Who do you think will win the World Cup and why?

GeorgieBoy

Hopefully not Argentina as the Messi love-in would be pretty annoying. I think Spain have the best 11, and hope they win because De Gea deserves it!

Raru9

Brazil and Germany are the most stronger teams. One of them will be the champions.

My heart wants to Argentina win the WC, but objectively i only see reach Quarter-Finals against France... Or maybe Semis against Spain.

Loublaze

ATLien
I hope Messi wins it for Argentina but I think Germany obviously will be very strong contenders.

automaticflare

Argentina

Why:
Messi

I think this is his last chance, he wins it he goes down as the greatest ever without doubt and he would deserve it too.

Portugal also in with a great chance

Swift Football

Spain is the strongest team for me, and will go on to win it.

Argentina - Obviously they have Messi who can win games on his own. Apart from attack, they seem very ordinary in midfield and defence though. I want Argentina to win it for Messi.
Brazil - Team looks pretty solid. Apart from Neymar, I feel their atack line is pretty average. Dani Alves at RB could be a weak link.
France - Amazing talents. I feel their defence is susceptible - Lloris, Sidibe and even Umtiti. And looks like, Giroud will lead their attack which is okay but not great.
Germany - They seem to turn up in world cup. Quality players all around the pitch except maybe the striker, Werner is no Klose. But, even if they decide to play Schurrle there, i wont be surprised if he hit some 5/6 goals, thats how they play for NT. Will fall short against Spain though.

SwSw

I'm rooting for Germany, Portugal or Columbia since my favorite Dutch team couldn't bother to qualify.

TheReligion

Abusive
Spain is the strongest team for me, and will go on to win it.

Argentina - Obviously they have Messi who can win games on his own. Apart from attack, they seem very ordinary in midfield and defence though. I want Argentina to win it for Messi.
Brazil - Team looks pretty solid. Apart from Neymar, I feel their atack line is pretty average. Dani Alves at RB could be a weak link.
France - Amazing talents. I feel their defence is susceptible - Lloris, Sidibe and even Umtiti. And looks like, Giroud will lead their attack which is okay but not great.
Germany - They seem to turn up in world cup. Quality players all around the pitch except maybe the striker, Werner is no Klose. But, even if they decide to play Schurrle there, i wont be surprised if he hit some 5/6 goals, thats how they play for NT. Will fall short against Spain though.
I think you're bring over critical to Brazil. They have the strongest balance I feel. In attack Neymar, Willian, Costa, Jesus will cause havoc. They have good options and Dani Alves rarely let's them down.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
The Germans, because the Germans always win
* They have lost more then they have won;
* Brazil has won more WC then the Germans;
* They are the confedarations cup winner and those never won the WC the year after;
* Probably the teams they play won't play without their best players like in last WC Brazil and Portugal (Ronaldo played but was injured);

They will go far but they won't be back to back champions.

Rajma

Uruguay. Last final push from the old guard for La Celeste, might not play the bestest football but Suarez and Cavani up top is a nightmare to play against for any team, no matter what. Another difference between then and dark horses like Belgium, is that these guys go to every match like to the war.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Portugal won't win it, but it'd be so lovely to see the Messi brigade go into complete meltdown. :drool:

Sterling Archer

Portugal won't win it, but it'd be so lovely to see the Messi brigade go into complete meltdown. :drool:
I never fully understood this immense loyalty to one player over the other especially in international football. Unlessy you happen to be Argentinian, Portuguese or one of their bastard sons the fuss takes away from appreciating two of history's greatest .

I'd love to see a story book performance by either Ronaldo or Messi leading their country to glory. As a neutral without the US to cheer on, that would be most exciting. Thinking back to the last few WCs it all fades into this hodge podge of really well rounded teams methodically making their way to victory. Not dull, just not as memorable.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I think it’s much more open than in recent world cups. I can’t see any particular favourite.

France have probably the best team but find a way to throw it when it’s not ok France.

Likes of Spain, Germany, Brazil and Argentina all have some weaknesses going into it.

If someone forced me to take a guess though I’d probably go with Brazil.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Teams that take United players don't win WC (Last time a Utd player won the WC was in 1966).
So among the major teams that leaved out only Brazil and Germany. No team has won Confederations cup and WC in back to back years, so that leaves out Brazil!

Donut

Who knows, but I'm putting 100 euros on Argentina. I feel they're underpriced at 10-1. You always have a great chance when you have Messi, and the rest of their team is decent too. And not like there are any truly amazing teams out there right now.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Since Chile bottled their qualification, ill be rooting for our neighbours Peru.

I think the winner will be one of Germany/france/brazil

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Germany have the best central defence, goalkeeper and midfield, IMO. I think they have to be favorites to win the cup again.

France have to be up there. I think they should be better then what they're showing, but again their defence is very good, lots of quality in midfield and their attack has to be the best. Griezmann is the counterpart to Thomas Muller and these type of players almost always find a way to score.

In my opinion Brazil are severly overrated. I'm not sold on their defence, they're very attacking and pragmatic teams will find ways to get behind the likes of Marcelo, who is at least a level below then when at Madrid. Furthermore Brazil lack a creative midfielder such as Gundogan or Kroos and their attack is overrated, Neymar is a very good player, but not efficient enough and overall they're not good enough to outscore the likes of Germany or France.

Argentina have the same problems as Brazil, but Messi can take them far. But in the last world cup he couldn't make the difference in the final against a world class team, he's not that good. He needs better support, which Argentina isn't giving him.

Spain should be better, but i still see the same players such as Iniesta or David Silva regularly playing. They should have integrated some more of the younger generations and Diego Costa should be their focal point. They didn't do it, so i expect France or Germany to put them out when it really matters.

Other teams take only part, shouldn't stand a stance during the knockout rounds.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Lots of jokes but I genuinely think England will at least get to the final or win it. All of our starting players are Champions League quality or above and Southgate is someone who has had great success at international tournaments before... Our players are ideally suited and impecccably drilled in a 3-5-2 which is something most other formations simply don't perform against, nor do international teams have sufficient time to tactically prepare against such a style. Each big team has a big weakness with egos that prevent the weaknesses being serviced, whereas we feel no pressure to do anything other than stick four layers of chemical adhesive over ours even to the detriment of flashiness. And history shows that flashing in big tournaments doesn't pay. I've already stuck a tenner on.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
* They have lost more then they have won;
4 finals won, 4 finals lost
* Brazil has won more WC then the Germans;
Only because we were cheated in '66 :D And give it some time... i can remember when Bayern didn'T have the most BuLI titles... Nürnberg had. All in good time, all in good time.
* They are the confedarations cup winner and those never won the WC the year after;
The CF cup was won by Germany B
* Probably the teams they play won't play without their best players like in last WC Brazil and Portugal (Ronaldo played but was injured);
pfff we had to bring Mustafi as a replacement for Reus :p

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They should have integrated some more of the younger generations and Diego Costa should be their focal point.
Diego Costa is a strange body on their team, everytime he plays for them they become worse not better.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Diego Costa is a strange body on their team, everytime he plays for them they become worse not better.
They should just push through the bad spell. Costa has done it in Spain, England and the UCL. You'd be stupid to do without his qualities. Same applies for Benzema, IMO.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They should just push through the bad spell. Costa has done it in Spain, England and the UCL. You'd be stupid to do without his qualities. Same applies for Benzema, IMO.
His football style doesn't mix well with their team, ask any Spanish poster here.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This, Spain should go with either Rodrigo or a false 9.
Yup I think he will go with Rodrigo, if Morata was playing consistently at Chelsea he would go with them, don't remember great performances from Diego Costa with Spain, he is good for a Simeone team, not to use the brain.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
England.....its our year and if not it will be in 4 years....or 4 years after that....or.....

To be fair though, I don't think there are many stand out teams this year. I think it will be a fairly well balanced world cup.

There are a few teams with bunches of stand out players, but can't think of many well balanced teams.