Which midfielder do you prefer?

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I suspect we may have to pay 10m to Jones so he can go away rather than someone paying us a 5m fee.
Jones is not that bad, not any worse then money of the CBs that play outside the best 10 teams in PL. Problem for us is his injures and salarys. If he is still interested of playing football rather then not even being on the bench here he will accept a lower salary and to to exempel Brighton who could need a leader in theirs back 4 now they found someone who was willing to pay the tremendous amount of 60m euros for Ben White who had one okey season in PL and one good season in the Championships. But that is Arsenals problem and Brightons jackpot! We got out CB, that some Arsenal fans claims is not as good as White for 33.33% cheaper.

As I said, Jones without injuries, and after 3-4 months training then regular playtime would be a great addition to many teams from place 20-12 i believe. And the best think would if we could find a team that are willing to take over his contact that he has 21 months left on, with a salary of around
300k per month. 21*3=6.3m so just to get him of the team for free would save us more then 5m. He is worth around 50k per week of health for a team like Brighton who has the money now and needs a leader, someone that has a lot of PL experience since the don't have it and he still only 29, so if he stays fit he can easily play 6 more years.

We had so high expectations on Jones when he arrived that he had failed here before even getting to Manchester, Sir Alex quotes about him when he joined from Blackburn are still going through my mind Everytime someone mentions Jones or i see meme of him, specially that one when he is slide tackling but with his head. I can't believe he someone through everything, has stayed here for around 10 years, 5 trainers, like 4 new teams we have built, everybody has been sold, left, retired or whatever but Jones got a new contract 2019 for what? If someone can explain it for me, i will forever be grateful because that the most awkward thing we have made in decades, at least the almost 30 years I've been following United. And of all coaches it was OGS who did it, even more strange since he is standing for the new United in some way, and he choose to keep Mr Phil Jones.

DeeDee7

I don't see how we are going to fit another midfielder in the squad let alone understand why the club would. Unless Pogba or VDB is being sold now, surely we are not buying a midfielder. 2 spots covered by Pogba, Fred, McT, Matic and VDB plus some highly rated youngsters. Whether it's an improvement or not you cannot justify 7 midfielder for 2 spots.

Rauður Djöfull

Fifa/Football manager in me says Camavinga for funs but I really think Ndidi is the final piece in the jigsaw after Varane signs

NoPace

I'm not American, but when I've see him as a 6, Tyler Adams looks mobile and tenacious enough to break up play at a really high level, could see him becoming an N'Didi level player with pace instead of length as his uh superpower. Not sure about his passing, but if we're talking a pure #6 to mop up while Bruno and Pogba/VDB play as a 6, there's a player in there.

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't see how we are going to fit another midfielder in the squad let alone understand why the club would. Unless Pogba or VDB is being sold now, surely we are not buying a midfielder. 2 spots covered by Pogba, Fred, McT, Matic and VDB plus some highly rated youngsters. Whether it's an improvement or not you cannot justify 7 midfielder for 2 spots.
Exactly why the "sell to buy" instruction was apparently given, but it seems that we are holding onto all of them, plus Mata, so I don't really see when these 'highly rated youngsters' will be getting get any serious game time anyway.
When does Hannibal get a start if you have Lingard and Mata in the squad both being paid about £100k per week? Plus VdB who got hardly any playing time last season?
For me, that group of midfielders is inconsistent and quite limited in what it can offer. It needs serious improvement.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Exactly why the "sell to buy" instruction was apparently given, but it seems that we are holding onto all of them, plus Mata, so I don't really see when these 'highly rated youngsters' will be getting get any serious game time anyway.
When does Hannibal get a start if you have Lingard and Mata in the squad both being paid about £100k per week? Plus VdB who got hardly any playing time last season?
For me, that group of midfielders is inconsistent and quite limited in what it can offer. It needs serious improvement.
I suspect it is also is due to the fact we have already spent 110 million have the highest wages bill in the county and have lost around 200 million over the period of the pandemic and everything we spend is basically just spent as debt.
So more than likely we just don't have any more money unless we sell.

Ikon

I don't have a problem with the "sell to buy" instruction, but as a club we need to actually have the desire to move players along, and I'm not seeing any evidence of that yet.
Of course, its made so much more difficult because of the ridiculous wages and contracts that are handed out to fringe players.
Ironic that these contracts are handed out by the same individuals that also insist we must sell to buy... :rolleyes:

Bestietom

I don't have a problem with the "sell to buy" instruction, but as a club we need to actually have the desire to move players along, and I'm not seeing any evidence of that yet.
Of course, its made so much more difficult because of the ridiculous wages and contracts that are handed out to fringe players.
Ironic that these contracts are handed out by the same individuals that also insist we must sell to buy... :rolleyes:
Exactly, there was and still are players we could sell with offers/enquiries already received and refused.

RedKnight88

Tier 1: Frenkie de Jong, Joshua Kimmich, Pedri, Leon Goretzka, Marco Verratti, Koke,
Tier 2: Declan Rice, Manuel Locatelli, Youri Tielemans, Wilfried Ndidi, Nicolo Barella, Saul, Fabian Ruiz,
Tier 3: Eduardo Camavinga, Ruben Neves, Aurelien Tchouameni, Renato Sanches, Yves Bissouma, Florian Neuheus, Marcelo Brozovic
Tier 4: Joao Palhinha, Ryan Gravernberch, Teun Koopmeiners, Daniel Braganca,

Looking at that list. There's only a couple i really want. But, this is not FM so, I'd be happy with a Neves, Camavinga

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
There are further issues, I mean the fact that football is pretty broke right now, Only really the premier league has any capability to spend, and they're mostly doing it by increasing debt. But yeah we definitely have a problem of too many players won't earn what they are earning here elsewhere. But even without the wage issue, this is not is an awful summer to try and raise money from transfers.

In fairness to the powers that be, currently, we have spent more this summer than any other club in the world. Maybe City will blow us away if they sign Kane, but we can't really grumble about transfers.

If Lingard and a few others we may get a fee for manage to go it would be nice if we can look into the DM position, but really as fans, I think we should be pretty satisfied with our spending this summer.

Andrew7582

There are further issues, I mean the fact that football is pretty broke right now, Only really the premier league has any capability to spend, and they're mostly doing it by increasing debt. But yeah we definitely have a problem of too many players won't earn what they are earning here elsewhere. But even without the wage issue, this is not is an awful summer to try and raise money from transfers.

In fairness to the powers that be, currently, we have spent more this summer than any other club in the world. Maybe City will blow us away if they sign Kane, but we can't really grumble about transfers.

If Lingard and a few others we may get a fee for manage to go it would be nice if we can look into the DM position, but really as fans, I think we should be pretty satisfied with our spending this summer.
The club is too soft with players like Lingard, Ole needs to have a word and tell the guy in no uncertain terms, ''You are not playing a single minute this season if you stay''. Instead of doing that Ole will put his arm around him and the club will end up giving him a new deal.

CH23

Tier 1: Frenkie de Jong, Joshua Kimmich, Pedri, Leon Goretzka, Marco Verratti, Koke,
Tier 2: Declan Rice, Manuel Locatelli, Youri Tielemans, Wilfried Ndidi, Nicolo Barella, Saul, Fabian Ruiz,
Tier 3: Eduardo Camavinga, Ruben Neves, Aurelien Tchouameni, Renato Sanches, Yves Bissouma, Florian Neuheus, Marcelo Brozovic

Looking at that list. There's only a couple i really want. But, this is not FM so, I'd be happy with a Neves, Camavinga
Excellent list but Koopmeiners shouldn't be on it. That guy will not be able to cope with the pace of the Premier League.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The club is too soft with players like Lingard, Ole needs to have a word and tell the guy in no uncertain terms, ''You are not playing a single minute this season if you stay''. Instead of doing that Ole will put his arm around him and the club will end up giving him a new deal.
By all accounts, Lingard is a fairly popular member of the dressing room, I don't imagine that would create great club morale. Also as far as we know no bid has come in for him anyway and even if it does it isn't likely to finance a midfielder by itself.

So I don't think getting Ole to go round trying to force players out of the club is a good way to go, one of the things Ole has done best is creating a positive dressing room, do we really want to risk upsetting that for a slight increase in possibility we may raise some funds?

Personally think we just need to be a bit more realistic as fans we have spent 110 million, signing 2 really great players, that's a great summer! Yes, a midfielder would be a loverly cherry on the top, but we don't want the club to spend more beyond its means than it already is doing and we can't force other clubs to give us money or players to leave.

UpWithRivers

Mourinho tried that with players. Players rule these days. Either the manager does what they say or they bring them down.

Mr Smith

A lot of those aren't really defensive midfielders; most are #8's that would be poor fits at the base of midfield. And as you allude to, many are utterly unattainable. As i mentioned in another thread, I think a fairly expedient option at this stage would be a cut-price offer to PSG for Parades or Gueye, who need to sell players after the Messi deal.

Hammondo

They are not even the same type of midfielders.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam

Bit of a random list.. There are so many different types of players in here..

Plus, how is Gravenberch in the same tier as Koopmeiners haha?

RedKnight88

A lot of those aren't really defensive midfielders; most are #8's that would be poor fits at the base of midfield. And as you allude to, many are utterly unattainable. As i mentioned in another thread, I think a fairly expedient option at this stage would be a cut-price offer to PSG for Parades or Gueye, who need to sell players after the Messi deal.
They are not even the same type of midfielders.
Want to include Casemiro in your tier 1:)
My bad guys, didn't read the thread OP :D
Also for Gravernberch, i'd still rank him as unproven being in Dutch league.

croadyman

Personally think it's really hard to tell if we need more of a holding DM or more of a DLP until we play a team who just sit in

jesperjaap

Camavinga or Bissouma for me. DIfferent to what we have, both have good feet and technique and can tackle so can fit in to differnt roles in that midfield.

Disagree with others saying we are over loaded. We are over loaded stil with centre backs but signed Varane, wingers but signed Sancho....its about improving the quality and somethign different.

I dont class Pogba now as a cm, he should be on the left or in the Fernandes role when he is rested, NOT in a double pivot. Matic is more than likely here for his last season and experience and VDB hasnt justified his place so far in the few opportunities he has had. SO really there is still nobody threatening or competing with McFred to start and there is plenty of argument to suggest they arent the ideal starting pair game in game out over a season.

Personally I think its crucial we add another player there, preseason bar a centre back I thought it our biggest priority personally

jesperjaap

I suspect it is also is due to the fact we have already spent 110 million have the highest wages bill in the county and have lost around 200 million over the period of the pandemic and everything we spend is basically just spent as debt.
The wage bill is a problem for moving players on. We should be sellign even if not buying. Our squad is seriousloy bloated and its our own fault for givng out contracts to some older players we shouldnt have let alone the actual bills of others.

Dont have to name players but there are an obvious 7/8 should be getting moved on and half of them we dont even appear to be trying to do so. We must have a squad of about 30players now includign some of the youngsters, its far too big and shouol dbe trimmed

MadMike

In order of preference...

1. De Jong
2. Kimmich
3. Locatelli
4. Kessie
5. Neves
6. N'Didi
7. Camanviga

RealBarcelonaUnited

we are so close to a team that can challenge for the league.
really hope we sign one of neves/camavinga/saul this window (realistically) or if we are allowed to dream and build a world class side (Locatelli/Goretzka/de Jong)

Josep Dowling

Not going to happen but for me Phillips, Rice or Ndidi. Allows us to play Pogba and Bruno in midfield so we can have proper wingers.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The wage bill is a problem for moving players on. We should be sellign even if not buying. Our squad is seriousloy bloated and its our own fault for givng out contracts to some older players we shouldnt have let alone the actual bills of others.

Dont have to name players but there are an obvious 7/8 should be getting moved on and half of them we dont even appear to be trying to do so. We must have a squad of about 30players now includign some of the youngsters, its far too big and shouol dbe trimmed
Of it would be idle to trim the squad, but we can’t force players to leave clubs to buy the players. Never mind getting rid of enough players to justify bringing in a midfielder.

jesperjaap

Of it would be idle to trim the squad, but we can’t force players to leave clubs to buy the players. Never mind getting rid of enough players to justify bringing in a midfielder.
Of course and the salaries these players are on make it difficult. But "getting rid of enough" players. There are quality midfielders we can add for about £10-15m up to £40-45m.....bar the highly unlikely deals for a Barella or no chance Kimmich type signings, I see all of out potential targets being under £50m...considerably. Lingard and one other signs the majority of them

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Fred played DM yesterday, he had a rather poor performance, especially in the first half the game seemed to pass him by. McTominay on the other hand had a very good game both offensively and defensively.
Fred is not suited to be the last man in front of the defensive line, this is a mistake and I hope we're bringing in somebody else for that role.

Not going to happen but for me Phillips, Rice or Ndidi. Allows us to play Pogba and Bruno in midfield so we can have proper wingers.
Seriously, even after yesterday's game this idea of playing Pogba and Bruno in midfield is not dead? I can't wrap my head around this. Not to mention the fact we don't have proper wingers.

Borussia Teeth

None of these players would allow us to play Bruno and Pogba in midfield; not in any big games, anyway.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Fred played DM yesterday, he had a rather poor performance, especially in the first half the game seemed to pass him by. McTominay on the other hand had a very good game both offensively and defensively.
Fred is not suited to be the last man in front of the defensive line, this is a mistake and I hope we're bringing in somebody else for that role.

Seriously, even after yesterday's game this idea of playing Pogba and Bruno in midfield is not dead? I can't wrap my head around this. Not to mention the fact we don't have proper wingers.
I don’t think Fred was a DM at all, furthest man forward on a few occasions in fact. Him and McTominay took it in turns going forward while the other sat - that was far from perfect mind.

Fred wasn’t poor nor great. Same as McTominay.

dinostar77

Deep lying Plamaker that can keep the ball, pass and have discipline.
Ruben Neves. Job done. Realistic purchase. Ndidi / Rice will definitely not happen in this window.

Alot depends on if Pogba stays after next summer. Also if Matic stays after next summer and DVB as well.

Josep Dowling

None of these players would allow us to play Bruno and Pogba in midfield; not in any big games, anyway.
In the big games I probably would play McTominay and Fred. That has proved to work. Normally our problem is breaking down the smaller teams. I hate the term low block but that’s what most people say these days. Having Pogba and Bruno in midfield would help that, plus width created by natural wingers.

Borussia Teeth

In the big games I probably would play McTominay and Fred. That has proved to work. Normally our problem is breaking down the smaller teams. I hate the term low block but that’s what most people say these days. Having Pogba and Bruno in midfield would help that, plus width created by natural wingers.
Fair point. I still think we might struggle (be too open) against some of the lesser teams with Pogba and Bruno as eights, though.

MattofManchester

Doesn't seem like Juve are going to get Locatelli.
Perhaps we should inquire? I doubt he wants to remain at Sassuolo forever.

Mentality Monsters

What sort of DM do people even want?

A retreiver of the ball like Kante, Ndidi etc that will win it and give it, and allow Bruno and Pogba to do their thing, or a dictator like Jorginho and De Jong to compliment?

Ikon

Alot depends on if Pogba stays after next summer. Also if Matic stays after next summer and DVB as well.
How can we possibly be thinking of Matic and Mata staying for next season?
They will both be 34, another year older when they are already well past their best.
Surely both would have to retire to the sunshine..??

Also, if Pogba leaves on a Freebie, that's potentially 3 MFs that would need to be signed to replace them, and zero funds coming in from those 3 players...!

cpresc

Bellingham for me, 100%

Rotating with McFred while Whatsapping Haaland from the bench.