Who is the greatest ever captain?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Platini and Deschamps would be the french nominees with Platini being the most dominant.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Zidane was the worst shout imo.

Had a personality similar to Messi's, but was very inconsistent and simply "wasn't there" in too many games to become a reliable drive force by pure talent, like Messi did despite his shyness.

SAFMUTD

There is just something about Zidane that is cool. He's charismatic without running his mouth all the time. I'd say a bit like Keane, getting sent off for losing your cool is letting your team down. Especially in a wc final.
Yeah that's definitely the worse part in his career, but that France team wasn't even going to qualify to the world cup until Zidane came back and made them an absolute force.

Theonas

Scout
Has to be Maradona. Forget that he was as or more talented than any player who has ever lived. His will to win was also unsurpassed to the point that it crossed the line. His drive and leadership for Argentina and on that stage is a feat unmatched. Honourable mentions to Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini and Sir Bobby Charlton.

When it comes to longetivity and players who became associated with the role and were the personality in their clubs: Matthäus, Robson, Keane, Gerrard, Terry, Ramos, Puyol, Effenberg, Totti, Maldini off the top of my head.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Lahm was the greatest I have witnessed. He was incredibly consistent and reliable, always calm and composed and would confidently lead by example, no matter the stage.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Not surprised nobody has said McTominey

Marwood

Tony Mowbray at Middlesbrough is an honourable mention. Local lad who became captain in 1986 after the club went through liquidation. Captained them up to the top division. Lead by example at the back and popped up with some important goals including a diving header winner against Villa at the first ever football match my old fellar took me to when I was 9.

Luckily I never became a full Middlesbrough fan despite the old man taking me to a loa of matches over multiple seasons :lol:
I like this.

People confuse best captain with best player/team. Or most famous.

The answer to the question is likely a guy we've never realy given any attention to.

Trequarista10

It sounds nice, but there’s a chasm in standing and ability between Maradona and all but a handful of players who have every played football, on top of that, his will to win might be even greater than Keane’s. If Keane is a planet, Maradona is the sun.
So?

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Probably Maradona or Matthaus.

Germany 1990 world cup team had several captain personalities. One of the greatest teams.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Why are people saying Zidane? He wasn't captain when France and Real Madrid won was he. When he was captain in the 2006 final he let his team down.

Sergio Ramos might be an option.
he's not even the best french captain of his era. Deschamps was the iconic captain and Desailly was favoured over him until he retired as well. Platini was a more noted captain of his teams as well.

doughole

Pele.

The best captain and also football player that has ever lived.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Gerrard. Name another captain with a more famous on the field speech.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Zidane 100%
Zidane as a player was introverted almost like Messi, Best player on the field who will rather let his football do the talking
Zidane the player feels like someone who won't even speak up for himself never mind speak up for teammates
Did Zidane ever captain any of his clubsides or even NT? If he did it must be for a very short time

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
My feeling is Beckenbauer, although I wasn’t even born during those era, but simply his style of play, leading his team from defence to playmaking to attack, like a Kaiser, is there any other who is more influential throughout the pitch?

From what I’ve seen or understand though, I’d say Maradona, Matthaus, Baresi and Keane are the most influential/memorable ones.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Pele.

The best captain and also football player that has ever lived.
What?

Bellini captained Brazil in 1958 and 1966, Ramos in 1962, Carlos Alberto in 1970... I'm too lazy to check Santos year by year but Gilmar certainly captained them for a while when Pelé was already there and at his peak.

youngrell

This is an even better question.

Aside from actual performance levels on the pitch - which player had the biggest authority and would be the captain of a team full of captains?

A bit of a weird one: I can‘t imagine Effenberg without the armband. This guy captained a team that had one of the most authoritarian players of all time in it with Oliver Kahn.
Wasn’t Kahn captain in the 99 CL final?

bringbackbebe

When I hear of the word captain, Keane immediately springs to mind. If that's any benchmark to consider, then he's definitely the greatest captain.