Which club has the best transfer record in the last decade?

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
It is not about only recruiting the players with the right profile of the right quality but also about appointing the right managers after SAF, retrospectively we failed big time, so the players we bought will be underperforming until we make it right..

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Liverpool is up there. Salah, Firmino, Mane, Coutinho, Suarez are all world class players and each one cost them less than 50m.

Of course there have been some flops like Moreno, Lovren, Benteke but also really good cheap transfers like Robertson or Matip.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I feel like United has been "ruining" players for a while now
There may be something to that, but I also think we have been signing too many wrong players. To pick a few examples; Di Maria never wanted to come here. Depay didn't have the attributes to succeed in the PL. Schneiderlin wasn't good enough. Falcao was a crock. Sanchez was arguably over the hill. Schweinsteiger definitely so. I'm probably forgetting several other unwise signings...

El Pasillo

Yep, probably has to be Madrid. Even though they've had their fair share of poor transfers (Illarramendi, Şahin, Huntelaar, Danilo), a lot of their recent success has to do with signings in that period:

Ronaldo: Peanuts for their greatest player since Di Stéfano
Modrić: Only £31 million — one of the greatest midfielders of all time, let alone this era
Benzema: Criminally underappreciated at times
Kroos: One of the architects for their third successive Champions League final
Isco: A bit up and down, but spectacular when he's on form

Then you have the likes of Alonso or Casemiro or Varane or Bale (well forth the fee - though maybe not the long extensions) — or even Özil and Di María: fairly successful at Madrid and sold for a cool profit of ~€70 million.
To be honest, I think Benzema has never really been rated much at RedCafe and the general consensus is that Benzema is still at the RM only because of Pérez/Zidane apparently having some sort of a weird feitsh towards him lol.

paulscholes18

Atletico Madrid
GK Oblak
DF Juanfran, Vrsaljko, Godin, Luís, Gimenez
MD Carrasco, Tiago
FW Forlan, Aguero, Villa, Costa, Griezmann

Cloud7

Madrid IMO. Even discounting the Ronaldo transfer, which was the best purchase of the last decade for what he’s given them, the acquisitions of Modric and Kroos were excellent, Isco and Asensio have been great for the future and the now. Benzema has been more or less the perfect foil for Ronaldo and Bale has done his parts.

It’s hard to really point at any significant misses in their dealings as of recently.

ti vu

Juventus strategy of taking the cast offs of the other big European clubs whilst buying all the best players from the Italian league has always seemed to work well.

United’s is incredibly poor. Every player we seem to have bought post-Ferguson has been underwhelming. That’s because we seem to buy players to sell shirts rather than actually fit into a system.
Italian economy enables Juventus who is well run financially. Then the Italian culture: They still prefer selling players within the league on many occasions while giving foreigner clubs hard time.

Here we buying within the league is expensive. Clubs actively pushing players to foreigner clubs if they have to sell, and there are more big spenders. Last but not least location.

Back to the topic, Madrid hand down take this crown. While trophies count is in favor of Barcelona, Madrid looks like limit most damage from arguably the best Barcelona era ever running from Ronaldinho to Messi whole career. Very unlikely Barcelona can keep up after Messi wind down now that Neymar left (doesn't look like he would return after burning the bridge). Madrid 's policy is always about buying world class players so they're not restrainted by philosophy like Barcelona, so it's easier for them to change playing style to fit next the successor talent.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Madrid, and I think Chelsea have bought very well (Hazard, Salah, KdB, Azpi, Costa, Matic, Courtois, Lukaku, Alonso, Kante, Fabregas, Willian are all very good EPL players) but their managers haven't held on to the talent (Salah, KdB, Lukaku, Matic).

Last edited:

SpyLuke10

It's almost laughable how atrocious we have been in the market. No wonder we are so far behind the top clubs now.
Well if im honest, madrid were spending 150 million on two players back in 2009, back when 30 million was seen as a ton of money. Most of United's spend has come under LVG and Jose in the last 4 years, where what was 30 million in 2009 is now almost like the equivalent to 120 million.

Revaulx

One of the reasons to start this thread is also to analyse what we have done wrong and what we can learn from the teams who have done much better than us. Clubs like Bayern and Barca have a certain style of football they want their teams to play regardless of the manager in charge. So it would have been easier for them to buy players suited to their style. At United, we got Moyes who had zero clue what he was doing. Then came LVG who wanted us to play possession based football. Then we have Jose who likes to sit deep and counter teams. So how will a signing under Moyes or before that be able to adapt to this many changes? Each system requires players with different skill sets. If next year, we get a new manager, we'll have to start the process all over again. I think this has been our biggest drawback and resulted in our horrible transfer policy.
What’s added to our misery has been that LvG and (surprisingly) Jose have both displayed very little ability in ensuring that their signings have the skill set that’s right for their style. Di Maria wasn’t an LvG player; Mkhitaryan not a Jose one.

One wonders how much control our managers actually exercise over transfers. Maybe Ed and his agent friends call the shots?

James Peril

Don't really think we can mention teams that haven't really won a single trophy over the last 10 years. I mean, bloody Leicester won the Premier League on a tiny budget. I guess that obviously equals a great transfer record, getting in players like Schmeichel, Huth, Fuchs, Simpson, Drinkwater, Kante, Mahrez, Albrighton and Vardy for virtually nothing. And winning the fecking league in England... amazing. Liverpool do have some great players, but most of them cost a lot of money and they are a big club after all - attracting great players either they cost nothing or 75M. Suarez is better than Firmino, Sterling is better than Mané (although not Salah) - they still haven't won a single trophy. I shouldn't have written that of course, given the week we find ourselves in. I'm sorry.

James Peril

Madrid, and I think Chelsea have bought very well (Hazard, Salah, KdB, Azpi, Costa, Matic, Courtois, Lukaku, Alonso, Kante, Fabregas, Willian are all very good EPL players) but their managers haven't held on to the talent (Salah, KdB, Lukaku, Matic).
It's not as easy as that. Salah and KdB have really matured after leaving Chelsea, but it's not easy to spot talent even if it seems ridiculous a few years later. Take the case of KdB, an absolutely fantastic player, he just didn't do it at Chelsea and was transferred to Wolfsburg, not Atletico or Juventus. If he didn't deliver and someone else was better, why should he play? Same with Salah, he just looked lost and I remember thinking this guy is not going to make it. Again, what is evident now wasn't necessarily the same a few years ago and you play the ones that deserve to play. Furthermore, Matic is hardly someone to put on the list. He has had a brilliant Chelsea-career and he was allowed to leave for a bigger one to reunite with his former manager. Chelsea also beat us in the cup final and it's not like they are desperately missing him when they have Kante in there. Lukaku is probably not missed by any Chelsea-fan and he's hardly what they are dreaming of in terms of ability. Selling Costa however, that was not very smart even though they probably did it because he's a huge dick.

Skills

Snitch
It would be Chelsea if they didn't sell Salah and De Bruyne sales.

In the last 10 years they've bought Hazard, Salah, De Bruyne, Mata (2x player of the year), Azpillicueta, Kanye (PL POTY), Courtois (replaced Cech at the right time with no effort), Matic (sold for a profit after years of great service). I know they've had some poor ones too but the good ones are really obvious.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Well if im honest, madrid were spending 150 million on two players back in 2009, back when 30 million was seen as a ton of money. Most of United's spend has come under LVG and Jose in the last 4 years, where what was 30 million in 2009 is now almost like the equivalent to 120 million.
Your point is definitely valid but I wouldn't go as far to say 30 million then is equal to 120 million today, I would probably say 60 million.

Even if you take out the last 10 years and look at say 5 years, you have Madrid signing* Kroos for 24 million, Isco for 30 million, Casemiro 6 million, Carvjal 6.5 million (though it was through a buy back clause with Leverkusen), Navas 10 million, Asencio 3.5 million.

Those are some absolute steals in whatever market you want to look at and it's a testament to their scouting ability during that period, moving away from their galactico mentality and looking for young, talented players.

* All values are in Euros.

AgentP

That's true but it only shows that we made a huge mistake by not spending big on the numerous world class players that were available in the period between 2008-2013. So while most teams stacked up these top players, we were left with a much weaker squad. It was pretty obvious even under Fergie that quality wise, City was better than us. It was only Fergie's magic that was holding it all together. After he left, we were forced to spend big to catch up for all the wasted time. It made it twice harder because we were no longer the destination of choice for most players. Just think, in 2008, we were the best team in Europe. We would have been able to attract all the top players in the world.

AgentP

If we look at net spend, we are the absolute worst in the business! Over the last 5 years, the net spend in pounds for each club is

1. City - 633m
  2. United - 569m
  3. PSG - 507m (doesn't include Mbappe I think as they only pay next year)
  4. Barca - 226m
  5. Bayern - 165m
  6. Leipzig - 161m
  7. Chelsea - 153m
  8. Liverpool - 150m
  9. Juventus - 121m
  10. Napoli - 102m
  11. R.Madrid - 66m
City have spent the most. But they have backed it up with 2 league titles. So many other clubs on the list doing so much better with way less net spend. It shows two things in my opinion. We have been overspending on low quality players. The other established clubs were in a way better position with respect to squad quality in 2013 compared to us.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I can't see how anyone could rate Real Madrid's transfer policy as impressive. Firstly, if you're paying the sort of money they are for established world-class players then they should be successful. Signing Ronaldo required zero foresight or insight. That's why they had to break the world transfer record to do it. Same with Bale. They have also paid massive fees for the likes of Kaka and James Rodriguez, who have not really performed for them.

Secondly, although they have done well in the Champions League in recent years, Barcelona have been as successful in the Champions League over the last 10 years or so, while also completely dominating Spanish domestic football.

Thirdly, Real have the advantage of being Real Madrid, which means they can sign almost anyone. So I'm not sure how this equates to an impressive transfer policy. They're getting a pretty easy ride here considering they've finished third in La Liga this season, despite being either the richest or second richest club in the world.

The real test in the transfer market is buying players for small, or relatively small, fees, who then develop into world-class players. I would say over the last ten years that Arsenal have certainly been ahead of anyone in England in this regard. Arsenal sold all of these players for a profit, often a hefty profit having paid virtually nothing for them, in the last ten years or so:

Ashley Cole (Chelsea)
Thierry Henry (Barcelona)
Fabrice Muamba (Birmingham City)
Emmanuel Adebayor (Manchester City)
Kolo Toure (Manchester City)
Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona)
Samir Nasri (Manchester City)
Carlos Vela (Real Sociedad)
Robin van Persie (Manchester United)
Alex Song (Barcelona)
Gael Clichy (Manchester City)
Thomas Vermaelen (Barcelona)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool)
Theo Walcott (Everton)
Francis Coquelin (Valencia)
Olivier Giroud (Chelsea)
Kieran Gibbs (West Bromwich Albion)
Wojciech Szczęsny (Juventus)

So an XI of players they've sold for a profit could be something like: Szczęsny; Clichy, Toure, Vermaelen, Cole; Fabregas, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Nasri, Walcott; Henry, van Persie. There are probably other players I'm overlooking as well.

Atletico Madrid would be also be a good call.

TyroneSpong

I can't see how anyone could rate Real Madrid's transfer policy as impressive. Firstly, if you're paying the sort of money they are for established world-class players then they should be successful. Signing Ronaldo required zero foresight or insight. That's why they had to break the world transfer record to do it. Same with Bale. They have also paid massive fees for the likes of Kaka and James Rodriguez, who have not really performed for them.

Secondly, although they have done well in the Champions League in recent years, Barcelona have been as successful in the Champions League over the last 10 years or so, while also completely dominating Spanish domestic football.

Thirdly, Real have the advantage of being Real Madrid, which means they can sign almost anyone. So I'm not sure how this equates to an impressive transfer policy. They're getting a pretty easy ride here considering they've finished third in La Liga this season, despite being either the richest or second richest club in the world.

The real test in the transfer market is buying players for small, or relatively small, fees, who then develop into world-class players. I would say over the last ten years that Arsenal have certainly been ahead of anyone in England in this regard. Arsenal sold all of these players for a profit, often a hefty profit having paid virtually nothing for them, in the last ten years or so:

Ashley Cole (Chelsea)
Thierry Henry (Barcelona)
Fabrice Muamba (Birmingham City)
Emmanuel Adebayor (Manchester City)
Kolo Toure (Manchester City)
Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona)
Samir Nasri (Manchester City)
Carlos Vela (Real Sociedad)
Robin van Persie (Manchester United)
Alex Song (Barcelona)
Gael Clichy (Manchester City)
Thomas Vermaelen (Barcelona)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool)
Theo Walcott (Everton)
Francis Coquelin (Valencia)
Olivier Giroud (Chelsea)
Kieran Gibbs (West Bromwich Albion)
Wojciech Szczęsny (Juventus)

So an XI of players they've sold for a profit could be something like: Szczęsny; Clichy, Toure, Vermaelen, Cole; Fabregas, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Nasri, Walcott; Henry, van Persie. There are probably other players I'm overlooking as well.

Atletico Madrid would be also be a good call.
Barcelona won a lot of prizes mainly because of their youth players Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Pedro and Busquets. And of course some good buys like Alves.

Last edited by a moderator:

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
No, the real test in transfer market is to find players who will improve the team and achieve the club's goals. If you are talking about selling for profit then Southampton are ahead of Arsenal.

Clyne
Lovren
VVD
Shaw
Schneiderlin
Wamyama
Walcott
Ox
Bale

All they need is to find a good striker, maybe if you go back years then you can add Shearer.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
No, the real test in transfer market is to find players who will improve the team and achieve the club's goals. If you are talking about selling for profit then Southampton are ahead of Arsenal.

Clyne
Lovren
VVD
Shaw
Schneiderlin
Wamyama
Walcott
Ox
Bale

All they need is to find a good striker, maybe if you go back years then you can add Shearer.
Southampton have done very well, I agree.

If your sole criteria are improving the team and achieving the club's goals then PSG have had an impressive transfer policy. Neymar and Mbappe improved their team, and helped them win three trophies this season. But any club would have had them if they had £360 million to spend. Signing them requires no foresight or judgement.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Southampton have done very well, I agree.

If your sole criteria are improving the team and achieving the club's goals then PSG have had an impressive transfer policy. Neymar and Mbappe improved their team, and helped them win three trophies this season. But any club would have had them if they had £360 million to spend. Signing them requires no foresight or judgement.
Of course they had good transfers, confirmed by how strong they are as a team but they aren't among the best as there are few teams better than them.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Madrid have spent £915 million on transfers since 08/09 so surely they should be discounted in the same way you have City and PSG?

Interestingly, United have spent £916m in the exact same time period. Seems a slight discrepancy in who got better value for their money!
The difference? One of the above had Ronaldo

dogwithabone

Has to be Southampton. Cannot think of any club remotely near them in terms of transfers - particularly out going.

RoyH1

Atletico Madrid. Buy cheap, sell expensive and are European contenders every year.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Atletico Madrid. Buy cheap, sell expensive and are European contenders every year.
Atletico aren't that good, they have a lot of high profile failure, the positive thing is that their academy provided first teamers.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Real, City and Chelsea are my top 3 I think. City bought extremely well quite early on with Silva, Toure, Kompany and Aguero which has propelled them to where they are now.

Chelsea have an incredibly annoying habit of always coming out of turmoil better than they went into it, infuriates me that they’ve now won more major trophies than us since Roman came in.

Luke1995

Honourable mention to Leicester. They have managed to truly become a estabilished PL team. Despite all the shock and talk of relegation post title with their poor start to 2016-17, it was still one of the best seasons in their history.

They believed in Schmeichel back in 2011 when there were several doubts over how good he would become, found Vardy and Mahrez at lower divisions, realized Kante's talent at Caen, among others who helped them make the most of it.

Now their squad seems weaker than the title one but they probably doesn't need to worry about relegation anymore. Pretty good scout system they have.

The best one though is Atletico Madrid, most of their signings since 2008 have turned them into a big club.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think Dortmund gets overlooked much because they aren't doing too well, currently. But they made their way into the CL final, a domestic double and a back to back championship with a brillant transfer strategy. Think up until their second league title, their transfer income always exceeded their spendings.

They scouted some amazing players, exemplarily Kagawa for 250,000€. But also players like Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Pisczek, Gündogan, Sven Bender, Sokratis, Hummels or Subotic. Also some players who flopped but were sold successfully and performed for other clubs, like Immobile, Jojic, Kampl or Bittencourt. Especially amazing since they didn't spent under 10,000,000 for Lewandowski, Gündogan, Hummels etc.

Besides that

City
Real
Porto
PSG
Juventus
Bayern
Atletico
Leicester
Napoli

come to mind.