g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Who is the greatest ever captain?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
This question has undoubtedly been asked before here but I don't remember the consensus.

By greatest captain I mean, a captain who played his best football when the team was in trouble in the biggest games and also inspired the players around him to raise their game.

Scottynaldinho

This question has undoubtedly been asked before here but I don't remember the consensus.

By greatest captain I mean, a captain who played his best football when the team was in trouble in the biggest games and also inspired the players around him to raise their game.
Ricky Ponting.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal

Zidane, Maradona

Trequarista10

Obviously biased but probably Roy Keane for me.

If you made a best XI of the best captains then Roy would take the armband over any of them.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sir Bobby Charlton.

To recover from the Munich air disaster and captain us to our first European Cup 10 years after the tragedy is incredible.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Sir Bobby Charlton.

To recover from the Munich air disaster and captain us to our first European Cup 10 years after the tragedy is incredible.
Great choice. I'd go with Socrates, captain of arguably the greatest football team in history and a certified OG.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
Modric for Croatia. Whether it’s taking the sting out of the game or speeding it up, everything goes through him. It’s not respected enough how he has carried Croatia to a WC final and a semi-final.

Credit where it’s due also for Stevie G. In tough times, he would either belt one in from 30 yards or do his trademark starfish dive to earn a penalty.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Thought Franz Beckenbauer was widely considered the GOAT captain, but it depends on the type of captain you want

Club legend captain: Paolo Maldini
Warrior captain: Roy Keane
Lead by example captain: Philipp Lahm

Overall: Beckenbauer

Loon

:lol:
I would obviously say Bryan Robson, but Bobby Moore is considered one of the greats.

Trezeguet17

If you made a best XI of the best captains then Roy would take the armband over any of them.
This is an even better question.

Aside from actual performance levels on the pitch - which player had the biggest authority and would be the captain of a team full of captains?

A bit of a weird one: I can‘t imagine Effenberg without the armband. This guy captained a team that had one of the most authoritarian players of all time in it with Oliver Kahn.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
For us to have had the likes of Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Eric Cantona and Steve Bruce in the same team was a ludicrous privilege. In any other era Schmeichel, Irwin and Hughes would have been considered excellent captains too.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
For us to have had the likes of Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Eric Cantona and Steve Bruce in the same team was a ludicrous privilege. In any other era Schmeichel, Irwin and Hughes would have been considered good captains too.
When Chelsea had the likes of Terry, Lampard, Drogba and Ballack in the same side, any of them would've been great captain. I think if you look at most really good sides in history and there will be multiple "captains".

SER19

I really do think it's Keane. Almost every player that played next to him says the same. They felt bigger as a result of him and he inspired fear in most opponents. He was also a brilliant player and won it all. Plenty of Irish fans will know of the Overmars tackle in must win qualifier for 2002 World Cup. That was a very good dutch team, likely confident of beating Ireland, and Keane made an early challenge that set the tone for the match but on the field and in the stadium. Had the same tackle been made by steve staunton for example, it wouldn't have caused such a reaction. He had an incredibly forceful personality and is hard to think of a better captain.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Hard not be biased but Bobby Charlton. Captained England to their only Wc glory as well.. Maradona at his peak as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
Hard not be biased but Bobby Charlton. Captained England to their only Wc glory as well.. Maradona at his peak as well.
That was Moore.

On the topic - for United undoubtedly Keane, Robson and Cantona. Sir Bobby is a great shout but feel the former three were a bit more influential.

Cruyff, Beckenbauer all time.

I also always felt Hierro and Adams were one of the most looked up to.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Only choosing from players I remember. Diamond formation.

Keeper: Neuer

RB: Lahm
CB: Puyol/Maldini
LB: Zanetti

DM: Keane
CM: Vieira/Zidane
AM: Totti

ST: Shearer/Henry

If you're choosing from them I think Maldini would get the nod.

whitbyviking

Tony Mowbray at Middlesbrough is an honourable mention. Local lad who became captain in 1986 after the club went through liquidation. Captained them up to the top division. Lead by example at the back and popped up with some important goals including a diving header winner against Villa at the first ever football match my old fellar took me to when I was 9.

Luckily I never became a full Middlesbrough fan despite the old man taking me to a loa of matches over multiple seasons :lol:

Gehrman

I'd say the most talented player on the pitch is not necessarily the best captain. I can remember Scholes saying that one thing he noticed about Messi was that he never spoke a word during matches. Of course as he became a legendary player any team mate would run through walls for him but id say its only later in his career that he stept into the role of captain properly.

Gehrman

Zidane 100%
There is just something about Zidane that is cool. He's charismatic without running his mouth all the time. I'd say a bit like Keane, getting sent off for losing your cool is letting your team down. Especially in a wc final.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Um… what single thing do you think Keane could say to: Di Stefano, Maradona, Beckenbauer and so forth?

The sentiment is well meaning, but these vastly superior players would have no need for Keane, and in Maradona’s case, the will to win is so consuming, it corrupts - he wouldn’t need geeing up from Keane, wouldn’t even acknowledge him unless he liked him as a person (see his attitude towards Passarella).

Oscar Bonavena

Maradona 86. An example of a player vastly superior to his teammates who lifts them to greater heights. Would have been easy for him to throw strops and sulk at their shortcomings but in the games, he was always encouraging them and urging them on.

Keane a great example of a captain who wasn't the most technically gifted on the team, but he made sure he extracted every ounce of talent and application from those around him, by sheer force of will and personality.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
When Maradona was on it and 100% focused, he made teammates feel invincible. On top of that, he was Maradona, giving everything he has and being as wired as a lunatic honed in on winning. Maradona could carry clubs and nations. Not sure it can go beyond him or Matthäus. Forces of nature who were also better than everyone else.

Trequarista10

Um… what single thing do you think Keane could say to: Di Stefano, Maradona, Beckenbauer and so forth?

The sentiment is well meaning, but these vastly superior players would have no need for Keane, and in Maradona’s case, the will to win is so consuming, it corrupts - he wouldn’t need geeing up from Keane, wouldn’t even acknowledge him unless he liked him as a person (see his attitude towards Passarella).
And what single thing do you think Maradona could say to Roy Keane?

Obviously, being captain of a side full of the greatest leaders to ever grace the game is a fairly easy job. But still, I'd take Keane. Cos its Roy fecking Keane.

RamosForeva

Supports
Real Madrid

Sergio Ramos

Gehrman

Obviously, being captain of a side full of the greatest leaders to ever grace the game is a fairly easy job. But still, I'd take Keane. Cos its Roy fecking Keane.
"I am an infinitely better footballer than you"

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

It sounds nice, but there’s a chasm in standing and ability between Maradona and all but a handful of players who have every played football, on top of that, his will to win might be even greater than Keane’s. If Keane is a planet, Maradona is the sun.

JogaBonitoRooney

Why are people saying Zidane? He wasn't captain when France and Real Madrid won was he. When he was captain in the 2006 final he let his team down.

Sergio Ramos might be an option.