Which game broke you the most?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Our 2010 team is a bit underrated really. The front half of our team was absolutely world class with peak Robben, Van Persie, Sneijder and Kuyt (I know I know). Van Bommel and Nigel de Jong were a perfect fit playing behind Sneijder and Stekelenburg somehow turned into Van der Sar that summer. It was only our centre backs that were suspect, though Matthijssen and Heitinga where by no means terrible. Especially Robben was completely unplayable for almost his entire international career and elevated us to a higher level.

It's the 2014 team that had no business nearly making the final with Bruno Martins Indi, Ron Vlaar, Jonathan de Guzman and Daryl Janmaat in the starting eleven.
I love how you snuck kuyt in there :lol:

What that team did was admirable, and honestly the whole controversy with cryuff calling them anti football and Spain deserving of the win was too harsh and uncalled for me, hell that team came closer to winning it all than cruyff's team ever did.
You lot had an incredible run in those two tournaments almost making two finals in a row is quite admirable.

Revaulx

Here's the moment of heart break if you want to experience it again .

Madrid 2013 thread
some familiar names in there as well.
I’m afraid I went into that home leg feeling far from confident.

I thought we’d regret not getting the win in Madrid. Jose was still a master tactician back then and we weren’t as resilient as we had been.

Still awful, though I recover fairly quickly from heartbreak induced by injustice. It’s the sort that comes about as a result of us being just not very good that stay with me. Sevilla 2018, the group stage exit two seasons earlier, Leipzig, Villarreal being some of the many recent ones.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I’m afraid I went into that home leg feeling far from confident.

I thought we’d regret not getting the win in Madrid. Jose was still a master tactician back then and we weren’t as resilient as we had been.

Still awful, though I recover fairly quickly from heartbreak induced by injustice. It’s the sort that comes about as a result of us being just not very good that stay with me. Sevilla 2018, the group stage exit two seasons earlier, Leipzig, Villarreal being some of the many recent ones.
Fergie had gotten a bit cynical in his approach to big games though not to the degree that he was in the previous year , Madrid were seemingly vulnerable in that tie especially with López in the goal but we didn't risk it too much, we had our away goal so even a 0_0 would've seen us through, but alas it wasn't meant to be.
Hopefully with hag we excise the ghosts of our past European failures.

Revaulx

Came here to say this. Certainly my post SAF pick anyway. Not in terms of the worst performance, result or anything like that. But it was the game that I realised Jose just wasn’t suited for us, the progress we’d made under him until that point wasn’t going to take us anywhere and we’d eventually end up sacking the obnoxious tit. Him mugging off his own club in the post match presser should have seen him sacked on the spot tbh.
While by no means perfect, Jose’s opening 18 months or so were a lot more enjoyable than I had been expecting them to be. It was the 0-0 draw at home to a very ordinary Southampton just after Christmas that suddenly made me realise we weren’t going anywhere. Sevilla just confirmed it. I was at Wembley for both the FA Cup semi and final; Alexis’ winner v Spurs provided a modicum of cheer but overall it felt pretty hopeless.
Madrid 2013 sucked but I get the feeling we’d have gone out in the next round anyway. Porto 2004 stings because it was a Porto v Monaco final, we’d have probably won it that year if Howard could catch a football or if the linesman was actually watching.
Agree with both. The Leverkusen one seemed
worse though; Porto could be put down to bad luck, but that one was a real anticlimax.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Portsmouth FA Cup loss in 2008
Barcelona 2011
Madrid in 2013

USA not qualifying for WC 2018 (whatever that game was, I've erased it from memory)
Nigeria v Tunisia, Nigeria v Ghana 2022

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Barcelona 2011
Madrid in 2013

USA not qualifying for WC 2018 (whatever that game was, I've erased it from memory)
Is that the one where the ref send off Van Persie for finishing off an attack that was flagged offside or something?

adexkola

Supports
Is that the one where the ref send off Van Persie for finishing off an attack that was flagged offside or something?
:lol: never gets old

That was a fecking travesty, but Barcelona would have gone through regardless

I remember rushing home to watch the 2011 final. I was so disgusted at the end.

do.omb

Supports
Bayern Munich
Finale Dahoam without a doubt. The stage was set for the most epic party in the history of Munich, we dominated the game to an extreme, late lead, penalty in over time and then a shoot out as a German team against an English team, with Neuer saving the first ... could not have been any more tragic. Instead of said party the city just went silent.
Redemption was had the following year but I never felt as empty as after this game of football. I have not quite cared for a any game football the same ever since.

Barcelona 99 was also tough but in that game we were not dominant and there's just something extremely more likeable about SAF's ManUnited over a plastic club.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
:lol: never gets old

That was a fecking travesty, but Barcelona would have gone through regardless

I remember rushing home to watch the 2011 final. I was so disgusted at the end.
I actually just watched the bit back on youtube. One of the most ridiculous red cards of all time. Would they have? You won the first leg 2-1..

adexkola

Supports
I actually just watched the bit back on youtube. One of the most ridiculous red cards of all time. Would they have? You won the first leg 2-1..
No, we drew 0-0 with Marseille in the first leg ;)

We're talking about Barcelona here. I think they were well in control of that game prior to the send off.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Barcelona 2011
Madrid in 2013

Trinidad and Tobago, 2-0 loss.

For me, the United v Bayern loss in 2010 was dreadful. I think United were overall much better than Inter that year.

Alfie092

Man United vs Bayern Munich back in 2010. Was 3-0 up at OT, only to end up winning 3-2 but going out due to the away goals rule (4-4 aggregate score). If Rooney wasn't injured and Rafael didn't get sent off I'm confident we would have seen out that game and I believe we would have gone on to win the Champions League that year!

Other painful moments included:

1. vs Porto in 2004 - confident we would have gone on to win the CL had we not conceded that last minute goal!
2. vs Arsenal in 2005 (FA Cup final) - we absolutely battered them throughout that game and as the game was getting closer to the 120 minute mark, I was always worried it would go to penalties and end up losing :(
2. vs Real Madrid in 2013 - Nani's sending off killed the game and while I'm not saying we would have won the CL that year, we would have definitely been in with a shout.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Said it before, but probably Barca '09.

I wouldn't say it broke me - but it was painful. Afterwards, not least. Realizing that we came up short - and that this wasn't a coincidence.

We would've lost that match seven times out of ten (maybe eight) - point being, we weren't the best team in Europe (which we prided ourselves on being at that point - and not unreasonably either).

Anyway - nothing post-SAF for me.

I have - genuinely - never felt we were on the right track since he retired. Meaning - there has never been any chance of a crushing disappointment.

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
2006 CL final where Jens Lehmann lost his marbles. Belletti then handballed the winner and the game was a total disaster.

2008 Eduardo injury after which team never recovered entire season. We were doing very well till that happened. Also this coincide with Arsenal sliding into mid table, it's been 14 years and we have not recovered.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Losing against Italy in '94 and England in '96, but the biggest probably the defeat against Nigeria in '98 in the first match. Especially because I had swallowed all the pre world cup hype and very soon I discovered that we were shit

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Insane that we only have 2 CL titles under SAF.

We just lacked that bit of luck at times honestly.
On the other hand both of your wins were extremely lucky.
2 goals in injury time against Bayern after having been outplayed all game.
1 penalty away from losing to Chelsea.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Losing against Italy in '94 and England in '96, but the biggest probably the defeat against Nigeria in '98 in the first match. Especially because I had swallowed all the pre world cup hype and very soon I discovered that we were shit
I was too young to remember Euro 96 when it happened, but when I watched highlights of the England-Spain QF a couple of years ago during lockdown, my first thought was that Spain were robbed and English were incredibly lucky to get through. A perfectly good goal disallowed plus numerous strong penalty appeals not given. At least Spain broke their June 22nd penalty shootout curse at Euro 2008.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
1999 CL final
2012 CL final

Cant decide which is worse
It’s close for me, but that Chelsea game was worse. The worst!
The 5-1 cup loss to Dortmund was also a lowlight.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Finale Dahoam without a doubt. The stage was set for the most epic party in the history of Munich, we dominated the game to an extreme, late lead, penalty in over time and then a shoot out as a German team against an English team, with Neuer saving the first ... could not have been any more tragic. Instead of said party the city just went silent.
Redemption was had the following year but I never felt as empty as after this game of football. I have not quite cared for a any game football the same ever since.

Barcelona 99 was also tough but in that game we were not dominant and there's just something extremely more likeable about SAF's ManUnited over a plastic club.
I think we dominated 1999 final, I remember we hit the post twice. Though I admit we were not overwhelming favorite going into that 1999 final.
2012 just felt wrong in all ways

caid

I think we dominated 1999 final, I remember we hit the post twice. Though I admit we were not overwhelming favorite going into that 1999 final.
2012 just felt wrong in all ways
You were the better team most of the match. Our midfield was ropy that night. We seem to make a habit of that with Champions League finals.
I thought we were the better team in both group game matches and you were kind of fluky to get a draw in both matches so it felt fair in some round about way to me.

Winrar

We’ve been through all sorts of lows since fergie retired, but I don’t think I’ve ever been as despondent as the aguero moment and I don’t think anything will even come close.

Winning the league a year later was absolutely necessary. RVP hat trick sealing it was icing on the cake.

slored1

That Sevilla game in 2018 had me boiling with rage. Everton in 2019 was horrific as well. Both times I felt they purposely played like shit.

From Fergie era maybe Everton 4-4 the season City won. Annoying as hell.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Michels didn't want Cruijff as our coach in 1990. Van Basten still thinks it's because he was afraid that Cruijff would win the world cup and eclipse him. The team actually voted and overwhelmingly chose Cruijff, but Michels went with Beenhakker anyway.

There's always been these lingering rumours that Michels was a useful idiot in 1974 and Johan Cruijff was actually the sole architect behind Totaalvoetbal (not sure why I'm capitalizing this).
I mean, i've heard apocryphal stories of Michels genius basically boiling down to getting battered by Happel's Feyenoord and going "that's it, from now on we play like them"

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
United away in the 2011 UCL. I mean we deserved to lose but that appeared at the time to be the old guards last chance at that trophy up in smoke.

Thankfully fate had other ideas.
Man that United team was nothing special — aside from Rooney, I don’t know how they beat us. But if we had made it to the final, Barca would have absolutely sliced us apart. I’m sure of it. Carlo wasn’t really the type to park a bus, play pragmatic sure, but we would have been exposed eventually. Desperation and resilience got us through Barca the next year.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
City FA Cup where Berbatov missed 2 easy chances. That's when you properly got the feeling they're here to stay.

The games where they smashed us have always been annoying. When they were a small club we were streets ahead but we still never smashed em 5-0,6-0 or 7-0.

always_hoping

Full time whistle on the 19th of May 2013 against West Brom. Alex waving goodbye to the United support and the good times officially over.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Man that United team was nothing special — aside from Rooney, I don’t know how they beat us. But if we had made it to the final, Barca would have absolutely sliced us apart. I’m sure of it. Carlo wasn’t really the type to park a bus, play pragmatic sure, but we would have been exposed eventually. Desperation and resilience got us through Barca the next year.
It was an absolutely horrible season despite finish 2nd (largely thanks to Cech).

The transfer window didn't help matters but Carlo's idea of mixing things up was starting one of Anelka and Kalou and switching them on the hour.

I think in a lot of ways we haven't recovered from that season. The old guard stagnated pretty much all at the same time and we haven't been the same since despite still winning trophies.

ScholesyTheWise

re: the 4-4 against Everton that lead to us losing the title to the berties...

the 0-1 loss against them that made them top of the table at our expense was a real blow,
if only for the fact that when the lineups were published, with J.S Park on the team sheet as our supposed acumen, it was clear as day that we went out of the tunnel trying not to lose, and that this attitude will bite us up the ass.

god I hate thinking of this match. City's win was as unspectacular as they come but meant so fecking much...

big_jeffstar

Cambridge United for me.. that’s when it finally dawned on me that we were a spent force with an awful attitude towards football in general

BorisManUtd

1-6 vs Spurs. Promised myself that day that no game will ever affect me much again, because there are so many things more important in life than football. It's just a game in the end, no matter how much we invest ourselves in it at times.