Which midfielder do you prefer?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I look at Jorginho and think that type of tempo setting ball player is just as important as a traditional CDM. I then look at the quality of Barella and Locatelli on the ball, their ability to press and most importantly their willingness to accept the ball and want the ball. It’s been a long time since we have had a centre midfielder that dictates a game, demands the ball, shows up when we need someone to take the ball in tight areas and get us out. Obviously Veratti but that’s just not going to happen.
I'm a big fan of Jorginho. He would be perfect next to a Fred. That's dreamland though.

Bellingham and if that's considered fantasy land then my third option would be Ndidi

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
There are quite a number of decent options that will improve us - Kessie, Touchmani, Phillips, that guy from Leipzig. It just depends on whether we want a box to box player or a holding player and how much we are willing to spend in January.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Tielemans has only 1 year left on his contact in the summer.

He is one of the few CM left in the PL who can chip in with a decent amount of goals and assists.

Last edited:

Udmaster

It depends on the kind of midfielder we want.
We currently have two low quality box to box midfielders in McFred and an aging defensive midfielder in matic
So we need a deep lying playmaker and a hard tackling defensive midfielder or a defensive box to box midfielder.

I will go for bissouma, he is a box to box midfielder but him in a double pivot will give us steel and energy, we will not be bullied in the middle of the park.
If we cant get bissouma, lets go for Mady Camara(a cheap valuable and quality midfielder)

For deep lying playmaker, lets use Pogba plus some fees to get verratti, its obvious that he wants a new challenge,
Real Madrid has modric and kroos , so they may not be interested in veratti.
If we cant get verratti, Lets go all out for Tielesman.
We really need his technical ability and passing prowess in midfield

LuckyScout78

I still prefer a world class creative cm player. Or cloest to that level as possible.

City have 5 reallly really good ball players. Against United 4. Over a long season. I think the manager who want to score most and most offensive. Want to dominate more. End up as winner.

City started against Leeds: Benardo, Bruyne, Foden, Mahrez and Grealish. How can you or any team take the ball from those 5 guys? They are so good and quick with the ball. If you want to become better than them. They have set the standard and team to catch up.

United only have Bruno, Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo. United need a player deeper from the field to feed and connect with those 4 attacking ball players upfront. A young and on his with the ball Ronaldo would help a lot. But Ronaldo is clearly not there anymore. And cm combo McFred are better without the ball. As ball winner. Against team United shall dominate. Like City. Go out more offensive and attacking minded with a really good creative and ball player cm player.
Pobga is inconistent and injury really often. That is where United biggest problem is.

Not world class level yet. But realistic and closest to top level. On the creative part is.

Right now im considering two names.

+ Fabian Ruiz. From Napoli and Spain. 1996. MV . 45 mill Euro

+ Tielemans. Leicester and Belgium. 1997

I think and believe one of those 2 above will link up really well with United attacking 4. Both of Fabian Ruiz and Tielemans are really good and precise with the ball. Both short and long pass combination. United simply need to create more clear bigg chances more oftena and consistent.
The reasons of the problmes are mentioned above.

Ogaranya

Bissouma, Boubacar Kamara, Mady Camara, Tchouameni.

Two from this list will improve us greatly

NoPace

I still prefer a world class creative cm player. Or cloest to that level as possible.

City have 5 reallly really good ball players. Against United 4. Over a long season. I think the manager who want to score most and most offensive. Want to dominate more. End up as winner.

City started against Leeds: Benardo, Bruyne, Foden, Mahrez and Grealish. How can you or any team take the ball from those 5 guys? They are so good and quick with the ball. If you want to become better than them. They have set the standard and team to catch up.

United only have Bruno, Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo. United need a player deeper from the field to feed and connect with those 4 attacking ball players upfront. A young and on his with the ball Ronaldo would help a lot. But Ronaldo is clearly not there anymore. And cm combo McFred are better without the ball. As ball winner. Against team United shall dominate. Like City. Go out more offensive and attacking minded with a really good creative and ball player cm player.
Pobga is inconistent and injury really often. That is where United biggest problem is.
Yeah, someone like Kovacic who wants the ball and can dribble and pass his way out of problems would be a godsend here.

He's not similar to Kovacic, but nobody ever mentioMikal Merino leads Sociedad on Whoscored, has 11 caps for Spain the last 2 years, went to Newcastle once upon a time and would seem like a nice fit in the 4-2-2-2 as a deep passing type. Signed til 2025 though so might cost an insane amount. Can't be more than a couple guys who've played as well deep in midfield the last 2-3 years on clubs that will sell if they get a good offer.

Lemon Moon

We need a couple if we're losing Pogba & Matic.

I'm only dreaming but would love Ndidi & Tielemans

Silas

Caqueret and Kamara would be nice. Not seeing anyone linked to the former sadly

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Caqueret and Kamara would be nice. Not seeing anyone linked to the former sadly
Caqueret is the player I'm most interested in the French footballing sides.

Just seems like a Verrati type of situation where you might have to get him young.

Fts 74

Konrad Laimer anyone?
Don't know too much about him if I'm honest heard him mentioned though.

Jibbs

Tielemans, Neves, Rice, kelvin. Any two of these 4.

MrSingh2002

Rice, Tchouameni, Neves or Bellingham.

That's the minimum calibre of player we we should be going for.

Tchouameni and Bellingham first choice maybe

Rice and Neves second choice

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Reports from France that Pogba is leaving. Means, a midfielder is definitely coming. Who do you think would be a right fit for us ?
I hear that Donny Vanderbeek fellow is pretty good in midfield. He finished 12th in ballon d'Or voting just a couple of years ago and apparently he's available. He'd look great in our midfield. Much better than any other option we have...

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Been watching a lot of Inter Milan this season, and Hakan Calhanoglu has been the stand out player in their midfield. He really is a complete central midfielder, and just getting to his prime.

The guy is a menace from outside the box with his perfect shooting technique. He would instantly fix out set pieces as well.

Inter seems to be a selling club at this point, so I guess he would be attainable. He shares agency with Wan-Bissaka, and those feckers owe us one for those 55 million pounds haha

Last edited:

Satsuma United

We already have a great midfielder in Donny VDB and i truly believe we can sign the rest in 2 transfer windows.

We would have a midfield that would dominate Football for years.

-------------Rice

Bellingham----Donny

reddevilz007

We already have a great midfielder in Donny VDB and i truly believe we can sign the rest in 2 transfer windows.

We would have a midfield that would dominate Football for years.

-------------Rice

Bellingham----Donny
McFred is set to be our starters for the rest of the season. We’ll be missing the last Europa League spot, then signing any world class will be extremely difficult.

AneRu

I want physical dominance and technique so if it was up to me I'd go for

-------Bissouma---Rice

-----------Bruno
with Bruno having instructions to play more as a midfielder and pick his moments.

Rutan

We need two over the next two windows and in my mind it should be Tchouaméni/Rice and De Jong/Bellingham. Any of these would move. The price would be high but totally worth it to fix this issue for at least the next six seasons. And we still have Garner, Galbraith, and Levitt, and I'm sure at least one of them will make it here.

AneRu

We need two over the next two windows and in my mind it should be Tchouaméni/Rice and De Jong/Bellingham. Any of these would move. The price would be high but totally worth it to fix this issue for at least the next six seasons. And we still have Garner, Galbraith, and Levitt, and I'm sure at least one of them will make it here.
Two windows is too far away, we are now ten years from our last genuine title challenge and we have a team which, if the additions are made, can compete next season so we need another £150m window where we buy a starting DM, a complete box to box CM and a RB. Anything less is pretty pointless and will leave the team short and propel the toxicity in the dressing room (if we had won the EL in the summer this squad would have been spurred on). Next season we need to create a team that will give players, the manager and fans confidence and belief which we won't do by continuing with Ole's slow motion rebuild where you buy one key player per window.

Bestietom

Ruiz, Zakaria, Tchouameni, Kamara, Kessie, Haidara.
Any two of these lot. One would do this month.

GueRed

Rice for me.
Talented with the potential to be world class, has the physicality and is a leader.

The other options honestly I havent seen enough of.

Bellingham and De Jong on paper look really good...

Scriblerus

If I think of really top-level central midfielders that we've bought in my time as a supporter, three come to mind straight way; Crerand, Robson and Keane. In each case we paid a (then) high transfer fee for someone who was already dominating matches for their club, not doing a middling decent enough job or showing potential. That's the level we need to go for now. Rice would do it.

Reactions: oates

Rocknrolla69er

Someone with a high pass completion and makes a high percentage of progressive passes not the safe 2 yards side ways ones.

Someone with positional intelligence and physicality.

Looking at Tchounami, Haidara, Kamara

Relfy

Rice is an obvious choice and for good reason, but I just cannot see West Ham letting him go for anywhere close to a sensible fee. He'd have to run his contract down considerably for the price to be worthwhile.

Tielemens is a player I have liked for while, and I had hoped we would have got him in before his move to Leicester. The lad can play. Coming up to the last year in his contract, so I think it would be possible to get hold of him. He would improve our midfield right away and Prem proven quality.

Bissouma is being linked with Villa and is away at AFCON. Villa might be a sensible step in his career. I've not seen much of him to comment on his ability or potential. Brighton to Villa and then on to a bigger club appears sound progression however.

Apart from that I don't know. I don't watch as much European football as many on here. No idea about this Haidara lad from Leipzig, or whether there is anything in that story other than the fact he plays for a club Rangnick used to work at? Seems familiar to when LVG was in charge and everyone Dutch was suddenly on the brink of joining us :lol:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This winter: Neves (40m), Sakaria (6m)

This summer: De Jong (65m+) Tchouameni (55m+)

We should play with 3 midfielders from the above 4.

Just spend big on midfielders, and replace everything we have now (McFred, Matic, VDB etc). We need a whole new midfield with complete new approach, to have any chance to challenge the top again.

Last edited: