Who are the top five Premier League CBs?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That is not a fair comparison. Those CB were facing very different challenges to the ones today. 10 years ago nobody had the attacking power of City or even Liverpool or Spurs nowadays. I am not saying those teams were weaker overall but attacking wise, they indeed were. 10 years ago almost everybody played a more patient game where the big encounters were boxing matches with two teams sitting off each other and waiting to capitalize on mistakes. The best teams in us and Chelsea and briefly Liverpool relied more on the individual brilliance of Ronaldo, Torres and Drogba to unlock those big games. It is a totally different ballgame now with many teams pressing high and committing more men forward. It makes them concede more goals but it also means the CBs deal with a different challenge. That's not of course to say the defenders on your list were not world class because they did what was needed in their specific environment but I am not sure they would fare the same way in today's PL as John Terry himself admitted when talking about the current City team.
Yeah fair points - always key to take into account the wider environment. For me the current generation of Premier League centre-halves are one of the best over the last 25 years or so. If you plonked today's guys into mid-1990s Premier League, they'd compare very well IMO. Perhaps not as suited to the more direct crossing-based game, but much more adept against clever movement from nimble strikers in Europe, which was usually a major failing at the time. And they look better than most of the top guys, Kompany apart, from the first half of the 2010s. For me the current generation only fall short of the sweet spot of the defenders in the second half of the 2000s, albeit they were slightly different beasts as the contain-and-counter model of the best English teams from that era required a different defensive skillset than the more expansive approach in place today.

GM K

The ways I said in my post. Just because a manager buys a player doesn't mean that player always works out to be well suited to the manager. Fortunately I think Bailly is so good that Mourinho will keep him as first choice regardless, but it explains why he has been too willing to drop him a couple of times with very little reason to do so. And for more than just a 'brief spell' - it was basically most of the second half of last season, to my recollection.
Bailly was injured a lot last season and each time he got back, we had two center backs who had been playing well for a while. Mourinho did not drop him a couple of times with very little reason to do so. That's just not correct at all. Minus that brief spell during the tail end of last season, when else did Mourinho drop Bailly?

Havak

Pokemon master
My list would change every 12-18 months, which says a lot about defenders in the modern era. Defending isn't sexy, it's not flashy. They're not as good at defending as players were as little as six years ago when I could have probably picked the same 5-6 players from then to even five years before that consistently. Therein lies the problem, consistency. No one seems to do it on a consistent basis whether it be to major drops in form or injuries. Pre-injury, I think Alderweireld was the best the league had seen since peak Ferdinand/Vidic/Terry/Kompany, but with lack of playing time for about 18 months can he just be put back in a top 5 list without any argument? Absolutely not.

Defenders aren't very good any more, and it's why we've struggled in our pursuit of any in our league for a while now (especially this last Summer transfer window).

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
My list would change every 12-18 months, which says a lot about defenders in the modern era. Defending isn't sexy, it's not flashy. They're not as good at defending as players were as little as six years ago when I could have probably picked the same 5-6 players from then to even five years before that consistently. Therein lies the problem, consistency. No one seems to do it on a consistent basis whether it be to major drops in form or injuries. Pre-injury, I think Alderweireld was the best the league had seen since peak Ferdinand/Vidic/Terry/Kompany, but with lack of playing time for about 18 months can he just be put back in a top 5 list without any argument? Absolutely not.

Defenders aren't very good any more, and it's why we've struggled in our pursuit of any in our league for a while now (especially this last Summer transfer window).
Yeah, it kinda correlates with the move towards the high pressing game, which inevitably exposes CBs to one on ones in counter attack positions, pressed on the ball, whilst also having to deal with big target men. To be obviously good, you have to be absolutely rapid, strong as an Ox, read the game perfectly, dominant in the air, concentration levels through the roof and good on the ball. Most CBs these days fail on 2-3 of these.

Oh, and not injury prone ;)

Revan

Assumptionman
Vertonghen, VVD, Alder, Otamendi would be my top 4. No standout for the fifth place, but it can be one of Smalling, Bailly, Stones, Maguire, Rudiger etc. Not counting Azpilicueta cause I don't know how good he'll be on a system with only 2 CBs.

I think that Laporte can become the best CB in the league within next season. I hope I am wrong.

Revan

Assumptionman
The 2 best teams in the league, defensive record wise, by far, were United and City. Yet some people think it's ludicrous that defenders from those teams are being mentioned here.
United had De Gea and Pep can make any defender look great by virtue of not having to do any defending. I mean, he won an UCL final with a defense consisting of a rookie Pique, Yaya Toure, Sylvinho or whatever he was called and Pyoul (as RB). And they didn't even had to get out of first gear against a Ronaldo-lead United.

As long as his defenders can pass and his wingbacks can attack, his defense will be great regardless of how good his defenders are at defending.

Nico87

I don't think there's a standout player - they're all much of a muchness.

Azpilicueta is proven good, but I still don't see him as a CB. The Spurs trio are solid enough, but nothing special. VVD looks good but it's too soon to draw any conclusions.. City's defenders all look good, but then again so does the entire team.

And our lot also look perfectly decent, if a little old school in the case of Smalling.

But really, all this shows is a change in the way football is played. Rio and Vidic would be shown up in modern football, because the way it's played is changing. Defenders are footballers first, not defenders, so the classic CB is a dying breed.
Absolute nonsense, A prime Rio Ferdinand would be the best centre half in the world right now.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Vertonghen
Van Dijk
Alderweireld
Stones
Maguire

Not counting Azpi as I still see him more as a full back but he would be in there definitely if not.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
United had De Gea
Goals United conceded:

2014: 43
2015: 37
2016: 35
2017: 28

So that dip in goals conceded over the last season was purely driven by DDG, and had nothing to do with our defenders? Try again. I know you're more knowledgeable than that throwaway.

and Pep can make any defender look great by virtue of not having to do any defending. I mean, he won an UCL final with a defense consisting of a rookie Pique, Yaya Toure, Sylvinho or whatever he was called and Pyoul (as RB). And they didn't even had to get out of first gear against a Ronaldo-lead United.

As long as his defenders can pass and his wingbacks can attack, his defense will be great regardless of how good his defenders are at defending.
But how much possession do they give up to the opposition compared to other sides? I’m pretty sure they have more of the ball than most sides do. They also try and win the ball back higher up the pitch and commit tactical fouls which reduces the vulnerability of their defenders in open play you would think?

Educate me City lover!
So what happened 2 seasons ago, when City conceded 41 goals, and were very vulnerable to counter-attacks in high profile games, despite having the same system and pressing present from day 1 of Guardiola's arrival?

A lot of the possession City hold is facilitated by the defenders, who have to be good enough on the ball, not only to pass it forward, but to break the press, split lines, and start attacks and counter-attacks when the opposition sits on the midfielders. That is not something every defender can do.

Apart from their skill on the ball, the high line they utilize makes mistakes more punishing. They have to sweep up through balls and hoofs from the opposition. They have to deploy the offside trap to perfection, as a slip will have a striker through on goal. They have to win the first and second ball (not focusing on that killed them in 2016/17). And a lot of chances against them happen from dead ball situations (free kicks and corners and throw-ins), so they have to dominate in the box against PL teams who throw everyone up to try and get that goal against City.

Stones had a brilliant season for them prior to his hamstring injury, and seems to be back to his best. Otamendi was their best and most consistent defender. A level below Kompany at his best, but enough that him not being on a list of best PL defenders looks ignorant.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Goals United conceded:

2014: 43
2015: 37
2016: 35
2017: 28

So that dip in goals conceded over the last season was purely driven by DDG, and had nothing to do with our defenders? Try again. I know you're more knowledgeable than that throwaway.

So what happened 2 seasons ago, when City conceded 41 goals, and were very vulnerable to counter-attacks in high profile games, despite having the same system and pressing present from day 1 of Guardiola's arrival?

A lot of the possession City hold is facilitated by the defenders, who have to be good enough on the ball, not only to pass it forward, but to break the press, split lines, and start attacks and counter-attacks when the opposition sits on the midfielders. That is not something every defender can do.

Apart from their skill on the ball, the high line they utilize makes mistakes more punishing. They have to sweep up through balls and hoofs from the opposition. They have to deploy the offside trap to perfection, as a slip will have a striker through on goal. They have to win the first and second ball (not focusing on that killed them in 2016/17). And a lot of chances against them happen from dead ball situations (free kicks and corners and throw-ins), so they have to dominate in the box against PL teams who throw everyone up to try and get that goal against City.

Stones had a brilliant season for them prior to his hamstring injury, and seems to be back to his best. Otamendi was their best and most consistent defender. A level below Kompany at his best, but enough that him not being on a list of best PL defenders looks ignorant.
Two Seasons ago they were using Kolarov, Clichy, Sagna and Zabaleta as fullbacks with Stones breaking into the squad. Add that with the terrible season from Bravo and you had them shipping goals.

Since then Peps removed all of the fullbacks and replaced the goalkeeper. Also added one of the best young CBs in Spain, Laporte. No real surprise that City improved, their defense back in 16/17 was a known weakness of theirs. All of their fullbacks were aged 30 or over, now their oldest is Walker aged 28. Peps done a great job replacing that defense to be fair.

Camilo

Absolute nonsense, A prime Rio Ferdinand would be the best centre half in the world right now.
Not the Rio we watched for 10 years - he was a talented arse! I'm sure he could be a top CB in this time in another's life, but transported through time, as he was, he'd be a hindrance in most teams. Because he was a defender, not a footballer. He was a decent player with the ball, but hardly a natural.

adexkola

Supports
Two Seasons ago they were using Kolarov, Clichy, Sagna and Zabaleta as fullbacks with Stones breaking into the squad. Add that with the terrible season from Bravo and you had them shipping goals.

Since then Peps removed all of the fullbacks and replaced the goalkeeper. Also added one of the best young CBs in Spain, Laporte. No real surprise that City improved, their defense back in 16/17 was a known weakness of theirs. All of their fullbacks were aged 30 or over, now their oldest is Walker aged 28. Peps done a great job replacing that defense to be fair.
By the reasoning of those I responded to, the defenders don't do jack shit in Pep's teams because they have possession so I may as well slot in to their back line without a drop in performance.

adexkola

Supports
Not the Rio we watched for 10 years - he was a talented arse! I'm sure he could be a top CB in this time in another's life, but transported through time, as he was, he'd be a hindrance in most teams. Because he was a defender, not a footballer. He was a decent player with the ball, but hardly a natural.
Now I've read it all. Are you sure you watched Rio play at his pomp?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
By the reasoning of those I responded to, the defenders don't do jack shit in Pep's teams because they have possession so I may as well slot in to their back line without a drop in performance.
Oh for sure, thats horse shit. Peps has to be commended for replacing an aging and error prone defense with a young and athletic one. Granted it cost a fortune to do, but it's got results.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It says a lot about how the quality of CB's in the league has dropped when you try and list a top five from 10 years ago.

Terry
Ferdinand
Vidic
Carragher/Hyypia maybe?
Carvalho
King. Gallas would have been up there too.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
King. Gallas would have been up there too.
Oh yeah forgot about King. Fantastic CB when fit. When thinking of Gallas I always have the image of him sitting in the middle of the pitch after that game with Birmingham, sulking in an Arsenal shirt.

Fosu-Mens

1. VVD
2-5 Alderveireld, Vertonghen, Azpi, Stones.

When Bailly has his day he is on level with VVD, but far to inconsistent.
Lindelof big weakness is his physique, gets bullied by big attackers. Get to the weightroom.
Smalling is great in the air and effective when we are parking the bus, but a problem in most other areas.
Rojo and Jones... neh.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
What in the actual feck? Rio was the leader and CB most teams dream about having.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not sure I've seen anyone so far off the mark with their assessment of a player than this.

From wiki..

Ferdinand was considered an atypical defensive product of English football due to his more elegant, "continental" style of defensive play;[80] in particular, he was singled out for his unique technical ability and confidence on the ball, as well as his distribution and ability to play the ball on the ground.[81][82][83] Ferdinand is regarded as one of the best defenders of his generation,[84]and as one of England's best ever centrebacks.[80][82] In his prime, he was also praised for his pace and tackling,[83] in addition to his positioning and ability to read the game.[80][85][86] He was also a strong defender who was reliable in the air,[80] with strong leadership qualities.[83]

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Just a honest question: Did United go for VVD? and if they didn't, why didnt they go for him?
Because Klopp had spent a year tapping him up, and probably cost. We had more pressing matters.

Only one I would like to see us fork out a VVD type fee on is Koulibaly.

Camilo

I'm not sure I've seen anyone so far off the mark with their assessment of a player than this.

From wiki..

Ferdinand was considered an atypical defensive product of English football due to his more elegant, "continental" style of defensive play;[80] in particular, he was singled out for his unique technical ability and confidence on the ball, as well as his distribution and ability to play the ball on the ground.[81][82][83] Ferdinand is regarded as one of the best defenders of his generation,[84]and as one of England's best ever centrebacks.[80][82] In his prime, he was also praised for his pace and tackling,[83] in addition to his positioning and ability to read the game.[80][85][86] He was also a strong defender who was reliable in the air,[80] with strong leadership qualities.[83]
Yep, in his day he was great. I just don't think he'd be as impressive in today's game.

buckooo1978

1. Van Dijk
  2. Vertonghen
  3. Azpilicueta
  4. Alderweireld
  5. Bailly/laporte/maguire/fit kompany etc..
I'd say Van Dijk is the best one by a distance, has it all. Smalling aerial dominance (except in both boxes), very good ability on the ball, reads the game well, doesnt panic, dominant 1v1 and physically and with pace, etc.
Bailly can probably be top 3 if he can stay fit and play to his potential. As it is, cant have him too high.
agree with this - Eric would be higher in the list if he stays fit and starts to dominate the defence

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yep, in his day he was great. I just don't think he'd be as impressive in today's game.
You said he was a defender, not a footballer, when in reality he was excellent on the ball and with his distribution out the back along with being a world class defender. Hes one that read the game brilliantly and rarely even gave away fouls. Hes one that would be world class whatever era you put him in. Had very good ability on the ball, had pace, strength, the height you want, etc. Hes basically like what many think Varane will turn in to. And Varane is up there with any CB currently.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
You said he was a defender, not a footballer, when in reality he was excellent on the ball and with his distribution out the back along with being a world class defender. Hes one that read the game brilliantly and rarely even gave away fouls. Hes one that would be world class whatever era you put him in. Had very good ability on the ball, had pace, strength, the height you want, etc. Hes basically like what many think Varane will turn in to. And Varane is up there with any CB currently.
I think Rio's last couple of seasons screwed up people's memories of him. His distribution did become pretty poor and I remember regular complaints of him hoofing the ball, but when he came through and in his prime, he was excellent with the ball.

He started his career as an attacking midfielder ffs, there's no way he was poor on the ball.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Vertonghen
Alderweirald
VVD
Laporte

And I really like James Tarkowski.

Andersons Dietician

You don’t think Rio would be impressive in today’s game? Why so? Do you just mean you feel like now CB’s have caught up to what he was doing a decade ago or have surpassed him or that he just wouldn’t fit in the way the game is played now?

Personally I think any manager in modern football would army crawl over broken glass butt naked to get him in their team.

Anyone remember in Korea where Ronaldo had found his form again and I think it was a quarter final and Rio danced around this most feared striker in world football without a care in the world. Sure he did a drag back or something, binned Ronaldo and moved forward. Just seem to remember the audacity of that.

TwoSheds

Oh yeah forgot about King. Fantastic CB when fit. When thinking of Gallas I always have the image of him sitting in the middle of the pitch after that game with Birmingham, sulking in an Arsenal shirt.
Yeah, fair, but he was fantastically talented and played really well all across the back 4 under Ranieri and Mourinho. I think he was a bit mentally fragile but that doesn't make him not a great player. Dare I say it, Pogba hasn't proved anything mentality wise outside of the WC yet, but he's still top 5 midfielders in the world in my book. Some players get it eventually like I believe Pogba has / will, and others like Gallas never get it but perform at a world class level with the right teammates. Also, don't forget Arsenal and Arsene can really feck a player up mentality wise too. Think Sol Campbell, from imperious leader to crying nutjob.

Jib

This thread shows how the quality of the defenders really dropped since a few years...

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
1. Vertonghen
2. Alderweireld
3. Van Dijk
4. Bailly
5. Otamendi

I didn't include Kompany cause he's barely fit and Azpilicueta will only work well as a CB in a 3 CB formation.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ferdinand and King would have been absolute superstars in the modern game. It's guys like Carragher and Terry that might have struggled a bit at the very top level ... but not Ferdinand or King. Those guys were built for this era of football, and almost came around "too soon".

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Also - amazed at how many people are listing Alderweireld in their top 5, if we are going by how good they are right now. He was the best center half in the PL until the middle of 2016/17 season, but he has not recovered to close to that level after the knee and hamstring injuries. Vertonghen has been much better for quite some time now and is, imo, the best defender in the PL and has been for about a season and a half at least.

TwoSheds

Ferdinand and King would have been absolute superstars in the modern game. It's guys like Carragher and Terry that might have struggled a bit at the very top level ... but not Ferdinand or King. Those guys were built for this era of football, and almost came around "too soon".
Much as I dislike Terry, he was still dominating most Championship strikers last year on one leg. He was very decent on the ball so to lump him in with Carragher (who, by the way, would still be a quality centre back in the modern game since he could actually defend), is rather unfair.

arnie_ni

You've clearly never watched rio then! He was well ahead if his time