Where do you rank Mason Greenwood as a talent?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No, I’m not.

I’ve been asked an opinion on Greenwod and for me, he’s the same as Rashford.

He’s clearly talented but the pedestals our players get put on are absolutely ridiculous.

The comparison with Rashford was made solely because Rashford was put on the same level of pedestal as Greenwood is on now at the same age. He hasn’t kicked on to any great level either.

The best players in these age groups are consistent starters for their club and country. Greenwood doesn’t even get in the England squad

Or, for the highlighted bit, he just isn’t as good as some people think he is
We will see. I think you couldn’t be more wrong and some hugely reputable people in the game would disagree. Rashford has always been overrated as feck so that’s the problem.

K Stand Knut

We will see. I think you couldn’t be more wrong and some hugely reputable people in the game would disagree. Rashford has always been overrated as feck so that’s the problem.
Hopefully I’m wrong. I wasn’t about Rashford so we’ll see.

Some highly reputable people in football don’t deserve to have an opinion so I’ll take their opinions with a pinch of salt.

spiriticon

He was the focal point of this team. Striker and midfielder all rolled into one. Good effort and performance.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Terrible game but looked the best player on the pitch. Always rated him as superior talent to rashford. His off form level is way higher and is much less of a possession losing risk. Interested to see how he develops under Ralf.

compared to other best young players think he’s been at a disadvantage under the recent setup, he’s definitely up there.

K Stand Knut

Terrible game but looked the best player on the pitch. Always rated him as superior talent to rashford. His off form level is way higher and is much less of a possession losing risk. Interested to see how he develops under Ralf.

compared to other best young players think he’s been at a disadvantage under the recent setup, he’s definitely up there.
very fair point.

Ralf Ragnick was asked about Greenwood in the post match in comparison to Halaand. It’s clear RR rates Greenwood’s technical and natural abilities very highly, but he said he needs to develop the athletic and physical side.. when speaking about Halaand he said Halaand was mostly about power and an athlete. Could be the perfect front 2, he described Halaand as a target man who could also play alone or with a partner, and described Greenwood as 9 1/2 who could also drift wide

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Damn, some people really can't give a player a good comment without putting another one down :houllier:

An absolutely disgusting fan base - Liverpool’s never walk alone mindset has always been better than ours.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
Damn, some people really can't give a player a good comment without putting another one down :houllier:

An absolutely disgusting fan base - Liverpool’s never walk alone mindset has always been better than ours.
Muppetry, people think that if our homegrown lads do well or receive praise of any kind it somehow correlate with us not "investing" in whichever player they have the hots for outside of the club, i.e if Mason plays well so we won't buy "spit" Alf-Inge Håland's "spit" son.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

This place is absolutely awful when it comes to homegrown talents(and also a lot of other stuff).

Jackal981

Ralf Ragnick was asked about Greenwood in the post match in comparison to Halaand. It’s clear RR rates Greenwood’s technical and natural abilities very highly, but he said he needs to develop the athletic and physical side.. when speaking about Halaand he said Halaand was mostly about power and an athlete. Could be the perfect front 2, he described Halaand as a target man who could also play alone or with a partner, and described Greenwood as 9 1/2 who could also drift wide
Would be a perfect pairing in RR system.

GueRed

The best young talent to come out of the academy in the last 10 years for me.
Exceptional talent. I always saw him as a dead cert..

Hopefully he has the mentality to make that next step.

Pronewbie

Peep
I share Rangnick’s sentiments on his strengths and weaknesses, except that I don’t think his first touch under pressure is consistently good enough to be considered world-class.

My concern is his application to improve on those weaknesses. There are many fans making him out to be the next Ronaldo (generational talent) but if he continues his developmental trajectory he’s more likely to develop into a Rashford-level player. I’d be delighted if he hits and maintains RVP’s levels.

Foxbatt

I share Rangnick’s sentiments on his strengths and weaknesses, except that I don’t think his first touch under pressure is consistently good enough to be considered world-class.

My concern is his application to improve on those weaknesses. There are many fans making him out to be the next Ronaldo (generational talent) but if he continues his developmental trajectory he’s more likely to develop into a Rashford-level player. I’d be delighted if he hits and maintains RVP’s levels.
No one doubts his talent. As RR points out he needs to develop his game a lot more to be an elite player. Under RR hopefully he will do so. In a poor team he was the best yesterday. As a striker he needs to attempt those kinds of goals. His heading needs to improve a lot.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This place is absolutely awful when it comes to homegrown talents(and also a lot of other stuff).
Yep.

The fact that someone is an academy product (especially if they're also unlucky enough to be British or Irish) seems to be a sort of red flag for some people. It's quite bizarre: we have alleged "fans" who seem to take an active dislike to aspects of the club that are very much part of its identity.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Hes a step behind the top toer of talents at the moment, but hes got the tools in his locker to catch up. The technique and decision making is all there, but he needs to be able to start bullying defenders or completely stripping them for pace. Hes neither a powerhouse (Haaland) or a flyer (Mbappe) at the moment, so will have to work extra hard at other parts of his game to catch up.

Ibi Dreams

He's been our best player at times since he broke through, as a teenager, without decent coaching. If he'd been playing for Dortmund or something I don't see why he wouldn't have been putting up Sancho numbers. With a good coach and system he could be a special player, if he applies himself. Right now he's a big talent that is already contributing in an important way, but you get the sense that there could still be much more to come

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Great natural finisher, with his overall game keep improving.

Overhyped abit (getting compared with Haaland) after scoring 17 goals in his debut season.

Last season he scored 12 in 52 (0.23 goals per game), this season he scored 5 in 16 (0.32 goals per game), so he is improving.

And he is great young talent, could be next RVP.

Abit selfish at times, and didn’t press enough, but capable of scoring some great cut in goals.

Last edited:

ThinkTank@Cafe

His potential is the player who combines the best of Van Perise and Henry. He would be considered the hottest prospect in the world in 2000s. In 2020s, he needs to improve physical aspect to be in discussion. Not a big issue for Mason, I believe. He can do that.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Best player in the club, probably the ONLY player I wouldn't sell no matter the offer.
I hope he stays injury free as he's already a fantastic footballer. Now we need to find him a role which he'll play week-in-week-out, I hope we avoid turning him into another sometimes striker/sometimes winger sort of thing we tried to do with Rashford.

tomaldinho1

Best player in the club, probably the ONLY player I wouldn't sell no matter the offer.
I hope he stays injury free as he's already a fantastic footballer. Now we need to find him a role which he'll play week-in-week-out, I hope we avoid turning him into another sometimes striker/sometimes winger sort of thing we tried to do with Rashford.
Yh I feel a bit for Rashford, he was so electric when he came through but looks sluggish recently. In the RR system I see him as needing to adapt his game to be more like Mane (not at Pool but Salzburg) so we have:

Ronaldo/Greenwood
Rashford/Sancho (Bruno definitely starts over him as it stands)
Fred/McT or VdB (sounds like Haidara is coming though)

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I would love to see a front line of Rashford, Haaland, Greenwood and Sancho. I don't think it would happen as you would need two really special midfielders, but it would be fun. Probably lose every game 5-4

Denis79

I know I look at him through red-tinted glasses but I think he's going to become one of our all-time greats.

jeff_goldblum

Rangnick's assessment of him is broadly accurate, technically he's astounding but needs to develop physically in the next couple of years if he's going to fulfil his full potential as a striker. If he had a bit more of a physical presence and was stronger in the air he'd be a 20-30 goal a season player already.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

The big question with Greenwood is not the talent, but if he is mature enough to make the most of it. The clubs carefullness of not exposing him too much in media combined with the dialogue with the FA and his family around not rushing the National team suggests he needs special treatment. It´s not so usual compared to other young stars. Its like they try to make sure he doesnt become a Balotelli or Ravel Morrison. The talent is there - he was a level above the others on the pitch yesterday. It was har to understand he was one of the youngsters. Our best since Rooney (or Cristiano, but that's another planet yet).

siw2007

The best young player we have produced in a long time and certainly one of the best strikers in the world of his age profile. Right now he is behind Haaland and Mbappe, which is understandable because they were physically ready from a very young age. That is the key to where Greenwood needs to go in order to be named in their bracket, he needs to physically develop and become that athletic specimen in the same way Ronaldo did for us.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I would trust him around the box to have a crack at goal as much as I do Ronaldo. The season he hit 20 it was actually a shock when he didnt get a shot on target than not. Playing him on the wing these past few years has hopefully developed him better than just sticking him up top from the word go.

The most exciting academy product we have had this turn of the century, for certain.

Lentwood

No, I’m not.

I’ve been asked an opinion on Greenwod and for me, he’s the same as Rashford.

He’s clearly talented but the pedestals our players get put on are absolutely ridiculous.

The comparison with Rashford was made solely because Rashford was put on the same level of pedestal as Greenwood is on now at the same age. He hasn’t kicked on to any great level either.

The best players in these age groups are consistent starters for their club and country. Greenwood doesn’t even get in the England squad

Or, for the highlighted bit, he just isn’t as good as some people think he is
Greenwood is already miles better than Rashford will ever be in my opinion.

It seems Southgate and Rangnick think his only issue is his lack of physical strength/fitness. I think by the age of 22/23 he will be one of the first names on the teamsheet for club and country

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Andy Mitten said today on a podcast that Bryan Robson thinks that he’s the biggest talent to come through since Ryan Giggs.

Dominos

His major problem right now is his one dimension play and greed, our players annoying habits have been indulged for too long under Ole's instruction of "just go out there and enjoy yourself lads".

I've no problem with a player taking a shot but he's a bit too shoot-on-sight every time he receives the ball. He needs to pass more and take the option to go down the outside and use his right foot more regularly, considering he's very two-footed he chooses to cut inside on his left too often.

wolvored

Hes probably the best since Morrison to come out of the academy/youth. I hope he can kick on and match the level of Haaland/Mbappe, who he is a step behind at the moment. He hasnt been coached over the last few years, so I am hoping between now and end of season, you will see him get better nd better.

Abraxas

I think what RR said is simply common sense and what many fans have realised already. His work off the ball and out of possession has been quite poor relative to his ability on the ball. Everything good that he does is some kind of nice dribble, clever finish or sometimes a nice pass.

Which is obviously a good starting point as those things are very hard to coach but if we're to turn him into a world class player or even a top player it's about rounding out his game. Martial is a case in point, at a young age he had a lot of ability on the ball but the mental side, the movement, the work within a team structure never really progressed beyond that of a teenage Martial.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
He will be someone in between Rooney and Van Persie closer to the later.

Vanrouge

Except that's a myth. Roy Hodgson walked alone. Paul Konchesky walked alone. Loris Karius walked alone. It's like the "most knowledgable fans" label, or the most humorous. All untrue. All created by Liverpool fans themselves to cover for their own inadequacies.

I agree with you that it's ludicrous to put our own players down in order to praise others, though.

Lee565

I think he can be as good as ole was and will maybe be a great rotational player, I'm not sure he is in the calibre of a real wonderkid like mbappe, haaland, owen, rooney etc..

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Extremely talented and a natural ball striker.
But he has a long way to go to fulfill his undoubted potential.
I certainly believe that what Rangnick intends to do to improve his physicality will increase the likelihood of him becoming a true top striker.

Snuffkin

Without headed goals he'll never rack up the stats. I don't think you can learn that. Still a phenomenal talent though and will be part of the club's future no doubt.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If he can get the physicality of drogba he'd be lethal.

Get him into the gym.