g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Which game broke you the most?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Never felt stressier watching that City v QPR game. I think it started fairly calm, but the second QPR were ahead, and the impossible seemed on it was just pure horrible sickly adrenaline.
The last few mins were sickening.
And QPR just punting it down field after conceding the equaliser, half hearted pressing as they were safe by then, and that scummer Cisse celebrating with their players after was truly horrible.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Although having said that, most weeks under Moyes were poor.
Just that sheer disbelief at the teams on the team sheet, versus the results, and willing the next game to come round to put it right, as we surely would with such good players...

I think even worse was the revisionism that this team that had cruised a league title just months earlier, were suddenly so crap, which is why Fergie quickly got out, that really does my head in.
I truly believe that no other pro footy manager could have finished lower with that squad.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
2022 has been the low point of the Post-SAF era. The humiliating beltings we have suffered against City and the dippers confirm that the ship is sinking.

Still, if we end up 6th, a better season than 2013-14.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Although having said that, most weeks under Moyes were poor.
Just that sheer disbelief at the teams on the team sheet, versus the results, and willing the next game to come round to put it right, as we surely would with such good players...

I think even worse was the revisionism that this team that had cruised a league title just months earlier, were suddenly so crap, which is why Fergie quickly got out, that really does my head in.
I truly believe that no other pro footy manager could have finished lower with that squad.
On you with that one.
The first season after Fergie was brutal to me, but have gotten kinda numb to it all.
Took the 5-0 and 4-0 thumping by pool to get me that enraged again.

68cob

Arsenal fa cup final.
Me and my brother went out at 2:0 to kick out our frustration in the park. My other brother called out that we'd equalised, but by the time we got in, United had blown it.

Shark

@NotShark
0-5 Liverpool at Old Trafford. No moment under our previous three managers was worse than that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The 4 - 4 with Everton and the Madrid/Nani red card game are two that I still am not over.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
The 4 - 4 with Everton and the Madrid/Nani red card game are two that I still am not over.
That was a long walk back to the boozer after that.

Couldn't even stomach a beer after the game. Unfortunately it wasn't the sickest I'd feel that month.

I will be forever thankful I didn't get Sunderland away. I think it might have broken me, or landed me in clink ha.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
One game that I'm surprised people are not mentioning is that Chelsea game in 9/10 with that offside Drogba goal.
Basically sealed the title for them lot.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I’d take any of the “bad” games in the Fergie era over most of the “good” games post it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
2010 world cup final. With an enormous margin. 12 years later I still refuse to watch Robben miss that fecking chance. Stupid Casillas with his fecking right pinky toe. The recent Ajax - Feyenoord were we lead for most of the game, but still lost in the end also made me considerably mad.

I also remember crying after we lost to Denmark in 1992 with Van Basten missing that penalty. I told my mom, wahhhh I'm so sad we lost, because the next tournament is in 2 years, and I'll be too old to enjoy football then probably :nervous:

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Any random wins or winning runs in the last few years (especially against quality opposition) that acted like nothing better than a sticky plaster over a chasm and thereby resulting in fans thinking we were anything else other than utterly rotten.

locixxx

2008 FA Cup against Portsmouth, treble gone cause of shity ref

Eddy_JukeZ

The Sevilla game under Mourinho and the football heritage speech that followed. Really exposed us as a clown club and gave some hard-hitting truths.
It still annoys me to no end that he wasn't sacked after that post-match presser.

He disconnected himself from the club. Something a manager should never do. He tarnished his image for a lot of his United acolytes that day.

Eddy_JukeZ

The City-QPR game.

It's actually amazing when you think about it now, but QPR literally booted the ball out and just gave it back to City after their equalizer. I hope that club never gets promoted again.

If it's United games only, the Real Madrid game in 2013, Bayern game in 2010 and the 4-4 vs Everton. The CL Final vs Barcelona in Rome hurt too.

Eddy_JukeZ

Another one is Leverkusen in the semis in 2002. Just couldn't score in that 2nd leg to retake the lead.

The chance to play Real Madrid in the CL final at Hampden Park in Glasgow. Winning that potentially would have been amazing.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
2010 world cup final. With an enormous margin. 12 years later I still refuse to watch Robben miss that fecking chance. Stupid Casillas with his fecking right pinky toe. The recent Ajax - Feyenoord were we lead for most of the game, but still lost in the end also made me considerably mad.

I also remember crying after we lost to Denmark in 1992 with Van Basten missing that penalty. I told my mom, wahhhh I'm so sad we lost, because the next tournament is in 2 years, and I'll be too old to enjoy football then probably :nervous:
Ah don't worry, your time will eventually come, I think.... :lol:
At leat you lot will always have 1988.

Eddy_JukeZ

About a dozen CL games.

Dortmund, home and away, total domination over the tie, about 50 shots(no exaggeration) mutiple goals disallowed and woodwork hit, huge chances spurned, and Dortmund won both gmaes with deflected goals. Complete travesty of a tie.

Madrid in 2000, should have retained the CL, were the best team in Europe and allowed a relatively mediocre Madrid team to exploit some naive defending and go on to win the trophy.

Leverkusen.

Porto.

The CL has given us great highs and terrible lows.
Insane that we only have 2 CL titles under SAF.

We just lacked that bit of luck at times honestly.

Even in our 2003 tie against Real, the difference between the two was the keepers.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We do, but ironically, the first tournament I actually remember is WC 1990, which we fecked up completely.
You were one of the favorites I think with 3 ballon d'or winners in the same team, in the end going out to the eventual winners ain't too bad.

Though its funny that your performance is mostly remembered for Gullit spitting out :lol:

frostbite

The bvb on hurts real bad because it was cantona's last chance to do a clean sweep and win a European cup as well.
I love Fergie but I really think he failed to capitalize on our dominance and extrapolate it to europe as I feel we were truly a dominant team in that stretch of 1998 to 2003 .

That Madrid 4-3 game stands out as well, easily the best team in competition m demolished one of the finalists in juve , top the group both times and with the final being in old Trafford be poised to go all the way, yet somehow throw it all away in that idiotic game.
Add the semifinal vs Milan in 2007, 0-3. We had won the first leg 3-2 and the winner was going to play vs Liverpool or Chelsea. I happened to be in Venice, watching the game with Italians, and it was such a disappointing game, a complete capitulation. It was embarrassing.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Add the semifinal vs Milan in 2007, 0-3. We had won the first leg 3-2 and the winner was going to play vs Liverpool or Chelsea. I happened to be in Venice, watching the game with Italians, and it was such a disappointing game, a complete capitulation. It was embarrassing.
We were fecked hard by injuries in that game Kaka simply was rampant and we couldn't deal with him compared to bedrock that was Maldini and Nesta, what a shame.
Would have been so sweet to dispose of the scousers in the final though I suppose the Italians did it for us.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
During that Utd-Chelsea showdown in 2010, wasn't Utd's consolation goal a handball by Macheda? Of course we don't know how exactly the rest of the game would have panned out had the Drogba goal had been correctly ruled out, but it was 1-0 to Chelsea that day in terms of 'legitimate' goals.

On a similar theme, I remember after the Dortmund-Malaga Champions League QF in 2013, when a lot was made of the fact that Dortmund's injury time winner clearly shouldn't have stood as several of their players including the scorer Santana were offside. However the goal that Malaga scored to go 2-1 up before Dortmund's comeback also should have been disallowed for offside.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
During that Utd-Chelsea showdown in 2010, wasn't Utd's consolation goal a handball by Macheda? Of course we don't know how exactly the rest of the game would have panned out had the Drogba goal had been correctly ruled out, but it was 1-0 to Chelsea that day in terms of 'legitimate' goals.

On a similar theme, I remember after the Dortmund-Malaga Champions League QF in 2013, when a lot was made of the fact that Dortmund's injury time winner clearly shouldn't have stood as several of their players including the scorer Santana were offside. However the goal that Malaga scored to go 2-1 up before Dortmund's comeback also should have been disallowed for offside.
My memory is a bit hazy but we were inferior in the first half but much better in the second, also Berbatov fluffed a glorious chance late in i think.

The macheda goal wasn't a clear cut handball I think but must check it again.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You were one of the favorites I think with 3 ballon d'or winners in the same team, in the end going out to the eventual winners ain't too bad.

Though its funny that your performance is mostly remembered for Gullit spitting out :lol:
The whole run up to that tournament was fecked. The big 3 all wanted Cruijff to be our coach, but inexplicibly we went for Beenhakker whom no one wanted, which resulted in non existent team spirit. Going out to Germany may not have been as humiliating as going out to Czech last year, but on paper that might've been our best ever team.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The whole run up to that tournament was fecked. The big 3 all wanted Cruijff to be our coach, but inexplicibly we went for Beenhakker whom no one wanted, which resulted in non existent team spirit. Going out to Germany may not have been as humiliating as going out to Czech last year, but on paper that might've been our best ever team.
Why didn't you lot stick with rinus, hard to get a coach ss good as him.
Your 1974 team might have been better but yeah its pretty close, they at least managed to win a trophy unlike their predecessors.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why didn't you lot stick with rinus, hard to get a coach ss good as him.
Your 1974 team might have been better but yeah its pretty close, they at least managed to win a trophy unlike their predecessors.
Michels didn't want Cruijff as our coach in 1990. Van Basten still thinks it's because he was afraid that Cruijff would win the world cup and eclipse him. The team actually voted and overwhelmingly chose Cruijff, but Michels went with Beenhakker anyway.

There's always been these lingering rumours that Michels was a useful idiot in 1974 and Johan Cruijff was actually the sole architect behind Totaalvoetbal (not sure why I'm capitalizing this).

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Michels didn't want Cruijff as our coach in 1990. Van Basten still thinks it's because he was afraid that Cruijff would win the world cup and eclipse him. The team actually voted and overwhelmingly chose Cruijff, but Michels went with Beenhakker anyway.

There's always been these lingering rumours that Michels was a useful idiot in 1974 and Johan Cruijff was actually the sole architect behind Totaalvoetbal (not sure why I'm capitalizing this).
That just doesn't seem likely at all, surely it would have became apparent if he was truly a useful idiot in the years after.
Also was cruyff himself willing to leave Barcelona to coach the national team instead?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That just doesn't seem likely at all, surely it would have became apparent if he was truly a useful idiot in the years after.
Also was cruyff himself willing to leave Barcelona to coach the national team instead?
That's unlikely actually. As I said, they are just rumours and part of the folklore around Cruijff. Large parts of our country view Cruijff as the footballing equivalent of Jesus Christ, but he was also a bit of a wise arse, arrogant twat who caused arguments where ever he went. In Michel Biography Beenhakker says he didn't really want to do it but Michels told him; "if you don't do it, I'll have to go to Barcelona on my knees and beg, please". So Beenhakker did it for him.
One thing I'm certain of, Johan Cruijff himself was absolutely convinced that he was vastly superior to Rinus Michels in every single way :)

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'd say the two ties (RM and Bayern) mentioned in the OP were spot on for me. We had a strong chance with both of those, yet didn't go our way for either

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's unlikely actually. As I said, they are just rumours and part of the folklore around Cruijff. Large parts of our country view Cruijff as the footballing equivalent of Jesus Christ, but he was also a bit of a wise arse, arrogant twat who caused arguments where ever he went. In Michel Biography Beenhakker says he didn't really want to do it but Michels told him; "if you don't do it, I'll have to go to Barcelona on my knees and beg, please". So Beenhakker did it for him.
One thing I'm certain of, Johan Cruijff himself was absolutely convinced that he was vastly superior to Rinus Michels in every single way :)
That would be the case for most arrogant people but he sure had his reasons to be conceited the way he was .
He was obviously a footballing visionary but I would imagine it being better for your nation if it was a bit less dependent on his idealistic and frankly a bit naive at times ideology , a bit of pragmatism goes a long way, certainly did so in 2010 when that team had no business being there and yet almost won it all.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
About a dozen CL games.

Dortmund, home and away, total domination over the tie, about 50 shots(no exaggeration) mutiple goals disallowed and woodwork hit, huge chances spurned, and Dortmund won both gmaes with deflected goals. Complete travesty of a tie.

Madrid in 2000, should have retained the CL, were the best team in Europe and allowed a relatively mediocre Madrid team to exploit some naive defending and go on to win the trophy.

Leverkusen.

Porto.

The CL has given us great highs and terrible lows.
That was also the tie that convinced Cantona to pack it in. He didn’t track back to cover a midfield runner (can’t remember who) and that’s when he himself realised that the desire and passion had gone.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That would be the case for most arrogant people but he sure had his reasons to be conceited the way he was .
He was obviously a footballing visionary but I would imagine it being better for your nation if it was a bit less dependent on his idealistic and frankly a bit naive at times ideology , a bit of pragmatism goes a long way, certainly did so in 2010 when that team had no business being there and yet almost won it all.
Our 2010 team is a bit underrated really. The front half of our team was absolutely world class with peak Robben, Van Persie, Sneijder and Kuyt (I know I know). Van Bommel and Nigel de Jong were a perfect fit playing behind Sneijder and Stekelenburg somehow turned into Van der Sar that summer. It was only our centre backs that were suspect, though Matthijssen and Heitinga where by no means terrible. Especially Robben was completely unplayable for almost his entire international career and elevated us to a higher level.

It's the 2014 team that had no business nearly making the final with Bruno Martins Indi, Ron Vlaar, Jonathan de Guzman and Daryl Janmaat in the starting eleven.