Where have all the red cards gone?

Le Red

I have not watched every one of our games in the PL, but everytime I did, I was left with the conviction that someone in the opposition should have been sent off, but didn't.
I was already under the impression that referees were deliberately avoiding showing red cards in our favour, but today, after Mike Dean only showed a yellow card to Ben Mee for his horror tackle against Dan James, a move that could easily snap his leg in two, I'm fully convinced that is the case.
Do you agree referees are reluctant to send off players against us, more so than in other seasons?
If yes, what are the reasons and what has to be done to turn it around?

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m convinced the lesser teams get away with so many more fouls due to being the underdog. Been this way for years.

Paul_Scholes18

VAR is doing nothing about the crazy tackles. Fabinho should have been off as an example for Pool against us. It is like they just trust the ref and moves on with it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I’m convinced the lesser teams get away with so many more fouls due to being the underdog. Been this way for years.
Pretty much.

If Barnes or Wood had knocked into Lindelof the way Martial did to Tarkowski for his disallowed goal, there's no way theirs would have been ruled out. It would have just been deemed as them being stronger. But for some reason Martial isn't allowed to be stronger than one of Burnley's cloggers.

lysglimt

Scout
I have not watched every one of our games in the PL, but everytime I did, I was left with the conviction that someone in the opposition should have been sent off, but didn't.
I was already under the impression that referees were deliberately avoid showing red cards in our favour, but today, after Mike Dean only showed a yellow card to Ben Mee for his horror tackle against Dan James, a move that could easily snap his leg in two, I'm fully convinced that it's the case.
Do you agree referees are reluctant to send off players against us, more so that in other seasons?
Ben Mee's tackle was ugly - but it wasn't a red-card one.

A-man

I don’t understand why VAR isn’t used more for horror tackles. If there is something that should be punished it is this kind of cowardness that put players in to long injury periods. Instead they waste minutes of checking inches of an offside or if the goalie left the line to early when City have a penalty.

Or maybe VAR is used for everyugly tackle but these tackles are now ok again?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Pretty much.

If Barnes or Wood had knocked into Lindelof the way Martial did to Tarkowski for his disallowed goal, there's no way theirs would have been ruled out. It would have just been deemed as them being stronger. But for some reason Martial isn't allowed to be stronger than one of Burnley's cloggers.
Spot on.

Le Red

Ben Mee's tackle was ugly - but it wasn't a red-card one.
You are entitled to this opinion but I think you're in the minority here. Maybe watch it again.
I remember when Eduardo da Silva broke his leg in a challenge that didn't seem as harsh as what Mee did at first look. There were talks about how PL referees should protect the players and be more rigorous with that kind of challenge etc. It's clear now that it was just bullshit per usual.
British refs (and fans it seems) don't like cards. They think it "ruins the spectacle". Even yellows are only rarely handed when they should, and with 10 minutes left they give a handful of yellow cards for any random reason.
British refs are the worst in the world, by far. Which heavily contrasts with the Premier League being the best, or once of the best.

Le Red

Pretty much.

Yes, I agree. I'm also under the impression British refs think it's okay for "hard veterans" to give young and skilled players "a lesson".
Since we have many young and fast players, we suffer specially from that mentality.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Mike Dean is the one in convinced is bent. Every time he referees our games there's a string of inexplicable decisions. Yesterday no exception, and it's not just limited to our games either. He just seems to pre-decide what decisions he's going to give before the game.

Clattenberg was similar and then he admitted in an interview that he'd deliberately not give decisions in order to aid the "theatre of the game" or something like that. He literally admitted that he did this. So we know for a fact referees are openly allowed to be crookid.

I can't say I've noticed anything specifically against us on the whole. We've had some bizarre things go for and against us. Plus we get about 4 penalties a game.

Only one that's really annoyed me other than yesterday was Deli Ali rolling the ball down his arm to score and VAR just deliberately ignoring it.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Mee's tackle was 100% a red. He could break someones leg with ease with that kind of nasty challenge. A referee is supposed to protect the players, while also making sure the game flows well. Mike Dean didn't do any of that last night. Not easy being a ref, but few other jobs allow its employees to be incompentent.

lysglimt

Scout
You are entitled to this opinion but I think you're in the minority here. Maybe watch it again.
I remember when Eduardo da Silva broke his leg in a challenge that didn't seem as harsh as what Mee did at first look. There were talks about how PL referees should protect the players and be more rigorous with that kind of challenge etc. It's clear now that it was just bullshit per usual.
British refs (and fans it seems) don't like cards. They think it "ruins the spectacle". Even yellows are only rarely handed when they should, and with 10 minutes left they give a handful of yellow cards for any random reason.
British refs are the worst in the world, by far. Which heavily contrasts with the Premier League being the best, or once of the best.
I have seen it over and over again, and no, that is no red card to me. James comes at max speed. Mee lifts his leg, misses the ball and hits with his studs straight at James' leg.

It's not international - he is clearly going for the ball, but James is too quick. He doesn't go with excessive force in, and since James' foot is in the air, there is no immediate risk of him getting hurt. Is it a nasty tackle ? Yes - is it orange ? Yes - but to me it would be harsh to give a straight red for that one.

Lynty

I honestly can't remember this foul. Watched the game, but don't recall seeing anything worthy of a straight red.

But i agree, red cards seem rare this season. I'm still fuming that Cahill didn't receive a second yellow for pulling Martial down when he was through on goal.

Hughie77

I was already under the impression that referees were deliberately avoiding showing red cards in our favour, but today, after Mike Dean only showed a yellow card to Ben Mee for his horror tackle against Dan James, a move that could easily snap his leg in two, I'm fully convinced that is the case.
Do you agree referees are reluctant to send off players against us, more so than in other seasons?
I thought the same it was a red, horror tackle, and stopped attack, I think the refs are afraid to give reds in case it's overturned by VAR, and they look like the nobs they are. Also B.Williams yellow for simulation joke.

billybee99

I have seen it over and over again, and no, that is no red card to me. James comes at max speed. Mee lifts his leg, misses the ball and hits with his studs straight at James' leg.

It's not international - he is clearly going for the ball, but James is too quick. He doesn't go with excessive force in, and since James' foot is in the air, there is no immediate risk of him getting hurt. Is it a nasty tackle ? Yes - is it orange ? Yes - but to me it would be harsh to give a straight red for that one.
Then I think you need to watch it some more because it is a red card all day long.

El Zoido

It’s not just that they’re underdogs, but also if they have a reputation of being a physical side, it’s almost as if the refs let them get away with it more. “They’re a physical side so it’s ok”. If we’d approached a game like Burnley did we’d have finished it with 8 players. I guarantee that if Pogba has done the same tackle that Ben Mee did he’d have walked for it.

It’s the same with individuals too. Rooney used to get away with all sorts of challenges that would have see any other player sent off. But he was “passionate” so refs went easy on him. This is part of the game management they’re supposed to employ, but in practise it just comes across as annoying and inconsistent.