Other Which album/book/film disappointed you the most?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I was listening to a podcast earlier where the two hosts agreed that the Guns' N' Roses album The Spaghetti Incident? was the first album to disappoint them as kids.

So which albums, books, films etc. were your first or biggest disappointments? Not the worst, just the biggest let-downs relative to how hyped you were about them in advance.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
In Through the Out Door - Led Zeppelin. My favorite group put out the album during a time when the group was making a serious comeback. Comparing it to rock albums that year it’s great, one of the best ones. Comparing it to any other Led Zeppelin album, it lags way behind.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
In Through the Out Door - Led Zeppelin. My favorite group put out the album during a time when the group was making a serious comeback. Comparing it to rock albums that year it’s great, one of the best ones. Comparing it to any other Led Zeppelin album, it lags way behind.
In the evening is an absolute banger but yeah it’s easily their worst album.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The recent Matrix movie was such a big disappointment. Especially as I watched the original days before.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Dune. Made as a
The recent Matrix movie was such a big disappointment. Especially as I watched the original days before.
This could be the winning answer. One of the most anticipated movies of all time being one of the worst of all time.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Metallica's Lulu is too obvious, so I'll go with Machine Head - Supercharger album.

Back in a day Stallone's Judge Dredd, hated it more than Alien III or Alien Covenant. Latest X-Files mini series were so hyped and turned out plain film school level of writing.

Brian Herbert's Dune books were mostly fair disappointment.

fergosaurus

Oasis - Standing on The Shoulder of Giants

Be Here Now was a big dropoff from their first two albums but this confirmed they were finished in terms of making great albums.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The kings of Leon album with sex on fire. The one before it was alright but you could definitely feel they were starting to lose what made them so special and they were just becoming another pop band. Their first two albums were straight up amazing. Haven’t even bothered to listen to anything since sex on fire.

Moby

Dick
Game of Thrones last 4 seasons.

I was balls deep into it after season 4. Researched a ton of times. Read the literature. Got into endless theories online of how the remaining plot will play out and how the new characters will.come in etc. And obviously the final climax, who will end up as what etc.

Absolute slap in the face season after season thereafter.

Nickosaur

Music? Arcade Fire- Everything Now.
Film? Not to say I was expecting much, but probably the complete travesty that is the Jurassic World "franchise".
Book? I used to love the ASOIAF/Game of Thrones series. If you had told me back in 2011 after A Dance with Dragons that the next book in the series STILL wouldn't be out by 2022 I'd probably have killed myself. Now I couldn't really care less.

Zen

Spaghetti is a bit of odd one.... it was hardly hyped from what I know, nor was it some trick release. You knew what you were getting.

Maybe, just maybe.... Spiderman 3. Good advertising campaign, previous 2 were great fun... and then, that happens. I dunno overly, I just remember being massively disappointed in that.

Being disappointed in a film I've casually downloaded which is historically lauded doesn't really compare.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The kings of Leon album with sex on fire. The one before it was alright but you could definitely feel they were starting to lose what made them so special and they were just becoming another pop band. Their first two albums were straight up amazing. Haven’t even bothered to listen to anything since sex on fire.
Ha, was going to say Kings of Leon. That 3rd album was absolute trash and a complete contrast to their previous two albums.

Nickosaur

I really liked it!
Same. Not sure if it was nostalgia of a 'better' time, or the tension that built up in some of the scenes, or just the obvious amount of fun DiCaprio and Pitt had, but I really enjoyed it. I will say it was an unconventional film, and perhaps not what I was expecting.

Nickosaur

Yeah I still somewhat enjoyed Only By The Night, but it was definitely a move into mainstream, stadium pop-rock. The three albums before that - well especially albums one and two - are just so grungy and unintelligible (in a very good way).

Irwin99

PJ Harvey- Hope six demolition project- not a bad album but, this is PJ we're talking about here. Her weakest album.
Jane Austen- Pride and Prejudice....just, feck that boring book.
Game of Thrones series 8- The last two episodes were a horror show of bad writing and implausibility
Alien Covenant- So disappointing what they did with certain characters
Final Fantasy 13- kill it with fire

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Alien Covenant was always going to be bad after Prometheus.

If anyone has listened to the running commentary of A:C its quite clear that R.Scott just did not have any enjoyment making it and as a viewer I didnt have any enjoyment watching it.
Just unmemorable.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Warcraft (the movie). Great source material for a fantasy movie. The director had made Moon which was very good.

Absolutely fecking dire, it was.

Irwin99

Alien Covenant was always going to be bad after Prometheus.

If anyone has listened to the running commentary of A:C its quite clear that R.Scott just did not have any enjoyment making it and as a viewer I didnt have any enjoyable watching it.
Just unmemorable.
Really? it's pretty obvious he wanted to go down the Prometheus route but was forced into compromise by the mixed reception Prometheus got but i didn't know he was vocal about it. I actually liked some elements of Prometheus and wished he'd just abandon the Alien elements when his heart is clearly not in it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Really? it's pretty obvious he wanted to go down the Prometheus route but was forced into compromise by the mixed reception Prometheus got but i didn't know he was vocal about it. I actually liked some elements of Prometheus and wished he'd just abandon the Alien elements when his heart is clearly not in it.
Its more Ridley's tone throughout the commentary. Just lacking any sort of enthusiasm for Covenant, which is completely different to his commentary for Prometheus where he regards it as one of his most enjoyable times he's had as a movie director.

Regarding a sequel ,Ridley had it almost ready to go ,depending ofcourse on the success of the Prometheus, but it never materialized due to the criticism of the movie.
For some odd reason FOX thought the criticism was largely due to a lack of Alien/Xeno in the movie and not the other blatant aspects.
Still, I enjoy Prometheus. I admired Ridley's concepts and the movie is fundamentally about idea's more than anything. Ridley really wanted to make another original space epic but he just couldn't get it over the hill.

The making of documentary of Prometheus is a great watch.

Last edited:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Music: Slayer - Diabolus in Musika. It should be the abomination that was Illud Divinum Insanus by Morbid Angel (or Dream Theater's The Astonishing) really, but my younger self was crestfallen when these, of all, people succumbed to the groove/nu metal storm that was taking over the metal world back then.

Book: Kazuo Ishiguro - The Buried Giant. One of your favourite authors decides to take a dive into one of your favourite genres. A match made in heaven, right? Try again. As much as i love Ishiguro, the smack he got from the great Ursula Le Guin for this book was more than justified.

Movie: The Avatar, after nearly a hundred people told me to go see it because it's the best movie ever made or whatever. A series of clichés put together, zero character depth and most things happening just because the plot needs them to happen. Even the Aliens look human enough, so you will sympathize with them from the get go and just allow yourself to be absorbed by the SFX.

Bosws87

Every Kanye album since My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Movie: Really disappointed with Dunkirk (love a good war film) The new batman recently.