Which wonder kids did Football Manager/FIFA actually get right?

CG1010

I remember FIFA had Anderson has a 90+ potential player in some versions.

staubsauger

Supports
The underdog
Sokratis(can't be bothered to google his last name) was quite a good talent in FM08, he was modelled pretty well given his current achievements.

Tiber

Luke Shaw was brilliant a few years ago - I know he isnt proven yet but I really like him

You could sign him for about 2m and start him right away in a good team!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Although the researcher gave it big licks about a 99% hit rate, going back a bit there were quite a few notable misses in CM01/02:

Kaka
Michael Essien
Didier Drogba
Andrea Pirlo
Wayne Rooney
Xavi
Robin Van Persie
David Villa
Ricardo Carvalho
Pepe
Michael Ballack
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Patrice Evra
Frank Ribery
Eric Abidal
Daniele De Rossi
Dirk Kuyt
Pepe Reina
Dani Alves
Javier Mascherano

A few late developers in there, but most of these were pretty shite all in all. And some of the younger talents in Andres Iniesta, Cristiano Ronaldo, Santi Cazorla and Thiago Silva weren't in the game.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I can't remember what year. But I signed a youth product with average stats but was quite tall for his age, I put him straight in for the crack and he Sid a great job for my United save. His name was Harry Kane.

UnitedBoy

I remember signing craig gordan and akinfeev for every save one year.

UnitedBoy

Fernando Genro was probably one of my best buys. Tmy mate who I was playing with just picked up messi and I needed somthibf big. Brought Geneo and won the league. Don't even think he plays professional these days!

NotQuiteManc

I bought CR7 in CM02-03 and thought he was really amazing. Amazing slalom dribbling runs and goals already, as he is in his earlier years at United. I miss that version of Ronaldo.

Red Stone

Yup. First heard of Iniesta on FM. Technique ratings were almost solid 20s! I was like 'who the feck is this'
Iniesta on CM03-04 was 18. Definitely wasn't sufficiently scouted, as he'd get random values assigned to a few stats every time you started a new game. His passing and technique were almost always top notch, though. So was his potential.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Yep me too, I think he was pretty average in FM 2005. Rooney was also terrible in CM 01-02 I think but Ronaldinho at PSG was insanely good.
He's also terrible in CM now.
central midfield of course hehehehohohoho

Classical Mechanic

Although the researcher gave it big licks about a 99% hit rate, going back a bit there were quite a few notable misses in CM01/02:

Kaka
Michael Essien
Didier Drogba
Andrea Pirlo
Wayne Rooney
Xavi
Robin Van Persie
David Villa
Ricardo Carvalho
Pepe
Michael Ballack
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Patrice Evra
Frank Ribery
Eric Abidal
Daniele De Rossi
Dirk Kuyt
Pepe Reina
Dani Alves
Javier Mascherano

A few late developers in there, but most of these were pretty shite all in all. And some of the younger talents in Andres Iniesta, Cristiano Ronaldo, Santi Cazorla and Thiago Silva weren't in the game.
Ronaldo was in the game as a 17 year old. After he signed for United I bought him from Sporting, out of about 10 games only once did he have 'wonderkid' status though.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I remember when Anderson, Giovani dos Santos, Jesus Navas and Jose Baxter had like 95-96 potential on FIFA 09. They faded away quickly at least, but Pato was always one of the best players up until 2 years ago. He was one of their biggest mistakes.

To answer the question:
Coutinho had like 86-7 potential when he was 16.
Aubameyang was another one who at 19 was less than 70 OVR but had enormous potential.
Ramsey, Kroos and Pjanic were big talents back then too.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ronaldo was in the game as a 17 year old. After he signed for United I bought him from Sporting, out of about 10 games only once did he have 'wonderkid' status though.
Yeah I think you had to have the 'Huge' database option selected to have him in the game. He was rubbish in my save though

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I remember signing Xabi Alonso on FIFA 2004 and he was rated like 65.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Neymar was dubbed as next Ronaldo in FM 09 or 10.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Eriksen was pretty good in earlier FIFA's

paulscholes18

Tevez
Torres
Van Der Vaart
Wesley Sneijder
De Rossi
Zlatan
Rooney
Ronaldo
Kompany

Inbertween
Igor Akinfeev
Robinho
Montolivo
Ben Arfa

Lostie007

Dean Ashton

Before some of your times who grew up with football manager and FIFA but LMA Manager was the red hot game around 15 years ago. And still holds up today.

The original console management game, still play it oddly enough.

He was a beast on that game.

DiaboliQue

There's been so many of them over the years that we gods in CM/FM.

From early days, I remember Tevez, Diego (CM), Zlatan, Martins, Kompany, Vanden Borre, Torres, Akinfeev, Van Der Vaart.

The most sensational one that I've ever seen was in CM (2004, I think). They had a striker by the name of Isah Eliakwu and all his attacking stats were 20's. He was immense. I recall him scoring over 60 goals for my Sampdoria team after I bought him from Inter. Looking at his wikipedia page, it is not difficult to conclude that he was a spectacular failure in real life.
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2004–2006
Internazionale 0 (0)
2004–2005Ascoli (loan) 24 (0)
2005–2006Triestina (loan) 16 (8)
2006–2009 Triestina 40 (3)
2007–2008Spezia (loan) 29 (7)
2009–2010 Gallipoli 4 (0)
2010 Varese 4 (0)
2010–2012 Anzhi Makhachkala 3 (0)

The most spectacular players though were the computer generated players in my saved games. I had a computer generated striker by the name of Francesco Blasco at Olympiakos who averaged like two goals per game. Had many other cracking players.

Munkehboi

From the old Champ Managers:

Kim Kallstrom
Van der Vaart
Ibrahimovic
Ronaldinho
Gillardinho
Sebastian Frey
Arjen Robben

Some of them not world class but all top players

EDIT/ Forgot Joe Cole

JeffBoomTetris

FIFA 08 had Agüero, Pique, Kroos, Bale, Kompany, Fabregas, Silva, Rakitic, Neuer, Lloris etc. who always, regardless of which teams they were in, became world beaters.

I remember my Sevilla save had Kroos as an AMC playing in the front 3 & Bale at LB :lol: