Which youngsters will feature on Tour? (2015-2016 version)

Dazzmondo

25-man squad:

GK:
De Gea, Valdés, Milinkovic/J. Pereira

Defence:
Blind, Jones, Smalling, McNair, Blackett, Clyne, Tuanzebe, Janko

Midfield/Wingers:
Mata, Januzaj, Carrick, Depay, Young, Herrera, Fellaini, A. Pereira, Lingard, Rothwell, Fosu-Mensah

Strikers:
Rooney, van Persie, Wilson

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Oh please please bring Rothwell.

Donald Love would be a nice inclusion as well, good solid player who gets the job done. I think I'd have him over Janko.

Tribec

Everyone is taking Wilson on tour, but it wouldn't shock me to see him included in England's U21 squad, especially if Kane doesn't go.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Everyone is taking Wilson on tour, but it wouldn't shock me to see him included in England's U21 squad, especially if Kane doesn't go.
Highly unlikely I'd say. He's never been called up before and there is still Ings, Berahino, Bamford, Woodrow and Callum Wilson has a recent call up as well.

jb8521

He's never even been in a squad so its extremely unlikely. Even if Kane doesnt go they still have Berahino, Ings, Wickham, Afobe, Woodrow, Bamford and Callum Wilson ahead of him

Sid234

I hope Rothwell gets a chance.. Would love to see him in midfield alongside Herrera

Brightonian

I'm more concerned about Pearson going than Rothwell. He's a good loan ahead of Rothwell at the moment, after that Blackpool shambles. And whereas the senior player in Joe's position is excelling, with another likely to come in (Herrera, Gundogan), Pearson will be looking at an ageing Carrick and good-but-limited Blind as an opportunity.

In an ideal world I'd want both to go, of course.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I'm more concerned about Pearson going than Rothwell. He's a good loan ahead of Rothwell at the moment, after that Blackpool shambles. And whereas the senior player in Joe's position is excelling, with another likely to come in (Herrera, Gundogan), Pearson will be looking at an ageing Carrick and good-but-limited Blind as an opportunity.

In an ideal world I'd want both to go, of course.
Indeed. I see no reason why they wouldn't.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's LVG. At some point you know he'll bring another pack of youngsters and in the end he won't forget about them.

If Blackett could make it with a brand new contract, Rothwell, Fosu-Mensah, Janko, Wilson, Perreira and Pearson will get their chances... plus the possible new U-21 additions.

the hea

Pearson, Pereira, Wilson and Milinkovic should all go I don't watch the u18s a lot but maybe Fosu-Mensah should go if he is ready to step up.

Devil may care

I'd focus on gelling Wilson and Pereira into the senior set-up actually starting games on the tour, not sure any of the others are ready.

SirAF

Ageist
I hope to see at least Pearson and Fosu-Mensah (I'm counting Wilson, Pereira et al. as part of the first team).

khoazany

Heard some very young names might feature on Tour so would be interesting if we're actually all wrong.

Sid234

I read somewhere (bottom of one of the many tabloid articles I end up reading :() that LvG might be planning to take a really big squad on tour, mainly featuring youngsters and he intends to leave some 1st team players behind at Carrington to work with coaches seperately

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Van Gaal: I'll give young players a tour chance
"I shall take a lot of youngsters with us to the USA," declared van Gaal. "They have the chance to show themselves and then we shall wait and observe how they can develop. You get your chances always, especially in pre-season and, when you grab that chance, you have maybe the possibility to join us next season."

Nickosaur

Along with the obvious (more established) youngsters of Blackett, McNair, Wilson, Pereira, Lingard I'd hope we'd see Pearson, Love, Rothwell, James and Fosu Mensah too.

May not see Lingard if he goes out on loan - and I think we may let Will Keane go permanently.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I need to revise my prediction.Would 10 youth players in the squad too much?
Who do you predict? Would it be too much to be asking for TMF, Tuanzebe etc. to get a go?
I wonder if Blackett, McNair, Andreas, Wilson and Januzaj count as the included youngsters.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We'll have a bunch of youngsters but next season I don't think it'll be anything too different to this season. Just more appearances for Pereira, Januzaj and Wilson if they aren't out on loan, and then probably a similar amount for Blackett and McNair.

jb8521

I think Gribbin, Williams, TFM and Tuanzebe could all go

khoazany

Who do you predict? Would it be too much to be asking for TMF, Tuanzebe etc. to get a go?
I wonder if Blackett, McNair, Andreas, Wilson and Januzaj count as the included youngsters.
From what I've heard it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.

Depends on our plan with the first teamers really but beside the likes of Lingard,Blackett,Wilson etc I think Pearson,Rothwell,James,Janko,TFM,Tuanzebe,Williams,Gribbin will go plus another 1-2 whom I still can't decide.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's realistic because LVG values training and even if he doesn't play them, he will be interested in observing them closely on the training ground.

m1y2

When are players coming back from holiday btw? Youngster usually start earlier right? It should give us some indication who will join the first team squad on tour once the U's squads are named..

Sid234

Can't wait for the tour to begin! Looks we'll see quite a few U-18's on tour! Exciting stuff, a lot more fun to watch youngsters get a shot in pre-season than first team players tbh.

Brightonian

So if we consider ten a sort of upper limit for the number we're likely to take (more likely to be six or seven, I'd imagine), who are the ten young players you want to see us take on tour, in order of preference?

For the purposes of the exercise, let's count Januzaj, Wilson, Blackett and McNair as already part of the senior squad, seeing as all four have had significant first team game time.

Mine:

1. Pereira
2. Pearson
3. Lingard
4. Rothwell
5. James
6. Johnstone
7. Harrop
8. Janko
9. Rashford
10. TFM

Basically going with the principle that wherever reasonable you have to give the older lads their shot, but that when you can fit the younger talents in there's certainly no harm in it. Also that you should try and have a youngster available for every position, because you never know where the opportunities might appear due to injury, players not on tour or not fully fit yet etc. As you can see, every base is covered by that set of ten:

Rashford
Harrop Lingard Pereira
Pearson Rothwell
James TFM Janko
Johnstone​

Devil may care

I'd have to shorten my list to 5.

1. Pereira
2. Lingard
3. Fosu-Mensah
4. Johnstone
5. Pearson

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
In order of preference you say?

1. Pereira
2. Pearson
3. TFM
4. Lingard
5. Harrop
6. Rothwell
7. Rashford
8. Johnstone
9. James
10. Janko

Varela would be high up in top 5 if he was there.

khoazany

Based on what I've heard and hope this will be my list (I exclude Pereira who's already trained full time with the first team and Johnstone who I'm sure will be our number 3 GK at least):

1. Lingard
2. Pearson
3. W.Keane
4. James
5. Janko
6. Rothwell
7. Harrop
8. Tuanzebe
9. TFM
10. Gribbin
11. Williams

Tfm is heading to America tomorrow, not sure if he's going on tour with u21 or first team.
Holiday.