Who is the best transfer of all time?

JSArsenal

There are a few threads on here about poor transfers but I can't remember seeing one like this. I'll only put in one rule, No youth player transfer from one academy to the next.

Hard to look past Cristiano for me in one sense. He won a load of trophies and Real still managed to sell him off for a tidy fee when he was in his mid 30s. But at the same time I feel he only lived up to expectations, or performed at par so to speak. Ronaldo was already the second best player in the world, but did he go up a level at Real Madrid? He also cost a fair amount at the time.

Other contenders I think include Cantona, Lampard, Ronaldinho to Barcelona and Henry to Arsenal. I think Arsene managed to sell him for a profit as well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Rooney to Utd has to be up there. The main reason we won titles in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Top goalscorer in club history.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know for sure but the likes of Van Basten to Milan, Platini to Juventus or Maradona to Napoli were better transfers than the ones mentioned in the thread. When all is said and done Ronaldo only won two league titles in 9 years in a title race that historically only involves two teams. And it took 5 years for them to win the CL and the addition of a lot of top talent.

Edit: And Rooney is a great shout.

Last edited:

OleBoiii

Ronaldo is an obvious one. Both for us and Real.

Aguero for City.

JPRouve

Scout
Thinking about Juventus, the signing of Nedved and Buffon are rarely mentioned but both were perfect for a very long time.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Cantona from Leeds is the one which sticks out for me. Unexpected, not a lot of money and incredibly impactful.

Ronaldo to Madrid was a no brainer. Like buying a Ferrari for full price and then marvelling at how fast it is. Yeah, it's a Ferrari and awesome but it was always going to be.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Our transfers in 05/06
Van Der Sar, Evra, Vidic, Park. 3 instrumental players & a very useful squad player for multiple league titles & a champions league for less than £20m combined

OleBoiii

Our transfers in 05/06
Van Der Sar, Evra, Vidic, Park for less than £20m combined
Holy shit, that must be the best "bulk deal" of all time! 3 of those 4 players became world class and remained so for several seasons and the 4th is one of the greatest squad players ever.

Red Stone

He's not a player that pulls up trees or anything, but Everton have gotten phenomenal mileage out of Seamus Coleman considering his fee. £60,000 for a steady, reliable right back that they've had for 11 seasons now. We could have bought 1,000 Colemans instead of one Di Maria, to put it into perspective.

Oranges038

Value for money - Roy Keane

Longevity - Buffon

Impact - Di Stefano

Game Changer - Jean Marc Bosman

diarm

Vardy or Kante to Leicester maybe?

You could argue that big clubs like United, Real, Milan etc would've always found a way to success eventually. But Leicester did something beyond belief and wouldn't have without either of those two.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Maradona to Napoli.

If considering value for money, then Larsson to Celtic for £600k (although it was a contract issue rather than a fair reflection of his value at the time) - 242 goals in 313 games.

Ronaldo - clearly is one of the best signings of all time. But also one that only a couple of clubs could have made - and perhaps made even better by the fact they managed to sell him for about the same a decade later!

there are clearly many for United. Someone already mentioned Cantona. Another one would be:

Schmeichal for £500k. Played nearly 400 times for United and is one of the best keepers of all time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Holy shit, that must be the best "bulk deal" of all time! 3 of those 4 players became world class and remained so for several seasons and the 4th is one of the greatest squad players ever.
It’s close between that & Leicester getting Vardy, Mahrez & Kante for a combined £8m

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Without delving into free-transfer territory, the single best deal might be 18 year old Gerd Müller from Nördlingen to Bayern Munich for the equivalent of ~€120,000 in today's market, especially if you consider his year-over-year progression — as he wasn't an established Galáctico like Di Stéfano or Cristiano when they joined Madrid for copious amounts of money.
  • 500+ total goals for the club over a period of 15 years, and a through professional for the most part.
  • 4 x European Cup top scorer (trails only Cristiano and Messi in this category).
  • 7 x Bundesliga top scorer and highest overall scorer in the competition. Also 3 x German Cup top scorer and highest overall scorer in the competition.
  • Highest goal ratio among top scorers in the European Cup (0.97), the Bundesliga (0.85) and the German Cup (1.26).
  • Catapulted Bayern from Regionalliga Süd stature to European royalty with the Kaiser, as opposed to joining an already great club and giving them an edge.
‟If it hadn't been for him we might still be living in the old wood shed” — Franz Beckenbauer

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pogba to Juve. Free transfer, won the title with them for 3/4 years then got sold for £80m profit.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He's not a player that pulls up trees or anything, but Everton have gotten phenomenal mileage out of Seamus Coleman considering his fee. £60,000 for a steady, reliable right back that they've had for 11 seasons now. We could have bought 1,000 Colemans instead of one Di Maria, to put it into perspective.
Our wage bill would have been astronomical though. I also think Van Gaal would have had problems keeping them all happy.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Without delving into free-transfer territory, the single best deal might be 18 year old Gerd Müller from Nördlingen to Bayern Munich for the equivalent of ~€120,000 in today's market, especially if you consider his year-over-year progression — as he wasn't an established Galáctico like Di Stéfano or Cristiano when they joined Madrid for copious amounts of money.
  • 500+ total goals for the club over a period of 15 years, and a through professional for the most part.
  • 4 x European Cup top scorer (trails only Cristiano and Messi in this category).
  • 7 x Bundesliga top scorer and highest overall scorer in the competition. Also 3 x German Cup top scorer and highest overall scorer in the competition.
  • Highest goal ratio among top scorers in the European Cup (0.97), the Bundesliga (0.85) and the German Cup (1.26).
  • Catapulted Bayern from Regionalliga Süd stature to European royalty with the Kaiser, as opposed to joining an already great club and giving them an edge.
Very good shout. Probably the single most influential player in Bayern's rise from a regional nobody to international top club.

Other great transfers we did in the last 10+ years:
Neuer
Ribery
Robben
Lewandowski

The list will be expanded by Kimmich and Goretzka if they keep up their level for a few more years.

JPRouve

Scout
It's a bit of a tangent but I'm intrigued by the likes of Muller and Fontaine. Their goalscoring records are exceptional and it makes no sense, whenever you hear their contemporaries talk about them you can see that they are in awe yet the younger generations overlook them. At least I know that I rarely think about Muller.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Van Dijk has to be up there somewhere
1 champions league and 1 league title for a world record fee in the same window they also bought a goalkeeper for a world record fee? Nah not for me.

Vidic: 5 League titles, 1 Champions League, £7m.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Ronaldo to United. Seeing him grow from a flamboyant but raw young winger to a goal machine was something else. And he was bought for a relatively cheap price.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Without delving into free-transfer territory, the single best deal might be 18 year old Gerd Müller from Nördlingen to Bayern Munich for just ~€120,000 in today's money, especially if you consider his year-over-year progression — as he wasn't an established Galáctico like Di Stéfano or Cristiano when they joined Madrid for copious amounts of money.
Was about to write that - 4.400 DM for Nördlingen, 800 DM/month* for Müller and a part-time job at a furniture store.

(* Other sources say 160-170/month, the figure above is from a recent biography.)
  • 500+ total goals for the club over a period of 15 years.
  • 7 x Bundesliga top scorer and 3 x German Cup top scorer.
  • Catapulted Bayern from Regionalliga Süd stature to European royalty with the Kaiser.
Important to note that he only played in five. In the other one he came second.

By my count, of all competitions he ever played in (48), he finished top scorer in 22, second in 13, and third in 5. So top three in 40/48.

Last edited:

Red Stone

Van Dijk has to be up there somewhere
I'd put him below Vidic and on a similar level to Rio. Very similar to Rio, when you think about it. Both signed for astronomical fees, Van Dijk has been the missing piece of the puzzle for Liverpool, while Rio was a huge part of a defence that won a ridiculous amount of trophies. Who goes on top depends on what you value most of level of influence and trophy haul, as Van Dijk has been more influential but Rio still eclipses him in the latter category as of now, and hopefully forever. Vidic wins by default for me due to his low cost and similar level of performance to the other two. He never let in seven goals in one game either.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hard to look past Gerd Müller if we are talking all clubs and all-time

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It's a bit of a tangent but I'm intrigued by the likes of Muller and Fontaine. Their goalscoring records are exceptional and it makes no sense, whenever you hear their contemporaries talk about them you can see that they are in awe yet the younger generations overlook them. At least I know that I rarely think about Muller.
In Germany Gerd Müller is still pretty much a household name.

slored1

Ronaldo to Madrid or Lewa to Bayern for me. Two utterly dominant forces and Lewa was even on a free.

JPRouve

Scout
In Germany Gerd Müller is still pretty much a household name.
As it should. To be clear, whenever there is a thread about best striker ever or in this case best transfer, I don't think about Muller but when he is mentioned it is near impossible to look past him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
1. Di Stéfano to Real Madrid. It's hard to imagine a more impactful transfer not only in terms of the trophies won/goals scored, but also in terms of completely changing club's overall stature. Beckenbauer/Cruyff did a similar thing for Bayern and Ajax, but don't count in this one. Cristiano had made a comparable impact in terms of an actual in-game contribution, but I don't think that Real Madrid's stature significantly changed because of him (only in short-term maybe), it was arguably the biggest/greatest club of all-time and it still remains one.
2. Maradona to Napoli. A huge bet — a mid-table club signing a mercurial talent for a world-record fee, but it couldn't have turned out any better. Napoli weren't able to capitalise on the success that Maradona brought to them, and that's why it's hard for me to put this transfer on par with Di Stéfano's, but it's pretty close. The individual impact that Maradona had on Napoli is possibly unmatched by anyone in history of the game.

As for some of the other transfers (mentioned and not):
  • not entirely sure about van Basten, although the summer of 1987 surely goes in history as one of the most impactful transfer windows of all-time. To get both van Basten and Gullit in one window is cheating (and I'm not even mentioning Rijkaard who came a year later). Van Basten's injuries stopped him from making a Di Stéfano/Maradona-esque impact on AC Milan's history, although he was capable of reaching comparable heights
  • Cristiano probably makes a top-5 — it was a huge, huge sum but they've pretty much got it back by selling him and his individual impact is simply insane
  • Puskás is probably the greatest free transfer of all-time
  • Cantona should be somewhere on those lists, although probably not in the top-5 considering lack of European success
I'd like to also mention those, even though they don't really compete for the GOAT transfer status:
  • Gaetano Scirea. He came to Juve from Atalanta after 2 seasons of professional football and ended up winning 7 Serie A titles, 2 Italian Cups and literally every available UEFA Club competition — all while being the most integral part of one of the greatest defensive units in history. Considering his overall impact on Juve I think he can be considered their most important transfer of all-time, although he has some serious competition in Buffon, Charles/Sívori and a few others
  • Javier Zanetti. It's impossible to imagine that Zanetti actually had a career before Inter, and that says it all
  • Luigi Riva. He was signed by Cagliari as a 19-years old, for a considerable sum and he would spent the rest of his career there, leading them first to a promotion from Serie B and proceeding to win a Serie A title (it's arguably the most impressive underdog achievement in Serie A history, topping Maradona's Napoli and Elkjær's Verona), then coming close to winning them a second one: they were leading the table before he got his leg broken. He also refused a multiple transfer offers from Juventus that would've made him the world's most expensive player at the time. With 3 capocannoniere awards and a golden goal in the 1968 Euros final he's generally considered to be the greatest striker (number 9, so he's not competing with Baggio or Meazza, only with Piola) in Italian history
  • László Kubala. Famously the man who had forced Barcelona to build Camp Nou as so many people came every week to watch him play. Also officially the greatest player in Barcelona's history — a title that sounds a bit ridiculous now, but the vote was taken in 1999, so it didn't include the now-obvious suspects.
There are a few transfers in United's history that also can be mentioned alongside those, most notably Law, Robson and Keane. Henry for Arsenal should also be taken in consideration when we're talking about the most impactful transfers in history of English football. Lampard from West Ham was also a bargain and I'd say that he's probably the most consistent/best player in Chelsea's history.

Platini to Juventus
I like this one as well, although, again, it probably doesn't deserve a spot in top-3 or top-5 considering his relatively short peak and the original strength of that Juve side. Still, he was a Cantona-esque catalyst that allowed a fantastic Juventus team to make that final step up and get their first ever European Cup — introducing them properly as a part of a European elite and not "just" as a domestic giant.

P.S. I forgot that Gerd Müller wasn't an academy product! He's for sure getting straight into the top bracket. Probably as a #3 or a #4.

JPRouve

Scout
Cristiano to Madrid.
Cantona to United.
Lewandowski to Bayern.
Maradona to Napoli.
I'd pick Rooney to us too.
An other great suggestion that completely slipped my mind, an obvious one too. Also do we generally recognize him as one of the very best strikers of all time? I think that we should.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
For United.

Keane even though it was the British transfer record at the time, he was the catalyst and leader of the treble team.

Cantona, the main reason we finally won the league for the first time in 30 years.

Irwin, cost peanuts and was incredible for years.

Schmeichel, cost peanuts and became the best GK in the world.

Ronaldo, due to how good he became for us and we sold him for a ridiculous profit.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
In modern football, the answer has to be Lewandowski to Bayern. Look at what he has won with Bayern and how good he has been for them and cost them no transfer fee. Difficult to top in my opinion.