the players and the manager through the rough times. There is no other way at this point in the season. We need to batten down the hatches. Go back to the everyone hates us but we dont care attitude. The seniors need to step up and put some arms around shoulders. Praise them. Encourage them. The players look like they have taken enough of a battering and bashing anyone anymore will do no good. Heads down, work hard and just keep going until we find some form.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I was ridiculed for saying we are in a crisis the other day but we totally are. This is a dead team and no one is interested is getting better.

We get outplayed by every team we play and nothing is going to change any time soon. We are no longer one of the big boys and we need to make peace with that.
I'm not making peace with being crap. No way.
We have some of the best players in the league with the biggest wage bill. We can and should be beating most of the teams we play.

SER19

We need 2 new midfielders, but even 1 in January might freshen the entire team up. Midfield is so crucial. Cant say I've seen them much but maybe zakaria coming in and that argentine striker might just bring some energy, intensity and freshness, combined with a couple of exits. A right back would be brilliant too. Even if Trippier on 18 month deal

That's step 1.

Try finish this season with a clear idea of who needs to go (should be clear already) then appoint a manager to match the squad we have

If i was to select a side based purely on intensity and making games tougher for opponents id probably go

De gea
Dalot
Lindelof
Varane
Shaw

New Mf
Fred
Fernandes

Sancho
Cavani
Greenwood

Giving the front 3 a bit more freedom