Which country/nationality has the best managers in history?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Which country in your opinion has had the best managers?

For me, it has to be Scotland. They seem to have the biggest pool of top managers in football history.

Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Matt Busby, Jock Stein and Bill Shankly are all candidates for being in the list of top ten all-time greats.

They have other decent managers who managed in the game for years doing a good job at most of their clubs such as;

George Graham, Walter Smith, David Moyes.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Italian: Sacchi, Trapattoni, Ancelotti, Lippi

Few other notables:
Dutch: Michels, Cruyff
England: Clough, Paisley
Spain: Guardiola, Herrera

KeanoMagicHat

Few other notables:
If you mean Helanio he was from Argentina. Who are in with a good shout - Herrera, Lorenzo, Stabile, Simeone, Pochettino, Bielsa, Menotti, Bilardo, Pellegrini etc.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Germany: Udo Lattek, Helmet Schon, Otto Rehagal, Franz Beckenbauer, Jupp Heynckes, Ottmar Hitzfeld.

A lot of the current and upcoming generation as well with Klopp, Tuchel, Rose and Nagelsmann.

Overall I would say Scotland has the most legendary managers with four being part of the all time greats (Sir Matt, SAF, Shankly and Stein).

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Germany: Udo Lattek, Helmet Schon, Otto Rehagal, Franz Beckenbauer, Jupp Heynckes, Ottmar Hitzfeld.

A lot of the current and upcoming generation as well with Klopp, Tuchel, Rose and Nagelsmann.

Overall I would say Scotland has the most legendary managers with four being part of the all time greats (Sir Matt, SAF, Shankly and Stein).
Dalglish is Scottish too. He's been missed by two people now. :lol:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Would have to go with either Germany or Italy, as they possess greater strength in depth than top-heavy Scotland while boasting more eclectic achievements, and especially if we give proper consideration to international football (which was the pinnacle of the sport for the bulk of its history). The latter produced illustrious names like Arrigo Sacchi (outstanding impact on post-modern football), Marcello Lippi, Vittorio Pozzo (one of the first proponents of the Metodo evolution), Giovanni Trapattoni (pioneered the Zona Mista scheme), Fabio Capello, Carlo Ancelotti, Nereo Rocco (among the heralds on the Catenaccio era), Enzo Bearzot — with 4 World Cup titles, 10 European Cups, 28 Elite league titles (ranging from Serie A to La Liga to the Premier League and the Bundesliga) between them, in addition to other pretty good ones like Conte, Valcareggi, Allegri, Bernardini. As for the former, you have the ones @hasanejaz88 mentioned, and the likes of Weisweiler (manager of the iconic Mönchengladbach team with Netzer and Vogts), Herberger (led West Germany to the 1954 World Cup title), et cetera.

England has a noteworthy (and slightly underrated) selection as well: Clough and Paisely are near-unanimous greats obviously, and Hogan, Chapman, Reynolds, Winterbottom, Buckingham rank among the most prominent football thinkers of all time — in terms of both revolutionary tactical imprint (like the Pyramid or WM innovations), and influence on legendary teams and players (ranging from Hungary's Golden Team to Cruyff at Ajax).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'd also go with the Netherlands. Cruyff and Rinus Michels were era defining, van Gaal wasn't too bad either. They're definitely the nation most associated with a certain style of football.

Spain is also worth a shout with Guardiola, del Bosque, Aragones.

Italy of course with Sacchi, Capello, Ancelotti

Scotland is an interesting pick. I never heard of the latter two and wouldn't knew Busby if I didn't join this forum.

Would be interesting to see which nation has the most international trophy wins by coaches. I'd guess Italy.

simplyared

Which country in your opinion has had the best managers?

For me, it has to be Scotland. They seem to have the biggest pool of top managers in football history.

Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Matt Busby, Jock Stein and Bill Shankly are all candidates for being in the list of top ten all-time greats.

They have other decent managers who managed in the game for years doing a good job at most of their clubs such as;

George Graham, Walter Smith, David Moyes.
Brian Clough, Bob Paisley, Sir Alf Ramsey, and Sir Bobby Robson must put England in with a shout.
If you're giving Moyes and Graham a mention then I'd be throwing in Dalglish and of course The Doc.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Few other notables:
He was a PE teacher. Ironic that it's used as an insult nowadays by clueless idiots on twitter.

RashyForPM

Scotland surely? They have the all-time GOAT in Fergie, then Busby, Shankly, Stein, Dalglish etc. I suppose England, Holland and Spain can compete. Not sure about Germany, the likes of Heynckes, Beckenbauer and Löw won’t really go down as managerial legends around the world I believe.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Would be interesting to see which nation has the most international trophy wins by coaches. I'd guess Italy.
Germany for Europe, with 7. Herberger, Beckenbauer, Schön, Derwall, Rehhagel, Löw, Vogts won the World Cup and/or European Championship. Italy and France tied for second place, with 4 each: Pozzo, Lippi, Bearzot, Valcareggi for the former, and Hidalgo, Jacquet, Lemerre, Deschamps for the latter.

South America is quite interesting, as the Top 3 far exceed Germany if we consider World Cup and/or Copa América winning managers...
  1. Uruguay (15): Foglino, Platero, Suppici, Fígoli, De Lucca, Meliante, Fontana, Blanco, Cea, Bagnulo, Corazzo, Borrás, Fleitas, Núñez, Tabárez.
  2. Brazil (11): Zagallo, Feola, Domingues, Laís, Moreira, Flávio, Lazaroni, Scolari, Luxemburgo, Parreira, Dunga.
  3. Argentina (10): Menotti, Stábile, Calomino, Tesoriere, Millón, Olazar, Bilardo, Seoane, Spinetto, Basile.
:lol:
CL/EC by nation anyone?

Scotland have how many?
  1. Italy: 11 total with 6 managers (Sacchi x2, Rocco x2, Ancelotti x3, Lippi x1, Trapattoni x1, Capello x1, Di Matteo x1).
  2. Spain: 10 total with 6 managers (del Bosque x 2, Guardiola x2, Muñoz x2, Villalonga x2, Enrique x1, Benítez x1).
  3. Germany: 9 total with 6 managers (Hitzfeld x2, Lattek x1, Cramer x2, Heynckes x2, Klopp x1, Flick x1).
  4. England: 7 total with 4 managers (Paisley x3, Clough x2, Fagan x1, Barton x1).
  5. Netherlands: 5 total with 5 managers (Michels x1, Cruyff x1, van Gaal x1, Hiddink x1, Rijkaard x1).
  6. Scotland and Argentina with 4 total and 3/2 managers respectively: Fergie x2, Busby x1, Stein x1 for the former and Herrera x2, Carniglia x2 for the latter.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Brian Clough, Bob Paisley, Sir Alf Ramsey, and Sir Bobby Robson must put England in with a shout.
If you're giving Moyes and Graham a mention then I'd be throwing in Dalglish and of course The Doc.
Of the 4 only the first 2 have an argument for the best managers level though? I only mention Moyes and Graham as decent ish normal level managers that back up the big boys.

Ramsey won the WC which is a great achievement but aside from that he only won 1 top division title. Sir Bobby Robson won 4 league titles and a couple of domestic trophies, 2 Dutch league titles and 2 Portuguese league titles. That is pretty good but not the same level as Sir Alex, Sir Matt, Paisley or Shankly.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus

I was ready to be a smartass and point out that he is Swiss. Luckily, I consulted Wikipedia and it turns out he is actually German by about 8 meters. :lol: Never knew that, always assumed he was Swiss.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
South America is quite interesting, as the Top 3 far exceed Germany if we consider World Cup and/or Copa América winning managers...
That comparison is skewed on many levels though:
The Copa America is a much older competition, is played with a closer frequency and has less top teams participating.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I was ready to be a smartass and point out that he is Swiss. Luckily, I consulted Wikipedia and it turns out he is actually German by about 8 meters. :lol: Never knew that, always assumed he was Swiss.
I actually thought the same until I checked on wiki before posting :lol: though he's had most of his managerial career in Germany I always thought he was Swiss.