Which classic players do you think would thrive in modern football?

Hoof the ball

Outside of the very obvious ones like Charlton, Best, Law, etc.

Been watching a bunch of football from the 70's and 80's and it's quite obvious that perhaps the football style and pitch quality (or lack thereof) suited certain profiles of players better than others.

Ian Storey-Moore suffered horrendously at United, which derailed the career of someone who perhaps could have helped with the transition of Best leaving the club. Always impressed me with his talent, touch, decision-making and dribbling. He'd get a lot more protection in the modern game and undoubtedly perhaps would have had a shot at reaching his ceiling potential.

Also, Willie Morgan. Reminds me of Kanchelskis in many facets of his dribbling and driving. Another player I think could be a great player in the modern game.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Gullit, Rijkaard, Maradona (goat), Best, probably all of them.

edit: United players. How far back? Schmeichel and Irwin? Or further back. Probably all of the real talents.

Oranges038

Paul McGrath - Now he'd be better looked after and would almost definitely be one of the best defenders in the world.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I get that Stiles sounds obvious, but in current United side he could fit perfectly. Breaking attacks with pace and feeding forward line from deep midfield.

norm87cro

We are praising Shaw for partially reaching Irwin's level. And thats not anything against Shaw. In all honesty there are a lot of classic players that would have made the cut even today.

Hoof the ball

Gullit, Rijkaard, Maradona (goat), Best, probably all of them.

edit: United players. How far back? Schmeichel and Irwin? Or further back. Probably all of the real talents.
Non-United players are fine. Also, anyone who wasn't world-class in their time but perhaps were stylistically ahead-of-their-time? Think Xavi-esque playing in Division 1 in 1972.

Irwin99

I think David Beckham might have been shifted to the centre as a deep playmaker in the modern game. There were lots of arguments back in the day about his best position but in the modern game where a midfielder can't do absolutely everything (the top 90s midfielders) but has to have a specific function, I think mangers would stick him in the centre with a ball winner next to him.

Edit- seen some of the other suggestions; Becks is probably a bit too modern maybe.

Inter Yer Nan

I think David Beckham might have been shifted to the centre as a deep playmaker in the modern game. There were lots of arguments back in the day about his best position but in the modern game where a midfielder can't do absolutely everything (the top 90s midfielders) but has to have a specific function, I think mangers would stick him in the centre with a ball winner next to him.

Edit- seen some of the other suggestions; Becks is probably a bit too modern maybe.
Tricky one with Becks. You'd think the right side of a middle three would ideally be his best position. He wasn't the quickest, nor a great dribbler, so as an out and out winger, he lacked two big aspects. BUT he was about the best crosser of a football as there's been, and on the right of a midfield four got the best out of that. Also helped that he generally had targets who were handy with their head. Not as many great headers of the ball around today and that wasn't even that long back.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
We are praising Shaw for partially reaching Irwin's level. And thats not anything against Shaw. In all honesty there are a lot of classic players that would have made the cut even today.
I'm a big fan of Luke, but he's nowhere near Irwin, yet.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
The negative question is more interesting. Who would not? Would Puskas be a world class poacher a la RVN? Di Stefano surely would thrive. It's more interesting the further back you go, but obviously not many people here have seen them (in their prime).

I find it very hard to believe prime Cruijf, Maradona, Zidane, Van Basten, etc wouldn't thrive.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Martin Buchan.

If we were, say, as excitable as fans of another club from the north-west region and had a Martin Buchan in the current era, he might get heralded as the best in the world and the best centre-back of the Premier League era...

RooneyLegend

Aye, but nowadays and without the drink, he'd be an absolute beast.
He was an absolute beast with the drink and a bumb knee. Not sure he could've been any better. The only difference would maybe be him staying at a big club if he didn't have a drinking problem. As for his level as a footballer, can't see it.

RooneyLegend

Tricky one with Becks. You'd think the right side of a middle three would ideally be his best position. He wasn't the quickest, nor a great dribbler, so as an out and out winger, he lacked two big aspects. BUT he was about the best crosser of a football as there's been, and on the right of a midfield four got the best out of that. Also helped that he generally had targets who were handy with their head. Not as many great headers of the ball around today and that wasn't even that long back.
Cavani would serve time to have becks in this side. Becks would probably play the same position but he'd have fine pickings cause not many teams play with 2 wingers and 2 forwards these days.

man united 4eva

When Willie comes on to the field... Dressed in red and white... All the fans lift up their hands... And shout with all their might... Forget your Bells and Francis Lees... Can you hear them calling... Hey.. hey..! Clear the way... here comes Willie Morgan.. Willie.. Willie Morgan.. Willie Morgan on the wing... :devil:

Redfrog

All the greats will ! They will be probably better even now with all the sports science and the training regime there is now.
Even more the strikers as they are more protected now days.

People can say Pelé is not as talented as Messi or CR7 but in my eyes he is the greatest as he was the first football superstar and won 3 World Cup, scored 1000 goals and was the first one who tried to score some goals out of this world, even if it was failures. You just can't beat that.

It is easy to say, football is better now but non one should forget that back then it was harder for the players as well. They did not have as much care as now.

lysglimt

Scout
Aye, but nowadays and without the drink, he'd be an absolute beast.
But the problem was - he couldnt help himself from drinking. Ferguson admitted himself, he simply couldn't get through to McGrath. In his book he writes about the 2 major problems - Whiteside and McGrath. With Whiteside he felt he got through to him, but with McGrath he said it was hopeless. So in the end he had to dump McGrath because of the influence he had on the other players

Rossa

Beckenbauer?

I think Rio would be even more spectacular in today’s game. The same goes with Giggs. I think him as a RW cutting inside in a 4-3-3 would be brilliant!

The White Pele

I think Giggs might have had a very different career in the modern game. Playing as a forward in a front 3 rather than working up and down the wing in a midfield 4. Defenders picking up yellows more easily. Looser interpretations of offside. Would have scored a lot more goals in my view.

Tribec

I'd love to see Coppell and Hill on the flanks for us... On today's pitches and rules, they'd have a field day not only assisting, but both were scoring wingers.

Oranges038

He was an absolute beast with the drink and a bumb knee. Not sure he could've been any better. The only difference would maybe be him staying at a big club if he didn't have a drinking problem. As for his level as a footballer, can't see it.
He was easily one of the best defenders in England during his career, the man played over 400 games in 14 years at the top end of English football he played drunk, hungover and as you say with a bum knee which meant his training was restricted. PFA player of the year and a pivotal part of a very good Villa side in the early days of the premier league.
I really don't think his quality as a player can be questioned.

But the problem was - he couldnt help himself from drinking. Ferguson admitted himself, he simply couldn't get through to McGrath. In his book he writes about the 2 major problems - Whiteside and McGrath. With Whiteside he felt he got through to him, but with McGrath he said it was hopeless. So in the end he had to dump McGrath because of the influence he had on the other players
As far as I know he still has the occasional drink. But not to the same extent. We all know why Fergie got rid of him, he still went on to be excellent at Villa. My point is in modern football he would be helped better, better coached and would be a much better player.

This is a friendly, but his class shows. Maradona never got a kick.

lysglimt

Scout
He was easily one of the best defenders in England during his career, the man played over 400 games in 14 years at the top end of English football he played drunk, hungover and as you say with a bum knee which meant his training was restricted. PFA player of the year and a pivotal part of a very good Villa side in the early days of the premier league.
I really don't think his quality as a player can be questioned.

As far as I know he still has the occasional drink. But not to the same extent. We all know why Fergie got rid of him, he still went on to be excellent at Villa. My point is in modern football he would be helped better, better coached and would be a much better player.

This is a friendly, but his class shows. Maradona never got a kick.

Or exactly the opposite would happen. In the 80s and early 90s, McGrath was still a dominant defender despite his knee-troubles and his alcohol-abuse, simply because he wasn't an exception. That professional footballer was still in its infancy, and a lot of footballers drank, partied etc.

In todays football - a lifestyle like that would have left McGrath helpless. So it would all depend on McGraths mentality. Yes the chances of him getting better help is a lot bigger today, but failure to take it would have left McGrath with a much worse career than what he had.

lsd

The Oracle
Best would thrive now on the greater protection he would get from referees same for Maradona.

I wonder how many modern players would do well playing the 50s 60s or 70s with all the tackling that went on.

Neymar wouldn't last 30 seconds

simplyared

Martin Buchan: modern day CB
Tony Dunne: quick attacking LB
Best: goes without saying

From the Tommy Doc era
Gordon McQueen: dominant CB
Steve Coppell: class RW
Stewart Houston: modern day attacking LB
etc

Last edited:

Oranges038

Or exactly the opposite would happen. In the 80s and early 90s, McGrath was still a dominant defender despite his knee-troubles and his alcohol-abuse, simply because he wasn't an exception. That professional footballer was still in its infancy, and a lot of footballers drank, partied etc.

In todays football - a lifestyle like that would have left McGrath helpless. So it would all depend on McGraths mentality. Yes the chances of him getting better help is a lot bigger today, but failure to take it would have left McGrath with a much worse career than what he had.

I hate to break it to you, but professional football did not start in the 90s. Yeah they drank more and sports science has come a long way, but they were still high level athletes, they didn't all drink everyday after training. It was a testament to how good he was that he could play to such a high level when you consider his lifestyle outside of the game.

The likelihood of him being seriously addicted to alcohol is this day and age as a professional footballer is minute. He simply wouldn't have the same lifestyle. Remove the drink and knee injuries, in terms of pure footballing ability McGrath would be streets ahead of most defenders now.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Denis Law. He would be a star in any era.
Agree about McGrath & Buchan, pure quality.
A 16 year old Norman Whitside wouldn't be too shabby either.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Most of them would do fine or even better today. Bigger question (for another thread) is how many players from today would thrive in classic football.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The likelihood of him being seriously addicted to alcohol is this day and age as a professional footballer is minute.
You'd think that his problem would've been identified and dealt with in a very different way - before it became as detrimental as it actually was for him back then.

Similarly, someone like Best wouldn't have been allowed to run wild to the extent he did. Red flags would've been noticed, measures would've been taken - a completely different approach to the whole problem. "He drinks a bit, but he's still feckin' good" wouldn't be an acceptable take on the situation at all - the amount of help he would've got, from a whole host of professionals, is just - well, it's night and day.

Dan_F

Right back in Pep’s system. Also wouldn’t be much worse at defending than Alexander-Arnold.

eire-red

I think all top players would be top players regardless of era. The real top players, the talents that set them apart are timeless.

The game has evolved because of modern sport science, modern balls, better pitches, money, more international trade essentially importing tactics/players etc, which every modern player has access too.

Oranges038

You'd think that his problem would've been identified and dealt with in a very different way - before it became as detrimental as it actually was for him back then.

Similarly, someone like Best wouldn't have been allowed to run wild to the extent he did. Red flags would've been noticed, measures would've been taken - a completely different approach to the whole problem. "He drinks a bit, but he's still feckin' good" wouldn't be an acceptable take on the situation at all - the amount of help he would've got, from a whole host of professionals, is just - well, it's night and day.
Best would be phemoninal now. He achieved so much so young, he even admitted after the European Cup final that he was in the shower thinking to himself, it's not going to get any better than this, thats when it started to go downhill mentality wise. Now I think he would have been able to see that he could do much more and achieve much more.

Scholes_boi

Non-United players obviously loads. If they're considered legendary, then they would surely adapt to the faster pace of today for sure. Combine that with their old-school 'hard' mentality and you'll get players and unique as they were back then. 3 players out of the 00's I'd say Zidane, Roberto Carlos and Ronaldinho. 90's I'd say Shearer, Ronaldo and Figo. If anything enough world class players in a league usually dictate the style of the league they play in.

Of United players, I think the majority of them would fit right in. Since Fergie we've been extremely adaptable to any situation so I see no reason as to why we wouldn't here. Most of our squad consisted of some tough players not afraid to get rough. Something we lack now. That initial fear for the opposing team that they will face opponents who are known for their battles. It gives you a slight edge pre match, and was instrumental for Ours and Arsenal's success in the late90's- early 00's. Though I suppose with VAR and refs giving fouls for the slightest touch now probably wouldn't help it that regard.

Reactions: Penna