Where do you rank Mason Greenwood as a talent?

Strelok

I wrote Luis Ronaldo and got criticized.
I wrote Welbeck and got criticized.
What is the correct answer then!!

On a serious note, I think He'll turn out to be a striker in the mold of van Persie. Maybe higher in the terms of talent compared to the young RvP.
How about somewhere in the middle :D

Yeah, he'd be there about I think. Some mix between RVP and RVN imo. RVP for the strike and elegance, RVN for the goal machine.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Greenwood can but doesn’t need to beat a man to score - either foot.
he is just gathering pace.
his potential is limitless because he does not rely on pace. He has skill and accuracy in abundance plus he can keep the ball in tight situations and knows when to pass...

he is up there
Nobody has limitless potential. He's not fecking Thanos.

He's very talented though.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
R9 could have been just as good as Messi if not for massive injuries and early physical decline.
Also, R9 was the best teenager the world has ever seen, people here are saying how crazy Rooney was at 18, well, R9 was even more jaw dropping than him or Mbappe or anyone else you can think of. Messi included.
I'm as excited about Greenwood as you all, but there's no comparison to what he is now and what R9 was at the same age, it's not even close. Should Greenwood be anything close to him, I'll be heavily surprised.
R9 is in the pantheon of all time greats, it's way, way too early for any comparison like that.
As a massive Ronaldo fan and someone who thinks he is the GOAT, simply not. Messi is something special. What he can do, no footballer has ever been able to do in my opinion. His dribbling is a natural gift beyond what any footballer I've seen can achieve.

I can't say I've followed R9 as a teenager but Messi was 18 and was just something else.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Owen in his breakout season scored a goal every 160 min in all competitions.

Greenwood has scored every 139 min in all comps.

In the 97/98 PL season Owen scored 23 goals as a teenager which is a record but he hit the net every 167 min.

This season Mason Greenwood has scored 9 goals in the PL but he has hit the net every 111 mins.

If Greenwood were to play the same amount of minutes, playing as he’s playing now he’d end up scoring 27 goals in the same amount of minutes that Owen did in 97/98.
What a talent Owen was as well.

Matt007a

There’s no doubt the work he’s done in the gym during lockdown has given him an extra edge. He’s faster and stronger than before and benefiting from that a lot.

What makes him exciting is that those attributes are secondary to his talent. His technical ability and decision making are what he really falls back on.

Let’s not compare him to R9, who is probably the best teenager the game has seen or Messi, the most technically gifted player ever. He won’t reach those levels and he doesn’t have to in order to be a world class player.

He should absolutely be a 30-40 goal a season striker once fully developed. His potential should have him sitting with players like Suarez and Lewandowski as world class strikers. If he reaches that level I’m sure we will all be delighted!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Dude take it easy :lol:

R9 was a multiple ballon d'or winner, Word cup winner and World cup record goal scorer as well as many things.

Let's see what he does first in the next 2-3 years before making such ridiculous claims.
I never rated Ronaldo all that much if I'm honest. Sure, he scored a fair number of goals, and he ran at a relatively high speed, but what did he actually do? Meh.

Greenwood is already on his level in terms of productivity, and he has a better hair-style to boot.

Greenwood ----> Ronaldo.

vidic blood & sand

He really does remind me of Ronaldo when he first arrived, the way he drifted in and out of games with flashes of brilliance. Only the stepovers are missing :D

Le Red

As a massive Ronaldo fan and someone who thinks he is the GOAT, simply not. Messi is something special. What he can do, no footballer has ever been able to do in my opinion. His dribbling is a natural gift beyond what any footballer I've seen can achieve.

I can't say I've followed R9 as a teenager but Messi was 18 and was just something else.
Ask any Brazilian, this is one of the rare instances where it's not national bias, it's just that we got to watch him before the world knew he was a thing (mostly in the NT).
Messi was exciting as a teenager, Ronaldo was like an avalanche, he was widely accepted as Brazil's best player in the WC98 at just 20, but when he was 18 he was already rivaling Romario for that spot (motherfreaking Romario).
Scored 8 goals in a World Cup after what seemed a career ending injury. Remember, this is a guy who had been seldom active for 2 years!
After 2002 the injuries and early hypothyroidism issues took their toll, his shape went downhill and he stopped being so dominant.
Maybe he wouldn't have been as good as Messi, but he would not be far at all, I believe that if he had longevity, he'd be somewhere between Messi and CR7, and I think these two are definitely close between themselves. That says something.

Tiber

Somewhere between Christopher Eagles and Cristiano Ronaldo.

gica_7

He really does remind me of Ronaldo when he first arrived, the way he drifted in and out of games with flashes of brilliance. Only the stepovers are missing :D
Ronaldo was much more immature to be honest. Mason is better than Ronaldo was at that age, especially at decision making. It doesn't mean he will be better But at this age he is.

KennyBurner

I think he is better than Haaland. He already has a better all round game. They both have similar finishing. Definitely the best teenager right now.

Greenwood
Haaland
Foden
In that order.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The thing that makes Messi great is his magical talent. The thing that make Ronaldo great is his ludicrously focused temperament. Which is not to say he is not magically talented or that Messi hasn't got a great temperament .

Mason Greenwood looks like, other than injury, he will be limited only if he turns out not to have a top player's temperament. Like Gazza, Ravel Morrison, and many many others. That question remains to be answered.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The thing that makes Messi great is his magical talent. The thing that make Ronaldo great is his ludicrously focused temperament. Which is not to say he is not magically talented or that Messi hasn't got a great temperament .

Mason Greenwood looks like, other than injury, he will be limited only if he turns out not to have a top player's temperament. Like Gazza, Ravel Morrison, and many many others. That question remains to be answered.
So you’re telling me Mason is Ronaldo and Messi rolled into one? :smirk:

Canagel

R9 was a multiple ballon d'or winner, Word cup winner and World cup record goal scorer as well as many things.

Let's see what he does first in the next 2-3 years before making such ridiculous claims.

The ignorance about R9 in this thread is baffling and hilarious at the same time :lol:
Recency bias at its best

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Sometimes with players having these breakthrough seasons they can often disappoint as teams scout them properly and they lose their impact but Greenwood feels different.

He has so many weapons and being so deadly off either foot will always leave defenders unsure of which way to show him.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
So you’re telling me Mason is Ronaldo and Messi rolled into one? :smirk:
That's exactly what I'm saying. Or is it Gazza and Ravel Morrison? Or Maradona, who managed to combine a really bad attitude with being the best player ever. Or Best, who was the best for a bit then blew up. Or boring old Pele. idk

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That's exactly what I'm saying. Or is it Gazza and Ravel Morrison? Or Maradona, who managed to combine a really bad attitude with being the best player ever. Or Best, who was the best for a bit then blew up. Or boring old Pele. idk
:drool:

iHicksy

Once he collects all the infinity stones he'll be unstoppable.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’m not sure about Messi / Ronaldo level but I do think he’s someone I’ll one day be boring my future kids about.

Strelok

I never rated Ronaldo all that much if I'm honest. Sure, he scored a fair number of goals, and he ran at a relatively high speed, but what did he actually do? Meh.

Greenwood is already on his level in terms of productivity, and he has a better hair-style to boot.

Greenwood ----> Ronaldo.
Wow, you must have not watched him I think.

He was the first alien, Messi the second. Tbh I don't know which one is better. I just can't find words to describe how good he was, especially when he was at Barca. But a R9 who lost much of his speed and agility due to serious injures in both his knees, a bit overweight, didn't train much, partied a lot yet managed to score three goals at OT. I still remember our own fans gave him a very big applause.

The ignorance about R9 in this thread is baffling and hilarious at the same time :lol:
It's just an age thing.

Anyone watching football in the 90s knows that he was the best.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
As a talent he is amazing, but you can’t compare the kid to CR7 or Messi yet give it 5 years at least see where he stands then, what I do know is it’s gonna be exciting, the kid looks to have it all on the ground at least ( haven’t seen much of his heading ability) to go to the very top.

Snuffkin

As long as we play him as a centre forward and not try to be too clever he'll be as good as any English player. If we mess him about and start playing him as a sub or as a a defensive winger he'll be dulled. Goals is all he needs especially if his lifestyle comes under the media spotlight. No one can argue with goals.

432JuanMata

Michael Owen be a good shout. I think people seeing the name Owen and remember him for being a good player but he was a phenomenon as a teenager before all the injuries

Red Stone

Michael Owen be a good shout. I think people seeing the name Owen and remember him for being a good player but he was a phenomenon as a teenager before all the injuries
This. People who weren't around then probably think that Owen's breakthrough came when he scored that goal against Argentina at the World Cup as an 18-year-old, but he had already finished a season where he had won the Premier League Golden Boot with 23 goals by then. Owen was one of the biggest talents ever in his teens, at least in terms of pure goalscoring. Rooney's allround package as a youngster put him ahead in terms of footballing talent in my eyes, and Owen's later career and the fact that he has the personality of a badly-programmed robot has made him a bit of a joke in recent years, but there's just no denying that Owen was one of the scariest teenagers ever to play the game.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He does not rely on strength or pace and is two footed, so he has no obvious limitations.
He obviously does though. Like he is out muscled by defenders on occasion and is laregely ineffective in the air. To say Rooney and Giggs were totally reliant on those attributes is just wrong.

passing-wind

I'm not sure where or how people resemble Greenwood with Ronaldo definitely not how they play. I think Greenwood is his own person, seems comfortable in most attacking positions as a forward, has similar movement to RVP but is ambidextrous. I even see something about Foden saying he's a better finisher than Aguero. For me he's on current form the best teenager in world football. I'd put Haaland ahead of him only on the premise of observing the whole season.

If we get Sancho Mason will inevitably push Martial / Rashford out the starting 11 he's more talented. Really does feel like the Rooney, Ronaldo & Tevez vibe.