Gaming Which sports game to get?

Meller

So I've been rather busy and poor and other things which has led me to not buy a sports game this year, but now I finally have the time and the funds to afford a game. The problem is, I don't know which one to get. I would usually just get NBA2K, and especially since I didn't buy last years version, but reading fan reviews regarding the micro transactions and lack of improvements has put me off it quite a bit. I've played 2K a lot since 2K15, but the career mode/MyPlayer has gotten worse each year which also puts some doubts in my mind. I would probably still play MyPlayer since I really like the concept and it works well in an NBA game, but maybe look into career mode with a team instead if that game mode is any good?

I haven't played a Madden game since about 2002, but I've really gotten into the sport these past few years and have been thinking about buying it for a while. Now, I've read a lot of complaints about Madden as well from fans, the thing is though I would come in fresh and just learn the game which would take me a while. I won't be playing online so probably just random games at first before starting a career mode with a random team.

The final game I'm considering is NHL. I haven't read much about it but they are usually decent games. I used to play (well 20 years ago) and follow it somewhat, but haven't watched the sport in yonks, and I don't really like watching it either. Still, whenever I've played it I've had fun which is why I'm considering it.

So, I will not buy FIFA since it's a pile of garbage, or PES since it's just meh. I won't be playing online, well maybe except if some guys on here play any of these games, but rather play some sort of career mode either with a team or to create a player. I don't care about gimmicks/Myteam/FUT or whatever, just want to play a fun sports game offline with decent AI. I will only have time to play one game as well as I just started playing Witcher 3 as well.

So which game should I buy?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Personally, I wouldn't go with any of them and instead choose Champions World Class Soccer. It's endorsed by Ryan Giggs, so you know it's good.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Not played the latest NBA, but that's what I'd get.

NBAs are the only games ive had just as much, if not more enjoyment out of as FIFA.

Meller

Personally, I wouldn't go with any of them and instead choose Champions World Class Soccer. It's endorsed by Ryan Giggs, so you know it's good.
Whilst I do encourage games I haven't mentioned above, I will most likely give this one a miss. I do thank you greatly for your suggestion however.

Not played the latest NBA, but that's what I'd get.

NBAs are the only games ive had just as much, if not more enjoyment out of as FIFA.
It's leaning towards it as it's also on sale on PSN store, but I still think I'd enjoy both Madden and NHL hence the thread!

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Whilst I do encourage games I haven't mentioned above, I will most likely give this one a miss. I do thank you greatly for your suggestion however.

It's leaning towards it as it's also on sale on PSN store, but I still think I'd enjoy both Madden and NHL hence the thread!
I've played NHL in the past and enjoyed it, but not as much as NBA. Never played madden.

Bojan11

Both are broken and there’s so many complaints about them.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Fine, your loss.

Meller

Both are broken and there’s so many complaints about them.
Both as in Madden and NBA? If so yeah and that's the worry for me. I don't want to splurge on a game that's just going to annoy me, I'm annoyed all the time anyway so when I play games I wanna have fun.

Meller

I've played NHL in the past and enjoyed it, but not as much as NBA. Never played madden.
Yeah just checked some fan reviews, not too great. Still, most people seem to be complaining about lack of new features and that it's the same as NHL19, which wouldn't be a problem as I haven't bought one since maybe NHL12.
Ultimate Team/MyTeam seem to be what's ruining these games, it sucks.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
NBA2k career mode is pretty good this year actually, but the game as a whole isn't as enjoyable as it has been in a while (last year was bad but better than this year, the year before was ok in comparison the most recent 2) NBA 2k17 was the last really good NBA game they brought out, in my opinion.
A lot of the complaints about NBA2k are from the community who play online, most of it's faults are heightened when you play online modes - so if you don't have any intention of playing online then I think you'd enjoy it actually.

FIFA is way behind 2k in my opinion, so I wouldn't consider that as an option.

I've heard good things about Madden however, but I don't know a lot of people who play it so it's a small sample size.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I bought Madden 20 yesterday - is currently on sale on the PSN store.

I didn't play last years, but have played it ever since it was released on the Megadrive back in the day!

I played Madden 18 a lot - and actually really enjoyed the Ultimate Team mode. I wasn't so interested in playing online, so rather enjoyed building the best 49ers themed team I could. So I didn't feel the need to spend any money on packs or tokens, but rather did all the solo challenges and got coins and packs that way.

There is a ton of promos that they release for this - and yes there is the microtransaction element but I don't think you need to spend - unless you are playing online all the time against other players.

Will try and get on this eve and see how it is but really looking forward to it!

Meller

NBA2k career mode is pretty good this year actually, but the game as a whole isn't as enjoyable as it has been in a while (last year was bad but better than this year, the year before was ok in comparison the most recent 2) NBA 2k17 was the last really good NBA game they brought out, in my opinion.
A lot of the complaints about NBA2k are from the community who play online, most of it's faults are heightened when you play online modes - so if you don't have any intention of playing online then I think you'd enjoy it actually.

FIFA is way behind 2k in my opinion, so I wouldn't consider that as an option.

I've heard good things about Madden however, but I don't know a lot of people who play it so it's a small sample size.
That's encouraging. And no I Won't play online so hopefully I'll enjoy career mode (if I end up buying it).
I bought Madden 20 yesterday - is currently on sale on the PSN store.

I didn't play last years, but have played it ever since it was released on the Megadrive back in the day!

I played Madden 18 a lot - and actually really enjoyed the Ultimate Team mode. I wasn't so interested in playing online, so rather enjoyed building the best 49ers themed team I could. So I didn't feel the need to spend any money on packs or tokens, but rather did all the solo challenges and got coins and packs that way.

There is a ton of promos that they release for this - and yes there is the microtransaction element but I don't think you need to spend - unless you are playing online all the time against other players.

Will try and get on this eve and see how it is but really looking forward to it!
How good is the career mode? Both individual (doubt I would play this however) and with a team? I'm not interested in online but maybe you mean playing offline UT?

Honestly? Get Rocket League.
Isn't that online? I don't like people.

GazTheLegend

Yea it is but it really is worth a try. I can’t sell it enough: I’ve never played FIFA online, any basketball games or whatever but Rocket League just clicked with me

Yea people can be shitty but the games only last -5 minutes- and generally when you start playing it’s not toxic at all, it’s only later on if you get good that people care. You can play offline too.

Otherwise I don’t know many sports games worth a look. Maybe something like football manager.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
When in doubt, I always go with hockey. It’s translated well as a video game format since the NES days.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
That's encouraging. And no I Won't play online so hopefully I'll enjoy career mode (if I end up buying it).

How good is the career mode? Both individual (doubt I would play this however) and with a team? I'm not interested in online but maybe you mean playing offline UT?

The career mode is as deep as you want to make it.

I don't play online either - you can play the UT offline so it doesn't have to be against others

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The man in the store said Lee Carvallo’s putting challenge is the game every boy wants right now.

Meller

When in doubt, I always go with hockey. It’s translated well as a video game format since the NES days.
Damn it, I got no suggestions for NHL and then you show up. But yeah I agree with you. As I said I'm not overly excited about the sport but as a video game it's fun. Have you played the newest one?
The career mode is as deep as you want to make it.

I don't play online either - you can play the UT offline so it doesn't have to be against others
Alright thanks. Depending on the price I'm certainly intrigued. A 16 game regular season is more enticing than an 82 game one when playing career mode.

Yea it is but it really is worth a try. I can’t sell it enough: I’ve never played FIFA online, any basketball games or whatever but Rocket League just clicked with me

Yea people can be shitty but the games only last -5 minutes- and generally when you start playing it’s not toxic at all, it’s only later on if you get good that people care. You can play offline too.

Otherwise I don’t know many sports games worth a look. Maybe something like football manager.
Hmm yeah might test it out just for fun this weekend.

Meller

The man in the store said Lee Carvallo’s putting challenge is the game every boy wants right now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I like 2K20 a lot, but I have liked all previous ones as well and I play exclusively MyLeague mode so MyCareer and online issues don’t bother me. That’s basically the only game I play these days.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Damn it, I got no suggestions for NHL and then you show up. But yeah I agree with you. As I said I'm not overly excited about the sport but as a video game it's fun. Have you played the newest one?
No, I was actually toying with the idea of picking up Madden for the first time this console generation. So I’m only here to complicate things..

Sara125

Last 2k game I got was 18. I don’t do career mode and all that though, same with Fifa

Meller

I'm probably more confused now then I was when I started the thread.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd avoid NHL, if I were you. The game has little longevity to it, and they're never going to be able to make that game not be clunky. The physics are pretty laughable, and the lack of depth to the game makes it pretty clear it's likely to have the lowest budget of the EA Sports catalogue. I'd be surprised if you got more than 20 hours out of it before shelving it. I'm a huge fan of the sport, but the EA games are pretty weak. Madden and FIFA are generally much deeper, slicker games, despite their flaws.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Gran Turismo Sport? They've been adding lots of single player content post release, it looks great and plays really good too. The downsides for me would be the car engine audio, its definiely improved but compared to Driveclub it shows this is polyphonys weak spot and the car rpg element and feel of gradual progression in the older GT games is gone and it's more of a collectathon for your garage nowadays. As a driving/racing game though it's very good.

I'll also give a shout out for Rocket League, one of the very best games this generation.

Meller

Have you considered Pacman deluxe edition expansion pack?
Yes.
I'd avoid NHL, if I were you. The game has little longevity to it, and they're never going to be able to make that game not be clunky. The physics are pretty laughable, and the lack of depth to the game makes it pretty clear it's likely to have the lowest budget of the EA Sports catalogue. I'd be surprised if you got more than 20 hours out of it before shelving it. I'm a huge fan of the sport, but the EA games are pretty weak. Madden and FIFA are generally much deeper, slicker games, despite their flaws.
Alright thanks for this. I read something similar when I was doing some more research last night. It's a shame but not really that surprising considering the rather small market compared to Madden and FIFA (even though I think FIFA is trash).
If you have just started the Witcher don't bother with another game. Witcher will take over your life.
Yeah pretty much just started, or well level 13 and just arrived in Novigrad. Sometimes it's a bit overwhelming though which is why I want to kick back with a sports game instead.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yes.

Alright thanks for this. I read something similar when I was doing some more research last night. It's a shame but not really that surprising considering the rather small market compared to Madden and FIFA (even though I think FIFA is trash).

Yeah pretty much just started, or well level 13 and just arrived in Novigrad. Sometimes it's a bit overwhelming though which is why I want to kick back with a sports game instead.
If you like golf give the golf club 2019 a go, it's my goto game when I've got a spare 15-20 mins

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I just got this thing called EA Access, it’s a subscription that gives you basically all the EA Sports games of the last few years plus a few driving and FPS games for ~€25/year. The catch is that you don’t get the newest games but I don’t know if you care about that.

I don’t play online very much, so I don’t care if I have the latest game the day it’s released or not so for me it’s ideal and the value for money is crazy.

Edit: here's the list of games. FIFA20 and Madded20 are coming soon apparently.

Last edited:

Meller

I just got this thing called EA Access, it’s a subscription that gives you basically all the EA Sports games of the last few years plus a few driving and FPS games for ~€25/year. The catch is that you don’t get the newest games but I don’t know if you care about that.

I don’t play online very much, so I don’t care if I have the latest game the day it’s released or not so for me it’s ideal and the value for money is crazy.

Edit: here's the list of games. FIFA20 and Madded20 are coming soon apparently.
Is this for PS4? Seems a bit too good to be true.
If you like golf give the golf club 2019 a go, it's my goto game when I've got a spare 15-20 mins
Not that into golf but I used to play Tiger Woods 99 back in the day!

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Is this for PS4? Seems a bit too good to be true.

Not that into golf but I used to play Tiger Woods 99 back in the day!
That's what I said when I first heard about it as well, but it's the real deal. It's available for both ps4 and xbox but I'm not sure if it's a world wide thing or just select countries.

Meller

That's what I said when I first heard about it as well, but it's the real deal. It's available for both ps4 and xbox but I'm not sure if it's a world wide thing or just select countries.
I'll definitely check it out, thanks!

Sara125

For anyone that cares, NBA 2k20 has been reduced from £49.99 to £3.99 on the PS store

I would go for sports you don't know much about but flow well. NBA or NHL are good shouts, I've not played NBA much but i loved NHL back in the day.

FIFA is just frustrating as it plays nothing like a real game, same goes for golf games.

edit: in fact feck it for 2.99 I've just bought NBA2K myself.