Who are the best strikers in the league?

RashyForPM

Inspired by Nani Nana’s goalkeeper thread and my additional fascination with strikers being one myself (well, while I could actually get out there before COVID).

Anyway, to get straight to the point, my top 5 would be:

1) Kane - Just brilliant at everything
2) Vardy - Guarantees you 20 goals every season
3) DCL - Really developed his game this year, with many goals and new found hold up play too.
4) Ings - All round class
5) Giroud - Feels like he scores from every start he gets. It’s unbelievable.

What’s yours?

Kaos

Kane, and Vardy are a league above the rest. Mane too if we're counting him as a 'striker'.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Kane is phenomenal I think. Having Vardy second feels a bit wrong though.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Kane, when Mourinho doesn`t have him playing DM, that is.

SAFMUTD

1-. Kane great target man, great hold up play and lethal in front of goal.
2-. Vardy great speed and movement, always finds himself in the right spot.
3-. Danny Ings, about the same as Kane but a level below.
4-. Calvert Lewin, great target man.
5 and 6-. Firminho and Raul Jimenez, great hold up players and create a lot of good chances for the wingers.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You expand this out to the world stage and how many more candidates would you have? Lewandowski, Haaland, anyone else in the same class as Kane?

Just shows how few traditional number 9's are about these days. All about wide forwards now

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Kane
  2. Jimenez pre injury
  3. Firmino
  4. Aguero (haven't watched him much recently, injured and all that so he may have declined more)
  5. Cavani
  6. Vardy
  7. Martial
  8. DCL
  9. Werner
  10. Ings
  11. Bamford

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
  1. Kane
  2. Jimenez pre injury
  3. Firmino
  4. Aguero (haven't watched him much recently, injured and all that so he may have declined more)
  5. Cavani
  6. Vardy
  7. Martial
  8. DCL
  9. Werner
  10. Ings
  11. Bamford
No place for Rashford in that list? Surely he's ahead of Bamford and Danny Ings, Werner too.

Josh 76

1. Kane
  2. Jimenez pre injury
  3. Firmino
  5. Cavani
  6. Vardy
  7. Martial
  8. DCL
  9. Werner
  10. Ings
  11. Bamford
20 years agon, only Kane would get in the top 10. (Augero past his best).

dal

Are we all writing Aguero off after 3 months ?

RashyForPM

1. Kane
  2. Jimenez pre injury
  3. Firmino
  5. Cavani
  6. Vardy
  7. Martial
  8. DCL
  9. Werner
  10. Ings
  11. Bamford
No Giroud? He’s always been a better striker than Werner and is proving that this season.

But yeah, decent list and great shout on Jimenez. Completely forgot him because of the injury :houllier:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
1. DCL

2. DCL

3. Kane

EDIT: Being serious this season I would have 1. Kane 2. DCL + Vardy 3. Jimenez + Firminio.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No Giroud? He’s always been a better striker than Werner and is proving that this season.

But yeah, decent list and great shout on Jimenez. Completely forgot him because of the injury :houllier:
Giraud has always been the same, even at Arsenal. Ridiculously effective playing a squad player role, then gets a starting role and the effectiveness goes down.

Werner is a very good striker and showed it at Leipzig with a really good year after year scoring record. Needs time to adjust to the league and needs to play in the right system though, as he's kind of a poacher up there.

RashyForPM

Giraud has always been the same, even at Arsenal. Ridiculously effective playing a squad player role, then gets a starting role and the effectiveness goes down.

Werner is a very good striker and showed it at Leipzig with a really good year after year scoring record. Needs time to adjust to the league and needs to play in the right system though, as he's kind of a poacher up there.
Tbf, Werner has been on the left a lot but he has been underwhelming to say the least, and has never convinced me in the CL as well for Leipzig, and even Chelsea (that miss against Rennes was horrendous). Also, this season, Giroud has been unbelievable. Even from the start, he is scoring goals virtually every time he gets a chance.

marktan

Not including wide forwards. Also surprised no mentions of Watkins who I rate highly.

Kane
Vardy
Jimenez
Firmino
Ings
Martial
Watkins
DCL
Giroud / Abraham / Auba (current form)
Agueros half injured legs
Chris Woods massive head

Tbh quite hard to rank, DCLs position is quite harsh since his finishing and hold up is strong, I've just valued link up play and on-the-ball running higher from the likes of Firmino / Martial / Watkins as it's essential in 4-3-3 formations to bring in the wide forwards. Could arguably make two separate lists for link up play and finishing.

dinostar77

One of the tabloids speculating that spurs could sell Harry Kane for a bid around £150mil to one of the Manchester clubs.

Its a tabloid so dont take it seriously but got me thinking. If HK was available this summer. How much do you think he'd go for? Hes 27 so at the peak and he has alot of football miles under his belt. So is it worth the spend? Who would he suit more us or city?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
One of the tabloids speculating that spurs could sell Harry Kane for a bid around £150mil to one of the Manchester clubs.

Its a tabloid so dont take it seriously but got me thinking. If HK was available this summer. How much do you think he'd go for? Hes 27 so at the peak and he has alot of football miles under his belt. So is it worth the spend? Who would he suit more us or city?
I doubt any team will be paying that kind of transfer until we see how Covid goes.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
£150m? No way. I can see transfer prices being low-ish for the next 18 months.

dinostar77

£150m? No way. I can see transfer prices being low-ish for the next 18 months.
PSG Mbappe price for this summer is £175mil allegedly and he only has a year left on his contract. I guess the very top end of elite players is covid proof.

of course they would sell him fir £150m!

no one is bidding that for him. He’s made his bed with the contract he signed. He would need to make a play to move if he was to go.

realistically, if he moved this summer it would be for £70-80m.

dinostar77

of course they would sell him fir £150m!

no one is bidding that for him. He’s made his bed with the contract he signed. He would need to make a play to move if he was to go.

realistically, if he moved this summer it would be for £70-80m.
As i said in the striker options thread. Hes reaching that stage in his career where he needs to make a decision like batigol did when at Fiorentina. Stay and have no medals or go elsewhere and try to get medals ala PL and or CL. Batigol joined Roma and got his Serie A medal. Question is whether Kane would push for a move and how much Levy would want. I dont see him moving this summer. But his window is narrowing.