Where do we go from here?

The Irish Connection

The following need to be made squad players or sold with improvements brought in:
McTominay
Fred
Wan Bissaka
Rashford
Matic

I think we need a RB, at least 2 midfielders, a striker and possibly another winger.

Also, a top manager needs to be signed for the summer. Ten Haag or Pochettino.

Unfortunately, our owners won’t sanction the required spend and it’s unlikely we will sell well given our recent history.

The Purley King

Rangnick in his interview said players didn't follow instructions. Like the fourth time he's said it. I think the club need to give him the reigns to drop as many players as he wishes. This season is no longer about results. The culture within the team is rotten.
Bringing in Ten Hag with the current roaster is a waste of time.
He has mentioned it often I agree. If he is not doing anything about it (I can't see any evidence that he has) then that makes him look very weak. Don't piss and moan about something that you have the power to control.
If that means Ronaldo sits on the bench until he bucks up then so be it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He has mentioned it often I agree. If he is not doing anything about it (I can't see any evidence that he has) then that makes him look very weak. Don't piss and moan about something that you have the power to control.
If that means Ronaldo sits on the bench until he bucks up then so be it.
Easier said than done.

lex talionis

We’re handcuffed with players who consistently underperform and have no real transfer value. No club would come anywhere near Fred or McTominay, for example. Martial is decent when he’s up for it, but his wage agreement is such that we’d have to give him away on a free transfer at best.

There is no brilliant solution. Running down contracts with these players is probably the best we can hope for. That’s a 2-3 year process.

Polar

The following need to be made squad players or sold with improvements brought in:
McTominay
Fred
Wan Bissaka
Rashford
Matic
Of the players you mention, I’m happy if we sell Matic and either Fred or McT. Don’t mind if we sell Martial, DVB and Telles.

Cavani, Mata and Pogba and Lingard likely leave for free (hope we keep Lingard)

The Purley King

Easier said than done.
Its really not that hard.
If you, as the man in charge complain that players are not doing what you've asked them to do and then proceed to do nothing about it, then nobody will listen to what you say in the future.
If Ronaldo isn't happy about being on the bench he had better start fecking running a bit more.
It might gee some of the others up as well if they realise they'll be benched unless they start listening.

LoneStar

Don't expect us to get top 4. Accepting that makes it a bit easy.

All I can hope is that the players "get" whatever Ralf wants them to do, and get more effective at pressing and are more fit for next season.

Also that we have a major cull in the summer, guided by Ralf and the new manager and get rid of the Deadwood, and whoever is stinking up the dressing room.

Oh, also hoping that we take this time to find the right manager and are ready to back him well in the summer.

croadyman

Top 4 is not gone, what a strange thing to say, spurs have been underwhelming, drew to ten man saints, needed a 96th min to beat Watford , arsenal look better but they’ve been pretty lucky with covid, decent fixture list, they played well against city but I thought it was more city were poor, they crumble against anyone good, Liverpool are losing mane & salah, Chelsea losing mendy and have the lukaku situation.

i think ralf will of learnt a lot from today, I mean no one is really in fantastic form accept City, we are just half way through the season, let’s see how things play out, in a month things could be much different, this squad is way to good not to challenge for At least the top 4, it will click eventually
Squad way too good are we watching the same team every week?

croadyman

I don’t know but Rangnick needs to make some big decisions. Whoever isn’t on board (as Luke Shaw alluded to) should be sidelined, it’s been going on all season. I also believe he should think again about not going into the transfer market in January.
Yeah definitely needs to rethink about not signing players in this window

MUFC OK

I fear Pep and Klopp will stay where they are for the rest of this decade. As long as that's the case, they have one hand on the league and the domestic cups...

We are so far behind them that it could take two or three decades to be competitive again.

But to answer the question: A complete change in our transfer policy is much needed. Stop buying older players and buy the best young players in the world. Players that can develop and have their best years here.

Will we go there ? Obviously not. So, our best hope this season, is to try to win the champions league. Forget about the league and the cups. After the season is done, at least get rid of some of the older guys and promote the kids.
What reactionary sensationalist bullshit. Both have all but confirmed they will be done within 2 years. Grow up.

el3mel

The team will ultimately need a rebuild within 2 years from now. We fecked up the squad building those last 4 years thanks to Ole's business which his fans weirdly praise him for, and we won nothing for it as well.

Maguire and AWB are shit and ultimately will need to be replaced. Varane is injury prone and 28, with how his career has been going last few years I doubt his injury problems will get any better the older he grows up.

Midfield ? Scott and Fred are below average player, Matic is past it, Pogba is leaving and DVB is a parody signing who will never player. We need an entire new set of midfielders.

Attack ? We wasted 90m on Sancho who will never be the main player, will be lucky to even get 50% of what was expected from him. Rashford is ruined, Cavani and Ronaldo are + 36 years and there's a possibility both won't be here even next season. Martial is already on his way out.

That's the squad Ole left us with : a clusterfeck in all positions. Only Shaw, Bruno and Greenwood are players we can build our future upon, and Bruno will be 28 this year.

2 years from now we'll start another full rebuild.

croadyman

The team will ultimately need a rebuild within 2 years from now. We fecked up the squad building those last 4 years thanks to Ole's business which his fans weirdly praise him for, and we won nothing for it as well.

Maguire and AWB are shit and ultimately will need to be replaced. Varane is injury prone and 28, with how his career has been going last few years I doubt his injury problems will get any better the older he grows up.

Midfield ? Scott and Fred are below average player, Matic is past it, Pogba is leaving and DVB is a parody signing who will never player. We need an entire new set of midfielders.

Attack ? We wasted 90m on Sancho who will never be the main player, will be lucky to even get 50% of what was expected from him. Rashford is ruined, Cavani and Ronaldo are + 36 years and there's a possibility both won't be here even next season. Martial is already on his way out.

That's the squad Ole left us with : a clusterfeck in all positions. Only Shaw, Bruno and Greenwood are players we can build our future upon, and Bruno will be 28 this year.

Yeah the midfield rebuild needs to start NOW not wait until the bloody summer

Hedgehog72

We have spent big money, we have chopped and changed management, yet still we are not progressing. There is something very wrong at our club, where good players and good managers just seem to lose something with us, then get it back when they leave. Until that it sorted out, we are forever going to be in this loop. I think we have to go to the youth and show the senior players how to play (and even lose) with pride and heart. Wolves was a really low point, i thought we might build on beating Burnley, but no...we start a home game with 2 holding midfielders and let them dominate us. We are so inconsistent it is a joke.

Josh 76

Happy new year!

GMoore23

If we'd have gotten Conte we wouldn't have had to reset nothing. This team was built for counter attacking and Conte is the worlds best at that. Our squad was pretty damn suited to his formations also. Really is infuriating our board didn't go for one of the worlds 3 best managers.

5-3-2

De Gea
Lindelof - Varane - Maguire
Dalot - McTominay - Bruno - Shaw
Sancho
Greenwood - CR7

3-4-3

De Gea
Lindelof - Varane - Maguire
Dalot - McTominay - Bruno - Shaw
Greenwood - CR7 - Sancho

Last edited:

MartinRed

Win the CL is the only hope or the Fa cup. If we can drop the likes of Ronaldo and Bruno and play on the counter with a hard working midfield we can maybe grind out 1-0 wins.

Atletico are bad too then we hope Sporting can knock City out and Salzburg Bayern. Inter beats Liverpool and then we got a chance.
You made my day.

We keep getting progressively worst or stay consistently around 4th to 8th until the Glazers call it quits or we get bad enough that our value plummets and someone else can afford to buy us.

I don’t see how the Glazers could ever suddenly become good owners and turn this around. They don’t even have the money like Man City owners to make up for their lack of expertise. Therefor we will never ever compete under them.

People need to start accepting that we will never challenge for the league again until this board is replaced.

Last edited:

lex talionis

What reactionary sensationalist bullshit. Both have all but confirmed they will be done within 2 years. Grow up.
You seriously doubt that it will take two or three decades to catch up to City and Liverpool?

(Just having fun!)

stevoc

It's clear we're in such a dire and rather worrying position right now. Top 4 is certainly gone, no way are we going to get past Conte's spurs or an in-form Arsenal. Might not even make it into the Europe league so it's the bloody conference League for us! Might be better to finish 8th and completely restart and prepare for next season.

The players haven't taken on anything in terms of what RR wants. 4-2-2-2 is also not working for us, so in terms of salvaging the remainder of the season it's not looking promising, can anyone really see us getting past athletico?

I'm feeling very down about us right now and I just can't see where we go from here...
Yeah absolutely no way we can claw back a 4 point deficit with a game in hand. Such a gap has never been closed.

:lol: This fecking place.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Yeah absolutely no way we can claw back a 4 point deficit with a game in hand. Such a gap has never been closed.

:lol: This fecking place.
Have you seen us play this season?

Bestofthebest

At the moment I’m more worried about finishing in the bottom three than not making top four. In another week we also be out of FA cup and before Easter out of European Cup. Sad really.

stevoc

Have you seen us play this season?
:lol: Once or twice, mate.

Yeah we've been crap for the most part and yet we're still only 4 points behind 'in form' Arsenal with a game in hand. I'd expect us to pick up some sort of form at some point. If you think 4th place is gone at this stage then you are very pessimistic indeed.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What we need to do is exactly what other clubs are doing....
Hard work on the training ground.
Now. If that is being done already, then I have to say that it doesn't look like it.

There is no magic bullet.
If Rangnick doesn't think certain players are not doing what he wants, then he is going to have to start dropping them and picking players who are prepared to fight for their place and most importantly fight for the club.

Football is actually quite a simple game. Just coach them to do the basics right. Because we are not doing that.

Olecurls99

Hardish reset

Clear out
Pogba, Ronaldo, Cavani, Martial, Lingard, Jones, Bailly, Mata and Matic

Tell the other senior pros to either sink or swim

Bring through the youngsters like Hannibal, Diallo, Pellistri, Elanga, Tuanzebe.

At the very least we'll have saved about 100 million in wages. And I don't think we're getting our moneys worth as it is.

Shark

@NotShark
Nowhere. We are shit and have a board of clowns making infinitely shit decisions. We'll probably continue down this trajectory for another decade. It's the nature of football and eventually we might just strike gold like Liverpool did with Klopp. Right now though we're in limbo land.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Needs an hard reset

Important not be involved in any other competition

Pogba to Psg
Ronaldo to Mls
Cavani to Barça

Restart with the youngsters
Agreed. Whoever we bring in on transfer needs to not only be a good player, but a leader and someone who has been proven to be mentally tough. That was one of my complaints with bringing in Sancho, he never seemed tough enough mentally, never seemed like he had that never give in desire to be the best every single day. You look back to our title winning sides and the roster was filled with guys who could have been captain at any other squad in the EPL. There was a moment when we first brought in Bruno and Maguire that the team took a turn for the better mentally, coming back to win so many games after being down, but now even those two look dejected. Absolutely have to get some more dogs in here that want to fight.

crossy1686

career ending
We need to bomb about 4 players out of the club, we all know who they are, but more importantly we need about 4 young, hungry and hard working replacements. No more of this £80m+ bullshit on fat contracts that we can’t shift unless we pay them to leave.

And on that note, not a single person at the club deserves to be paid more than £200k a week, anyone on that or more takes a pay cut or finds a new club to pay them more.

MUFC OK

Hardish reset

Clear out
Pogba, Ronaldo, Cavani, Martial, Lingard, Jones, Bailly, Mata and Matic

Tell the other senior pros to either sink or swim

Bring through the youngsters like Hannibal, Diallo, Pellistri, Elanga, Tuanzebe.

At the very least we'll have saved about 100 million in wages. And I don't think we're getting our moneys worth as it is.
Sell: Everyone with ability

Keep: Phil Jones, Scotty McT

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
We need to stop this cycle of everyone is sht and start again. We need to start supporting the players and the manager through the rough times. There is no other way at this point in the season. We need to batten down the hatches. Go back to the everyone hates us but we dont care attitude. The seniors need to step up and put some arms around shoulders. Praise them. Encourage them. The players look like they have taken enough of a battering and bashing anyone anymore will do no good. Heads down, work hard and just keep going until we find some form.
Yep, at some point fans and players need to stop looking for a savior and get back to work and fight through the adversity.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
The collection of players needs addressing. These guys have no motivation. No hunger to win. We used to attract players who just wanted above all else to win. I don’t wanna say we just attract those who want a payday, but they certainly don’t come here desperate to win.
We have too many who just shouldn’t be there.

But that’s a huge job. A massive risk and another rebuild.

where do we go? Depends on who thinks the right destination is!
I don't think a complete overhaul is necessary. We have some good players with quality attitudes in that locker room, we've seen them perform and battle at high levels before, but, yes, they are currently struggling. We need a couple of quality players with good character to come in and be a positive influence in the locker room and I think some of our current roster will come back around.

MUFC OK

Look closer MUFC OK
Stopped reading when you said sell Ronaldo. Not sure what you think he's done wrong with the square root of zero service.

We also sorely miss Pogba.

Your rhetoric of "sell the stars, play the kids" is lazy.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
We're half a decade at least from even getting close to top. Need to accept it and go root and branch upheaval. Id leave it to the Germans
No you're not and no way you should accept something like that. You're just a couple of points from top 4, too. Keep calm, try to have a decent rest of the season, and get in a top manager in summer. The plan is clear, it's what is happening, and there's no need for perpetual doom-mongering while you're proceeding.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

This.Except we need to start the re build now.