Who are the 3 best players in the world up to this point in the season?

Righteous Steps

Great players, but these names still feel somehow underwhelming, which may be a sign that I am just getting old.

Was it like this during the post-Maradona, pre-Ronaldo interregnum? Or it is reflective of systems taking precedence and minimizing the impression individual skill and quality can leave?
There isn’t a R9 Maradona or Messi, but there are players that can be compared to the likes of Henry Zidane etc.

I get what you mean though seems like there are less true mavericks, who can also deliver stats to a high level, thibk Mbappe is probably the closest.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
1. Bellingham
2. Kane
3. Griezmann/Salah/Amad Diallo

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The best and most high profile attackers have been Bellingham, Mbappe, Kane and Haaland.

Haaland has 19 in 20 in prem and CL.
Kane has 22 in 18 in Bundesliga and CL.
Bellingham on 15 in 16 in la Liga and CL (he's playing like a CF).
Mbappe has 17 in 17 in Ligue 1 and CL.

Others who are more creative or defensive minded players who should be in the conversation for me would be Bernardo Silva, Rodri, Griezmann.

Outside of these guys I don't think anybody should be in the conversation. So 3 of those 7. I'd go...

Bellingham
Rodri
Kane

RegenD

Supports
Real Madrid
Nobody comes close to Bellingham in his current form. Beyond goals and assists, he is dominating games, leading the team and clutching when needed. I doubt he will be able to keep this up - but as of today, nobody touches him.

KeanoMagicHat

Haaland was 2nd in the Ballon d'Or behind Messi, and has done pretty much the exact same as last season and apparently he's fallen out of the top 3 players in the world. He has 19 goals in 18 PL and CL games.

Taribo's Gap

Haaland was 2nd in the Ballon d'Or behind Messi, and has done pretty much the exact same as last season and apparently he's fallen out of the top 3 players in the world. He has 19 goals in 18 PL and CL games.
He's won no trophies this year though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The best and most high profile attackers have been Bellingham, Mbappe, Kane and Haaland.

Haaland has 19 in 20 in prem and CL.
Kane has 22 in 18 in Bundesliga and CL.
Bellingham on 15 in 16 in la Liga and CL (he's playing like a CF).
Mbappe has 17 in 17 in Ligue 1 and CL.

Others who are more creative or defensive minded players who should be in the conversation for me would be Bernardo Silva, Rodri, Griezmann.

Outside of these guys I don't think anybody should be in the conversation. So 3 of those 7. I'd go...

Bellingham
Rodri
Kane
Salah is miles better player than Haaland, and I don't think he is any worse stats wise either?

bosnian_red

Salah is miles better player than Haaland, and I don't think he is any worse stats wise either?
He's got 6 goals more this season while playing in CL compared to Salah in Europa League...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's got 6 goals more this season while playing in CL compared to Salah in Europa League...
Yeah, there's a clear difference between playing as winger for Liverpool, and striker for Manchester City.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Slightly misleading words as Salah has about 2 games worth of minutes in the EL. Plus City didn't get a particularly difficult CL group either.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Bellingham, follow by several others:
Kane, Haaland, Mbappe, Salah etc

Malkovich

Reading these names, player quality has really fallen off from past decades.

TheReligion

Abusive
Quite interesting that is seems widely accepted two of the three best players in the world currently are English

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Kane, Bellingham, Saka, Foden, Stones, Walker are in the mix for WC in their positions.
A sad indictment of Southgate.

bosnian_red

Slightly misleading words as Salah has about 2 games worth of minutes in the EL. Plus City didn't get a particularly difficult CL group either.
3 goals in 181 minutes (5 apps, 2 starts). Not really deceiving.

sebsheep

3 goals in 181 minutes (5 apps, 2 starts). Not really deceiving.
When you're suggesting he's had a easier time scoring goals because he's in the EL and he's averaging less that 40 minutes on the pitch, how is it not?

Ágætis Byrjun

Mbappe is the best player in the world. Jude and Kane are a tie for the 2nd place. Haaland would be third.
Honorable mentions to Griezmann, Rodrygo, Rodri and B. Silva.

bosnian_red

When you're suggesting he's had a easier time scoring goals because he's in the EL and he's averaging less that 40 minutes on the pitch, how is it not?
He has 6 goals fewer than Haaland and got 3 of them in Europa League. Of course it's worth saying.

SAFMUTD

Any answer different from Kane, Bellingham and Haaland is simply wrong.

sebsheep

He has 6 goals fewer than Haaland and got 3 of them in Europa League. Of course it's worth saying.
Haaland has 5 CL goals. All scored against the worst 2 teams in their group. Teams that wouldn't look out of place in a EL group stage. If you're judging on the ease of scoring these goals it probably looks worse for Haaland there.
Yet you've weirdly dressed it up as worse for Salah...

bosnian_red

Haaland has 5 CL goals. All scored against the worst 2 teams in their group. Teams that wouldn't look out of place in a EL group stage. If you're judging on the ease of scoring these goals it probably looks worse for Haaland there.
Yet you've weirdly dressed it up as worse for Salah...
He scored against Leipzig. And generally scores against every opponent he plays against and scores pretty much every game

Just stop man what the hell are you arguing :lol: That Salah's europa league is more meaningful than Haaland's CL goals? Come on :lol:

sebsheep

He scored against Leipzig. And generally scores against every opponent he plays against and scores pretty much every game

Just stop man what the hell are you arguing :lol: That Salah's europa league is more meaningful than Haaland's CL goals? Come on :lol:
Ah, thought they played them again in GW6. 4/5 against Europa level teams then.

I think you're confused about your own post (goals are also a weird way to judge between 2 players with quite different roles)
My point is that if you're down rating Sarah's goal tally because he scored 3 in the Europa, and Haaland has 4 goals against teams that are of the same level. Then really it should close the gap between them.

bosnian_red

Ah, thought they played them again in GW6. 4/5 against Europa level teams then.

I think you're confused about your own post (goals are also a weird way to judge between 2 players with quite different roles)

My point is that if you're down rating Sarah's goal tally because he scored 3 in the Europa, and Haaland has 4 goals against teams that are of the same level. Then really it should close the gap between them.
Yeah but he's still got plenty more in the league and domestic cups? Like you ignore cups even though it's beneficial for Salah, and he's still not matching Haaland. At what they do, Salah is not as good as Haaland anymore. Salahs main thing is his goalscoring, he's a top player but Haaland is the best around at being a pure goalscorer. I don't see how Salah would be ahead of him at this stage. This isn't 2018 or whatever, salahs dropped off a bit now.

sebsheep

Yeah but he's still got plenty more in the league and domestic cups? Like you ignore cups even though it's beneficial for Salah, and he's still not matching Haaland. At what they do, Salah is not as good as Haaland anymore. Salahs main thing is his goalscoring, he's a top player but Haaland is the best around at being a pure goalscorer. I don't see how Salah would be ahead of him at this stage. This isn't 2018 or whatever, salahs dropped off a bit now.
I haven't ignored anything. I was just pointing out the Europa League comment was misleading.

Couldn't say who was better out if the two tbh, watching United matches puts me off watching anything else atm :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
He's won no trophies this year though.
Well there was the super cup thing I suppose.
If the bottom 2 in a CL group are Europa League standard, then are the bottom 2 of a Europa League group actually European Conference League standard?

2 out of 3 of Salah's European goals came against LASK. They're bottom of their group.

sebsheep

Well there was the super cup thing I suppose.

If the bottom 2 in a CL group are Europa League standard, then are the bottom 2 of a Europa League group actually European Conference League standard?

2 out of 3 of Salah's European goals came against LASK. They're bottom of their group.
Well the it wasn't just being bottom 2 in the group, more the quality of the teams. Young Boys are probably the only team there you could imagine having a half decent Europa League run.

Ole'sgunnarwin

If Haaland, Bellingham or Kane were signed for United over the past few years would they have been a success or would we have ruined them?

paulscholes18

If Haaland, Bellingham or Kane were signed for United over the past few years would they have been a success or would we have ruined them?
Haaland would struggle in this team as we don’t create the amount of chances as City do.