Film Which sub-genres in film and TV do you not understand the appeal of?

OleBoiii

Genres like drama, action, thriller, comedy, horror etc are obviously not included here.

For me it has to be these Italian gangster films/TV-series. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but there is something seriously dull and "unsexy" about them. They're supposed to be cool and stylish, but I just don't see it. David Mitchell has a fun rant on this, which I find spot on.

Romantic comedies should be a sub-genre in theory, but for some reason they are wildly popular with women so now there's a billion of them. And practically all them suck.

Western should also be sub-genre, but because Hollywood is so close to the desert it became massive. But at least there are some good movies in this genre, so I'll give it a pass. It's also probably the only genre my dad likes, so it gives us an opportunity to watch films together.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
scripted reality tv shows.

i was once subject to 15 minutes of “selling sunset” it was the worst thing i have ever witnessed.

SirAnderson

Genres like drama, action, thriller, comedy, horror etc are obviously not included here.

For me it has to be these Italian gangster films/TV-series. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but there is something seriously dull and "unsexy" about them. They're supposed to be cool and stylish, but I just don't see it. David Mitchell has a fun rant on this, which I find spot on.

Romantic comedies should be a sub-genre in theory, but for some reason they are wildly popular with women so now there's a billion of them. And practically all them suck.

Western should also be sub-genre, but because Hollywood is so close to the desert it became massive. But at least there are some good movies in this genre, so I'll give it a pass. It's also probably the only genre my dad likes, so it gives us an opportunity to watch films together.
Uhhum, why obviously not included...

I came on to say Horror, and to my horror, it's obviously excluded for reasons I'm horribly afraid aren't obvious to me.

EDIT: Ah, Sub.

Horribly excuse me. I'll learn to read first next time. Not.

Dr. StrangeHate

Uhhum, why obviously not included...

I came on to say Horror, and to my horror, it's obviously excluded for reasons I'm horribly afraid aren't obvious to me.
Have you watched:
1) Haunting of Hill House
2) Haunting of Bly Manor
They have got great story, great scares, great acting, and paced well.

bucky

Slasher horror movies aren't really appealing to me. Just don't care.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I have a somewhat controversial opinion that film doesn't do sci-fi well and that it works better in books, games and animation because you can construct an entirely different world in those mediums. There's exceptions of course like Blade Runner and Alien.

I'd also say the time-travel genre is terrible.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeh I was going to say Sci-fi, but that’s more personal preference. I don’t think fantasy gets enough love even though it always seems popular!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Super heros used be good. But now they are churning them out at one every month it feels like. I hate John Wick type movies as well.

Most ghost movies are shit also. When i was watching the haunting of hill house, i kept saying, they would see a ghost and then forget about seeing the ghost five minutes later.

Zen

None really... but the classic 'turn your brain off and enjoy it' always seems an odd defence to me when defending some of the absolute worst of blockbuster movies...oh well.

Also, the people who oddly defend Lou Reed Metal Machine Music.... casually unrelated to anything here.

0le

The obsession with Star Wars. I've watched the first three films a few times and barely remember any of it, yet you have people who remember every quote and actor etc.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The obsession with Star Wars. I've watched the first three films a few times and barely remember any of it, yet you have people who remember every quote and actor etc.
They are over doing it now. There is too many star wars films now. Sort of like jaws 2 or psycho 2 and so on.

The first three that came out in the 70s were brilliant i thought. But they are overdoing it now purely for money.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Serial killer horror movies. There's not much suspense if people are getting stabbed left and right. They seemed to be all the rage in the late 90s, early 2000s.

Horror is better if you think the worst is going to happen, rather than constantly seeing it happen.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Serial killer horror movies. There's not much suspense if people are getting stabbed left and right. They seemed to be all the rage in the late 90s, early 2000s.

Horror is better if you think the worst is going to happen, rather than constantly seeing it happen.
You have to build up tension, as Hitchcock said. He used the analogy of a bomb that explodes. If you dont know about it and it explodes, that is not as good as knowing there is a bomb, waiting to explode.

Psycho is without question the best horror movie ever and one of the best films ever, and he builds up tension. There is an element of mystery to it as well.

A lot of horror films like you said are just stabbings left right and centre, like the John Wick films are just him killing everyone.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

Do you mean Goodfellas/Sopranos?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You have to build up tension, as Hitchcock said. He used the analogy of a bomb that explodes. If you dont know about it and it explodes, that is not as good as knowing there is a bomb, waiting to explode.

Psycho is without question the best horror movie ever and one of the best films ever, and he builds up tension. There is an element of mystery to it as well.

A lot of horror films like you said are just stabbings left right and centre, like the John Wick films are just him killing everyone.
John Wick isn’t a horror.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I’ve never understood horrors.

I am a pussy though. Shat myself watching Saw and that was the end of that.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
John Wick isn’t a horror.
I know. I was just making the point that in most horror films you have just gratuitious killing, just like the John Wick films have him killing everyone, even though they are action films.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This would be my top one, it's just nasty stuff.

Guess John Wick isn't far off being a Super hero himself.
True. What annoys me is that he has ten people attacking him and he manages to kill them all. You just know how the film will plan out before you even watch it.

People must watch it though because they have made what is it three films.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
True. What annoys me is that he has ten people attacking him and he manages to kill them all. You just know how the film will plan out before you even watch it.
To be fair you'd have to feck off basically every action movie ever made if your bar is 'protagonist is implausibly good/lucky and beats overwhelming odds'. :lol:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
To be fair you'd have to feck off basically every action movie ever made if your bar is 'protagonist is implausibly good/lucky and beats overwhelming odds'. :lol:
I think you have to have a new angle. Like Die Hard the first one was brilliant. Arguably the best action movie ever. The Terminator 1 and 2 as well. You have to give the audience something they have never seen before.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Agreed, I've tried several times to watch Goodfellas and switched it off every single time. Doesn't do it for me, dull.

Mike Smalling

Superhero movies. Also, found footage style horror movies, because any reasonable person would not be filming the most scary parts of them, and you can never see what is actually going on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wait, you hate on anime but enjoy AoT, which practically has all the worst anime tropes? Just throw in a cute animal and some sexism and it's the most anime anime ever :p
It was a guilty pleasure. I didn’t finish it anyway. The absence of a cute animal and sexualised school-girl outfits did help me stick with it longer than I would most anime tbf.