Which players would you sell to raise funds ?

copen1945

Romero - free
DeGea - hope to get around £25m but with big wages I'm not sure he will go, though he does need to go to re-discover his form.
Grant - free
Tuanzebe - £15m, he is at an age where he needs games in order to develop. Its a shame to let him go, I really hoped he would make it here but he isn't pulling up any trees at the moment so its best that he leaves. Maybe he can come back one day if he starts to fulfil his potential.
Pogba - £50m We need the transfer fee, he has done better recently but if he wants to go, now is the time too let him.
Dan James - £25m He is a player I think we will want to upgrade on in the summer so I think we can sell for a nice profit.

There might be the odd young player like Levitt or Chong we can sell to raise an extra £10m from.

With the financial crisis, I wouldn't be surprised if our budget would only stand at around £50-£60m without sales but hopefully with them, we can go out and buy a new CB, CM and RW. We might look for a new back up keeper as well for a cheap fee.
In what fantasy world, would a team stump up 25m for James?

siw2007

In what fantasy world, would a team stump up 25m for James?
Probably Leeds, they wanted him first time around and they probably still want him, 25m is not a lot in todays market for an attacking player.

RedIan

Maybe DVB ? Seems a complete waste of £40m given he never plays.

I’d sell Martial but it would indeed cost his fee to then replace him.. but I’d still replace him as he is far to inconsistent and lacks a winning mentality..

Dan James and Jesse . I’d also sell Lindelof and upgrade with a faster more dominant CH

Roboc7

Dan James could be sold for what we paid or slightly more and if Lingard does well at West Ham they would be able to pay 15-20m for him. But if Mata leaves I can’t see us letting all three go in the same window.

Likes of Chong and Perreira will be loaned or sold, not for much though. If we’re buying a CB then makes sense for Tuanzebe to be sold, might about 15m for him.

It doesn’t make sense to keep DDG and Henderson next season but with financial crisis not a good time to sell so maybe one goes on loan.

Then there’s Pogba, without financial crisis we’d easily get £50m but impossible to know what teams will be willing or able to pay.

wolvored

Think we will struggle to get big fees for anyone. Pogba might go but no one will offer more than £30 to £35 mill for a player in the last year of his contract and clubs losing money due to Covid. Lingard could potentially go to West Ham, but once again £15 mill will be a good fee to get. Some we could give away. Jones, Mata, Romero won't command any fees. Think if we shift 3/4 on that will be it. Incoming will probably be a CD DM and maybe a striker. Due to Covid not a lot will happen.

Red00012

Grant - release (doesn’t play so promote Kovar to 3rd choice)
Romero - release (doesn’t play and wants to leave)
Jones - release (doesnt play as injury prone)
Mata - release (rarely plays, give minutes to pellestri)
Andreas P - 5m (on loan anyway)
Lingard - 15+m (rarely played. Pellestri take minutes)
Pogba - 45+m (too inconsistent and wants to leave. Replace with grealish)
James -18m (Diallo has arrived)
Chong - 2.5m (no where near good enough)
Williams- 10m (bring Dalot back from loan)
Tuanzabe - 20m (include in deal for grealish)

thats 120m in fees + salary savings
That’s 11 players you have listed as moving on in the summer , granted they need to go but highly unlikely it’ll be done in one summer .

It wouldn’t shock me if Pogba signs a new contract

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That’s 11 players you have listed as moving on in the summer , granted they need to go but highly unlikely it’ll be done in one summer .

It wouldn’t shock me if Pogba signs a new contract
I figure 5 of those will be going anyway (grant, Romero, Mata, Andreas P, Chong).

a few of them maybes (lingard, Jones) and the others are longshots but I would sell to raise funds.

I hope we cashin on Pogba and don’t give an extra big contract, he’s only playing well in the lead up to contract talks again so I’m pessimistic

OleTheGreat

Pogba seems to be the obvious one. He is at the end of his contract, we don't necessarily need him and he is probably worth around 50m.
We don't need him is an overstatement. He's been good lately and I think in his right mind he's one of the best. I agree that he's not always in the right mind and we won't lose a lot if he decides to move but I think he can stick around a couple more years and if we bring in a proper RW, DM and a CB; he can be amazing in attack.

dinostar77

I think pogba will sign a new improved contract. Madrid and Juventus simply dont have the money to fund a move for a player like him.

Ramos has apparently been kicking off in Spain about rumours that Madrid were going to bid for Mbappe this summer over £120m. Which is understandable. Tell Madrid players you need to take paycuts to keep the club afloat they spend over £100m on a single player (who will probably want to be made the highest wage earner as well at Madrid).

Woodward is gonna have to take a hit on the deadwood if he wants to get them out. So little money available. Lets see if situation changes by the summer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We don't need him is an overstatement. He's been good lately and I think in his right mind he's one of the best. I agree that he's not always in the right mind and we won't lose a lot if he decides to move but I think he can stick around a couple more years and if we bring in a proper RW, DM and a CB; he can be amazing in attack.
It was posted a while ago when he wasn't playing much.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Why do i keep seeing Grant on people's list?

Seriously, do you guys understand his role in the squad?

He's a backup backup backup keeper in the absolute worst case scenario, and he's happy with it.
Also seems like a nice lad.
He's not going to be sold or given away to make space. Who else can we get in for that role?

red4ever 79

Pogba - wants to leave clear as day with his agent's announcement
Mata - Contract up in the summer not been offered a new one
Dalot - Will be back in the summer not part of Ole's plans
Perriera - Same as Dalot
Lingard - Same as Dalot
Romero - Contract up in the summer will leave

Thats 6 that could potentially go. You could throw Jones in there but no one will take him.

BFernandes

He's a backup backup backup keeper in the absolute worst case scenario, and he's happy with it.
He's not going to be sold or given away to make space. Who else can we get in for that role?
Maybe he's not needed at all if he's that far down the list?

He's on 30k a week. By the end of this season he'll have been here for 3 seasons.

That's £4.6 million in salary.
He's made just 2 (TWO!) appearances.

More than £2 million per appearance. That's stealing a living.

No wonder he's happy and doesn't kick up a fuss with that sort of contribution. Can't blame him, I'm sure he's got a family to look after and all that but we're not a charity either.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not necessarily all I want to go, but a mixture of what I expect to leave (Pogba) and necessary to leave because they provide no use or they need to go for themselves (James, Tuanzebe).
  • Romero
  • Grant
  • Jones
  • Tuanzebe
  • Dalot
  • Matic
  • Pereira
  • Lingard
  • Mata
  • Pogba
  • Chong
  • James
  • Williams (loan)
  • Mengi (loan)
  • Garner (loan)
Leaves us with:
De Gea, Henderson
Wan Bissaka
Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly
Shaw, Telles
Fred, McTominay, Van de Beek
Bruno, Hannibal
Diallo
Rashford, Martial
Cavani, Greenwood

So obviously need:
  • CB (starter)
  • RB (depth)
  • DM (starter)
  • RW (starter)
Basically we can get rid of 15 players and not have any more holes in the squad than we do now, with none of those that we sell really affecting our issues right now either.

too many people don’t understand the concept of a third GK. He’s not there to play, he’s there as insurance if DDG and Henderson are injured. You don’t want to throw an 18 year old kid in at the deep end, and furthermore you don’t want to keep a younger keeper knocking around the club in case they are needed - they need to be out and playing.

AgentSmith

Maybe he's not needed at all if he's that far down the list?

He's on 30k a week. By the end of this season he'll have been here for 3 seasons.

That's £4.6 million in salary.
He's made just 2 (TWO!) appearances.

More than £2 million per appearance. That's stealing a living.

No wonder he's happy and doesn't kick up a fuss with that sort of contribution. Can't blame him, I'm sure he's got a family to look after and all that but we're not a charity either.
Without being a little crude that’s nothing to a club the size of Manchester United.

And the attributes you want from a 3rd choice goalkeeper are quite specific and rarely relate to their actual performance;

- experience, won’t fall apart under pressure
- attitude, professional but happy to be a back-up
- compatibility with no.1 and no.2 and the goalkeeping coaches

We’d get nothing for selling him either so it’s pointless for people to include him in the ‘raise funds’ list.

Can get money from;

Pogba
Lingard
James
Dalot
Pereira
Chong

Can go for nothing;

Romero
Jones
Mata (probably still keep for another year for experience though)

Can go on loan;

Taunzebe
Williams
Garner
Mengi
Pellistri

Last edited:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
too many people don’t understand the concept of a third GK. He’s not there to play, he’s there as insurance if DDG and Henderson are injured. You don’t want to throw an 18 year old kid in at the deep end, and furthermore you don’t want to keep a younger keeper knocking around the club in case they are needed - they need to be out and playing.
Exactly...
On every thread with a topic like this, half of the posters name him.
Send the youngsters out, keep an experienced guy who can help teach the younger keepers, and is happy about it, in the squad in worst case.
He's perfect for it.

Exactly...
On every thread with a topic like this, half of the posters name him.
Send the youngsters out, keep an experienced guy who can help teach the younger keepers, and is happy about it, in the squad in worst case.
He's perfect for it.
just imagine if we binned off Grant 2.5 years ago, kept Henderson as 3rd choice keeper, and hadn’t sent him to Sheffield United.

Rocknrolla69er

Pogba £60m Juventus..Madrid
Martial £60m. Juventus..Inter..PSG
De Gea. £40m.
Lingaard £20m
Tuanzebe. £18m

I won't count Jones as we l get nothing for him, but the above are included as I don't think their wages warrant their performances/consistency.

I'd be going all out for Sancho/Haaland/Konate for probably what the above would fetch £180mish.

With a push for a central midfielder to replace Pogba, can we get Zakaria or De Jong cheap what with Barcas big money problems.

Henderson to replace De Gaea and a cheap backup option sought.

To be fair it's going to be a hard window in my opinion, whereas anything could happen

NoneBmStore

De Gea. £40m.
Lingaard £20m
Tuanzebe. £18m

I won't count Jones as we l get nothing for him, but the above are included as I don't think their wages warrant their performances/consistency.

I'd be going all out for Sancho/Haaland/Konate for probably what the above would fetch £180mish.

With a push for a central midfielder to replace Pogba, can we get Zakaria or De Jong cheap what with Barcas big money problems.

To be fair it's going to be a hard window in my opinion, whereas anything could happen
If we sell Martial, Lingard or Tuanzebe even remotely close to any of those prices I’ll be genuinely surprised

croadyman

Not necessarily all I want to go, but a mixture of what I expect to leave (Pogba) and necessary to leave because they provide no use or they need to go for themselves (James, Tuanzebe).
  • Romero
  • Grant
  • Jones
  • Tuanzebe
  • Dalot
  • Matic
  • Pereira
  • Lingard
  • Mata
  • Pogba
  • Chong
  • James
  • Williams (loan)
  • Mengi (loan)
  • Garner (loan)
Leaves us with:
De Gea, Henderson
Wan Bissaka
Shaw, Telles
Bruno, Hannibal
Diallo
Rashford, Martial
Cavani, Greenwood

So obviously need:
  • CB (starter)
  • RB (depth)
  • DM (starter)
  • RW (starter)
Basically we can get rid of 15 players and not have any more holes in the squad than we do now, with none of those that we sell really affecting our issues right now either.
Looking at what Cooper said I think there is a real possibility of getting the first three on that list, yes I agree that neglecting RW for yet another summer would be frustrating and it puts big pressure on Diallo & Mason to perform. The only thing I would say is that this season has shown we need to get our defensive side in order over anything else right now.

Last edited:

stevoc

haha, not all in one window as that would never be possible but these are players we should be looking to get rid in the next three windows in my opinion
Yeah most should have been moved on already. Matic id keep for one more year to save us having to replace him yet.

Tuanzebe id give a chance to as he hasn't had a run yet.

Martial id give him another year but if we can sign a top striker then I would move him on.

giggslover

Don't see us getting the same money for Martial as for Pogba.
Martial is young enough that ManUtd will keep him. Ability to win a match is high,

De Gea. £40m.
They will keep De Gea as no one else will pay those wages.
Lingaard £20m
Think they will keep Lingard, they didn't give an option to buy in his West Ham loan.
Tuanzebe. £18m
Tuanzebe is young and highly talented. If they get rid of Bailly to bring in another CB, they wil still need depth while player beds into the league.

I do think Dalot will leave. Would like to get at least 10 million for him.

Dan James will go out on loan.

Mata and Matic will leave or retire. Think their legs are just gone. Wont get much for them. (Mata got a very generous contract last time out, can't wait to free up that money)

RobertoBaggio99

Sell: Pogba, Lingard, Pereira, Tuanzebe and James. That's probably about 110 mill
Sign: Rice, Sancho and Kounde. That's probably about 180 mill
A -70 mill net spend should be acceptable.

SAFMUTD

Have to include VDB in that list too, maybe we can get 25M for him.

RobertoBaggio99

Have to include VDB in that list too, maybe we can get 25M for him.
Nah unless we're 25M short of signing Haaland there's no reason for us to get rid of VdB after just one season. 100 mill from Pogba + our deadest wood should be enough. I fancy VdB to do a 2nd season Fredesque turnaround over some random 25> mill arrival to hit the ground running. It's a low risk high reward move for us to let him start 15 of our 50 games next season. If he still stinks we sell him for 20m next year, but if he improves as you'd expect he's easily 35-40m next summer.

Stevondo8

Senior players out on loan already I imagine will be sold/loaned again. Beyond them, players I would sell are de gea, bailly and martial.

De gea - time has come. Henderson as number 1, Romero back in as number 2. Revisit GK situation as next season progresses if required.

Bailly - just isn’t fit enough for long enough to be a reliable option. Assuming a cb is on the shopping list, in my mind Bailly is probably the cb we have most likely to get a decent fee.

Martial - if he was going to be the striker to lead us to glory we would know by now. Too many questions over attitude/application/ability really.

Those 3 will raise enough to get in Grealish. Hard to see too much major business happening beyond that in all honesty after a season of no gate receipts. Finances will be severely restricted for everybody.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De Gea, Pogba, Rashford, Bruno and Shaw as first 11 players and Greenwood and Diallo as top youngsters are all indispensable.
For all others i would listen offers. But for that you should be ruthless and proactive. Which we are not. For Williams and Tuanzebe we could easily get 50mil combined. For Henderson and McT up to 80mil. Etc....

But we will not do it. We don't sell players unless player wants to go.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Depends who you can get in? We aren't going to have a mass clear out of any first XI players as this isn't football manager, it's real life.

I would get rid of DDG, Maguire, Martial, Pogba etc but it won't happen in a million years, best we can hope for is to get some money for Pogba and reinvest in a solid DM or RW to give a more balanced squad and get rid of a few more fringe players, maybe send James out on loan and rely on Diallo for his place.

CM

• Romero
  • Grant
  • Jones
  • Tuanzebe
  • Dalot
  • Matic
  • Pereira
  • Lingard
  • Mata
  • Pogba
  • Chong
  • James
  • Williams (loan)
  • Mengi (loan)
  • Garner (loan)
Leaves us with:
De Gea, Henderson
Wan Bissaka
Shaw, Telles
Bruno, Hannibal
Diallo
Rashford, Martial
Cavani, Greenwood

So obviously need:
  • CB (starter)
  • RB (depth)
  • DM (starter)
  • RW (starter)
Not sure Matic belongs on that list but tend to agree on the rest.

You'd think Tuanzebe is the obvious one where we should look to cash in. He has talent and hasn't really done well for us in the first-team but should become a good player if he moves to a midtable side with regular football.

lysglimt

Scout
The way I see it - if we are backed by the owners (even in the current climate) - we could sign the players we need to become a leading force in Europe again.

Real M and Barcelona realistically don't have a lot of money, Liverpool do not have the money to sign big - Bayern M rarely do spend big - that realistically leave us with Chelsea and City to compete with.

I think - if the owners had backed us with a net spend of £150 million - combined with sales of 3-4 players, we will have the money necessary to raise the 3 or 4 quality players we need to have a team that can last 4-5-6 years.

If we sell Pogba we will need 4 players - if w keep Pogba we could manage with just 3

We need one central defender - my first choice is Konate at Leipzig. Once we get him in - we release Jones on a free transfer and sell one of Bailly or Tuanzebe - I think they have both tremendous talent but I don't trust them. Bailly is too injury-plagued and Tuanzebe has that mistake waiting to happn in every game. Net spend for this would probably not be more than £25 million as we should be able to raise over £20 million for either player. If we also sell Dalot - that will more or less be a net spend of Close to nothing. At the same time the wages will drop.

If we keep Pogba - I am more or less happy with our central midfield - but would prefer Grealish if we can't get Sancho. Lingard and Andreas might get us £30 million -

Then we go to Dortmund and offer £160 million for Haaland and Sancho. They "have" to sell at least one of the two because they struggle financially. I would even be willing to off-load v.d.Beek to get these players in. If they only agree to sell 1 - we either go after Grealish or DCalvert Lewin - depending on which player they want to sell to us. Sancho and Grealish of course not the same kind of player but both are extremely creative - which we need.

Realistically - we could get Konate, Haaland/DCL and Sancho/Grealish for £100 million net by selling Bailly for £20 million, Andreas for £12 million, Lingard for £18 million, Dailot for £15 million and v.d Beek for £30 million - or pay £130 million net and keep v.d.Beek

I think we can sign Konate for less than £50 million, Sancho for £75-80 million and Haaland for about the same.

Skåre Willoch

Other than the usual suspects, I'd sell Martial if we can get a decent fee.

I don't really know who we should sign, or what we need the most. But if Haaland is on the move, just throw anything and everything he wants in his direction.

SAFMUTD

Nah unless we're 25M short of signing Haaland there's no reason for us to get rid of VdB after just one season. 100 mill from Pogba + our deadest wood should be enough. I fancy VdB to do a 2nd season Fredesque turnaround over some random 25> mill arrival to hit the ground running. It's a low risk high reward move for us to let him start 15 of our 50 games next season. If he still stinks we sell him for 20m next year, but if he improves as you'd expect he's easily 35-40m next summer.
100M for Pogba? No way. His contract runs out next year. I think we can get around 50-60M for him.

Regarding VDB he's basically the last midfielder in the pecking order, I don't think we should give him games just to see if he improves. Unfortunately he has shown nothing to warrant 15 starts, he doesn't seems comfortable with the current set up.

It may be because he's low on confidence or whatever but at this time I'd say is very unlikely he'll turn it around.

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
If Pogba isn't staying that's a reasonable stack of cash.
I think Martial wouldn't be overly missed and would fetch a good price too.

Maybe a young player here or there but that's not going to be a bank busting amount.

Who we'd buy with £100M on top of our usual budget, I have no idea.

AgentSmith

The way I see it - if we are backed by the owners (even in the current climate) - we could sign the players we need to become a leading force in Europe again.

Real M and Barcelona realistically don't have a lot of money, Liverpool do not have the money to sign big - Bayern M rarely do spend big - that realistically leave us with Chelsea and City to compete with.

I think - if the owners had backed us with a net spend of £150 million - combined with sales of 3-4 players, we will have the money necessary to raise the 3 or 4 quality players we need to have a team that can last 4-5-6 years.

If we sell Pogba we will need 4 players - if w keep Pogba we could manage with just 3

We need one central defender - my first choice is Konate at Leipzig. Once we get him in - we release Jones on a free transfer and sell one of Bailly or Tuanzebe - I think they have both tremendous talent but I don't trust them. Bailly is too injury-plagued and Tuanzebe has that mistake waiting to happn in every game. Net spend for this would probably not be more than £25 million as we should be able to raise over £20 million for either player. If we also sell Dalot - that will more or less be a net spend of Close to nothing. At the same time the wages will drop.

If we keep Pogba - I am more or less happy with our central midfield - but would prefer Grealish if we can't get Sancho. Lingard and Andreas might get us £30 million -

Then we go to Dortmund and offer £160 million for Haaland and Sancho. They "have" to sell at least one of the two because they struggle financially. I would even be willing to off-load v.d.Beek to get these players in. If they only agree to sell 1 - we either go after Grealish or DCalvert Lewin - depending on which player they want to sell to us. Sancho and Grealish of course not the same kind of player but both are extremely creative - which we need.

Realistically - we could get Konate, Haaland/DCL and Sancho/Grealish for £100 million net by selling Bailly for £20 million, Andreas for £12 million, Lingard for £18 million, Dailot for £15 million and v.d Beek for £30 million - or pay £130 million net and keep v.d.Beek

I think we can sign Konate for less than £50 million, Sancho for £75-80 million and Haaland for about the same.
I think at that price the level of competition for Haaland would be too much for us to have chance of getting him. City and Madrid would be at the front of the queue with us in line with Chelsea probably.

Plus he has a release clause of £65 million that kicks in next summer and I'd imagine Dortmund would be happy to keep him for another season at the expense of ~£15 million-ish. They'd want much much more to sell him this summer.

Sancho is the player to get from Dortmund. It's basically role reversal from last year; they seem desperate to sell while we're in a much stronger position so hopefully we can drive the price to close to the £70 million mark.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If we sell Martial, Lingard or Tuanzebe even remotely close to any of those prices I’ll be genuinely surprised
He’s not playing well at the moment but Tuanzebe’s very well thought of in England, he’s been considered a really good prospect for the United and England youth teams for years, while his stock has fallen I don’t think we’d have any issue getting £15m+ for him. If we even wanted to sell him, that is.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

That would be a unbelievable window.

lysglimt

Scout
That would be a unbelievable window.
The scary thing is - it's perfectly possible. There has never been a window where so many good players will be available and so few clubs have the money to sign them. If United had found a way to invest 200 million - this is the time to do it. If I was OGS I would tell Woodward - invest Everything now - reduce the budget for the next 2 windows - this is the time to strike.

Clubs need to sell - badly

croadyman

The scary thing is - it's perfectly possible. There has never been a window where so many good players will be available and so few clubs have the money to sign them. If United had found a way to invest 200 million - this is the time to do it. If I was OGS I would tell Woodward - invest Everything now - reduce the budget for the next 2 windows - this is the time to strike.

Clubs need to sell - badly
If only we had someone who understood transfers in this COVID affected market and how to make the most of it