Which midfielder do you prefer?

LuckyScout78

With the transfer window closed. And if i was United manager i would more go for 2 CF upfront and drop Bruno as the offensive, creative and complete nr.8

Before Rashford fully fit back and on top form:

Sancho - McTom - Bruno - Pobga + Greenwood - Ronaldo. Over a long run and season. Against parking and tight defend. It will be more benefit for United to have a young CF who stretch the defend up and have a more deep Bruno from the cm to dictate and see and deliver trough and assist passes. Plus ability to score as a nr.8 and offensive cm player.

After Rashford fully fit back. I think United best midfield and attack is this. Play them and let them gel together. Know and understand each others over a long run. Then this is a really good and strong 6 combination and line up:

Sancho - McTom - Bruno - Rashford + Greenwod - Ronaldo. For me this is United best 6 combination and line up. I will and tell McTom to sit back more. To shield the back 4 and break down opponents attack. Helping to keep the cleen sheet. And let Bruno doing the creative cm job. A balance cm duo. Pacey and skillful wingers and wide players in Sancho and Rashford. Then a smart and really good CF in Ronaldo plus a young and sharp CF in Greenwood.

Sum up and conclusion. Internal solution. Like before. If i was United manager. I would drop Bruno down as nr.8. And i can see Bruno as a nr.8. If not this season. Later in his career like Scholes and Bastian Schweinsteiger will drop down deeper as cm player. Still the creative mind and brain of the team.

A peak Bastian Schweinsteiger would make United to win the league. Even playing beside a peak Morgan Schneiderlin. Like this:

Sancho - Schneiderlin - Schweinsteiger - Rashford + Bruno + Greenwood/Ronaldo. This comb 6 will and good enough to win the premier league. BUT. United didnt got a peak Schweinsteiger. Over his period Schweinsteiger was max 90 % of the Schweinsteiger. Plus. Joining a sinking ship United. After Sir Alex retired. No more Scholes, old Giggs. Only had Rooney, Rashford and Martial upfront as attacking options. But still good enough to win FA cup. They were winners.

The time after Sir Alex retiremend. I m calling, rate and category it was a sinking ship period. The United ship was unsteady. Even a world class players alone would struggle to handle that sinking ship. Keep sacking managers. It was hard for new players to made really good impact. Di Maria, Falcao, Henrikt. Many really good players came and struggled. The main reason was. United ship was unsteady as a team. If your goal was top 4 each season. Not 5-10 th places. That were the expecations of the new players. Why we claimed they were struggling. It had relations to United as a team and the managers role.

But the first saviour and angel that lift the red devils up. It was Bruno. The first player that came and could handle the sinking and unsteady United ship. Captain Bruno. And to be really really honest right now. And true fact. Ole would be sacked, IF he and United didnt got and bought Bruno. I am 100 % without Bruno. United ship will still sinking and still be unsteady. It was after the Burnley game. United start to be more consistent and steady in ship world.

Now. If i was United manager. I would ask captain material Bruno for another job and task. Do the nr.8 job as best as you can. And i am 100 % convince Bruno can do a really good job as the offensive and creative nr.8 job too. 100 %. Because i know what that role first demand, playing for the best and top team and if the player have what that role demand. Which Bruno definitely has.

Start to use Bruno as nr.8. And Sancho as RW and Greenwood on top with Ronaldo;)

dinostar77

I think Declan Rice is a prime target and will happen next summer. His ability to screen and sniff out danger will be a good addition to our base in midfield.

If Pogba leaves, no idea what they would do. If we stick to the premise that Ole will continue to use a midfield trio, then the passer, creator, destroyer triumvirate will need a passer. Creator would be Bruno with VDB as backup. Destroyer would be Rice with Fred as backup and leaves mctominay who's none of those really. But maybe bringing in someone like tielemans would fill the 'passer' slot in midfield with mctominay as the backup / alternative.

A total wildcard could be that Utd still buy Declan Rice, but dont buy a close to like for like to Pogba. Pogba is best as a wide midfielder and kingsley coman looks like hes going to run his contract down at Bayern. His ability to play both wings would dovetail nicely with Sancho. Especially if Cavani leaves next summer then greenwood can play backup to Ronaldo upfront.

Anyway all speculation on my part.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Joao Palhinha ;) best CDM option on the market and best value. He is a literal monster in midfield.

Cantonagotmehere

Can Phillips do what we need? I've always liked his play. We just did business with Leeds, so hopefully that would not be an issue. (Though I think he is a lifelong fan?)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I dont understand how Pep can play

B Silva - KDB - Rodri but we cant play

Pogba - DM - Bruno
Because Pep's teams are much better off the ball and hence being positionally strong. Zonal control both on/off the ball helps and if that fails you've got the counter press followed by the tactical foul to fall back on.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'

Because Pep's teams are much better off the ball and hence being positionally strong. Zonal control both on/off the ball helps and if that fails you've got the counter press followed by the tactical foul to fall back on.
If Ole cant make it wont and we need a double handbrake it seems his days will be limited because we will win feck all with McFred.

Mentality Monsters

At the risk of sounding like the grim-reaper, even if we bring in Rice, Bellingham or Touchemeni, does it really matter?

People on here act as if this central-midfielder is the last piece of the puzzle, a player that's going to miraculously transform our play from front to back.

We'll still shit the bed when teams press us. We're still look disjointed when trying to connect midfield to attack. We'll still have zero ball retention.

One player doesn't change that, and I've got a bridge to sell those who think otherwise. All that will happen is the missing piece of the jigsaw will move to another area of the team. It's not any single type of player we're missing. It's a plan for our existing players to follow.

romufc

Pogba - DM - Bruno
Coaching. Simple as that. Everyone knows their role, on and off the ball. Ole has us fooled in thinking that we need 2 trustworthy engines in midfield rather than quality players.

City are one of the best pressing teams and they play with 2 8's and a 6.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Pogba - DM - Bruno
Our CDM is way too old.

He has lined Matic and Pogba deep in a double pivot and Bruno at CAM.

Then there is the tactics/coaching; but we could have played that if we had a young CDM capable of holding his own whilst Pogba and Bruno do their thing - aka why the rumours of Rice started circling about.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we will get Kessie in January - more as a improvement on Fred than as a replacement for Matic - because the old United players from previous managers time is coming up (Martial, Bailly, Fred, Dalot, Mata)

jamesjimmybyrondean

Our CDM is way too old.

He has lined Matic and Pogba deep in a double pivot and Bruno at CAM.

Then there is the tactics/coaching; but we could have played that if we had a young CDM capable of holding his own whilst Pogba and Bruno do their thing - aka why the rumours of Rice started circling about.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we will get Kessie in January - more as a improvement on Fred than as a replacement for Matic - because the old United players from previous managers time is coming up (Martial, Bailly, Fred, Dalot, Mata)
Based on what

KingCavani

Ndidi and there isn’t a close second.

He’s even better than Kante at the defensive work, unparalleled in the league as a force off the ball. Not great on the ball but knows his limitations. You could get away with Pogba playing deeper next to him but ideally he’d have a box to box guy next to him.

Get him whatever it takes.

Bebestation

Based on what
1. We have been linked
2. He is on a free in the summer so will be cheap
3. If I remember right Milan want to sell him in Jan because they want money rather than free transfer of their assets
4. We can't wait until summer to get a CDM; that's just wrong and shooting ourselves in the foot even if it's not exactly the CDM we want, it would be an improvement.
5. We have been linked to Kessie and he is different to someone like Rice - I say that because buying someone like Kessie in January doesn't stop us buying someone like Rice in summer if that is what Ole wants to do (if he is here ofcourse).
6. Played vs US and had a good performance right in front of us.

Also found this online said by him :

“I like the Premier League and in particular the Manchester United, a team for which I dream of playing. Chelsea? Even that is a great club, no one would refuse it, but I dream of United.”

HailtotheKing

Pogba - DM - Bruno
Because Pep drills his players to within an inch of their life. Everyone knows exactly where to stand, where to run. when to run. Practice, practice, practice.
Ole on the other hand...

Imagine Bruno and Pogba in midfield 3, running all over the pitch and totally out of position. Pogba slowly jogging back. Shaw and AWB upfield. The DM would have a heart attack within a week!

PoTMS

Kessie on a free is a no brainer. Although not as talented as Pogba, I think he has all the tools and attributes to be more successful than him in the Premier League.

SirScholes

Ndidi and there isn’t a close second.

He’s even better than Kante at the defensive work, unparalleled in the league as a force off the ball. Not great on the ball but knows his limitations. You could get away with Pogba playing deeper next to him but ideally he’d have a box to box guy next to him.

Get him whatever it takes.
Nope

we need more than a ball winner, ndidi doesn’t help when the issue is ball retention.

jamesjimmybyrondean

1. We have been linked
2. He is on a free in the summer so will be cheap
3. If I remember right Milan want to sell him in Jan because they want money rather than free transfer of their assets
4. We can't wait until summer to get a CDM; that's just wrong and shooting ourselves in the foot even if it's not exactly the CDM we want, it would be an improvement.
5. We have been linked to Kessie and he is different to someone like Rice - I say that because buying someone like Kessie in January doesn't stop us buying someone like Rice in summer if that is what Ole wants to do (if he is here ofcourse).
6. Played vs US and had a good performance right in front of us.

Also found this online said by him :

“I like the Premier League and in particular the Manchester United, a team for which I dream of playing. Chelsea? Even that is a great club, no one would refuse it, but I dream of United.”
I doubt we would spend money on Kessie when we can get him for free

Teja

I agree. One playmaker type like Verratti and one very energetic defensively strong CM who can run all day AND play passes under pressure without starting to misplace 10 yard passes.
Think you still need a DM behind a runner + playmaker. Chelsea run a 3rd CB as a sort of false DM behind Jorginho (playmaker), Kante (runner) - Rudiger is quite aggressive with stepping into the midfield as needed from CB and leaves Silva to mop up behind.

In our team, the equivalent would be a Matic + Fred + Pogba midfield three, but that leaves no space for Bruno in the side.

I think a better model is Bayern's midfield (Goretzka + Kimmich + Muller). Muller is effectively a second forward like Bruno is and Goretzka and Kimmich can do a bit of everything. Alternatively, we can play a 5-3-2 as well and buy a good RWB since those are easier to find than a Kimmich / Goretzka type player.

NoLogo

Think you still need a DM behind a runner + playmaker. Chelsea run a 3rd CB as a sort of false DM behind Jorginho (playmaker), Kante (runner) - Rudiger is quite aggressive with stepping into the midfield as needed from CB and leaves Silva to mop up behind.

In our team, the equivalent would be a Matic + Fred + Pogba midfield three, but that leaves no space for Bruno in the side.

I think a better model is Bayern's midfield (Goretzka + Kimmich + Muller). Muller is effectively a second forward like Bruno is and Goretzka and Kimmich can do a bit of everything. Alternatively, we can play a 5-3-2 as well and buy a good RWB since those are easier to find than a Kimmich / Goretzka type player.
I would argue both have to be rather defensive, if we will stick with the double pivot. So a playmaker more like Carrick maybe instead of Verrati and the tireless partner would ideally be a Kanté clone. Ahead of them there is still Bruno and or Pogba, at least that is how I'd imagine we should get a lot more out of this midfield than we currently are getting. With Fred and McTom we currently play two box2box style midfielders who are both pretty average at almost everything but not excellent at anything and I feel the lack of creativity pared with the lack of tactical cleverness is showing time and time again.

So yes it's like you said, probably the Goretzka + Kimmich model, although they both actually like to venture forward quite a bit.

Borussia Teeth

Pogba - DM - Bruno
I would like to see Pogba and Bruno Infront of a DM but I don't think it's that simple. Unlike Silva and kdb, Pogba and Bruno are very loose in possession so the DM would have to be both a destroyer type with pace and also very technically proficient. Can you think of a DM in this mould? I can't.

Bebestation

The thing I don't get it that everyone says we need a deep lying playmaker & I agree that it should be one of our CDM -

But who the hell is there that passes the ball around? We look at Verrati and Kimmich in awe - but even their younger version shows no resemblance to the players that are available to us.

Bebestation

I would like to see Pogba and Bruno Infront of a DM but I don't think it's that simple. Unlike Silva and kdb, Pogba and Bruno are very loose in possession so the DM would have to be both a destroyer type with pace and also very technically proficient. Can you think of a DM in this mould? I can't.
The reason I think it works though is because of Bruno Fernandes work rate.

His work rate gets him to AM positions and as deep as DM positions. Bruno is everywhere and I feel like that's the work rate that makes up for Pogba's.

CDM has to be a pure shielded like Rice - let him concentrate on protecting the back two behind him and the midfield 2 in front of him. Nothing more and nothing less. Pogba is there as a quantity and quality/creativity whilst Bruno is there for quantity, quality and work rate.

Both aloud to get forward and Both loud to create and take pot shots.
Both start the match along side players like Fred and Mctominay already- so the loss of possesion from creativity shouldn't be increased, it should be reduced since McFred is dropped and replaced by a single shielding player that we'll- just shields and protects from those mistakes anyway. Plus anyone who has watched Rice knows that he recycles possesion very carefully- some think too carefully. Either way, less possesion lost from the current lot being played.

However, it's all looking like it's centred on Pogba's future & United's midfield shouldn't be built around Pogba's; as great as he is.

croadyman

Well Kessie is able to talk to clubs from January so personally would like to see us show some proactive thinking and agree a deal for him for the summer but still look to go in for a Tchouameni/Rice/Philips as well then would have a bit of DM depth

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
May be a little biased here but I think the perfect man for United's midfield is Frenkie de Jong. Not afraid to dribble, calm on the ball and he's creative. Also a decent defender with huge upside and still very young. Barcelona uses him in so many ways that are not in his best interest and I've seen reports today about huge criticism from the Barca camp towards him that he doesn't bring enough in the stats department. He shouldnt be a stat machine. He's supposed to be a number 6. IMO he should leave Barca, it would be better for both sides. If we could land him, he would be an enormous boost to our midfield, and besides that, an actual football player.