Where do you rank Mason Greenwood as a talent?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He needs to add more physicality and explosiveness to his game, but aside from that he is on the verge of a major breakthrough. He can be the point of reference for the club for the next 7-10 years. He’s that good. He just need to improve that athletic element. He’s already grown into his physique a lot, he just needs that extra 10% to be able to really bully defenders. His two footedness is a priceless quality.

A lot of people bashing Rashford, who has had persistent chronic injury issues the last two seasons. But he remains a top talent that now has all the pieces to be one of the top ten forwards in the league. He just needs to piece it together through a consistent run. Hopefully the coaching set up can drill that previously present work ethic and pressing he used to have and improve his general decision making. Rashford has gone from being a little overrated by some to being criminally underrated by most.

In Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood, we have a forward trio that the team should be built around.

foolsgold

To use a Liverpool analogy, for me Greenwood has the potential to hit Salah type levels, Rashford is a more a Mane level player.

Both great talents that we should be delighted to have brought through the youth system, it's probably saved us in excess of 100m.

Without headed goals he'll never rack up the stats
Salah: 7 headed goals in career to date. Mbappe: 8. Messi: 24 in 17 seasons.

Not to say he doesn't need to improve in the air, obviously, just that it's possible to be a goal machine even without it. And looking at the records of some other strikers to see how many headers they scored when they were young suggests you can definitely learn it:

Benzema - 54 career headed goals, 4 at the age of 22
Rooney - 30 career headed goals, 2 at 22
Suarez - 43 career headed goals, 4 at 22

*sourced from Transfermarkt, with the caveat there are a fair few unreported goals for the latter three that may include headers, but probably not a huge chunk - the Rooney one is definitely accurate as I remember he scored his first header for us in his 3rd season (against Arsenal, from about 2 yards out)

Eli Zee

If he continues as he does, slowly improving each year, he'll be like a Salah level.

I think with the right mindset and work ethic, he can be an amazing forward, but right now I see him as just a great option for a top 4 side to have, with the potential to be a world beater in 3+ years

SAFMUTD

Seems Rangnick is not impressed by him, thats nice to see. I was tired of Ole praising every player, of course maybe in was different behind doors but I think the type of comments like "he needs to build his athleticism to be a regular player" is a nice indication that Rangnick wants Greenwood to work harder to make himself an starter.

I think new coaching is going to do wonders for him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Without headed goals he'll never rack up the stats. I don't think you can learn that. Still a phenomenal talent though and will be part of the club's future no doubt.
Course you can learn how to head it. It's as much about anticipation and positioning, both of which come with experience, as it is about being able to direct a header.

AltiUn

No, I’m not.

I’ve been asked an opinion on Greenwod and for me, he’s the same as Rashford.

He’s clearly talented but the pedestals our players get put on are absolutely ridiculous.

The comparison with Rashford was made solely because Rashford was put on the same level of pedestal as Greenwood is on now at the same age. He hasn’t kicked on to any great level either.

The best players in these age groups are consistent starters for their club and country. Greenwood doesn’t even get in the England squad

Or, for the highlighted bit, he just isn’t as good as some people think he is
He did get in the England squad, then messed it up with off the field actions. Since then Southgate and Solskjaer both agreed to ease him in, same as with Bellingham. It's not like he's not there because he's not good. He was a last minute injury away from making the Euros squad.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...son-greenwood-out-of-england-squad-until-2022

EtH

Best there is. Best there was. Best there ever will be.

lee82gx

it’s such a big chasm to cross, talent to class. Sometimes the bigger the talent the more we expect.
I’d be happy if he ends up like Rashford but do we get a world class player every so often?
But talent wise yes, one of the top I’ve seen.

norm87cro

With Becks and Rashford. Slightly beneath scholes and giggs. Generally a very talented lad and a testament to the academy of this club

Betson

Seems Rangnick is not impressed by him, thats nice to see. I was tired of Ole praising every player, of course maybe in was different behind doors but I think the type of comments like "he needs to build his athleticism to be a regular player" is a nice indication that Rangnick wants Greenwood to work harder to make himself an starter.

I would not say he not impressed , he said he was very impressed by his technical ability.

But did say he needs develop more physically and maybe mentally to become a regular Utd starter , and he said it something he hopes to help Greenwood with and turn him into the finished player.

But I agree with your point in that Rangnicks approach of been brutally honest about players and some of their short comings could yield more gains than constantly blowing smoke up their backsides about how good they are.

Hoof the ball

There's an interview in which Rangnick is talking about Mane and Salah, and he intimates that they haven't always been hard-working, relentless pressers of the ball. The point he is trying to make is that two talented players later added an intense physical approach to their game, with and without the ball, when Klopp demanded them to become that.

My belief, when talking about improving Mason's physicality, is that he's referring to the same type of improvement. More stamina, more harrassing, more activity off the ball, harder and longer pressing, and yes, more intense bouts of sprinting.

Daengophile

Greenwood is blessed with a natural athleticism, an amazing footballing ability and bags of self confidence.

The scary thing is that he will only improve

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In terms of finishing and technique he is up there with the best among new generations. In terms of maturity and physicality, he is still some distance behind the elites and need to improve. I think those two can be trained and improved by effort/experience.

SAFMUTD

I would not say he not impressed , he said he was very impressed by his technical ability.

But did say he needs develop more physically and maybe mentally to become a regular Utd starter , and he said it something he hopes to help Greenwood with and turn him into the finished player.

But I agree with your point in that Rangnicks approach of been brutally honest about players and some of their short comings could yield more gains than constantly blowing smoke up their backsides about how good they are.
Exactly, I think players appreciate honesty. Specially ambitious players, cheerleader managers work better when dealing with made players, but to be constantly praising a youngster who is hasn't finished his development can stagnate him.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Great talent but there’s been plenty of those, Rashford was one. There comes a time to go to the next level so we’ll see.
Rashford’s was very different to Masons, though. He needed to develop technical aspects.

There's an interview in which Rangnick is talking about Mane and Salah, and he intimates that they haven't always been hard-working, relentless pressers of the ball. The point he is trying to make is that two talented players later added an intense physical approach to their game, with and without the ball, when Klopp demanded them to become that.

My belief, when talking about improving Mason's physicality, is that he's referring to the same type of improvement. More stamina, more harrassing, more activity off the ball, harder and longer pressing, and yes, more intense bouts of sprinting.
Me too, pretty sure he mean that. Maybe Mason does need to get better in the air but it’s probably not that important. Henry barely ever scored headers. Ralph said he’s a 9 and a half and a totally different profile to Haaland. I think he want his physicality to come from movement/intensity.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Without headed goals he'll never rack up the stats. I don't think you can learn that. Still a phenomenal talent though and will be part of the club's future no doubt.
There are so many players who scored lot of goals without scoring many from headers.

Mylock

He needs to add more physicality and explosiveness to his game, but aside from that he is on the verge of a major breakthrough. He can be the point of reference for the club for the next 7-10 years. He’s that good. He just need to improve that athletic element. He’s already grown into his physique a lot, he just needs that extra 10% to be able to really bully defenders. His two footedness is a priceless quality.

A lot of people bashing Rashford, who has had persistent chronic injury issues the last two seasons. But he remains a top talent that now has all the pieces to be one of the top ten forwards in the league. He just needs to piece it together through a consistent run. Hopefully, the coaching set-up can drill that previously present work ethic and pressing he used to have and improve his general decision making. Rashford has gone from being a little overrated by some to being criminally underrated by most.

In Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood, we have a forward trio that the team should be built around.
Great post; I believe the manager will turn Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood into world-class players if they buy into his methods. Rashford will be backfiring shortly. Mark my word.

K Stand Knut

He did get in the England squad, then messed it up with off the field actions. Since then Southgate and Solskjaer both agreed to ease him in, same as with Bellingham. It's not like he's not there because he's not good. He was a last minute injury away from making the Euros squad.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...son-greenwood-out-of-england-squad-until-2022
Aaaahh, yeah. Sorry. He made one England squad and hasn’t been asked back whereas Bellingham has been in the majority of squads over the same time period.

Great point!

OL29

Aaaahh, yeah. Sorry. He made one England squad and hasn’t been asked back whereas Bellingham has been in the majority of squads over the same time period.

Great point!
Southgate said Mason, his family and the club thought it was best for him to focus on club football, otherwise he would’ve been in the squad earlier this season…

AltiUn

Great point!
I mean, I added context but be sarcastic if it makes you feel better about your argument. Saying Rashford and Greenwood are the same might genuinely be the laziest RedCafe comparison going. Southgate even says here why Bellingham and Greenwood weren't included in the qualifiers:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...jude-bellingham-mason-greenwood-b1929950.html

It’s not a case that we don’t think the players deserve to be in the squad. We’d be picking them if we didn’t have those longer term aims and ambitions in mind, I think.
Keep your snark to yourself, no one can be arsed with it.

K Stand Knut

I mean, I added context but be sarcastic if it makes you feel better about your argument. Saying Rashford and Greenwood are the same might genuinely be the laziest RedCafe comparison going. Southgate even says here why Bellingham and Greenwood weren't included in the qualifiers:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...jude-bellingham-mason-greenwood-b1929950.html

Keep your snark to yourself, no one can be arsed with it.
I don’t mean to be pedantic but my point of Bellingham remains valid. He has been in the majority of squads since the time Greenwood hasn’t been added to another squad.

K Stand Knut

Southgate said Mason, his family and the club thought it was best for him to focus on club football, otherwise he would’ve been in the squad earlier this season…
Ok. So we agree he hasn’t been in the England squad. I’m glad we cleared that up.

Like I’ve already said, we’ll have to wait and see what happens with Greenwood. I don’t rate him as highly as some people seem to rate him. Just like I didn’t rate Rashford like the majority of others did.

Clearly talented but so was/is Rashford and I think we all probably agree he hasn’t kicked on like we al hoped he would. It is possible that Greenwood might end up being the same.

Time will tell. It’s not a big deal. I hope I’m wrong.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he can be as good as ole was and will maybe be a great rotational player, I'm not sure he is in the calibre of a real wonderkid like mbappe, haaland, owen, rooney etc..
That would be a huge disappointment. Greenwood has far more ability

Dazzmondo

One of the best young talents in world football. Probably only firmly behind Haaland and Mbappe. I'd place him on the same level as the likes of Musiala and Pedri. Ralf's comments on improving his physical game makes it sound like he wants him to improve his pressing and stamina (which I totally agree with, this side of his game is poor). I'm assuming this because he's already extremely fast. He might also be referring to him buffing up and getting stronger which I don't necessarily agree with as much, I feel like in the position Greenwood plays, speed is more important, especially since Rangnick says he sees him as more of a 9 and a half. Due to his height he's never going to be much of an aerial threat, no matter how much he works on it. He should go on to be a top player. Hope he gets more game time up front.

superdry

touched by a genius
Fantastic talent, just waiting for him to crack on and start dominating his area of the pitch.

WelshManc

For me, he's the best since the Class of '92. No one comes close to him.

In a Class of his own.

lloyd2wayne

What??? He’s very much impressed. He brought up his good work and the assist he should have had in the Young Boys game and even mentioned his influence in the Crystal Palace win. Praised his top class technically ability etc.

The only reason he brought up Physically was because he was asked to compare Greenwood and Haaland. And he’s right , it’s been said on here numerous times about him bulking up which he’s getting there.

wolvored

Its hard to say. The skys the limit if he buckles down to the hard work in training and has the right attitude. Martial, Rashford looked the bollocks in the beginning. Now look at them.

SAFMUTD

What??? He’s very much impressed. He brought up his good work and the assist he should have had in the Young Boys game and even mentioned his influence in the Crystal Palace win. Praised his top class technically ability etc.

The only reason he brought up Physically was because he was asked to compare Greenwood and Haaland. And he’s right , it’s been said on here numerous times about him bulking up which he’s getting there.
Didnt meant it as if he didnt rate Greenwood, all Im saying is it was nice to see Rangnick giving some positive criticism to Greenwood. He mentioned he need more phyisicallity and mental strength which is nice to see. This leads me to believe that Rangnick will work on Greenwood and will demand him to improve in those areas, which is good for a change with Ole who claimed all our players were fantastic, etc.

Like I said in a post before, I think that kind of "praising approach" by managers is good for "made" players, such as Cristiano, Cavani, etc it would be silly for a manager to claim they must develop certain area, but for youngsters I love the "hard truth" approach by Rangnick force them to develop the better version of themselves rather than praise them for their current abilities.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I personally think everything came a bit too easy for him at youth level, and the step up was difficult. However, I think he has the ability to become a legend at this club. With the right manager and coaches and if he knuckles down. My only worry is he might not have the drive.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Greenwood is blessed with a natural athleticism, an amazing footballing ability and bags of self confidence.

The scary thing is that he will only improve
Why is that scary? Seriously. Does my nut in when people say things like “ it’s scary how good he could be” etc etc.
I have high hopes for Mason. But the thought of him bagging 40 a season certainly doesn’t scare me. Not. One. Bit.