Which manager left the team in the worst state?

Which manager left the team in a worse state?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Irwin99

Ole unfortunately. Someone mentioned the 3rd place (very lucky, low points total) and the 2nd place (better but Pool and Chelsea in absolute disarray) but it's the mentality he's left behind, the players who can only seem to do well in a counter attack/underdog set up, it's just appalling.

Skills

Snitch
Well there is a context for every single manager, looking our manager jumps, Moyes to LvG, then to JM from LvG, none of them have anything similar style wise, none. Blind plays football under LvG, JM couldnt wait to get rid of him, we extended Afro`s contract under JM, sell him under Ole because he represents non United way in eyes of the fans and guess Ole too. etc
A possession idealist like Louis Van Gaal found use out of Fellaini. Yet we're trying to convince ourselves that Ole's genius brand of football would be held back by him?

Selling him & Smalling was just a cheap way to get easy PR for OGS - and sadly our fanbase is collectively so dim, that it worked a treat.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Woodward.
While I couldn't agree with this more, really what I was asking is at what point we were at our nadir. Less about apportioning blame, more about trying to figure out if (as it currently feels) the team is now in the biggest need of rebuild since SAF left. Or is that just recency bias.

Quinze

he COMPLETELY gave up on the league so he knew we’d have it in the tank to foil the likes of mighty Celta Vigo. He managed his seasons like a coward.
Well, it's not like there's any additional glory to qualifying for the champions league via top 4. Top 4 isn't a trophy.

Moyes because he gutted the backroom teams as well as Mia managing the playing side.

But feck me if it was a photo finish between him and Ole.
He was in charge for like 8 months and spent next to feck all, and we brought part of that coaching team back with Ole, turned out they were also wank.
I hated Moyes time but it’s Ole by some distance.

R'hllor

A possession idealist like Louis Van Gaal found use out of Fellaini. Yet we're trying to convince ourselves that Ole's genius brand of football would be held back by him?

Selling him & Smalling was just a cheap way to get easy PR for OGS - and sadly our fanbase is collectively so dim, that it worked a treat.
Think we sold him few months after extending his contract too. It was clear after that friendly game vs Valencia where he is was mocked by United fans that love to see themself as classy bunch, that they see him as symbol of non United way.

Smithy89

While I couldn't agree with this more, really what I was asking is at what point we were at our nadir. Less about apportioning blame, more about trying to figure out if (as it currently feels) the team is now in the biggest need of rebuild since SAF left. Or is that just recency bias.
Only reason i say this, is due to the fact that 90 plus percent of the signings that man has made have been absolute dross, the contracts he has given out are also an absolute farce.

Fooza

Of course it's Ole , his previous league positions has NOTHING to do with the thread title... " left the team in the worst state?"

This team is in such a state, that the whole team needs to go (bar 1 or 2), and no I'm not over exaggerating if you want to compete with Liverpool and City

Literally a RESET needs to be done here, cultural reset:

New board with footballing people
new manager like ETH
new team of players with the right mentality, hunger, consistency, energy and style like with Liverpool and City

If we have to beat Liverpool and city, we have to better than them, it's the only way. Ole was never going to give us that and his previous league position just masked and extended the bigger problems we're facing now.

MoskvaRed

Ole. Not only are we a mess on the field but many of our players have limited resale value. 130m on AWB and Maguire….

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I personally felt you should have supported jose over pogba. At least Jose fight for team to do well and got angry when players care more about lifestyle than actual football.

R'hllor

Funny, everyone else on the forum said a good coach with 'patterns of play' would have the team top of the league.
Maybe after having some trainings or pre seasons, while clearing NFT players that Ole wasted money on. 3 years of wondering what the feck they doing on training ground cant be fixed in period of season where games were coming thick and fast, also due great coaching under Ole, whole squad was so unfit that they couldnt press more than 20 min in game that was initial style of new manager. So yea, its really funny.

King29

Throw in VDB and James and you're looking at £200m.
If Sancho continues at this rate you can chuck him in as well..close to $300 million down the drain.

Every manager had a part to play in the comedy of errors that got us here but Ole's "rebuild" is the nail on the coffin for me. Ofcourse that's also on the club for trusting 100s of millions of dollars on 1 guy who has minimal experience.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Fergie left us in a mess. Squad that had peaked and needed a proper rebuild.
Moyes left us in a mess. Champions to 7th in under a year.
LVG left us in a mess. Left the squad threadbare. Awful signings.
Jose left us in a mess. Expensive and overpaid divas.
Ole left us in a mess. Expensive and overpaid divas.
Ralf is leaving us in a mess. Yes he hasn't signed anyone but 40 % win rate is horrible. He isn't trying to lay any foundations for the next manager either.

Jose and Ole both comfortably finished 2nd in their final full season before the wheels came off. Only real difference between those two is that caretaker Ole managed to clean up the mess immediately. Current caretaker has failed spectacularly in that regard. Ole is basically taking a lot of excessive heat because his replacement isn't caretaker Ole.

Those thinking Ole was that much worse than the others are just using him as a punching bag. Partly recency bias, partly because they love the 'no tactics just vibes' media narrative. Everything and anything that is wrong, put it on Ole.

The constant in all these situations are the people above in the system. Woordward and Glazers. But this fanbase has never been ready to have that conversation. It's always "manager this, manager that".

Crashoutcassius

Maybe after having some trainings or pre seasons, while clearing NFT players that Ole wasted money on. 3 years of wondering what the feck they doing on training ground cant be fixed in period of season where games were coming thick and fast, also due great coaching under Ole, whole squad was so unfit that they couldnt press more than 20 min in game that was initial style of new manager. So yea, its really funny.
All rubbish excuses for a manager who hasn't had a big managers job in however many years. Is it so hard to accept you were conned by hipster pr that he is a good coach and not just a good director type person

Funny, everyone else on the forum said a good coach with 'patterns of play' would have the team top of the league.
Most people realised we were heading one way under Ole’s management, and that our shit on a stick football was eventually going to catch up on us.
Sadly the covid breakout, mid season take over after a horrendous run of results that annihilated any confidence in the team and then the Greenwood incident made this a car crash of a season.
Many of us wanted so desperately to believe that Ole wasn’t just utterly shite at coaching but ok at recruitment and had at least done that well. It sadly looks baaaaad there too, we’ll see next season though really.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
All rubbish excuses for a manager who hasn't had a big managers job in however many years. Is it so hard to accept you were conned by hipster pr that he is a good coach and not just a good director type person
Its so funny you point to legitimate issues as "rubbish excuses".

If you're going to critique Rangnick, do a better job. Hes far from perfect but the poster pointed out huge problems for any caretaker that does give context.

R'hllor

Rubbish excuses?! Thats how it is, not giving my opinion here, i understand that sacking of Ole must be hard for you, life of a drone aint easy without a mothership. Here is how i know you talking shit, if you had any idea of my stances regarding Ole pre and post his sacking, you wouldnt say that i was conned by a hipster, unlike you, dont have follower mentality.

lawliet354

Has to be Ole. Who knew handing over the keys to someone completely unexperienced in any way shape or form would result in this.

Maguire waste of money
AWB waste of money
DVB waste of money
Pellestri still nothing yet
Amad still nothing yet
Tom Heaton pointless
Alex Telles not good enough
Sancho still has a lot to prove
Dan James has already gone
Varane is injured all the time
Cavani is injured all the time
Bruno is about the only decent signing and he has the capability to frustrate as much as anyone

The cultural reboot was nothing but a load of crap.

Our midfield players today were the same midfield players we put out against Everton when we lost 4-0 to them around 3/4 years ago
And extending Lingard and Mata contract for whatever reason, making the squad incredibly bloated. Absolutely disastrous squad management all around

SAFMUTD

Maybe it's because it's recent but I don't recall being so unmotivated about us. Not even Ten Hag arriving has cheer me up.

We can get rid of all the players for all I care, there's not only single good thing about this season.

The Greenwood disaster, Shaw went from incredible to awful, and I'm not even going to talk about Rashford and Maguire.

Sancho hasn't lived remotely up to the expectations, Varane is always injured, Pogba will leave, I mean maybe I'm focusing only on the negative things but I don't see anything good about this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rangnick shouldn't be in the poll, he's just an interim manager.

Denis79

That's called hope. Who could have believed that his squad was as bad as it was expensive. Ole and his crew couldn't even keep them in shape and Instilled a terrible mentality. feck me it's bad...

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Mourinho left us in a pit. Ole didn’t even leave us in that bad a place. Ragnick has proven to be completely out of his depth though. This squad is still better than the one left by LVG and Mourinho

Smores

Ole has left huge structural and cultural issues. I don't recall the other managers leaving us in this much of a mess.

It's better for your players to hate a departing managing or their philosophy than it is for them to just lose confidence in him and themselves.

Elcabron

Jose left us lukaku, sanchez, Fellaini, Darmian, young. It's Jose

M
Jose and Ole both comfortably finished 2nd in their final full season before the wheels came off. Only real difference between those two is that caretaker Ole managed to clean up the mess immediately. Current caretaker has failed spectacularly in that regard. Ole is basically taking a lot of excessive heat because his replacement isn't caretaker Ole.

Those thinking Ole was that much worse than the others are just using him as a punching bag. Partly recency bias, partly because they love the 'no tactics just vibes' media narrative. Everything and anything that is wrong, put it on Ole.
Nar, Ole’s taking heat because he was fortunate enough to take over a side that recently and deservedly finish a distant 2nd, with 80 plus points. And took over a team that had won a cup double the previous season.

Ole left an utter shit show that most people knew was an utterly false league position, and a squad that could barely remember what a trophy looks like.

To spin that into Ole taking heat because his caretaker wasn’t as good as him is some doing, in his final 22 games with his own fecking squad he managed:

9 losses, 5 draws (including a EL loss) and 7 wins.

Ragnick has been “meh”, absolutely, but still managed in his 22 games:

4 losses, 9 draws, 9 wins.

If “Ole the caretaker” had taken over this squad, we’d be down there with Leicester.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The answer is Ole but only because the club waited until the damage was catastrophic. We were being thrashed regularly.

Vernon Philander

Pleasantly surprised to see the majority realising that Jose wasn't the big problem.

You wouldn't have known that a few years ago; 'the devil reincarnated' wouldn't have been enough to describe him to everyone on here after he left.