Which classic players do you think would thrive in modern football?

Hoof the ball

All the greats will ! They will be probably better even now with all the sports science and the training regime there is now.
Even more the strikers as they are more protected now days.

People can say Pelé is not as talented as Messi or CR7 but in my eyes he is the greatest as he was the first football superstar and won 3 World Cup, scored 1000 goals and was the first one who tried to score some goals out of this world, even if it was failures. You just can't beat that.

It is easy to say, football is better now but non one should forget that back then it was harder for the players as well. They did not have as much care as now.
He definitely was. 100%. I've seen videos of him doing the Ronaldo chop back the very early 60's. Routinely nutmegging players. Remember that audacious move in WC '70 when he ran across the ball in order to run around the keeper and meet the ball the other side? Not an accident. I've seen videos where he's done it multiple times before.....and I haven't seen a single instance of another player doing it since. Pele wasn't just a CF. It's easy to not know, but but his defensive work was excellent. He'd drop back in DM, pick up the ball and he'd drop back and be the creator. Pele was so far ahead of his time in almost every facet it's unreal.

His 'no touch' skill

Last edited:

Oranges038

Remember that audacious move in WC '70 when he ran across the ball in order to run around the keeper and meet the ball the other side? Not an accident. I've seen videos where he's done it multiple times before.....and I haven't seen a single instance of another player doing it since.
I give you Jesper Blomqvist.

lysglimt

Scout
I hate to break it to you, but professional football did not start in the 90s. Yeah they drank more and sports science has come a long way, but they were still high level athletes, they didn't all drink everyday after training. It was a testament to how good he was that he could play to such a high level when you consider his lifestyle outside of the game.

The likelihood of him being seriously addicted to alcohol is this day and age as a professional footballer is minute. He simply wouldn't have the same lifestyle. Remove the drink and knee injuries, in terms of pure footballing ability McGrath would be streets ahead of most defenders now.
No professional football didn't start in the 90 - but it's not really that far off. It was the last generation of footballers who could drink, party, smoke, eat unhealthy - and still make it.

I recommend that you look at Gary Nevilles soccerbox when he interviewed Steven Gerrard. Where Steven Gerrard admitted that Liverpools players drank and partied quite a lot until Gerard Houllier took charge of Liverpool in the late 90s. And when Gary Neville said that he thought the main reason why United won so many matches in Fergie-time in the 90s simply was down to their professionalism, because they had rooted out all the drinking and partying, and that is why they could bombard so many teams in injury-time and get the winners.

To say that McGrath wouldnt have the same lifestyle - how do you know ? Ferguson, as persuasive as he could be, couldn't get him to stop his lifestyle which probably says a lot about McGraths mentality. Do I think that McGrath would have been drinking if he was a professional footballer today ? No - he probably wouldn't. But its the period until he reached that level I would have worried about - I think there is huge chance that McGrath would have ended up as Ravel Morrison.

McGrath arrived at United late, at the age of 22. If he had been picked up by United at 17-18 when Ferguson took charge of United, maybe he wouldn't been an alcoholic. But to say that he wouldn't have been with certainty, that is a stretch.

Redfrog

He definitely was. 100%. I've seen videos of him doing the Ronaldo chop back the very early 60's. Routinely nutmegging players. Remember that audacious move in WC '70 when he ran across the ball in order to run around the keeper and meet the ball the other side? Not an accident. I've seen videos where he's done it multiple times before.....and I haven't seen a single instance of another player doing it since. Pele wasn't just a CF. It's easy to not know, but but his defensive work was excellent. He'd drop back in DM, pick up the ball and he'd drop back and be the creator. Pele was so far ahead of his time in almost every facet it's unreal.

His 'no touch' skill

Pelé was a 10 indeed, he prefered to play with some one in front of him.
I saw the documentary about him on Netflix.
He was with no doubt the best of his tlme and the first superstar in football.
He was extremely talented and he would have been even better now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tricky one with Becks. You'd think the right side of a middle three would ideally be his best position. He wasn't the quickest, nor a great dribbler, so as an out and out winger, he lacked two big aspects. BUT he was about the best crosser of a football as there's been, and on the right of a midfield four got the best out of that. Also helped that he generally had targets who were handy with their head. Not as many great headers of the ball around today and that wasn't even that long back.
He'd probably be groomed to be an attacking midfielder like KDB but with lesser dribbling abilities but better defensive qualities.

Bwuk

Tricky one with Becks. You'd think the right side of a middle three would ideally be his best position. He wasn't the quickest, nor a great dribbler, so as an out and out winger, he lacked two big aspects. BUT he was about the best crosser of a football as there's been, and on the right of a midfield four got the best out of that. Also helped that he generally had targets who were handy with their head. Not as many great headers of the ball around today and that wasn't even that long back.
The closest thing in the modern game to him is KdB.

GazTheLegend

Few that 100% would thrive:

Andrei Kanchelskis
Ryan Giggs
Bryan Robson

All had the physical ability to go with their technique at a time when you could murder them without getting a yellow card.

I think Mark Hughes, Brian McClair and players like those would still do well too. But going to other clubs - Romario, Baresi, Maldini would all be among the top 5 players on the world stage still.

largelyworried

A few United players come to mind.

Paul McGrath - in the modern game players just can't get away with the stuff he used to get up to when he was at United, and modern medical procedures might have sorted his knees. A fit and firing Paul Mcgrath would rip it up in the modern era in my view. Great on the ball, athletic and a real fighter. He's like a more athletic version of Maguire.

Veron - just a terrible fit when he came to United, and never quite up to the required physical level for our league. But these days the game is way less physical than it was back then, and even mid-table teams shift through multiple formations per game, he'd have no problem being accommodated now. His range of passing was amazing even during his worst spells at United, I think he'd be marvellous sat alongside Matic in a 4-2-3-1, something like that. Veron looking for a pass with Rashford, Martial, Greenwood etc streaking into space ahead of him? Brutal.

Gordon Strachan - Excelled with Leeds & Aberdeen, so its not like he had a poor career. But he was one of those attacking players who never really fit in during an era where even the best teams were rigid and direct by modern standards. Ostensibly an inside right, he would wander round wherever he wanted on the pitch (famously so, in the teacups incident). These days there are loads of players who do what he does - Mata being one example that's close to home - but back then he was someone who was difficult to accomodate.

From other clubs, John Barnes, Peter Beardsley, Chris Waddle and Glenn Hoddle are all players who struck me as suited to the modern game too.

davidmichael

Stiles, Buchan, Coppell, McGrath, Robson and Viv Anderson are all ones that instantly come to mind outside of the obvious ones in Best, Charlton and Law.

Of the Premier League era then Rio and Vidic would by far be the two best centre backs in football even though they arguably were back then too. Obviously Cantona and I think in today’s game we’d see Giggs and Kanchelskis both on the opposite flank cutting inside and creating space for overlapping full backs or shooting on their favoured foot.

Keane goes without saying as there’s no one like him as a person or as a player in football today and I think Hughes would be even better in today’s game, one player I think would be massive now is Butt who had the unenvious task of trying to displace Keane and Scholes but in today’s game he’d be massive and would walk into our team or any other team in the league.

Bondi77

Marco Van Bastan
Gazza
All the great players really.
Robbo and Sparky are two of my all time favs but I reckon they would still prefer to play in the time they did as they just loved the physical stuff.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Not going that far back but I think Kanchelskis would have thrived in a front 3

He had a very good goals / game ratio for a winger and his ability to cut in would work really well in a front 3 role

You can extrapolate that out a little further and then image our midfield 3 of Keane, Scholes and Beckham

Giggs...............Cantona................Kanchelskis
.............Scholes.............Beckham....................
...........................Keane......................................

I think those roles would have suited all the players at least as well as the roles they had at the time - and possibly even better for Kanchelskis and Beckham

Classical Mechanic

Beckham and Gerrard would fit in this era perfectly. Good tactical players are no longer the ones that put their foot on the ball and slow the game down but one's with the fitness levels and drive to press and play at intensity for 90 minutes.

Oranges038

No professional football didn't start in the 90 - but it's not really that far off. It was the last generation of footballers who could drink, party, smoke, eat unhealthy - and still make it.

I recommend that you look at Gary Nevilles soccerbox when he interviewed Steven Gerrard. Where Steven Gerrard admitted that Liverpools players drank and partied quite a lot until Gerard Houllier took charge of Liverpool in the late 90s. And when Gary Neville said that he thought the main reason why United won so many matches in Fergie-time in the 90s simply was down to their professionalism, because they had rooted out all the drinking and partying, and that is why they could bombard so many teams in injury-time and get the winners.

To say that McGrath wouldnt have the same lifestyle - how do you know ? Ferguson, as persuasive as he could be, couldn't get him to stop his lifestyle which probably says a lot about McGraths mentality. Do I think that McGrath would have been drinking if he was a professional footballer today ? No - he probably wouldn't. But its the period until he reached that level I would have worried about - I think there is huge chance that McGrath would have ended up as Ravel Morrison.

McGrath arrived at United late, at the age of 22. If he had been picked up by United at 17-18 when Ferguson took charge of United, maybe he wouldn't been an alcoholic. But to say that he wouldn't have been with certainty, that is a stretch.
Liverpool's team that was all conquering in the 80's were massive drinkers, they apparently drank as much if not more than the Utd team. The only reason they weren't called on it was because they were winning trophies.

For McGrath, in the modern day his mother wouldn't have felt the need to place him in an orphanage in Dublin at the age of 5 because of his skin colour. That instantly changes his entire life, that doesn't happen, maybe he doesn't end up abusing alcohol later in life.

And there are reasons why he was late in arriving to Man Utd, maybe you should look them up.

diarm

Best would thrive now on the greater protection he would get from referees same for Maradona.

I wonder how many modern players would do well playing the 50s 60s or 70s with all the tackling that went on.

Neymar wouldn't last 30 seconds
There's also every chance that Neymar would've grown up without the hype, the agents and the stupid money.

That he would've received the kickings he needed by opponents and teammates coming through and he'd now have learned to use his undoubted talent for good, rather than evil.

Without the bullshit that surrounds the modern footballer, there's every chance Neymar might be the best player in the world.

diarm

Le Tissier would be playing in League 2, where his goals would be a regular feature on Soccer AM, but no Prem side would be interested in an overweight forward walking about a 6 yard square of field and pinging long rangers every half hour.

Bondi77

Liverpool's team that was all conquering in the 80's were massive drinkers, they apparently drank as much if not more than the Utd team. The only reason they weren't called on it was because they were winning trophies.

For McGrath, in the modern day his mother wouldn't have felt the need to place him in an orphanage in Dublin at the age of 5 because of his skin colour. That instantly changes his entire life, that doesn't happen, maybe he doesn't end up abusing alcohol later in life.

And there are reasons why he was late in arriving to Man Utd, maybe you should look them up.
I read his book quite a few years ago and the man had a tough upbringing and In my eyes he did exceptionally well to achieve what he did.

KeanoMagicHat

Of all the classic legends I think Eusebio would fit in among the best. Any clips I've seen of him, he was so fast and strong and the power he got with those old balls was incredible. He's be made for the modern game.

At United, Duncan Edwards would thrive in any era in many positions.

Denis' cuff

Outside of the very obvious ones like Charlton, Best, Law, etc.

Been watching a bunch of football from the 70's and 80's and it's quite obvious that perhaps the football style and pitch quality (or lack thereof) suited certain profiles of players better than others.

Ian Storey-Moore suffered horrendously at United, which derailed the career of someone who perhaps could have helped with the transition of Best leaving the club. Always impressed me with his talent, touch, decision-making and dribbling. He'd get a lot more protection in the modern game and undoubtedly perhaps would have had a shot at reaching his ceiling potential.

Also, Willie Morgan. Reminds me of Kanchelskis in many facets of his dribbling and driving. Another player I think could be a great player in the modern game.
Morgan? Hmmm... highlights/YouTube - he was about half as fast as Kanchelskis.

But yep, great players are great players who would adapt to higher fitness levels, nutrition, featherweight ball, carpet pitches, protection from tackling.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
In an age where full backs can only seem to attack and are relatively poor in defence for the most part, Denis Irwin would be the best full back on earth right now. He'd probably be appreciated more outside of United and the Premier League now than he was back then.

I can't think of another current full back who is completely two-footed, can play well on both sides and is equally good at the back and going forwards.

dinostar77

All of them would thrive. With the improvements in fitness, professionalism and diets, they would all be fine. Class is permanent.

Denis' cuff

Denis Law. He would be a star in any era.
Agree about McGrath & Buchan, pure quality.
A 16 year old Norman Whitside wouldn't be too shabby either.
yep - all that

George? The first real superstar. Because of that, nobody knew how to handle it/him.

Because of him, we do now. Absolute shame we more or less lost him at ~26. Just so glad I saw him from first to last app for United

Greatest ever, with style to burn. Made Beckham look like Tommy Smith.

Inter Yer Nan

Veron - just a terrible fit when he came to United, and never quite up to the required physical level for our league. But these days the game is way less physical than it was back then, and even mid-table teams shift through multiple formations per game, he'd have no problem being accommodated now. His range of passing was amazing even during his worst spells at United, I think he'd be marvellous sat alongside Matic in a 4-2-3-1, something like that. Veron looking for a pass with Rashford, Martial, Greenwood etc streaking into space ahead of him? Brutal.
Veron would have thrived even a few years later. Some players just weren't cut out for the Premier League, and/or were too soft like Di Maria, for example. With Veron, he had a good mentality. It's just the side and style he joined when he did, and the league when he did. I think a peak Veron in our side from 2006- would have been an absolute world beater. Real shame he never worked out as it's had a big impact on his legacy and he was actually a great player. You don't do what he did in Italy, when he did it, if you're not.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
yep - all that

George? The first real superstar. Because of that, nobody knew how to handle it/him.

Because of him, we do now. Absolute shame we more or less lost him at ~26. Just so glad I saw him from first to last app for United

Greatest ever, with style to burn. Made Beckham look like Tommy Smith.
Totally agree. I didn't mention George because it goes without saying he would be a superstar in the modern game.

Brightonian

The fast ones. Footballers are faster now, and it's harder and harder to get away with average pace, particularly in positions where pace didn't use to matter as much.

Dansk

I strongly suspect that anyone before the late 80s would struggle with the physical needs of the modern game. It used to be completely normal for players to smoke and drink, and training was nowhere near as intensive. Of course, the classic players could adapt to the life of today's professional footballer; but if we take them as they were in their day, I think they would have serious fitness problems. They also played considerably fewer games per season back then.

Superden

Sir Stanley Matthews. Would probs play on into his 70s in todays football....

lysglimt

Scout

I have read it all - I never said McGrath didn't have a tough childhood with the orphanage, the mental breakdown etc - and maybe it would have been better if McGrath had been born 20 years later - but there are no guarantees.
If Atkinson in his spell at United, had known about his drinking problem, which he claims he never knew the extent of, or if McGrath and Ferguson had got along better, maybe Ferguson would have got through to McGrath - but he said himself he didn't like style. McGrath had a problem with people telling him what to do and barking orders at him - and that was Fergusons style. They didn't mix - in addition to the alcohol-issues.

So as much as I sympathetic to McGrath - I am just saying there are other people who suffered as bad or worse than he did, who went on to have a footballing career without being an alcoholic - even if McGrath was dealt worse cards than most

Oranges038

I have read it all - I never said McGrath didn't have a tough childhood with the orphanage, the mental breakdown etc - and maybe it would have been better if McGrath had been born 20 years later - but there are no guarantees.
If Atkinson in his spell at United, had known about his drinking problem, which he claims he never knew the extent of, or if McGrath and Ferguson had got along better, maybe Ferguson would have got through to McGrath - but he said himself he didn't like style. McGrath had a problem with people telling him what to do and barking orders at him - and that was Fergusons style. They didn't mix - in addition to the alcohol-issues.

So as much as I sympathetic to McGrath - I am just saying there are other people who suffered as bad or worse than he did, who went on to have a footballing career without being an alcoholic - even if McGrath was dealt worse cards than most
What's your point exactly?

Per the OP the question was.

Which classic players do you think would thrive in modern football?

Based on pure footballing ability I picked McGrath because he was an outstanding player, easily one of the best defenders of his time and I think that now he would be even better, easily a better player than Van Dijk who is widely regarded as the best in the world.

Maybe you should suggest a player, maybe instead of trying badly to pick apart someone else's suggestion you could come up with your own.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

His 'no touch' skill

You're right. Pele is super cool

dutchred

Martin Buchan.

If we were, say, as excitable as fans of another club from the north-west region and had a Martin Buchan in the current era, he might get heralded as the best in the world and the best centre-back of the Premier League era...
agree 100 %

MoskvaRed

Wilkins and Hoddle were two players who were not quite as appreciated in 70s/80s England as they would be now.

Bobski

Giggs as a wide forward gets a lot of mentions but I would have loved to see him develop in a midfield 3 earlier in his career. His ability to destroy defensive shape driving through the middle on those long runs intrigues me far more than a wide forward cutting in.

Especially given his creative passing.

Polar

World class players of their era with exceptional speed and physic, example Ronaldo (Brazil), Giggs.

Beckham = no as RW.
Cantona = no

Last edited:

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I think David Beckham might have been shifted to the centre as a deep playmaker in the modern game. There were lots of arguments back in the day about his best position but in the modern game where a midfielder can't do absolutely everything (the top 90s midfielders) but has to have a specific function, I think mangers would stick him in the centre with a ball winner next to him.

Edit- seen some of the other suggestions; Becks is probably a bit too modern maybe.
Did he not play that role at Madrid?