Who is the Captain, if not Maguire

Giggsy13

Rangnick has been refreshing in his honesty thus far and called out Maguire for his weak moments in the last two games, which have cost us 4 points, but is not prepared to strip him of the captaincy. I think many are of the view that Maguire doesn't deserve the captaincy and was given the honour prematurely. Being United captain matters, as history suggests and Maguire seems to turtle in big moments.

If not Maguire, who would you choose from this squad? Personally, I would go Varane. He's young enough, decorated with medals and trophies, and seems to carry himself like United greats of the past. His handling of the Phil Jones number "controversy" also shows a level of class and respect. It likely won't happen now, but we definitely need to consider Varane as the captain next season.

m1tch

Bruno. Can't give it Varane if he's missing nearly as many games as Jones.

SuperiorXI

I'd honestly not have a captain. I'd tell the feckers no one is having it until they can get to at least the bare minimum level required for the club. I am the captain now.

L1nk

Varane is the only one with the presence, the experience and the mentality for me.

De Gea - Guys to scared to even come off his line, just has no commanding presence at all
Bruno - Not sure why everyone is suggesting this, because he shouts alot?

Jackal981

Varane would be a good shout. A proven winner. And to survive multiple reign in Madrid shows how good he is.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The sad thing is that we really don't have any good options.

Varane is experienced at the top level, but he's not really a leader as far as I know. He's more someone who'll just do his own thing.

Personality wise, Bruno and McTominay are the only ones who really stand out. But Bruno probably goes overboard and bitches too much, plus has the tendency to be too 'showy' when complaining about things when he himself is doing the same or worse. And McTominay talks a great game off the pitch but he simply isn't good enough on the pitch and ends up being invisible when we really need the midfield to stand up and control when we have the ball.

Redlyn

If it changes today, I pick DDG,
if it changes in the summer we can put Varane in consideration (assuming he plays most of the remaining games this season). But not sure if he is a natural leader.
For some reason I am not keen on Bruno.

Not even remotely true.
This season it is certainly true and I guess its what he does for us that matters.

Pintu

Pogba should have been made captain when his head was still here...

GreatDane

I would like to see McTominay be put as captain in a lesser game, my hope is he would rise with the responsibility.
Might be more of a romantic thought but he has many of the qualities that I like, just need more presence.

Stacks

I would like to see McTominay be put as captain in a lesser game, my hope is he would rise with the responsibility.
Might be more of a romantic thought but he has many of the qualities that I like, just need more presence.
Captain sets the standard and he is not necessarily of the standards. He may be on the bench very soon and he commands little respect

lost7

I would have said Bruno a while ago, but I think mentally he loses the plot too easily to be our captain right now. Maybe if he matures...

Has to be Maguire. If not him, then De Gea

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Rangnick has been refreshing in his honesty thus far and called out Maguire for his weak moments in the last two games, which have cost us 4 points, but is not prepared to strip him of the captaincy. I think many are of the view that Maguire doesn't deserve the captaincy and was given the honour prematurely. Being United captain matters, as history suggests and Maguire seems to turtle in big moments.

If not Maguire, who would you choose from this squad? Personally, I would go Varane. He's young enough, decorated with medals and trophies, and seems to carry himself like United greats of the past. His handling of the Phil Jones number "controversy" also shows a level of class and respect. It likely won't happen now, but we definitely need to consider Varane as the captain next season.
Bruno is the obvious answer. He seems to actually gives a shit, can't say the same for many of the others.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
I would have said Bruno a while ago, but I think mentally he loses the plot too easily to be our captain right now. Maybe if he matures...

Has to be Maguire. If not him, then De Gea
Maybe giving him the arm band helps in that regard, who knows.

0le

I would say one of Bruno, Varane or perhaps McT.

Not sure what is so funny about the suggestion. There are not many players in the team who could wear the armband and therefore some compromises will inevitably need to be made.

RedCurry

Do you really need a “club captain”? How about we hand the armband based on recent performances and display of leadership skills, until someone can consistently claim it and he can naturally be considered the club captain?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not Bruno. Giving the ball away, complaining and flapping your arms about all game does not make a good captain.

It's slim pickings, hence why Maguire is captain in the first place.

RedDevil@84

Just give it to Bruno or Varane. At least they will be more vocal and will have some ba**s to talk to ref when blatant handballs are ignored. Will be far better than the constipated look that Maguire has when things don't go our way.

hobbers

De Gea obviously.

Bruno is a stroppy melt. Not captain material.

McTominay would be best outfield but he shouldnt be in the starting lineup if we ever actually plan on improving.

The Gatekeeper

Supports
Southend United
Don't club captains have off-field obligations too? No-one want to consider that?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's not even that he's a bad CB, its the fact that he's one of the least calmest players in the team.
He panicks when things do not go his way and loses his head.