Who I would like us to go for when we offload Pogba?

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
I cannot wait to offload the toxicity that is Pogba and his Agent who United should ban from ever gaining access to our grounds again. These are some of the players that I would like United to target in January:

James Ward Prowse -Southampton - Very Good Player who has some great potential in a better team could grow and become a great player. Has determination, skill and a great free kick I have admired James Ward-Prowse for many years. And he could do nice alongside Van De Beek and Bruno.

Jack Grealish - Aston Villa - Great Player in a very average Villa Side would be a great addition however, I doubt Villa will allow him to leave in January unless for a stupid amount of money.

Declan Rice - West Ham - Very Good Player who again has great potential at his age and could be do able in January .

Ruben Neves - Wolves - Great Player who can not only dominate games but score worldies that we haven't seen since Nani was playing for us, could do well alongside his Portugal team-mate Bruno.

James Maddison - Leicester - Great Player who can go on and do so much better if Leicester allow him to leave. But would require a massive bid and unlikely to let go in January.

Marco Verrati - PSG - Possible Swap if PSG interested in Pogba and would be a fantastic acquisition to replace Pogba, someone I have admired for years.

These are some of the players I would like us to possibly go for when we offload Pogba, who are your selections?

Jericholyte2

Neves / Zakaria / Camavinga / Ndidi for me, depending on the type of midfielder you want to replace him with.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the rumours for Milinkovic-Savic resurface. He really is the complete midfielder and is good for a goal. A powerhouse with excellent passing.

He isn’t actually too dissimilar to Pogba but he brings far more workrate.

Champagne Football

Let's be realistic here. Verrati is a non starter. Camavinga keeps saying he wants Madrid. Chelsea are crazy to sign Rice and he supports them.

Zakaria or Neves perhaps.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This is getting tiring, can't we just stay in one thread?

What if there is a brilliant idea in one of other threads and we miss it?!

jamesjimmybyrondean

So many Pogba threads :lol: He definitely knows how to steal the spotlight. Wouldn't be surprised if at a point the front page of the football section is filled with Pogba threads

saivet

I think Neves would be the perfect type of player. I've not watched much of Wolves lately, so not sure what his form is like, but someone like him would be ideal. Pretty solid defensively but also a progressive passer and offers a threat from range.

The only two player mentioned in the OP that I'd be fully against would be Maddison and JWP. Maddison is a good player but with Bruno and VDB, I don't see the point in signing him and I think JWP is a pretty average player with great set pieces.

Murray3007

I cannot wait to offload the toxicity that is Pogba and his Agent who United should ban from ever gaining access to our grounds again. These are some of the players that I would like United to target in January:

James Ward Prowse good player just not for me, plus would be looking at 50m at least

Jack Grealish - more a martial replacment for me rather then Pogba, be an excellent addition more likely a summer move

Declan Rice - reads the game superb, very good at tackling would allow us to play Bruno and DVB roughly 60m fee ?

Ruben Neves - excellent player who would be my first choice, good on the ball, can dictate the tempo, willing to tackle, not sure on a fee 60m something like that ?

James Maddison - not for me more a 10 then a CM player, needs to get back to his form at the start of last season before linked to big clubs again, also would cost a bomb

Marco Verrati - just no, minds me of jack wilshire, had some excellent games when he was younger and lived of them for years,

laughtersassassin

Who in their right mind would buy Veratti? He is/was class but his injury record is terrible.

Makes Thiago look invincible

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Dear Santa...

Red_toad

Let's be realistic here. Verrati is a non starter. Camavinga keeps saying he wants Madrid. Chelsea are crazy to sign Rice and he supports them.

Zakaria or Neves perhaps.
No he’s doesn’t. He’s quite taken with the EPL and would love to play in it.

Flanders Devil

Nice one! I said Camavinga in a previous thread. And for me it’s him and Neves I would want most.

I’ve always thought Neves would suit us.

RkkMan

James Ward Prowse -Southampton - Very Good Player who has some great potential in a better team could grow and become a great player. Has determination, skill and a great free kick I have admired James Ward-Prowse for many years. And he could do nice alongside Van De Beek and Bruno.

Jack Grealish - Aston Villa - Great Player in a very average Villa Side would be a great addition however, I doubt Villa will allow him to leave in January unless for a stupid amount of money.

Declan Rice - West Ham - Very Good Player who again has great potential at his age and could be do able in January .

Ruben Neves - Wolves - Great Player who can not only dominate games but score worldies that we haven't seen since Nani was playing for us, could do well alongside his Portugal team-mate Bruno.

James Maddison
- Leicester - Great Player who can go on and do so much better if Leicester allow him to leave. But would require a massive bid and unlikely to let go in January.

Marco Verrati - PSG - Possible Swap if PSG interested in Pogba and would be a fantastic acquisition to replace Pogba, someone I have admired for years.

These are some of the players I would like us to possibly go for when we offload Pogba, who are your selections?
Ruben Neves is one of the biggest false images in the PL. Outside his worldies he`s a very overhyped and slightly above average CM genuinely no better than Dendoncker or Moutinho watch him and you`ll see or better yet ask Wolves fans who also dont rate him as highly as many people on the CAF do

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think Neves would be the perfect type of player. I've not watched much of Wolves lately, so not sure what his form is like, but someone like him would be ideal. Pretty solid defensively but also a progressive passer and offers a threat from range.
I've said this for a while.
It doesn't always have to be the biggest names, or be a signing from the biggest clubs, and I just think that Neves would fit United like a glove, and it would be especially interesting to see him alongside Bruno.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Genuine question. Have people watched Neves or is it just highlights? Is he good? Cause he's not always in the Wolves and Portugal starting 11 and once in a while you see comments like "if you've watched Neves you would know he's not that good asides his passing range"

Ruben Neves is one of the biggest false images in the PL. Outside his worldies he`s a very overhyped and slightly above average CM genuinely no better than Dendoncker or Moutinho watch him and you`ll see or better yet ask Wolves fans who also dont rate him as highly as many people on the CAF do
Its not the worldies that interest me but the five long passes per game he averages according to Whoscored. He's like the anti-Fred or McTominay in that sense. They take three or four touches and go sideways, Neves takes one and springs the trap. So much of our slow build up is due to the inability to get the ball forward quickly from defence to attack. Matic, McTominay and Fred all prefer the safe ball, which neutralises Bruno's movement between the lines and the speed we have up top. Neves' whole game is taking a touch and hitting the ball into the runner. That's exactly what we need.

Flanders Devil

D
Disagree completely with this. He’s a very intelligent players that plays his role very well. And importantly it’s a role that we need. Having him as a DLP with Bruno as AM would be perfect for us. Then you adjust the third Midfield cog based on the opponent/situation.

I don’t go on wolves forums, but if they under rate him, then they are mad.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Its not the worldies that interest me but the five long passes per game he averages according to Whoscored. He's like the anti-Fred or McTominay in that sense. They take three or four touches and go sideways, Neves takes one and springs the trap. So much of our slow build up is due to the inability to get the ball forward quickly from defence to attack. Matic, McTominay and Fred all prefer the safe ball, which neutralises Bruno's movement between the lines and the speed we have up top. Neves' whole game is taking a touch and hitting the ball into the runner. That's exactly what we need.
How's his defensive contribution though. Cause Pogba could do what you are saying but didn't fit because he wasn't good defensively

RkkMan

His game is more suited to the no8 role when he doesn`t have much defensive responsibility he`s very average as a DM Wolves don`t play him there anymore. He`d be a luxury player in a position we don`t need to improve(no8 role). He`s a good passer but not a good screener of the defence like Carrick was or a prime Fernandinho which is what we need
D

Disagree completely with this. He’s a very intelligent players that plays his role very well. And importantly it’s a role that we need. Having him as a DLP with Bruno as AM would be perfect for us. Then you adjust the third Midfield cog based on the opponent/situation.

I don’t go on wolves forums, but if they under rate him, then they are mad.
Go and actually watch him or listen to the opinions of his own fans that watch him week in week out. He doesn`t even play as a DM for Wolves anymore because he`s average in that role in this Utd team he`d only be suited to the no8 role where he has little defensive responsibility he`s not a good screener of a defence like people make him out to be

RkkMan

How's his defensive contribution though. Cause Pogba could do what you are saying but didn't fit because he wasn't good defensively
His defensive contribution is average. People are deceived by his hollywood passes and screamers but as a defensive minded CM/DM his attributes for those roles are very average to the extent Nuno stopped using him there and now uses Dendoncker/Moutinho instead

RUCK4444

Genuinely have no idea what people see in Neves.

Scored a few screamers a couple of years ago and hasn’t done much since.

He even tends to come off the bench for Wolves instead of starting from what I’ve seen of them recently.

Neat and tidy play but Ive never seen him control a game like some suggest.

jamesjimmybyrondean

His defensive contribution is average. People are deceived by his hollywood passes and screamers but as a defensive minded CM/DM his attributes for those roles are very average to the extent Nuno stopped using him there and now uses Dendoncker/Moutinho instead
Kind of suspected. Cheers

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nice one! I said Camavinga in a previous thread. And for me it’s him and Neves I would want most.

I’ve always thought Neves would suit us.
Never understood the hype surrounding Neves (apart from his first few games when the hype swept me too). Seems a player who looks great in highlights but isn't in reality.

Web of Bissaka

Maybe instead of the usual suspects whose names are known... we could try and get another Bruno or Hojbjerg?

They're generally unknown until they became famous performing here. Strong scouting there. I would even include Herrera, albeit at a lower tier than the two.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Would like to see us bolster our holding midfield role to get the most out of Fernandes and VDB.

Ndidi would be a great addition, and I'd be keen to get someone in for the role with PL experience. Ward-Prowse would be an interesting squad addition who'd add something different.

Similar to Hjojberg's according to Whoscored. Averages 1.6 interceptions and 1.2 tackles per game.

Dante

Average bang
Neves would fit in as a like-for-like replacement for either one of Fred or McTominay.

The thing with Fred and McTominay is that neither is an orthodox holding midfielder. But when you play them in a pair, they work because they're fantastic as taking turns when pressing, tackling and screening for each other. It's our only partnership that gives United any stability for our superstar forwards to do their thing. The problem is that neither Fred nor McTominay's passing is creative enough in congested matches. That's fine in 75% of games when the simple ball to Bruno is open. But in the the 25% when the opposition can cut off the passing lanes effectively, United are fecked.

So that's where Neves might be able to come into the equation. He may not be the second coming of Luca Modric. But in a pairing with either Fred or McTominay, he can help us remain solid whilst also giving a better link up to Bruno and Rashford. It's more of a Liverpool model than a Real Madrid model. But that doesn't mean it can't take us up a couple of levels. Think about the effect Wijnaldum had on the scousers after he got relegated with Newcastle.