Who are the best two-way wingers of all-time?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The recent winger thread reminded me how much Antony annoys me in how predictable he is - get close to the penalty are and cut in (every single time). This got me thinking, which wingers were the best two-way wingers, in that who could as easily cut inside or go outside his full-back?

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Not sure why, but Ginola and Barnes were my first thoughts

Bokito

Robben. Started out as a typical “go around and cross” left winger, but evolved into a “cut inside and shoot” right winger….

tomaldinho1

Not a classic winger but he played off the left predominately, no one can be above Ronaldinho surely? Guy could go both ways, shoot, cross, bully you off the ball or just flick it over your head.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Eden Hazard. Scored as many CL knockout goals with his left as he did with his right. How much better could it possibly get?

Castia

Robben

Brilliant winger who had everything at his peak

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
I’ve never personally seen a winger as genuinely two footed as Dembele. Watching him it isn’t clear what his preferred foot is? He seems to nonchalantly cross, shoot, pass with both.

That said, clearly he isn’t an all time great in that regard. But he probably should be.

I agree that Nedved is a very good shout.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Robben

Brilliant winger who had everything at his peak
But everyone knew Robben was going to cut in on his left. He wasn’t unpredictable or rarely took players on by going on the outside. But he was so good at what he did that he was virtually unstoppable.

kaku06

Again, Franck Ribery.

Everyone mentioned above don’t even come close.

Also, Simao, Sadio Mane, Gareth bale deserve a shout.

Righteous Steps

Did he ever combine the two though?
I don't think so, thats why he used to get shouts of being predictable, when he started playing on the right it was cut in and shoot, dribble or pass, of course he did it a lot of times to absolute devastation but hes certainly no Figo in that respect.

El Jefe

Bale, Coman, Nani are exceptional on both sides.

Figo is a great shout as is a young Cristiano that played with us, he was incredible on the inside or outside.

SambaBoy

I think some posters are getting confused by what the OP meant. I don't think the question was what wingers were the best at playing both LM/RM or what wingers were equally good going forward as they were defending.

A lot of wingers have a preference for attacking their man on the outside, whilst some are more comfortable cutting in. Valencia for example would always go on the outside of his man, whilst Robben mostly cut inside. As has been mentioned, Nani was difficult to defend against playing RW as he would cut inside or go round his man on the outside. Greenwood was also very good at this due to his two footedness and defenders found it very difficult to defend against.

Giggs in his prime was excellent at dropping a shoulder to come inside, beat his man for pace and carry on outside or across goal like the goal against Juventus or equally he would put on the burners and beat defenders on the outside.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think some posters are getting confused by what the OP meant. I don't think the question was what wingers were the best at playing both LM/RM or what wingers were equally good going forward as they were defending.

A lot of wingers have a preference for attacking their man on the outside, whilst some are more comfortable cutting in. Valencia for example would always go on the outside of his man, whilst Robben mostly cut inside. As has been mentioned, Nani was difficult to defend against playing RW as he was cut inside or go round his man on the outside. Greenwood was also very good at this due to his two footedness and defenders found it very difficult to defend against.

Giggs in his prime was excellent at dropping a shoulder to come inside, beat his man for pace and carry on outside or across goal like the goal against Juventus or equally he would put on the burners and beat defenders on the outside.
Correct interpretation.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Mahrez is superb. Classic example of how being "good enough" on your wrong foot opens up the game. Defenders can't afford to just "show him down the outside" as he'll put in a dangerous cross.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Two way should surely be attack and defence? Infield and by line seems a bit pointless as most of the best players can go either way (but have a clear preference for one)..

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
A two-way winger would be one that works both offensive and defensively.

Hashtag semantics.