Who is the current best player in the world?

Paul_Scholes18

Not Lewandowski anymore. 0 goals in the harder games in Europe. Can only score in the farmer league he plays in so far. Total failure this season.
Son though is scoring both in the top league that is PL and also in hard european games in EL. He is the man you want.

It says current so last season doesn't matter as much.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Not Lewandowski anymore. 0 goals in the harder games in Europe. Can only score in the farmer league he plays in so far. Total failure this season.
Son though is scoring both in the top league that is PL and also in hard european games in EL. He is the man you want.

It says current so last season doesn't matter as much.
Maaaan, put some white text in there

Supports
England
So all in all both are All Time Greats (just like Pele, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Cruyff etc.), but most fans will value Messi slightly higher than Ronaldo, since he just had that one bit of "extra magic" or "flair", that Ronaldo just doesn't have.
HGH.

I know that Messi wouldn't be a professional footballer without it but I often wonder what he would've been like if he didn't need it, and what, if any, additional advantage it has conferred upon him. I suspect that it's effect has been non-zero, though it's impossible to extricate him from the effect of exogenous physiologic hormones.

Supports
England
If we break it down to per league...

Serie A - Ronaldo and uh.. Zlatan?
La Liga - Messi and uh.. just Oblak?
PL - Van Dijk, Kane, Son, De Bruyne and.....
Bundesliga - Lewa, Kimmich, Neuer
Ligue 1 - Neymar and Mbappe(?)

None really standout than all the rest. Some is better than some others in regards to form but generally everyone is on par. For now.
Good post. Broadly agree with the choices.

Supports
England
Unfortunately premiership clubs are really good at wasting money. The money theory is nice and cute until you realise clubs like ours are messing about misusing all its resources. If it's not one thing its the other. As someone pointed out, when prem clubs run into clubs from other leagues this apparent gap in quality is nowhere to be seen.

These so called good teams would be rendered mediocre by Lewa and his current crew. Ask Spurs and Chelsea last season, got spanked not so differently to how most bundesliga reams are treated by that team on a week to week basis.

So pardon us if we don't quite believe this theory. If Bayern was in the prem only pool and an in form City would live with them. Everyone else would be fodder.
This argument is only sufficient to illustrate that Bayern Munich, the super-dominant top-one team in their league, are probably good enough to do very well in the PL. It says little about how the Bundesliga as a whole stacks up against the PL, unless you start using some really tenuous transitivity logic (similar to the outrageous unofficial world cup winners who hold the title because they beat x who beat y who beat z who beat someone good).

GameOn

This argument is only sufficient to illustrate that Bayern Munich, the super-dominant top-one team in their league, are probably good enough to do very well in the PL. It says little about how the Bundesliga as a whole stacks up against the PL, unless you start using some really tenuous transitivity logic (similar to the outrageous unofficial world cup winners who hold the title because they beat x who beat y who beat z who beat someone good).
Let's not fool ourselves: If Bayern played in the Premier League, they would've won the league at least 6 or 7 times this past decade.

Same goes for Real and Barca btw.

Those three teams have been the standard for 10+ years now.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Let's not fool ourselves: If Bayern played in the Premier League, they would've won the league at least 6 or 7 times this past decade.

i agree with that, but city and liverpool are catching up since 3 years.

GameOn

i agree with that, but city and liverpool are catching up since 3 years.
I agree with Liverpool, but not with City anymore. They peaked 2 years ago and are already on the decline. When Pep leaves next summer, they'll just be a regular top-6 team.

James Peril

I agree with Liverpool, but not with City anymore. They peaked 2 years ago and are already on the decline. When Pep leaves next summer, they'll just be a regular top-6 team.
So you remove their ability to a) hire a new, progressive and astute manager and b) sign new players to replace their declining ones. Sounds good for the other teams able to sign players, huge advantage for us given City will not be able to replace their manager and players.

GameOn

So you remove their ability to a) hire a new, progressive and astute manager and b) sign new players to replace their declining ones. Sounds good for the other teams able to sign players, huge advantage for us given City will not be able to replace their manager and players.
The chances to replace Pep - like him or not - with an equally as capable manager are just very, very slim. Same thing with Liverpool and Klopp, once he leaves them. The City squad is fine, but nothing out of this world either. I think chances are good that they'll revert to their pre-Pep self again.

Back to the actual topic, here are my players from the top leagues, that have a realistic shot of being included in the "Top 3 players in the world" discussion right now.

Serie A - Ronaldo
La Liga - Messi
PL - Van Dijk, Kane, De Bruyne, Mané
Bundesliga - Lewandowski, Kimmich, Neuer
Ligue 1 - Mbappe, Neymar

I thought about including others like Bruno, Son, Salah, Alisson, Müller, Goretzka, Haaland, Ramos, Benzema, Oblak etc. in there, but those are just outside the top 10 currently imho.

Last edited:

Stacks

Well hes currently their top scorer despite not being their primary goal threat.
Son - All comps (10apps) - 10 G 4 A (14 goal contributions)
Kane - all comps (10apps) - 10 G 10A (20 goal contributions)

everyone and his dog knows Kane is the STAR of this team. If one player was up for sale, the queue for Kane would be infinitely longer

Son - All comps (10apps) - 10 G 4 A (14 goal contributions)
Kane - all comps (10apps) - 10 G 10A (20 goal contributions)

everyone and his dog knows Kane is the STAR of this team. If one player was up for sale, the queue for Kane would be infinitely longer
Yeah, those 5 goals against Maccabi Haifa, Lokomotiv Plovdiv and KF Skendija really count.

Son has scored in 6 of their last 7 and has been far more of a reason for their current league form than Kane.

Stacks

Yeah, those 5 goals against Maccabi Haifa, Lokomotiv Plovdiv and KF Skendija really count.

Son has scored in 6 of their last 7 and has been far more of a reason for their current league form than Kane.
why would they not count? Did Mason, Martial or Rashfords goals vs lesser opposition get dismissed last season?

current league form? The league has barely even started having only 5 games player. I rarely even look at the table until atleast 10 games have been played as everything before then doesn't decide anything long term. But if we really must then Son scored 4 goals in 1 game vs Southampton. He has also Goal contributions in 4 league games where Kane has in 5. Almost every goal Son scores is created by Kane but not vice versa. Kane defiantly the man

Supports
England
Son not even best at Spurs.
True. The general consensus among Spurs fans online, from what I've seen, is that while Son is the more naturally eye-catching player, Kane is still better overall. I'm with them on that. Not much in it though, to be fair.

I tend to believe anyone who says that Son is somehow miles ahead of Kane doesn't actually watch Spurs much and has been taken in by the former's flashiness. Those who watch every match know better.

Supports
England
why would they not count? Did Mason, Martial or Rashfords goals vs lesser opposition get dismissed last season?

current league form? The league has barely even started having only 5 games player. I rarely even look at the table until atleast 10 games have been played as everything before then doesn't decide anything long term. But if we really must then Son scored 4 goals in 1 game vs Southampton. He has also Goal contributions in 4 league games where Kane has in 5. Almost every goal Son scores is created by Kane but not vice versa. Kane defiantly the man
Son is scoring more this season by design so it makes no sense to use their goal stats as a point of comparison. Son's average position is far in advance of Kane.

Kane has been dropped deeper because he's the best playmaker Spurs have, in addition to being their best striker. He shouldn't be penalised for not scoring as many from a deeper role: he should be lauded for his versatility.

You're right.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
In my opinion this is a weird underestimation of Adama.

He's a player with unique physique and dribbling technique, there's no other player with similar qualities. Wouldn't pick him as top 5 in the world currently but he has such potential when used properly.

If given the choice between Lewandovski - reliable and clinical poacher playing for superb team - and Adama - unstoppable right wing in mediocre team - the thinking man's choice would be the latter.

For the 3-3-1-3 United revolution I've proposed in the Özil thread, the first choice for RW position is Hakimi but now I'm reconsidering and Adama Traore would likely be even better choice. With Amad Traore on the opposite flank.
@Damien does this warrant a tagline? He needs to be shamed :lol:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I'll got for Kimmich, just an outrageous player, pretty close to being the perfect midfielder at only 25 years old.

dal

Bruno has to be in contention.

He smashed it in Portugal and carried his fantastic stats through in the premier league.

GameOn

Bruno has to be in contention.

He smashed it in Portugal and carried his fantastic stats through in the premier league.
Bruno is great, but he's not on the (current) level of those guys:
Ronaldo, Messi, Van Dijk, Kane, De Bruyne, Mané, Lewandowski, Kimmich, Neuer, Mbappe, Neymar

Last edited:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Salah has carried an otherwise underwhelming liverpool attack this season.

GameOn

I'll got for Kimmich, just an outrageous player, pretty close to being the perfect midfielder at only 25 years old.
The more I watch Kimmich, the more I tend to agree to be honest.

He's just an absolute animal. Thing with him is, that aside from being a surpremely talented footballer with almost zero weaknesses, he's also a leader and has that "Ramos-factor" to him. The kind of sheer willpower to show up in big games and decide the match, even when your team isn't playing at its best.

He's done that multiple times the past few months, if I'm not mistaken (winning goal against Dortmund for the league title, assist for the winning goal in the CL final, winner in the German Supercup, winner against Moscow in the CL etc.).

He also has a bit of Ramos' intimidation factor tbh. His stare alone is coldblooded as feck.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Hard to pick between Kane and Son, both are at the top of their game atm.

I recall Bayern thrashing what you would consider a top five contender Spurs side by 7 goals to 2. I agree those three are the standard, but Liverpool and City have definitely made up some ground.