Which Players From Today's Game Will Still Be Here In Five Years Time

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Laird will struggle due to AWB, although I like the fact he's more attacking and it could be good to have a defensively astute and an attacking full back to compete for the position.

Garner has got a perfect opportunity to stake a claim for his place with the state of our midfield.

Greenwood is the golden child of this crop and will be here for definite.

Tuanzabe I think will be here, but as a back up.

Levitt I've never seen play before today so I'll reserve judgement on him, even though I enjoyed his performance.

Ones I definitely don't see being here, Chong - it's still early, but he's shown nothing in the chance he has got.

Gomes - think he'll be gone at the end of the season, he's obviously talented, but hasn't shown enough at senior level to warrant what he probably thinks he deserves, both in contract and starting place. (he could start at 10 for us now, but it would be a position we'd still want to improve in summer)

Thiagoal

I think judging any of the young kids at this stage is ridiculous! It’s very rare that a group of players so young get any first team opportunities at a club the size of ours! Every player develops at different rates but what I will say is that for a bunch of kids aged 18 or 19 they are doing bloody well!

I think all of them need time to mature and adapt to the professional game before anyone makes judgements! People dismissing players after less than a handful of appearances need to get off their backs and support them to be as good as they possibly can be! The talent is clearly there and more evident than most players their age group! Give them time

Judas

Open to offers
I couldn't be certain about a single one of them. 5 years is a lifetime in football.

For all we know a few could make the grade to a level so good they've already left the club to join Barca or Real.

simplyared

Greenwood.
I would like to think Gomes but I'm dubious whether he's got what it takes. He's lacking in physique which means he needs to be exceptional to make up for that. Not going to happen I'm afraid.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I don't take pride in all those, i don't.

For these reasons:
1. We lost. It's not about points, but anyone can field 11 youngster on a nothing match and lose.
2. It's just a useless cameo for resting players. Most of the boys hasn't deserve their debut yet, they're just thrown there to fill the number
3. I feel Ole is cheating, he uses this fixture to tick one box (field youth, young players, exciting etc) but does it really serves a purposes for the young uns?
4. When Fergie gives a debut, it ussually means that the boys are close to breaking through, and you can expect his debut as the first of many. With the astana match you know this is just a formality, unless you pull a messi you'll be forgotten again in a few year.
5. Basically it's a charity debuts, not a you earn it debut
...ok

I was just curious to see which players out of those lot could still be here in five years time. I didn't really want to turn this into another thread about how shite everything is. The point of the thread wasn't to discuss the efficacy of fielding such an inexperienced team, it was more to do with how likely it is to see some of these players in the future. It wasn't about "pride", or anything like that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Given Lingard and Jones are still at the club, plenty of them have a chance

simplyared

For these reasons:
1. We lost. It's not about points, but anyone can field 11 youngster on a nothing match and lose.
2. It's just a useless cameo for resting players. Most of the boys hasn't deserve their debut yet, they're just thrown there to fill the number
3. I feel Ole is cheating, he uses this fixture to tick one box (field youth, young players, exciting etc) but does it really serves a purposes for the young uns?
4. When Fergie gives a debut, it ussually means that the boys are close to breaking through, and you can expect his debut as the first of many. With the astana match you know this is just a formality, unless you pull a messi you'll be forgotten again in a few year.
Good post agree with you all the way!

Momochiru

Knowing Ed, he'll give Lingard and Shaw another contract, so they will still be here.
If they continue working hard I think Greenwood and Tuanzebe have a very good chance too.

From the rest Garner, Laird and Levitt are the only ones with a chance.

Eric's Seagull

Knowing Ed, he'll give Lingard and Shaw another contract, so they will still be here.
If they continue working hard I think Greenwood and Tuanzebe have a very good chance too.

From the rest Garner, Laird and Levitt are the only ones with a chance.
I think your right on the Lingard bit and that is something that has been concerning me for a while.

SAFMUTD

They all got a chance, too young to tell at he moment. Except for Chong Im sure he won’t make it here, I dont think he’ll make it at pro level at all, not even eredivise level.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Gomes looks like he might have it, but just doesn't seem to impose himself enough whenever I watch him. Hopefully a late bloomer. Its far too early to write him off.

MasterObiwan

Greenwood will be here next season.

Gomes would to be loaned to championship or league club. It's too early to judge his value. He has enough time to improve.
Tuanzebe could be here next season but i won't surprise if we move to another team next season. He could play limited time because we have many center-backs. He has a chance to stay much longer if he can play as holding midfielder.
I can't find what is Chong's strength. He has to play more times at youth or be loaned.

P.S: Lingard will be here definitely if he wants because no premiership club wants him.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley

For these reasons:
As much as want to call you a whinging shite, I can't disagree with that last bit. Although in fairness a few of the lads took their chance and will have made Ole take notice.

Member 119614

Who knows, probably less than you think though.
I've seen it time and time again. Teenagers being called a death certainty for the future. I'd put more money on those who aren't labelled as wonder kids. Nobody thought the likes of Mctominay, Fletcher, O' Shea, Lingard would be first teamers yet they were/are while the wonder kids like Rossi, Macheda, Wilson, Morrison barely made a dent.

In fact perhaps youth teams and development is redundant for the really big clubs. It's costly with little to no reward because youth players don't have an immediate impact in a clubs' success. Imagine having a 25 man squad, no hundreds of youth players nor coaches, no training centre, no traveling expenses etc. I never quite understood why huge clubs need youth investment, they almost always buy their first teasers anyway...

djembatheking

Jones will be still here, didn`t he sign a 4+1 contract last year, he will probably be battling Lingard for the armband.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Let's be totally realistic - how many of our academy players over the past 15 years have made it here?

Fletcher, Evans, arguably Rashford and Lingard (although Rashford is still very young and the jury is still out on him, and most would have Lingard sold by now). I won't count Pogba as he broke through at Juve and we bought him back years later.

Point is, we tend to overhype our youngsters but very few of them actually make it at United. Most of them will likely have decent careers in the PL and Championship but realistically, it probably won't be here.

Full bodied red

Greenwood looks to have a good chance. And never seems out of place when he plays with the ' Big Boys '

And Tuanzebe - depending on our other CBs and what happens to them formwise and injurywise - looks to have what it takes. But is he better than Fosu-Mensah ?? Not sure we will see both of them five years from now.

Hopefully Shaw will kick on once more - I'm with those who see Williams as, perhaps, another Borthwick-Jackson. A very pleasent surprise but better than Shaw ?? Especially after such a good season last year.

The rest from last night, I don't see anyone with anything who jumps out as a can't fail to make it. But then again, if you'd asked me for my opinion of McT three years ago, I wouldn't have said he'd be a regular starter....

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Greenwood, McT and Tuanzebe for sure. All in rotation status i guess. Gomes? I don't know. I think he will leave for free and be our new Pogba.

Others? I doubt that any of them will be here. It is hard for young players to get a chance in big club. I have soft spot for TFM and Chong but...i am not too confident.

Oh yes, Lingard will be here of course. As captain of young wave.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Given Lingard and Jones are still at the club, plenty of them have a chance
You make a good point. At a high functioning club, we'd be lucky to see 2 remain. Seeing as we accept mediocrity they might all get testimonials.

paulscholes18

Be more surprised if Greenwood and Tuanzebe aren’t here in 5 years time (injuries depending of cause)
Liked the look of Levitt and Laird
Gomes and Garner have a chance. The rest I don’t think will be here in 5 years time

Stacks

Hard to tell as it's not the question of just talent. Don't think anyone expected players like McTominay to be first choice player 2-3 seasons ago and at the same time had players like Wilson, Will Keane, Tom thorpe as bigger chances of making it at United.

From the current squad I would go with Greenwood, Garner, Tuanzebe and Laird. Will be lucky if all 4 of them make it.
Pretty much this. Often the ones with the most talent or hype don't make it here and some unsung player becomes a hero. We were supposed to have a midfield of Cleverley Pogba Ravel Januzaj Wilson up top

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Hard to tell as it's not the question of just talent. Don't think anyone expected players like McTominay to be first choice player 2-3 seasons ago and at the same time had players like Wilson, Will Keane, Tom thorpe as bigger chances of making it at United.

From the current squad I would go with Greenwood, Garner, Tuanzebe and Laird. Will be lucky if all 4 of them make it.
I agree with Greenwood. He is obvious talent and really natural striker. I don't see how he will fail. Tuanzebe i see as 3rd choice option in central defence and even cover for full backs so he also have bright future.
About Laird i don't know much but Garner...well what is the story there? You guys praise him a lot. I didn't watch him in u23 but based on what i saw in couple of games for first team i didn't notice anything special.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
5 years is a long time... Assuming we regain our standards and can compete at the top... I think none is likely.

Playing for this current team is no achievement. We're embarrassing.

Last edited:

sinicalypse

Supports
Woolwich Wanderers
I bet you that the English footy media is still banging the drums for England's Brave Ox 5yrs from now! There probably were articles calling for an £££EXTENSION£££ after his couple'a quality CL outings against the mighty mighty Genk.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Starters:
  • Greenwood
  • Tuanzebe
  • Hopefully Gomes
Squad players:
  • Lingard
  • Shaw
  • Garner
  • Laird
5 years isn't that much for a young team really, a good chunk of them will still be here. Especially with young players seen as promising, they'll be given new contracts to hold them through that period, given loans or multiple chances for things to work out if they show talent. Those above are the most talented (or already more established players) who will be here for a bit and probably play some role. Need depth after all, so if players like Garner and Laird can become serviceable premier league squad players and are happy to be that at United, then why not?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I agree with Greenwood. He is obvious talent and really natural striker. I don't see how he will fail. Tuanzebe i see as 3rd choice option in central defence and even cover for full backs so he also have bright future.
About Laird i don't know much but Garner...well what is the story there? You guys praise him a lot. I didn't watch him in u23 but based on what i saw in couple of games for first team i didn't notice anything special.
Maybe that's the reason, he is very good for U23s and he is just 18. He plays with more freedom for U23s, for first team he is still playing restricted role. Apart from all that, we shouldn't forget he is just 18 year old and CM is probably the toughest position to play as a youngster.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Tuanzebe. Not because I think he's a special talent although I do think he's a good player but more for the fact that we like to accumulate CBs who wouldn't get a sniff in at most other top level clubs.

Gomes was the one who always stood out for me so if any of them were to make it I'd put my money on him. Obviously it's too early to tell but since it's an opinion rated thread I'd say none of the others will make it.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

For these reasons:
I can see why Ole chose to play with so much youth but I can't dismiss anything you say. The Astana game will probably be Oles legacy as United manager which just about says it all really.

Nikelesh Reddy

So i think we can all agree that the most interesting aspect of today's game was the team sheet. The youngest team United have ever fielded in Europe, numerous debuts and probably a few players many on here haven't seen playing for us before.

Personally i thought Levitt played really well and is someone who i haven't seen before. I was obviously aware of him, but I've never seen the kid play the game so that was nice to see. Thought Garner was steady and Laird was good. I have to say, i'm slightly lukewarm on Gomes. Ive watched him a couple of times now and he just doesn't quite do it for me.

Anyway, who out of all those youngsters (no Lingard jokes please!) do you think will still be around the club in the next five years to be part of the first team?
Hard to say really,our midfielders played well but they werent really challenged in the middle of the park.Ethan Laird looked impressive,but if Wan Bissaka keeps improving I”m not sure if he can break into the team.I”m pretty sure that Greenwood will be at the club 5 years from now,hopefully he”ll be one of the best strikers in the league by then...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I will say, out of the youngsters i've seen the most (Greenwood, Gomes, Chong and Tuanzebe), Greenwood looks like the one that could make it here; he's genuine quality.

That's not to say the other haven't got talent, but i can't see Chong hanging around for long. He's never impressed me anytime i've watched him, and as i said in the op, Gomes doesn't do much for me either. Important caveat here is that i don't watch youth football, but i'm not sure how relevant that is considering most of the time what you do at that level and what you do at the top level rarely translates.

lysglimt

Scout

For these reasons:
1. Yes we lost - but we should have won. Chong will score that goal 9 times out of 10. He didn't on the day and it cost us.

3. Does it serve a purpose to let 18 and 19 year olds play against established professionals ? Ehm...in what world would it not serve a purpose ? Why are youngsters loaned out to Championship or League 1 and 2 ?

4. That was not always true.

2007 - we played Coventry at home. In that side was Bardsley, Dong, Martin, Eagles - on the bench was Eckersley. Those boys certainly weren't all close to breaking through.

5. For some that is true - for some it is not. Laird is not far away from the first team in terms of quality - Levitt the same.

lysglimt

Scout
So i think we can all agree that the most interesting aspect of today's game was the team sheet. The youngest team United have ever fielded in Europe, numerous debuts and probably a few players many on here haven't seen playing for us before.

Personally i thought Levitt played really well and is someone who i haven't seen before. I was obviously aware of him, but I've never seen the kid play the game so that was nice to see. Thought Garner was steady and Laird was good. I have to say, i'm slightly lukewarm on Gomes. Ive watched him a couple of times now and he just doesn't quite do it for me.

Anyway, who out of all those youngsters (no Lingard jokes please!) do you think will still be around the club in the next five years to be part of the first team?
Of course it's impossible to say - but from what I have seen : (not counting Tuanzebe as I consider him part of the first-team regulars)

Goalkeepers: Kovar - actually might. He is perhaps the player who has surprised me the most this season. He has taken huge steps in his Development and look an extremely talented goalkeeper. Perhaps the 2nd most talented goalkeeper we have had from our ranks over the last 20 years. If Henderson leaves permanently - I actually think he could be our 2nd choice goalie in 5 years.

Defenders: Laird - depends on the injuries. There have been too many injuries over the last 2-3 years, and he probably can't survive too many more without it halting his development. If he stays injury-free - he could fight AWB for that spot.

Bernard - improved a lot as well over the last 12 months - but I don't rate him as good enough. If he get rid of those 5-6 huge errors every season, he has a chance because physically he is not bad - but I am not convinced he can get rid of them quickly enough

Mengi - talented, rate him at least one level over Bernard - but is he good enough to fight with Tuanzebe ? I don't think so.

Garner - absolutely - he will. I don't even doubt it.

Max Taylor - nope.

Levitt - as a regular player - probably not as I rate both McTominay and Garner ahead of him. But he has the talent to be a important squad-member. Will he be here in 5 years ? 50/50

Chong - doubtful. He is the kind of player who seems very eager to play regularly - but at the same time he hasn't shown enough for the first-team that he deserves it. That is a combination that usually ends up with the player leaving.

Gomes - if he signs a new contract I think he will be an important member of the squad in the years to come. He is good enough.

Greenwood - absolutely - same as Garner

Mellor - no - not a bad player, he is just too limited

Ramazani - before this season I would have said a resounding NO...now I am changing it to doubtful - at least not as a regular. But he could be a squad-player. He offers place and trickery that would be important to have at the end of games. But most likely not

Puigmal - talented - but enough to be a United-player in 5 years ? Also struggling with the fact that there are a lot of players at the same age that is ranked ahead of him. Quite certain he won't be here in 5 years.

Galbraith - not the same passer of the ball as Levitt and Garner, but can shoot really well. My immediate reaction is that he is a bit too light to make it at United.

So:

Garner and Greenwood - yes

Laird, Levitt, Kovar and Gomes - good chance

Ramazani, Chong, Galbraith and Mengi - a small chance

Bernard, Puigmal and Mellor - nope

wolvored

Its nothing to do with the players its who will be the manager. We could be on the 2nd manager after Ole by then. We could have another Mourinho type who likes established older players. We may have better 18-21 players by then better than the 18-21 year olds we have now.
Saying that I think Gomes and Chong will have long gone. Then you have Tuanzebe, Garner and Laird as 50/50. McTom will definitely be here, Williams another, even if only a backup. Greenwood will still have to put some work into his game and depending if we buy a top goalscorer and right winger, might be here. Might have a stronger case if Martial, even Rashford may have moved on by then.
As an aside. The reason Chelsea youngsters look a lot better at similar ages than our youngsters is they have always loaned most of them out. They had 44 out on loan I read somewhere. I know the rules loaning out so many players has changed, but why didnt Utd go down that route? We should loan out as many as we can every season, to give them that valuable experience.

Eric's Seagull

Its nothing to do with the players its who will be the manager. We could be on the 2nd manager after Ole by then. We could have another Mourinho type who likes established older players. We may have better 18-21 players by then better than the 18-21 year olds we have now.
Saying that I think Gomes and Chong will have long gone. Then you have Tuanzebe, Garner and Laird as 50/50. McTom will definitely be here, Williams another, even if only a backup. Greenwood will still have to put some work into his game and depending if we buy a top goalscorer and right winger, might be here. Might have a stronger case if Martial, even Rashford may have moved on by then.
As an aside. The reason Chelsea youngsters look a lot better at similar ages than our youngsters is they have always loaned most of them out. They had 44 out on loan I read somewhere. I know the rules loaning out so many players has changed, but why didnt Utd go down that route? We should loan out as many as we can every season, to give them that valuable experience.
Although I stated previously the players that I think are going to make you have a point there even if they have enough talent to play here. They might not be the type of player that manager "x" wants exemplified by your point in bold.

Also there may be players in front of them and they leave for opportunities for more playing time. They could get an injury along the way and not come back from it properly and be unable fulfil their potential, something I hope never happens to any player not just one of our ones. Their progress might stagnate. They might not have the mental strength to make it here. There are many reasons they may not make it here.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In terms of Gomes, he could be gone very soon anyway due to this contract situation. Although i don't rate him that highly (admittedly, i haven't seen THAT much of him), that would be a disappointing way of losing a talented player.

Eric's Seagull

In terms of Gomes, he could be gone very soon anyway due to this contract situation. Although i don't rate him that highly (admittedly, i haven't seen THAT much of him), that would be a disappointing way of losing a talented player.
Personally I wouldn't like to see Gomes go as I've read a few times that Barcelona may be interested. Being that he comes from the local area and from a United supporting family and that he has been here for so many years, I'm hoping this persuades him to sign a new contract.